Air 2S or Mini 3 Pro?
2818 34 2022-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone would be able to give me some guidance.

I'm looking to buy either an Air2S or a Mini 3 Pro (have discounted the Mavic 3 Pro on the basis of cost) over the next few weeks.

I'm on the fence between the two but what I'm ideally looking for is:

- Great obstacle avoidance for Mountain Bike and Forest rider tracking
- 10bit footage @ 4K/60fps
- Either 'proper' HDR or LOG - i.e. the ability to be able to capture a fuller/wider dynamic range
- Lightweight and portable

I know the Air2S does 10bit/HLG and 10bit/LOG, does the M3Pro?

Any steer to which one greatly appreciated.

Thanks
2022-6-21
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Looking forwards to answers on this one as I own a mini 3 Pro and have just bought an air 2 s :-)  it was a good price.
2022-6-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MrSimmo. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I will post a DJI link where in your can compare the specifications of both the DJI Air 2S to the DJI Mini 3 Pro and to other DJI consumer drones as well ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ). Thank you and please stay safe always.

2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As you are UK I would go for the Mini 3 Pro. I am fairly certain it will do what you need and because of the weight will be more useful to you. It is a close call however
2022-6-21
Use props
djiuser_gS9N23cjKPdn
lvl.2
Poland

At the moment, they need to improve a lot of things, including the Mini Pro 3, such as: 12 mp raw vignetting, 48mp raw purple artifacts, a slightly curved horizon line, as long as the image quality is ok when you watch it on the phone, enlarge the 4k material or photo to 100% and comparing with Air2s a much weaker image - as if a larger filter was used to reduce noise even with iso100, I don't know.

Overall, the drone is great. Most of these things can be done with a software update.
2022-6-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you want to unintentionally fly over people? if so then the MIni 3 Pro, if that doesn't interest you then the Air 2s, complete the A2 CofC (cheap and easy) then you can fly within 50m of people until the transitional period is over, currently the end of this year but it looks like it will be extended 2yrs or poss indefinitely. Once the transitional period is over then its downgraded to a legacy drone and no closer then 150m to built up areas etc... the mini 3 will not have any of those restrictions...
2022-6-21
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks all - appreciated the comments and advice.

Looks like the Mini3Pro is the one for me to get. I'll get ordering!

Thanks again
2022-6-21
Use props
Oldschool
lvl.3
Russia

)) не советую.
2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MrSimmo Posted at 6-21 04:12
Thanks all - appreciated the comments and advice.

Looks like the Mini3Pro is the one for me to get. I'll get ordering!

Order from Heli Guy their service is impeccable
2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-21 03:26
Do you want to unintentionally fly over people? if so then the MIni 3 Pro, if that doesn't interest you then the Air 2s, complete the A2 CofC (cheap and easy) then you can fly within 50m of people until the transitional period is over, currently the end of this year but it looks like it will be extended 2yrs or poss indefinitely. Once the transitional period is over then its downgraded to a legacy drone and no closer then 150m to built up areas etc... the mini 3 will not have any of those restrictions...

What transitional Period...... Do try and keep up
2022-6-21
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-21 07:42
Order from Heli Guy their service is impeccable

WIll check them out cheers
2022-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Late to the party, but as someone who owns both , the Air2s , Better Camera, Better flight experience, better photos . Much steadier when flying much stronger craft overall, same features .
Mini 3 quieter and thats really the only better thing on the Mini 3. It is also a great little craft but the Air2s is a slightly different league.
2022-6-21
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

And to keep in mind both do not have side obstical sensors.
2022-6-21
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-21 08:09
Late to the party, but as someone who owns both , the Air2s , Better Camera, Better flight experience, better photos . Much steadier when flying much stronger craft overall, same features .
Mini 3 quieter and thats really the only better thing on the Mini 3. It is also a great little craft but the Air2s is a slightly different league.

Thanks for this - Im struggling a little with the usual Youtuber overhyping everything in their reviews. On yours, are you able to shoot HLG or LOG on the Mini 3 Pro or is that limited to the Air2S?

Also, as the Air2S is slightly older, is it missing any of the flight features of the Mini3Pro?
2022-6-21
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 6-21 08:15
And to keep in mind both do not have side obstical sensors.

Cheers - good point. I'd love the Mavic3 but Im limited with funds unfortunately
2022-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MrSimmo Posted at 6-21 10:08
Thanks for this - Im struggling a little with the usual Youtuber overhyping everything in their reviews. On yours, are you able to shoot HLG or LOG on the Mini 3 Pro or is that limited to the Air2S?

Also, as the Air2S is slightly older, is it missing any of the flight features of the Mini3Pro?

You will need Air2s if you want to shoot log and excellent HLG. If its quality you’re looking for Air2s is the craft , the mini 3 is great but its pretty much more about fun and maybe travel, although the Air2s is an excellent travel drone.

The resale on Air2s is also excellent and Im sure the Mini 3 will also be, so you won’t lose a lot which ever one you decide if you’re not quite happy.
2022-6-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-21 07:42
What transitional Period...... Do try and keep up

Enlighten me, please?
2022-6-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not have have the Mini 3 Pro so can't really comment intelligently. Obviously there are local regulatory concerns but fortunately I have none of those here. I think the A2s is the third best drone in my arsenal....M2p, M3, A2s. The next closest thing was my Mini 2 which was a distant 4th. The A2s probably has much more power and much better maneuverability.
As for price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2038212 ... :g:Tk4AAOSwtyFg-x3O

2022-6-21
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks all
2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-21 18:42
Enlighten me, please?

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/doc ... 0Category%20UAS.pdf
2022-6-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-21 22:22
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Extending%20the%20provisions%20for%20Legacy%20and%20Transitional%20Category%20UAS.pdf

Did you read the last page?   Its just a recommendation,   so far nothing has actually changed,   it may or may not we don't know yet.  
2022-6-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-21 22:59
Did you read the last page?   Its just a recommendation,   so far nothing has actually changed,   it may or may not we don't know yet.

Of course I read it. It will be approved these things always are
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-21 22:22
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Extending%20the%20provisions%20for%20Legacy%20and%20Transitional%20Category%20UAS.pdf

As DAFlys says, it's only a recommendation and whilst indefinite is recommended, it will still be a transitional period
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-22 00:02
As DAFlys says, it's only a recommendation and whilst indefinite is recommended, it will still be a transitional period

Priceless. Look round the corner you might find the real world
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 00:48
Priceless. Look round the corner you might find the real world

Reality is that pdf you just linked us all to ha ha ha, what a classic village....
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-22 01:34
Reality is that pdf you just linked us all to ha ha ha, what a classic village....

And perhaps you will translate that post  for all of us in the English speaking world...... Ordered your Mini 3 yet
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 02:22
And perhaps you will translate that post  for all of us in the English speaking world...... Ordered your Mini 3 yet

OK, for the simpletons, the pdf says that it's o ly a recommendation and we are still in the transitional period.

No, and I will jot be buying one yet, not until I am happy givi g nearly a grand away, I do have the fly more kit on the way though, not that it's any of youe business and not that it will stop me posting in this section.
2022-6-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 00:00
Of course I read it. It will be approved these things always are

Well at the moment its a bigger mess than it was before,  until its approved or rejected.  
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would like to further add that its not just regarding the transitional period, the indefinite idea is so that they can look at the whole shebang, the open category for example will be up for consultation, actually, the whole C rating is going to be re-evaluated now that we are going it alone, we adopted the EASA rules as it was just simpler and then covid etc, now that things are calming down again in that respect, the CAA are looking into all of it. Theres a chance that the Mini class of drone could change for us in the UK, it could be that the weight is raised to 500g or more or worse lowered. There will be more consultations in the near future for sure.
2022-6-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love it when UK guys attack each other. Takes the heat off of me ;-)
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 6-22 20:21
I love it when UK guys attack each other. Takes the heat off of me ;-)

Well you are a yank so Deserve it
2022-6-22
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks again all - ended up going with the Air 2S (primarily for the camera). Loving it, what a drone!
2022-6-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MrSimmo Posted at 6-29 23:24
Thanks again all - ended up going with the Air 2S (primarily for the camera). Loving it, what a drone!

Good luck, I think you made a good choice, happy flying.
2022-6-30
Use props
MrSimmo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cheers :-)
2022-6-30
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom