Rear Blades Not Working
2226 13 2014-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WestyBob
lvl.1

United States

Hello all!  I just tried my first flight with a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ that we purchased here in Colorado.  I have read all of the manuals, watched the videos and checked out the great information here on the forum.  We went to a local field and powered up all of the equipment.  I got the blades to spin, but when I attempted to power them up and lift the unit, the two front blades (battery side) ramped up in speed, but the rear blades did not appear to come to full speed as the unit simply flipped backwards and ended up resting on the blades.  Since my dealer was so close, I hopped over there to see if they could help.  We tried lift off again in their parking lot and one of the rear blades would not even spin up.  They suspect a bad board, but indicated that I needed to contact DJI as they could do nothing.  So, long story short, brand new unit, bad right out of the box is my guess.  Any suggestions from the group would be awesome!!  Thanks all!!

2014-12-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

One thing, did you do the compass calibration in the field before you took off,  moving the S1 switch 5 or 6 times to get the solid yellow lights.  Then do the "phantom dance" in a circle and then pointing the camera to the ground and doing the circle again to get the flashing green lights?
2014-12-1
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If it's that new; they should accept it and refund or replace your purchase.  I'd push the location you purchased it from to replace as an out-of-box failure and if they won't I'd contact your credit card company and file a complaint.  You shouldn't need to deal with a new, out of box failure; that is what the dealer channel is for.
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

He might not have bought it from this local dealer. Mearly took it there
2014-12-1
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

umpa Posted at 2014-12-2 05:09
He might not have bought it from this local dealer. Mearly took it there

True, and a valid caveat but he should still be able to return it to the place of purchase for replacement and not need to deal with DJI as a warranty repair.
2014-12-1
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Compass calibration every time before you fly, is essential, and 7 sat locks, not 6 as the manual says
2014-12-1
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

IMU calibration....

Same Sx from another posts here not long ago.

Use DJI Asst and calibrate  IMU

Fixes it..hopefully
2014-12-1
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

2014-12-1
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You mentioned:

We tried lift off again in their parking lot and one of the rear blades would not even spin up.

I can't see how an IMU and compass calibration would fix that but I can see how it would fix the issues you show in the video.
2014-12-1
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

By default is not the Left stick the throttle ?
Trying to take off using the Right stick will make it flip over.
What Mode is the transmitter in, mode 1 or mode 2 ?
2014-12-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Uhhh, a couple of clarifications please.  Not trying to insult your intelligence by asking this -- do you still have the red label that came on your transmitter and were you using the left stick to take off?
You describe the "battery side" as the front?  Actually, that is considered the tail -- the camera points to the front and the red stickers on the arms also indicate the front.  "johnwarr" may be spot on with his diagnosis if you were in mode 1.
When you took it to the dealer did he actually try to fly it or did he just watch you and give an opinion (i.e., are you sure he actually had experience flying a Phantom?)
You may want to seriously consider some prop guards in the future, they will save the props and the motors from a tip over like this.

tipover.gif
2014-12-2
Use props
WestyBob
lvl.1

United States

These are awesome responses!!  I was thinking of the prop guards, but have been torn as to their use after reading some posts that prop guards may alter the actual flight dynamics of the unit.  We did the dance but it seems as though the two props were not spinning as fast as the other two props and thus the lift provided simply flipped the unit over towards the not-rotating-as-nicely props.  In response to dealing directly with the dealer here in Colorado where we purchased the unit, they claim that they will not replace the unit but that we must deal with DJI (or in our case directly with UAV Direct).  Funny story on our dealer, they were not even clear how to turn on the Phantom, so not much help there.  Can you tell I am a complete newbie here?  While I at least can turn on the unit, I am still a bit sketchy on my front versus back and thus REALLY appreciate all of the amazing help!  More later as our saga continues!  I am really hopeful that eventually we can get back to sharing some amazing video footage and not wringing my tear-stained hands over this short false start!!
2014-12-2
Use props
WestyBob
lvl.1

United States

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-2 05:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKia1EYKDP4&app=desktop

This is absolutely perfect and thank you very much for sharing!!  This might be our problem as well!  I will try this out and report back!
2014-12-2
Use props
WestyBob
lvl.1

United States

Thanks again for all of the great tips and advice!  Over the past few days I have managed to figure out that the DJI Phantom software is not compatible with my older Mac operating system.  I found the free download of OS X Yosemite, which in turn actually killed some of my photography software (Aperture).  Reading forums on Apple, I located a free upgrade (saved me $80.00) of Aperture, which now works perfectly!  After I figured this out, I download the new version of the DJI software and all of the updates completed without any trouble.  I also performed the IMU calibration!!  Tomorrow, we go out again and fly this crazy thing (fingers crossed!!).
2014-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules