Making Sense of "Airsense"
904 8 2022-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JerseyJim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1692270 ft
United States

Im a new owner of this wonderful Air 2S, and am learning new features every day. Yesterday I sought to learn the aircraft proximity "Airsense" feature. Every time I went into Advanced Safety Features menu and switched on the "Airsense" feature, the switch was off and not blue like when I left that menu page. Countless times. I even acknowledged the prompt after switching it on.  Now today, a day later, whenever I go back in to that menu to switch it on, it already is. This is how I expected it to work. I also successfully saw an occassional plane pass by and even had a visual on a small cesna plane half mile away. It seems to not warn on my flying screen unless the plane flies within the other map's "3-mile radius". Otherwise I have to keep checking the other map to look for planes in the area. I have it warning me on even "low-risk collision". This feature works wonderfully. However, I made an observation that I was hoping others could confirm is truly how this works...
      No matter where I flew the drone, the other map that shows the nearby aircraft, had it's 3-mile radius fixed what seemed to be around me, the remote controller and not the drone. I also suspect this as when I was hovering a couple hundred feet above my house, and a plane was about to enter this 3-mile radius, I entered my house and the plane changed orientation/direction too quickly to be real, and the plane eventually dissapeared from screen. This plane was too close to lose signal from my drone high up, and that is why I suspect the ADS-B receiver is inside the controller and not the drone.
      Granted, the path of the detected aircraft would show the path to my drone, but I amu trying to understand this feature inside and out. Is that everyone's observation? And have you encountered this feature not remaining "on" when going back into the advanced safety feature menu (at bottom of screen)? Today seems to be remaining on though.
    Thanks.
2022-6-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

first i think you should know that not every aircraft is broadcasting.
2022-6-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Non flight plan flights are not required to have ADSB switched on. I have found that manned AC above and beyond a certain distance will show on the map, but not activate the warning.
2022-6-20
Use props
JerseyJim
lvl.2
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-20 10:01
Non flight plan flights are not required to have ADSB switched on. I have found that manned AC above and beyond a certain distance will show on the map, but not activate the warning.

I discovered the same thing.... any AC outside the circle around the drone/operator will not show the warning on the App screen. This also seems dependent on which level of risk you choose. I set it to warn me of even the lowest risk, and 3 miles away was the furthest away I received a warning, as the AC approached into the circle.
         My frustration was that the feature would not stay switched on, indicated by the white switch turning blue. Today was the only day that it stayed on for 1 flight this morning.
       Now I mostly get the "Airsense Communication Error"  and when I do, the map instantly loses the airplane icon on the map, allowing me to chose the 3 levels of risk awareness. I'm starting to think the ADS-B receiver is intermittently connecting/disconnecting. very frustrating.
       When it worked this morning, I saw about 10 planes during my 30 minute flight. the smallest was a cesna which flew into my area and as close a 1/2 mile, up 2600 feet. The rest were larger and faster. I liked very much how it worked, when it briefly worked.
2022-6-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I don't know why, but some settings only stay if you close the settings screen by touching the empty area to the left side instead of using the back arrow. Try that.
2022-6-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Airsense receiver is in the aircraft, not the controller. Also, it is only one way, you can see other aircraft, they cannot see you. And ADSB is not mandatory for all aircraft, a high percentage of aircraft have mechanical instrumentation, so they do not have electric power to power a system, therefore are exempt from carrying ADSB.
2022-6-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JerseyJim. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. For additional reference, the DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile application. In addition, I will post a DJI link where in you can read more about the DJI AirSense ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense ).  Thank you.

2022-6-20
Use props
JerseyJim
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I would be very interested in videos of the actual feature in use on the screen, particularly for a newer firmware revision for the Air 2S. I've gone through days of countless videos that barely touch on these basics of the feature. After all, it is pretty basic, but I would like to see how people exit the menus after switching it on, although I've been trying every combination of backing out once enabling this feature.
        Every other feature on this drone works predictably and reliably, except this one. I think I have a faulty receiver. Of the very few times it does activate, it shows the extra Aircraft icon at the bottom of the column, below the "layers" icon on the aircraft activity map. This icon allows me to choose the "risk level" consisting of flight path, proximity, etc. toward my 3-mile radius circle.  Then this icon goes out and I get the "Airsense Communication Error".
The one flight that it stayed on long enough, an entire flight, (high hover actually), It showed as much as 2 and 3 aircraft on the screen, as far away as 7 or 8 miles. A box also displayed on the map with 2 numerical values. One example I recall a 35,786 and a 7,244 value. This seemed to correspond to the 35,786 feet away that I approximated the plane was away from me, and I supposed 7244 feet high. It also showed the Aircraft's position/direction updating on the map every few seconds.  This is how I would expect it to work, but it wont stay enabled long enough, when it rarely does.

Another thing, when I switch on the feature, I am then promted to "Enable" this feature. Along with that enable prompt, A short paragraph explains how DJI sends me AC info in my area. It was my understanding that the infor was soley from drone to my controller. That explanation was a little misleading. Is this what everyone else sees on a new firmware release for the AIR 2S?

It doesn't sound as if many people even find any value in this feature, or even use it. Do you get this impression?
I found this feature particularly valuable on one weekend vacationing in our motorhome, in a touristy town in PA. two colorful (private?)  helocopters flew by several minutes apart at well below 400 feet, right across the same farmland that I was flying just hours before that.  Of all the years I've been there, I had never seen AC over that immediate farmland. I just want this feature to work, and work consistently.  Every feature on the DJI Fly app is intuitive and easily selectable. I am really starting to believe I have a loose connection on the drone-board stack for this feature's receiver. I just wonder if it is interconnected via connector, or pressure connections. I'm now getting tothe point where I'm doing more research and trouibleshooting than flying.  That's what's losing it's luster for me.

Please feel free to drop me any links, video or not, of those using this feature in depth, beyond the basics.  Again, I don't run across many using this feature enough to have a good selection of videos.

Thanks all for the interest in my dilemma.

2022-6-21
Use props
JerseyJim
lvl.2
United States

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Problem Solved!!!!!    After 2 weeks of struggling and searching for an answer why my new Air 2S would not turn on and leave on the "AirSense" feature, I stumbled upon what would Turn on the feature and leave it on, from flight to flight, and from boot-up to boot-up.  I even spent an hour on DJI customer support, and all they could come up with was to send it in for a replacement.  I now get the AIrSense  "Switch" to stay on and blue, and now the airplane icon on the map now shows every time, allowing  me to select the risk level awareness. In the past I would switch on and enable the AirSense feature,  then exit that menu (various ways), and immediately go back in to only see dozens upon dozens of times the feature would not stay enabled.
        I stumbled upon the solution by trying a different boot-up sequence than I was using. I now first launch the DJI Fly App, just stopping short of going to the fly screen. I then turn on the drone and allow it to finish it's gimbal exercise. Then lastly I turn on the hand-held controller. At this point the DJI Fly app goes to the fly screen automatically. The Airsense feature truly switched on and remains selected "ON" and enabled since the last time the drone was powered up.
       When Shutting down after landing, I first turn off the drone, then the controller, then shut down the App. Works flawlessly for days now and dozens of flights.  I wish DJI could have shared that with me, instead of having to do their testing and troubleshooting for them.  At least I can prevent someone else from going through what i went through.        This feature is of particular value to me, because I live 7 or so miles from a hospital with a helocopter landing pad, and I often get low flying copters past my area. I also live in a very rural area with much crop duster activity. 2 days ago I was flying in an open park of 74 acres of open park and farmfields, and a helo flew by at 258 feet (Airsense reported) as the copter flew right over the park. Then 30 minutes later a crop duster flew by on his way to or from the job, and was flying even lower!  This is a great feature once you can get it to go on.
2022-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules