2135 48 2022-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is so much being discussed about the Range of the Mini 3 Pro  I gathered some spotters and placed then at points on the route and did a very simple range flight untill the last spotter could not see the drone. This was at a distance where I did not want to go any further anyway so turned around. I am sure it would have gone a lot further

Although the signal indicator showed various colour and bars. I did not get a single loss of video feed or any warnings.

There are obvious issues with some peoples drones but also some that seem to be OK. I think I am one of the lucky ones

2022-6-22
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

(From the duplicate thread)...

Good test, but that is rural, so I'd expect it to retain 5 bars at that distance in order to be comparable to the Mini 2.  Try a similar thing in an urban area and see what your results are, because to me, your video shows your Mini 3 to be underperforming compared to the Mini 2  (and it was Mini 2 signal performance I was expecting from my Mini 3, hence the disappointment that its simply not good enough at times).

Also, you are near maximum altitude, so I'd say you are on a par with my Mini 3 signal performance, considering distance, height, and the fact its rural.
2022-6-22
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I get the same sort of results, the range seems fine but the signal is spotty
2022-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good test, but the rules being the rules don’t allow you have spotters unless you are in direct contact with them, you cannot use mobile phones or walkie talkie communication must be verbal. I’m not criticizing what you done I’ve done it myself numerous times. Just giving you a heads up on the rules.
2022-6-22
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-22 06:11
Good test, but the rules being the rules don’t allow you have spotters unless you are in direct contact with them, you cannot use mobile phones or walkie talkie communication must be verbal. I’m not criticizing what you done I’ve done it myself numerous times. Just giving you a heads up on the rules.

Likely used hand signals
2022-6-22
Use props
De Fender
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141 ft
Germany

thank you for confirming the issue
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RalUK Posted at 6-22 06:13
Likely used hand signals

Yup and shouted very loudly. Direct contact at all times of course
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheBoy Posted at 6-22 06:04
(From the duplicate thread)...

Good test, but that is rural, so I'd expect it to retain 5 bars at that distance in order to be comparable to the Mini 2.  Try a similar thing in an urban area and see what your results are, because to me, your video shows your Mini 3 to be underperforming compared to the Mini 2  (and it was Mini 2 signal performance I was expecting from my Mini 3, hence the disappointment that its simply not good enough at times).

I am sure it would have gone further. I don't feel that it is underperforming and it is very unlikely that I will ever fly any of my drones in an Urban area as I don't think doing so is right but that is just my view.

When using my drone I would never be as far as I was in that test and it is that that I am interested in to be honest. Perhaps my Mini 2 or Air 1 or indeed Air 2 would fly further but it is perfectly good enough for me
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RalUK Posted at 6-22 06:07
I get the same sort of results, the range seems fine but the signal is spotty

I think the signal indicator is spotty or iffy but I am not sure this is actually representing the real signal as I did not get any break up or warnings or indeed any lack of control. I am wondering if there is something up with the indicator not the signal
2022-6-22
Use props
TheBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28958264 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 06:20
I am sure it would have gone further. I don't feel that it is underperforming and it is very unlikely that I will ever fly any of my drones in an Urban area as I don't think doing so is right but that is just my view.

When using my drone I would never be as far as I was in that test and it is that that I am interested in to be honest. Perhaps my Mini 2 or Air 1 or indeed Air 2 would fly further but it is perfectly good enough for me

Thanks for the explanation .  I think yours is performing similar to mine in those sorts of conditions (high, rural, 1km) with just a very signal glitches that at worse cause a video stutter.

Owning bigger, more capable drones for rural use, my Mini 3 was primarily purchased for urban use where usage of the larger drones carry restriction or near bans.  And its in urban areas where I, and others, are having significant issues that we simply never had with the older Mini 2, at much closer distances.  These manifest as frozen video feed for several seconds, or no video feed at all (but still telemtery) until it does a NoVideo RTH, or even complete disconnections (and it then doing a NoSignal RTH).  All of this makes it challenging to take photos beyond about 250m, and video footage just gets destroyed by the sudden turn around and then the wobble of it retracing its steps for a few seconds, before climbing and coming home.
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In teresting test.
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually, the law is that the spotter HAS to be stood next to you, and you most certainly cannot have them "daisy chained", so no matter how much shouting you did, its against the law

The law states:
“The remote pilot may be assisted by a UA observer helping them to keep the unmanned aircraft away from other aircraft and obstacles.
The UA observer must be situated alongside the remote pilot and observers must not use aided vision (e.g. binoculars).

Aside from that, i am happy for you that you are happy with that distance, I for one most certainly wouldnt be and lets be honest here, i don't use a "spotter" i just send it once, maybe twice and that's it, no need to do it again.

I sent the Mini 2 in CE to 3.49km (no proof of that flight, must have deleted it), I then sent it in FCC to 5.5km at a height of 17m for the most part then ascended to 27m towards the mid point, I turned with still a full signal as seen in the image below, it was the battery being at 65% i thought it best to head back, i landed with about 11 or 12%, all under thick fog i might add. I would expect the new model to at least match that in both modes, if not then i would be sorely disappointed for that money!

2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-22 07:52
Actually, the law is that the spotter HAS to be stood next to you, and you most certainly cannot have them "daisy chained", so no matter how much shouting you did, its against the law

The law states:“The remote pilot may be assisted by a UA observer helping them to keep the unmanned aircraft away from other aircraft and obstacles.The UA observer must be situated alongside the remote pilot and observers must not use aided vision (e.g. binoculars).

And as if by magic Mr Know it all turns up spouting the Law and getting it all wrong again. Deffo in the Neighbourhood watch. I bet people just love you in your street.
A little bit of advice that I am sure you will ignor......... Perhaps you should ask yourself if you are commiting too much of your time to this forum particularly as you dont have a Mini 3 Pro. It is of course entirely up to you but maybe somthing to think about
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So in the short time you have had your mini 3 Pro are you pleased you bought it which to be honest is the most important thing
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 08:04
So in the short time you have had your mini 3 Pro are you pleased you bought it which to be honest is the most important thing

Yes. A couple of strange things occured. A vibration of the gimbal before take-off ( only once, not repeated).  And landing after coming down through the fog this morning, the sensors must have been fogged up and couldn't detect the ground so it bounced and re-settled after a few seconds.
Just about to go out and do a third flight and check performance.  Not unduly worried by those two incidents.
2022-6-22
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

Antenna alignment/polarization doesn't seem to be right in the mini 3. I wonder if the signal would improve if you turn the transmitter to either side by 90 degrees on the roll axis.
The mini2 antennas in the front arms are in a great location and propelry polarized in most flight attitudes.
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-22 08:12
Yes. A couple of strange things occured. A vibration of the gimbal before take-off ( only once, not repeated).  And landing after coming down through the fog this morning, the sensors must have been fogged up and couldn't detect the ground so it bounced and re-settled after a few seconds.
Just about to go out and do a third flight and check performance.  Not unduly worried by those two incidents.

I think that in fog and mist a lot of it will be blown into the drone which is not good
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 08:19
I think that in fog and mist a lot of it will be blown into the drone which is not good

I'll see hiow this evening's flight goes.
Later......
2022-6-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-22 08:12
Yes. A couple of strange things occured. A vibration of the gimbal before take-off ( only once, not repeated).  And landing after coming down through the fog this morning, the sensors must have been fogged up and couldn't detect the ground so it bounced and re-settled after a few seconds.

speaking of rules, what do the rules say with regards to flying in the fog?
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 6-22 08:31

I am sure the knower of all rules and laws will be along soon to enlighten us all
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 07:57
And as if by magic Mr Know it all turns up spouting the Law and getting it all wrong again. Deffo in the Neighbourhood watch. I bet people just love you in your street.
A little bit of advice that I am sure you will ignor......... Perhaps you should ask yourself if you are commiting too much of your time to this forum particularly as you dont have a Mini 3 Pro. It is of course entirely up to you but maybe somthing to think about

Again, you are incorrect on all counts, the law is as stated word for word as can be seen here on the CAA site, https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/remotely-piloted-aircraft/drones-flying-in-the-open-category/#:~:text=The%20remote%20pilot%20must%20always,from%20other%20aircraft%20and%20obstacles. scroll to First peraon view, I copied it from there so, call it how you like.

As for neighbourhood watch, l won't dignify that with a response.

As for this forum, I will continue to use it regardless of your wishes, I do not need to own a mini 3 Pro to be able to use it, didn't see you tell labroides not to use it too, actually, I am the only one obe you've actually said that I shouldn't be using this, get a grip man and get over yourself.

Just because I do not have said drone, does not mean I do not know what I am talkjing about. I feel I have enough experience and some knowledge to be able to contribute.
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You mean to say, you don't know?  
Dear me!
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 08:19

It was very patchy, with good visibilty in some directions and much less in others.  I was able to get above it by waiting for a clear patch and aiming for the rising sun, hoping to get an "above the clouds" effect.  It was a bit disappointing, to be honest. There was no wind but the mist was drifting around a bit. I think it was condensation that may have confused the sensors - and yet the drone was quite dry when I picked it up.  No harm done, I think.
2022-6-22
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-22 07:52

The law states:“The remote pilot may be assisted by a UA observer helping them to keep the unmanned aircraft away from other aircraft and obstacles.The UA observer must be situated alongside the remote pilot and observers must not use aided vision (e.g. binoculars).

I may, or may not, have exceeded your Mini 2 CE test and I may, or may not, have a recording of it.

PM me if interested
2022-6-22
Use props
FlipperDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

Mine arrived yesterday and after a couple of test flights I did a range check. 3,452m before signal loss at 110m height. That's below performance of my 5yr old Mavic Pro but much better than I was expecting after reading various posts on here. My location is very rural - all fields overflown, couple of low power cables but that's it. Less inclined to attempt range test in an urban environment tbh.

This is my 4th DJI drone and its incredible to see the progression from my original phantom and then 5yrs from the Mavic Pro. The lightness is the most shocking to me - feels quite 'cheap' but I think we're now conditioned that 'heft' equals quality (soft thud of a premium car door closing vs tinny light-weight one for example).

Not tried the fancy shooting options as yet.....so rural there are no real stand out 'points of interest' to centre it on !
2022-6-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

RalUK Posted at 6-22 06:13
Likely used hand signals

2022-6-22
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Italy

Not seen any range issues with mine in rural or semi rural using the RC-N1 although i havent tried going too far

(And spotters in the UK have to be stood next to the operator, no shouting, signals or radios allowed....)

A lot of issues seem to be how sensitive it is to the direction of the RC.  A few degrees makes all the difference.
2022-6-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-22 09:05
You mean to say, you don't know?  
Dear me!

sorry i wasn't quite clear on the rules in your country regarding flying in the "fog."
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlipperDrone Posted at 6-22 09:54
Mine arrived yesterday and after a couple of test flights I did a range check. 3,452m before signal loss at 110m height. That's below performance of my 5yr old Mavic Pro but much better than I was expecting after reading various posts on here. My location is very rural - all fields overflown, couple of low power cables but that's it. Less inclined to attempt range test in an urban environment tbh.

This is my 4th DJI drone and its incredible to see the progression from my original phantom and then 5yrs from the Mavic Pro. The lightness is the most shocking to me - feels quite 'cheap' but I think we're now conditioned that 'heft' equals quality (soft thud of a premium car door closing vs tinny light-weight one for example).

Yes it certainly is a very good drone. Good to hear from another person who has actually bought one and experienced it first hand
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-22 08:50
Again, you are incorrect on all counts, the law is as stated word for word as can be seen here on the CAA site, https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/remotely-piloted-aircraft/drones-flying-in-the-open-category/#:~:text=The%20remote%20pilot%20must%20always,from%20other%20aircraft%20and%20obstacles. scroll to First peraon view, I copied it from there so, call it how you like.

As for neighbourhood watch, l won't dignify that with a response.

2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VLOS applies of course, this is another time when Article 241 comes in, (A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.) and #15 of the Drone and Model Aircraft Code mentions fog...

...15. Do not fly if the weather could affect your flight
Some of the things to look out for:

strong winds could blow your drone or model aircraft off course or make it difficult to fly safely
wind on the ground is often very different to the wind at height
rain or other water, snow and cold weather could stop parts of your drone or model aircraft from working
fog could mean you lose sight of your drone or model aircraft
glare from the sun could mean you lose sight of your drone or model aircraft
cold or wet weather could affect your ability to control your drone or model aircraft safely
standing out in the sun could affect your ability to concentrate

NB: There is something of note for fog, it normally occurs below 12C with very high humidity and low wind speed <4mph (i said normally, its not written in stone). You lose 1C for every 100m you climb, anything from 4C down to -10C you run the risk of ice build up on the props. < -10C the humidity is too low for ice build-up.
I will fly in fog for sure, perhaps not with the Mini 3 though, certainly not through fog where i cannot see the other side due to the air intakes, i would prob fly under the fog though and perhaps broken fog to get above it, cant beat those Kodak moments

Disclaimer; seen as Bigplumbs does not want me posting in this section (like I care) because i do not own the Mini 3 Pro, I am parting with my wisdom, knowledge and appreciation for the hobby.

2022-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bigplumbs. Good day and thank you for sharing these information and this video that you have filmed about your new DJI Mini 3 Pro. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2022-6-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great test.
2022-6-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sure. As we all know Chuck Yeager ignored the speed limits posted in California when he broke the sound barrier in the X1.
Sometimes rules deserved to be broken, like slavery in the 1860's.
2022-6-22
Use props
GLOBAL HAWK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287841 ft
Australia

spotters ;)
2022-6-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I did not spot them
2022-6-24
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They were there somewhere I am sure
2022-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-24 08:24
They were there somewhere I am sure

Yeah, it was a (bad) joke
2022-6-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I could not see them either and I thoroughly looked.

But seeing the reply at #40 leads me to believe they weren't any and was said there were initially so that folks didn't turn in to the drone police just like Mr Hypocrisy here did to others, not that it would have mattered anyway, we've all done it, well, most anyway...
2022-6-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs, could you perhaps point me to where the CAA says that the use of remote spotters is in compliance with UK law?

The only thing I have so far found on the CAA site is that spotters must be beside the pilot and be able to see the drone without the aid of visual aids such as binoculars........much as others have suggested.
2022-6-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules