LED light go off when flying at night
11387 27 2022-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 334072 ft
Singapore

OMG, during my first night flying on the first day my drone arrived, after take off midway about 20-30meter height the LED lights all went off.
It was harrowing to navigates it back in the dark & with many trees around!
Good thing I tilt the gimbal down n manage to bring it down.
Now after the latest firmware updates, it happens again!
To make matters worse, now the distance meter stays at --.
Shall try again tomorrow in day time n night.
Updates: Now I realized the problem. It was due to recording will turn the leds off.
DJI please allows toggling of this in future firmware.
We cannot add anything to it without breaching the 250gm limit.

2022-6-17
Use props
VSHurricaneVS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13228 ft
Germany

Haven’t tried it myself, but read that this is only when video recording is on. Otherwise the LED should blink in green.
2022-6-17
Use props
onymar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 564400 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The LEDs always switch off when recording.  
You will have to stop recording at night to see the LEDs.
Would be nice to have an option in DJY Fly to prevent that happening.
2022-6-17
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21307762 ft
Spain

This is so there are no light leaks in the recording.
There is no known way to enable lights during recording.
I highly recommend using a strobe to keep things legal!
2022-6-17
Use props
Hunter_UK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18973 ft
United Kingdom

Can you not override this by pressing the fn button twice?
2022-6-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

check your local laws but in america, you should be flying with a strobe at night, not the leds.  if not required in your country, these are still cheap and very helpful and effective for flying at night.
2022-6-17
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

onymar Posted at 6-17 08:47
The LEDs always switch off when recording.  
You will have to stop recording at night to see the LEDs.
Would be nice to have an option in DJY Fly to prevent that happening.

Agree, DJI should have the option to leave the LEDs on while recording like in the older DJI GO 4. Sometimes we continue recording even during RTH just to capture incase anything happens like a crash footage area. Adding third party strobes will definitely increase the weight beyond 250g (reason why I chose to get the Mini in first place) in most countries regulations.
2022-6-17
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2205121 ft
Spain

This is a BIG PROBLEM in Europe. In all EASA countries it is mandatory to fly at night with a green light. With the mini2 this does not happen, but now with the mini3 Pro the lights go out which causes a violation of the law if you have not installed any flashing green light.
If the light goes out because this light enters the camera, it means a design flaw. Much better to have a light like the mini2 all the time at night than no lights at all, and they could have already put them on the rear arms.
I hope this light does not affect the recording and can be activated with a firmware update, otherwise it will limit the use that can be made of the drone because for urban night flights the drone must weigh less than 250gr and carry the green light, adding any external I fear it will exceed this weight.

P.S.: I just remember an autonomous strobe light with only 4gr of weight: https://store.flytron.com/collec ... bon-cree-standalone

Really I hope this is unnecesary, and very soon this lights are going to keep on when recording.
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

VSHurricaneVS Posted at 6-17 08:35
Haven’t tried it myself, but read that this is only when video recording is on. Otherwise the LED should blink in green.

Yes, now I realized
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

VSHurricaneVS Posted at 6-17 08:35

Yes, now I realized
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

RepublicOfAir Posted at 6-17 14:21
This is a BIG PROBLEM in Europe. In all EASA countries it is mandatory to fly at night with a green light. With the mini2 this does not happen, but now with the mini3 Pro the lights go out which causes a violation of the law if you have not installed any flashing green light.
If the light goes out because this light enters the camera, it means a design flaw. Much better to have a light like the mini2 all the time at night than no lights at all, and they could have already put them on the rear arms.
I hope this light does not affect the recording and can be activated with a firmware update, otherwise it will limit the use that can be made of the drone because for urban night flights the drone must weigh less than 250gr and carry the green light, adding any external I fear it will exceed this weight.

Yes, now I realized
But mini3 weight is near the 249gm limit. Nothing can be added without breaching the limit.
20220618_112139.jpg
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

Nazar78 Posted at 6-17 14:04
Agree, DJI should have the option to leave the LEDs on while recording like in the older DJI GO 4. Sometimes we continue recording even during RTH just to capture incase anything happens like a crash footage area. Adding third party strobes will definitely increase the weight beyond 250g (reason why I chose to get the Mini in first place) in most countries regulations.

Hopefully future firmware resolves this. Look at the weight of mini3! Nothing can be added without going over the limit!
20220618_112139.jpg
2022-6-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

If the light goes out because this light enters the camera, it means a design flaw. Much better to have a light like the mini2 all the time at night than no lights at all, and they could have already put them on the rear arms.

you realize the purpose of the led lights on the mini 3 pro are for status and in no way supposed to be relied upon for night flight...in any country.  therefore, it is not a design flaw since it was never intended for any other purpose.  if you cannot use it any other way, that's not great to hear but you cannot demand dji to make it so...what if the leds are all blue?  in america, technically the leds are not bright enough to comply....the best move is to find your own solution; they are out there.

if the status leds in any way affect the quality of the video then that would suck and i think dji tried to minimize but it's hardly a design flaw (not trying to nitpick since i know you are using the word loosely).
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

The Saint Posted at 6-17 19:52
you realize the purpose of the led lights on the mini 3 pro are for status and in no way supposed to be relied upon for night flight...in any country.  therefore, it is not a design flaw since it was never intended for any other purpose.  if you cannot use it any other way, that's not great to hear but you cannot demand dji to make it so...what if the leds are all blue?  in america, technically the leds are not bright enough to comply....the best move is to find your own solution; they are out there.

if the status leds in any way affect the quality of the video then that would suck and i think dji tried to minimize but it's hardly a design flaw (not trying to nitpick since i know you are using the word loosely).

In my country for night flying it must be lighted n VLOS. Hence the led helps.
Look at the weight of mini3, nothing can be added without going over the limit.
DJI can simply allows toggling of it.
I actually have a strobe light too.
20220618_112139.jpg
20220618_112246.jpg
20220618_112335.jpg
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

Yes I am with you. Hopefully DJI listens.
Btw the 4gm light also cannot be added to mini3 without breaching the 250 limit.
20220618_112139.jpg
2022-6-17
Use props
SiRius. ly
lvl.2
Singapore

Nazar78 Posted at 6-17 14:04

Agrees with u fully.
20220618_112139.jpg
2022-6-17
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

I want to be able to disable the built-in green LED status lights.  Is that possible?
2022-6-17
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

you realize the purpose of the led lights on the mini 3 pro are for status and in no way supposed to be relied upon for night flight...in any country.  therefore, it is not a design flaw since it was never intended for any other purpose.  if you cannot use it any other way, that's not great to hear but you cannot demand dji to make it so...what if the leds are all blue?  in america, technically the leds are not bright enough to comply....the best move is to find your own solution; they are out there.

I have been reviewing the user manual to see if it explicitly says the functionality of the lights but nothing specific appears about its functionality. It is tacitly understood that a function is to indicate the status, in that case, it makes no sense that they turn off when recording since the status of the drone remains the same. If it interferes with the video quality, wouldn't it be a "correct" design to have located the lights in a place where they don't interfere with the quality of the recording and remains indicating the drone status?

On the other hand, DJI seems to have tried to prepare the drone for a class C0 marking in the next regulation, even not selling the highest capacity battery in Europe, however it does not comply with the lighting at night in Europe at least would be absurdly easy to comply with, because it does not specifies the distance at which it should be visible or the intensity, just some blinking green lights, which already exist... but turn off when recording. Is it really not a design or firmware flaw?

I have belonged to a design team and for sure, this would fall within what could be considered a design flaw. If you don't take advantage of the resources you already have to comply with local regulations or any other question, to get the most of customer satisfaction, what is it then?

If it is not a design flaw, I could only understand that DJI has done it intentionally to create an "incomplete" product to make it more attractive to jump to a new model in the future that does have those "little" things that in fact, could already have.

It's just that as much as I think about it, it doesn't make much sense:

In Europe they give us a drone that has green lights to comply with the regulation, weighs less than 250 grams to comply with the regulation, those green lights could also serve to comply with the night flight regulation, but no, they tell you that you already have to use an external device (DJI does not recommend to use any no official device... that makes the drone exceed 250gr and stop complying with the regulations, does it make sense?

In the US I suppose it is easier to exceed the weight without major consequences than to register, but here in Europe you already have to register with a drone of less than 250gr and you cannot directly fly in urban if it exceeds that weight, then we have a magnificent drone with a very bright optics and larger sensor to be able to record much better at night but that does not comply with the regulations for flying at night. I find it a bit ridiculous.

If the lights have only status purposes, why DJI did not keep something like Mini 1/2/SE?. But no, if you observe, the lights are orientated down to see them from earth. ¿really do you need to watch the status at a distance of 800 feet ? no, these leds are also to watch the drone at night.

I hope that in a new firmware update at least, they will give us the option to keep it on or not, then you can put a little piece of tape or 3d printed piece to keep the light out of the camera and it weighs less than 250gr.
2022-6-21
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

Burstmode Posted at 6-17 20:57
I want to be able to disable the built-in green LED status lights.  Is that possible?

Not for now, maybe in a next firmware update (i wisht also, but to keep it on while recording)
2022-6-21
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

SiRius. ly Posted at 6-17 19:46
Yes, now I realized
But mini3 weight is near the 249gm limit. Nothing can be added without breaching the limit.

I hope DJI let us to decide to toggle on or off in the recordings, is very easy  (I think) to solve greenish tint in the video even with a tiny piece of tape without affecting the visibility of lights from earth. But if not, maybe the stobon can comply with less than 4gr... but if you add a filter for hyperlapse...

This looks like a bad  joke from DJI.
2022-6-21
Use props
Luca Rubino
Second Officer
Flight distance : 711512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

EU in not US.
Here you need at least one green light to fly in night time. There is not specification about how bright it could be. So yes, If you don’t record with you M3P, you can flight by night in EU.
In mavic 3 there is an option to don’t turn off green lights while you are recording. To be 100% complaint to EU laws.
2022-6-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Luca Rubino Posted at 6-21 09:37
EU in not US.
Here you need at least one green light to fly in night time. There is not specification about how bright it could be. So yes, If you don’t record with you M3P, you can flight by night in EU.
In mavic 3 there is an option to don’t turn off green lights while you are recording. To be 100% complaint to EU laws.

i understand what it takes to be compliant in the eu which is definitely not a part of the United States.  it's just that you are attempting to hijack a feature on the drone and try to turn it into some sort of compliance issue which as far as i can tell, dji possibly has other overall plans for the led.  if by chance it works out, fine.  if you want to ask dji, fine.  but i'm also positive dji did not attempt to gain any sort of eu compliance (and missed the mark) with the form and functionality of the leds which is unfortunate for eu nightfliers.  i get it, other drones comply by coincidence.  however, for this drone, you have other options so i wouldn't sweat it.

for this situation, it's fine....put in the led switch options.  but eu flyers need to set their expectations.  applying switches and limiting accessory sales is one thing but i'm not a fan of dji burdening a single sku drone with a bunch of ridiculous eu regulations that might be coming in the future.  honestly requiring a green light on a drone at night is borderline stupid imo.  requiring that they stay on at all time (at night) is even more stupid.  backstory for context:  someone once told me this drone should prevent lift-off with a heavy battery installed and allowing it would violate regs b.s.
2022-6-21
Use props
djiuser_AztSil4gVQgZ
New

United States

Terrible since this is against FAA regulations!!!
2023-9-24
Use props
djiuser_z49ZcBuVEpId
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214124 ft
United Kingdom

You buy a drone for almost £1000 and you have a problem with the lights and the weight of the drone.  And A2 costs £80 and you can attach whatever you want to 500 grams.  Good luck. And one more thing, if you have A2, you buy batteries plus and you fly longer and there are no crowds of people at night.
17007720805573054014592756850714.jpg
17007721033657321936332221276861.jpg
17007721417221650577147606061520.jpg
2023-11-23
Use props
djiuser_9LrGd9VQRNrM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7505180 ft

United States

I m on my 9th drone.  If DJI R CHINESEVSPYS, SEND ME A BETTER LIKE the 4
5-28 07:17
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 2022-6-17 13:19
check your local laws but in america, you should be flying with a strobe at night, not the leds.  if not required in your country, these are still cheap and very helpful and effective for flying at night.

Not necessary in the UK, but I got a stobe clip-on for mine when night flying and there's no problem spotting it some distance away, far better than just the LEDs although I would't want to flim with it on.

Cheers
5-29 09:07
Use props
Gabriel Tallon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2288504 ft
United States

It's just so that the lights don't appear in the video, but it would be nice to be able to turn them on anyways.
5-29 11:39
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

Luca Rubino Posted at 2022-6-21 09:37
EU in not US.
Here you need at least one green light to fly in night time. There is not specification about how bright it could be. So yes, If you don’t record with you M3P, you can flight by night in EU.

Be careful not all EU countries are the same. There’s no problem in France because nighttime flying is not allowed.
5-29 22:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules