6346 21 2022-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone chappy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 782602 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is it ok to charge the batteries or controller via this method in the car .
Is it safe for the mini 3 pro charging hub and the batteries /controller?
So usb into the cigarette lighter and type c into the Dji equipment.
Thanks in advance.
2022-6-20
Use props
HamDesigner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33996 ft
United States

Yes.  Any USB-C cable, when hooked to a power source, will charge it.
Whether or not it charges significantly fast enough depends on the adaptor.
2022-6-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I found an adaptor for the cigarette lighter socket to convert to twin USB A sockets at Amazon. It works with a USB A to USB C cable to charge phones and drone RCs. Not yet used it for the drone batteries but no reason it shouldn't work for them, albeit slowly.
2022-6-20
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Yes, cigarette lighter plug with voltage and USB adaptors, to equipment with USB-C** Note:  Since you are using the "cigarette lighter socket," (that usually is 12 Volts)
you need a voltage adaptor such as Blériot53 mentioned in the post above. **)

2022-6-20
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought a 66W plug in charger with one power delivery USB3 slot delivers 1 x 30W, and one standard USB A socket, really good fast charging of the battery pack and remote from Amazon.

Details.

INIU Car Charger, 66W 6A Car Charger Adapter, 2-Port (USB C+USB A) PD3.0 QC4.0+ fast charge USB Car Charger for iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max Samsung Galaxy S21 S20 Note Huawei Pixel iPad Laptops AirPods LG
Amazon's
Choice for "c car charger"
2022-6-20
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cheap for a flush mount with handle for easy extraction and does the job:

https://www.amazon.com/AINOPE-Ch ... G9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2022-6-20
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes using any USB-C plug to charge the Mini 3 will work but how fast just depends on how high of a voltage, I know Dji sells a car charger that has a USB-C on it and it’s a 65watt charger if that works.
2022-6-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 6-20 15:22
I bought a 66W plug in charger with one power delivery USB3 slot delivers 1 x 30W, and one standard USB A socket, really good fast charging of the battery pack and remote from Amazon.

Details.

Been using that INIU for the last year, its a pretty decent choice for the price  
2022-6-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Drone chappy. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 3 Pro and uses this process to charge there DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries and DJI Remote Controller can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. Thank you and have a nice day.
2022-6-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The slower you charge your batteries the better. Fast charging batteries is not good for them
2022-6-20
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-20 21:14
The slower you charge your batteries the better. Fast charging batteries is not good for them

DJI recommend their 30W mains charger, so a 30W charger plugged into the car 12V socket should not be a problem. The DJI intelligent charger controls how much power is delivered via the usb 3 as its a Pd type.

However, I agree as an example, fast charging a phone constantly will eventually "leave you speech less".
2022-6-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never understand all this urge to fast charge. If you have 3 batteries and plan ahead you should seldom have an issue
2022-6-20
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-20 23:35
Never understand all this urge to fast charge. If you have 3 batteries and plan ahead you should seldom have an issue

I agree, unusually yesterday I managed to use five batteries, recharged two in between travelling in my car charger, 30W as recommended by DJI.

Normally I am happy with just three, but new drone needed lots of flying on day 1.

I would rarely use fast charging on my phone or tablet, battery not so easy to change.
2022-6-21
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I managed to get a couple of DJI car chargers half price for use with my Mavic 3, so I use these in the car to charge my Mini 3, either directly to the aircraft, or now I finally have a Fly More Kit, to the charging hub.

I also have a 3rd party 65W one that I got for the Mavic 3 before I managed to find the cheap DJI ones.  It runs a lot hotter charging the Mavic 3 (at 60W, 12v@5A), but imagine would be fine at the 27W (9V@3A) that the Mini 3 seems to charge at.
2022-6-21
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-20 21:14

The main issue is heat.   As long as it doesn't get too hot while charging, you are perfectly fine.
It is the "ultra fast" charging that you have to avoid.

Using the 30w charger would take 64 min to charge the standard battery and that's perfectly acceptable and would do no harm to your battery.
2022-6-22
Use props
HamDesigner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33996 ft
United States

All LiPos are rated by the manufacturer for maximum acceptable recharge rate.  Typically, the lowest recharge rate would be 1C (1 times the Ah rating of the battery or cell).  For the Mini 3 standard battery, that would be 2.5 A.  or, with it's rated voltage, around 18 Wh.  That means that a 36 watt charger would recharge the battery in between 35-50 minutes, given the heating losses and balancing inefficiencies in the battery smarts.  For Ss & Gs, let's call it a recharge rate close to 2C.  I have never seen a LiPo cell rated at less than 1C recharge rate, and I would wager cash that the ones in the Mini 3 Pro's battery are rated much higher, as the recharge rate would be related to the discharge rate, which if a flight lasts about 30 minutes, would make it 2C at least.

Long story short:
If it takes at least as long or longer to charge than it does discharge, there is absolutely zero chance of harming the battery by charging it at this rate.  Given the tolerances on a modern LiPo cell, I wouldn't be surprised if a 5C charge rate would be totally harmless as well.  The only issue is, at some point in time, the smarts in the battery will only allow so much "gozinta" - and DJI has not specified how much that max gozinta is, from what I've read, and the standard battery doesn't seem to mind my 65W charger one bit.
2022-6-22
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

HamDesigner Posted at 6-22 11:40
All LiPos are rated by the manufacturer for maximum acceptable recharge rate.  Typically, the lowest recharge rate would be 1C (1 times the Ah rating of the battery or cell).  For the Mini 3 standard battery, that would be 2.5 A.  or, with it's rated voltage, around 18 Wh.  That means that a 36 watt charger would recharge the battery in between 35-50 minutes, given the heating losses and balancing inefficiencies in the battery smarts.  For Ss & Gs, let's call it a recharge rate close to 2C.  I have never seen a LiPo cell rated at less than 1C recharge rate, and I would wager cash that the ones in the Mini 3 Pro's battery are rated much higher, as the recharge rate would be related to the discharge rate, which if a flight lasts about 30 minutes, would make it 2C at least.

Long story short:

Well said! I've been fast charging devices for years and people "can still hear me now." M2P/Smart Controller, Mini, Mini 2, Air2, Air2S, M3C/RC Pro and now the Mini 3 Pro/DJI RC.

Back on topic: I'm currently using this 95w charger in the truck and it's been great!
2022-6-22
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

While I was waiting for the Fly More package, I only have 1 battery that came with the Mini 3. So I decided to get the portable power station so that I can charge the battery at the field. I also fly the rc helicopter so while I charged the Mini 3 battery, I rc flied my rc heli.

The small portable power station I bought utilizes the LiFe battery thus more useful cycle than the Lipo (2000 vs 300 or so) plus the Life is much safer.

The unit has:
1* 60W PD (Input/ output);
1* 110V/160W AC outlets modified sine wave (200W peak);
2* DC outputs (12V/10A);
1* QC 3.0 USB output (5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A);
1* USB output (5V/2.4A)

It also has a useful display. First I charge the mini 3 battery with the 60W PD and it showed only about 18-20W.
Next I used the Anker USB C 45W wall Charger plugged into the unit AC outlet and the display showed 28W, which is better than the PD one.
Then I tried the 60W USB C Wall Charger also plugged into the unit AC outlet and the display showed 28W which is the same as the 45W charger!
So before I came to any conclusion, I carried out another test which is charging the unit using the 2 wall chargers (one at a time of course) plugged into the wall and inserted the USB C cable into the PD (input/output) on the unit. Sure enough the wall chargers did the claimed wattage i.e. the display showed 40-43W and 50-56W respectively.
Now the only conclusion that makes sense to me is that "the Mini 3 intelligent battery has the over-charged protection circuit and will only let the charge no more than 28W or so.

At the field, I charge the Mini 3 pack with 45W wall charger plugged into the AC output of the power station. This normally takes around 35-45 minutes depending on how much the capacity leftbefore charging.
At home, I charge the unit using the 60W wall charger/PD on the unit.

Below are the links of the mentioned equipments.
45W charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T5QVTKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
60W charger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 6_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power station: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
BTW: Since sometime I had trouble connecting to the internet and the Mini 3 was overheated and shut off, I decided to get this fan and set it in front of the Mini 3. No overheat issue since.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

2022-6-23
Use props
djiuser_4bAZeBOXDEcR
lvl.1
United States

I'm still waiting on my flymore + pack (lost with UPS somewhere) so I've been charging the Mini 3 right off of this $19 45w charger in the car. Fully charges in under and hour iirc. Also fast charges my phone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WQQG7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2022-6-23
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
United States

Do you have to keep the ignition ON in your car while charging?

For me to fly I have to walk away from the car quite a bit so that’s no option for me.
Also my car is a hybrid that used small 12v battery just to start up the system. I think it is 40 amp only.

I also have that awesome  30W PD car charger  adapter which was on sale the other day for 14 bucks.https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Fly More should arrive today.
2022-6-23
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
United States

Yesterday I just noticed that if I charge the RC with higher watt charger,  the LED will flash faster! See my ciip below:

https://youtu.be/Ovw6GtfOnuI
2022-6-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have used a fast charger for my Mini 2 since for a year now and no harm has come to the batteries, i have also used fast charging for my phones and  not 1 issue, battery life is great and my Note 20 has super fast charging, i also leave my phone on charge 100% of the time whilst as home and not in use, again, not 1 issue.

You can fast or super fast charge all you like, it wont impact the battery substantially, batteries are designed to handle the power they take in, but that's only one factor a batteries lifespan varies on different facrtors. Another point to remember, there is no industry standard for fast charging, although phone manufacturers consider over 10w as fast charging...

Disclaimer; seen as Bigplumbs does not want me posting in this section, like I care, because i do not own the Mini 3 Pro, I am parting with my wisdom, knowledge and appreciation for the hobby.
2022-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules