Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using the Lens in Portrait format
776 36 2022-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Using the Portrait lens. 5 shot HDR and a 3x 5 shot HDR Pano of our hometown this evening. How the color in the sky changed . Its still bright here at 11 PM "Long Days"

885F350F-2E6A-4D78-8901-72A5628F8F27.jpeg 5BCAD691-2257-4906-979F-01FFB86609E8.jpeg
2022-6-22
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Fantastic stuff! Will be using the Mini 3 Pro a lot like this, gives you much better image quality than a single shot as long as you can move in enough with the portrait lens to get to the desired vertical framing.

Is this manual HDR (External) or does the Mini 3 pro have HDR capability with stills? Manual kind of says HDR only available for pure Auto images?

2022-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The drone has only one lens and there's no portrait lens.
You rotated the camera to shoot in portrait format.
2022-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 6-22 14:41
The drone has only one lens and there's no portrait lens.

Yes your correct, looks like your getting up for an hour everyday
2022-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 6-22 14:36
Fantastic stuff! Will be using the Mini 3 Pro a lot like this, gives you much better image quality than a single shot as long as you can move in enough with the portrait lens to get to the desired vertical framing.

Is this manual HDR (External) or does the Mini 3 pro have HDR capability with stills? Manual kind of says HDR only available for pure Auto images?

Its just AEB converted to HDR in post. The AEB works as it should. Those black lines seem to be gone in PS so hoping DJI fixed their DNG file.
2022-6-22
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

The drone has only one lens and there's no portrait lens.

Wow amazing it can do that, who would have thought?
2022-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Is this manual HDR (External) or does the Mini 3 pro have HDR capability with stills? Manual kind of says HDR only available for pure Auto images?

Obviously if you lock down the ISO and Shutter Speed and the aperture is fixed, there's nothing for the camera to adjust to bracket the exposure values.
2022-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bussty Posted at 6-22 14:49
Wow amazing it can do that, who would have thought?

Obviously not people who think the drone has a portrait lens.
2022-6-22
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 6-22 14:49
Its just AEB converted to HDR in post. The AEB works as it should. Those black lines seem to be gone in PS so hoping DJI fixed their DNG file.

Nice, so is AEB like on my Olympus OMD? Using that on Manual you can work out with the over exposure warning the least manual exposure to capture highlights then to take the 5 shot sequence (0.7 stops gap) I open up 1.4 stops (or as close as I can) then run the AEB on those settings. That makes sure my fastest exposure just captures the brightest tone and I capture the maximum shadow detail?
2022-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 6-22 14:59
Nice, so is AEB like on my Olympus OMD? Using that on Manual you can work out with the over exposure warning the least manual exposure to capture highlights then to take the 5 shot sequence (0.7 stops gap) I open up 1.4 stops (or as close as I can) then run the AEB on those settings. That makes sure my fastest exposure just captures the brightest tone and I capture the maximum shadow detail?

Yes thats the principal of AEB.
2022-6-22
Use props
Skyhigh16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is this manual HDR (External) or does the Mini 3 pro have HDR capability with stills? Manual kind of says HDR only available for pure Auto images?

Are you actually going to get the drone or  are you going to keep talking hypotheticals?
2022-6-22
Use props
Skyhigh16
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The drone has only one lens and there's no portrait lens.

I think we all know what he meant grumps.
2022-6-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really cool portrait shots hallmark!
2022-6-22
Use props
Skyhigh16
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Looking good hallmark!!
2022-6-22
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Skyhigh16 Posted at 6-22 15:21
Are you actually going to get the drone or  are you going to keep talking hypotheticals?

Well funny you should say but there is a text message saying delivery today so sounds like it might be real.
2022-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there hallmark007. Good day and thank you for posting these beautiful aerial photos that you have captured. Great shot and keep flying. .
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great images. I've yet to try out portrait mode - only had the drone for two days yet, and one battery for now.
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-22 14:57
Obviously not people who think the drone has a portrait lens.

I knew what he meant and so did you. And if you want to be that pedantic when it is shooting in portrait mode it is indeed a portrait lens so pick the bones out of that
2022-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-22 22:16
I knew what he meant and so did you. And if you want to be that pedantic when it is shooting in portrait mode it is indeed a portrait lens so pick the bones out of that

It's not a portrait lens and it's not being pedantic to point out photographic terms being flagrantly misused.
Correct terminology matters.

He mentioned using the portrait lens like there was a choice of lenses to pick from.
Everyone should know that there's only one lens on that drone, so why mention the portrait lens?
It was extremely sloppy wording from someone that makes out that he's an accomplished photographer, and then echoed by another.

Real photographers know that a portrait lens is a short telephoto, not the very wideangle lens that the drone has.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-23 00:07
It's not a portrait lens and it's not being pedantic to point out photographic terms being flagrantly misused.

Just because you interpret his comment incorrectly does not make him wrong.

And pointing out photography terms is most deffo being pedantic and also nurdish to boot oh and also trying to be a clever dick.

It is certainly a Portrait lens to me when in portrait configuration
2022-6-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What is a real Photographer. Is it one of those twits with a huge grey lens on their camera taking loads of shots most out of focus cos they take it off Auto and dont know what they are doing.
2022-6-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-23 00:16
Just because you interpret his comment incorrectly does not make him wrong.

And pointing out photography terms is most deffo being pedantic and also nurdish to boot oh and also trying to be a clever dick.

And with those words, you showed that you are someone eminently worth ignoring.

2022-6-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 6-23 00:17
What is a real Photographer. Is it one of those twits with a huge grey lens on their camera taking loads of shots most out of focus cos they take it off Auto and dont know what they are doing.

And doubly so with that meaningless diatribe.
All I can make out from it is that you are signalling that you are a complete idiot.

2022-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

"Real photographers know that a portrait lens is a short “telephoto” not the very wideangle lens that the drone has".

Most portrait lenses are actually Prime Lenses and usually lenses with the ability to shoot very low Aperture’s. The lens on the Mini is a Prime lens that shoots very low fast aperture, in fact at the other end of the scale it’s actually long telephoto lenses, 70/135mm with low DOF always are a good option if it can shoot in low light that are also used for portrait rather than short zooms

I have never claimed to be an accomplished photographer but have only ever said I do it as a hobbyist. Your right a sloppy use of the wording.
There is no such thing as a portrait lens, only lenses that are more suitable to shooting portraits. But most camera’s shoot in portrait format. Drone cameras are known for only shooting in Landscape mode so the mini 3 is very much a novelty that it can now shoot in portrait mode . Should have said portrait mode and not portrait lens.
2022-6-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Portrait mode provided a spectacular shot hallmark.    
2022-6-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 6-23 02:18
"Real photographers know that a portrait lens is a short “telephoto” not the very wideangle lens that the drone has".

Most portrait lenses are actually Prime Lenses and usually lenses with the ability to shoot very low Aperture’s. The lens on the Mini is a Prime lens that shoots very low fast aperture, in fact at the other end of the scale it’s actually long telephoto lenses, 70/135mm with low DOF always are a good option if it can shoot in low light that are also used for portrait rather than short zooms

Should have said portrait mode and not portrait lens.
That's right and I can't see why pointing that out caused such outcry from the peanut gallery here.

I'll just take you up on two things you just said:
in fact at the other end of the scale it’s actually long telephoto lenses, 70/135mm
70-135mm are short tele lenses - long teles would be >300mm.

There is no such thing as a portrait lens

Google doesn't agree on that.
It's true that you can shoot a portrait with any lens, but there is a class of lenses that has always been referred to as a portrait lens.
Just google portrait lens to see how many references there are.

That said, I've wasted more time than I care to trying to talk sense to an audience with no idea about photography, but still feels qualified to berate someone who does.

2022-6-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-23 01:46
And with those words, you showed that you are someone eminently worth ignoring.

Please do.
2022-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 6-23 03:55
That's right and I can't see why pointing that out caused such outcry from the peanut gallery here.

“It's true that you can shoot a portrait with any lens, but there is a class of lenses that has always been referred to as a portrait lens.
Just google portrait lens to see how many references there are.”

And its most likely that the preferred choice would be Prime Lens. 70/135 I would see as medium zoom lens, but lots of photographers use 18/120mm and 70/200 which are also long/medium zooms for portrait and in portrait mode. Not only portraits or shallow depth of field photos are shot in portrait mode. My point was simply that its a novelty to be using portrait mode with any drone and some options it can be used for.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-23 03:55

Peanut Gallery You are so funny you should be on the Telly with that sort of material           
2022-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-23 03:03
Portrait mode provided a spectacular shot hallmark.

Cheers thank you
2022-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Skyhigh16 Posted at 6-22 15:23
Looking good hallmark!!

Cheers
2022-6-23
Use props
rocazac
lvl.2
Norway

Hi, what are you using for editing? i am quite of a noob in photography
2022-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rocazac Posted at 6-23 06:17
Hi, what are you using for editing? i am quite of a noob in photography

I use Lightroom and Photo shop Camera raw. But they’re are many out there both free and paid.
2022-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice.
One of the most missed features from MP is back
2022-6-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome hallmark.  

Hope you have a great day and a wonderful weekend.  
2022-6-24
Use props
Skyhigh16
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 6-22 15:39
Well funny you should say but there is a text message saying delivery today so sounds like it might be real.

Congrats on the new drone !  How do you like it ?
2022-6-24
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
New Zealand

Thank you!

So far really loving it. Coming from a Mini 1 focusing is a whole new thing so having to get used to that especially for panos where the camera won't be able to focus on blank skies very well on automatic so finding the fastest way to lock that down for the manual shots of the sky I'm hoping it locks focus on the first shot then sticks at that for the main pano. Would also be amazing if firmware update is made to do an automatic complete 360 x 180 pano but can be gotten around manually. Takes time though and would stitch better if one seamless rapid series of exposures. The Mini 3 Pro is super fast in taking the Panos which is awesome.

I only have one battery with a FMC and additional 3 pro batteries and charger on the way, I'll be able to be out there for hours and hours when they arrive :-)

Haven't really had a good run to test yet but that is today's plan but so far no issues as some have experienced though haven't tested range yet but have friends who have gone over 7km on CE so I'm hoping it will be fine.

The DJI RC is impressive and really bright enough and is so much faster and hassle free connecting compared to my old Mini 1 and Samsung S9.

I live within 5km of an Airport so just got a year long clearance through Flysafe so is just a breeze launching up from home.

Is also first drone I have had with obstacle avoidance so that is just a whole new thing but given I have been conditioned with the Mini 1 is probably not so important for me as naturally weary, will be handy if I get into tracking which I might do on some hikes/bike rides.

Are you in the market for one?  

Cheers
2022-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules