5330 45 2022-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Due to the mini 3 having the capability to use a heavier longer flight time battery putting it over 250g they have classified the mini 3 as over the 250g category here when you register it. Apparently it is nothing new in terms of the way they register aircraft here, they register aircraft based on their max weight so in mini 3 terms it is with the battery plus option. Is this the case elsewhere in the world? Kind of defeats the purpose of the under 250g...
2022-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there itsdavesdrone. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots can give out the best information with regards to this matter. Just a reminder that the standard weight of the DJI Mini 3 Pro ( including the DJI Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery, propellers, and a microSD card ). Actual product weight may vary due to differences in batch materials and external factors. Registration is not required in some countries and regions. Check local rules and regulations before use. In addition, with the DJI Mini 3 Pro Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, the DJI Drone will weigh more than 249 g ( about 290 g ). Please check and strictly abide by local laws and regulations before flying. Thank you.
2022-6-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the U.K. at the moment and possibly now for good the weight is that specified by the manufacturer of the drone. You are suffering from the  max take of mass rule
2022-6-22
Use props
forbsie
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Disappointing news! Sort of defeats the point of having such a light drone. I'm interested in the Mini 3, but I've been hanging back, this info may sway me against buying one as I already have a perfectly functional Air 2 in the same weight class
2022-6-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lets hope other countries don't follow the trend.  
2022-6-22
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is a shame they decided to go the route of MTOM as opposed to MTOW, in my eyes it was unnecessary, if we decided to add the plus battery then it should be flown in the sub 500g category. Hopefully the CAA will see sense and change this, only time will tell, downside now is, we are in limbo now as we do not know whats going to happen seen as they are going to be consulting on the whole shabang, heck, they could change the whole 250g malarky for the worse...
2022-6-22
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-22 22:45
Lets hope other countries don't follow the trend.

It would be unlikely here, I hope. Especially as the heavier batteries are not available here.
2022-6-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-22 23:03
It is a shame they decided to go the route of MTOM as opposed to MTOW, in my eyes it was unnecessary, if we decided to add the plus battery then it should be flown in the sub 500g category. Hopefully the CAA will see sense and change this, only time will tell, downside now is, we are in limbo now as we do not know whats going to happen seen as they are going to be consulting on the whole shabang, heck, they could change the whole 250g malarky for the worse...

How long until they revise the category down to sub-200gm, for example, do you think?
We've been gradually squeezed down and down in weight categories over the years.
A gradual move to hound us out of the skies do you think?
Just putting another conspiracy theory out there
2022-6-23
Use props
iamsachin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111106 ft
India

I had a similar experience in India. The max altitude was 120 m (<250gm). I can confirm this from 2 weeks ago.
Yesterday, after the last geo update on the drone, I can fly up to 500 m now. I have the plus batteries.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-23 06:48
How long until they revise the category down to sub-200gm, for example, do you think?
We've been gradually squeezed down and down in weight categories over the years.
A gradual move to hound us out of the skies do you think?

You may laugh now, but there is nothing stopping them from doing so.
Out of interest, which came 1st, the Dji Mini or the sub 250g law?
Remember, these are the EU rules, the UK is looking at whether or not change is needed.

Have a look at last nights interview...

Its not what the guy says will or wont happen, its what he doesn't say...

2022-6-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-23 07:38
Remember, these are the EU rules, the UK is looking at whether or not change is needed.

Yes the rumour mills keep turning.  We won't be left in peace to pursue our harmless hobby.
2022-6-23
Use props
davidy61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 57037 ft
Australia

PM sent, thanks
2022-6-23
Use props
FlashNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391709 ft
United States

Are you flying for fun? I thought drone registration isn't required for another year?:

https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/registration

If this is for business, does the weight matter? All drones for work need to be registered. If the drone is below 500g the registration is free:

https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/r ... register-your-drone
2022-6-23
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 6-23 07:38

The mini came after the 250g rule. The sub-250g weight category was created in 2015, when the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) asked a committee of aviation and drone experts to quickly determine the minimum weight of a drone that recreational drone pilots should be required to register. With personal safety the main goal, the committee employed complex formulas involving kinetic energy and terminal velocity to recommend a weight category of 250 grams and above, which the FAA then adopted.

While the 250g limit was intended only as a threshold for registration, it was quickly adopted by other countries as the threshold for many drone regulatory expectations. Any weight below this limit was considered so light that it was unlikely to cause safety problems, and thus there was little reason to impose stronger regulations. DJI later took a more comprehensive look at the science behind the calculations and concluded that the 250g limit was very conservative. In a white paper released in 2017, DJI said drones up to 2.2 kilograms should be considered lowest-risk. However, the 250g limit has become the global regulatory standard for drones that pose a negligible safety risk.
2022-6-23
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

FlashNY Posted at 6-23 12:41
Are you flying for fun? I thought drone registration isn't required for another year?:

https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/registration

Registration isn't compulsory yet for recreational flying here yet but it is coming. The sub-250g category means you can fly in areas 250g and above cannot.
2022-6-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

itsdavesdrone Posted at 6-23 14:25
The mini came after the 250g rule. The sub-250g weight category was created in 2015, when the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) asked a committee of aviation and drone experts to quickly determine the minimum weight of a drone that recreational drone pilots should be required to register. With personal safety the main goal, the committee employed complex formulas involving kinetic energy and terminal velocity to recommend a weight category of 250 grams and above, which the FAA then adopted.

While the 250g limit was intended only as a threshold for registration, it was quickly adopted by other countries as the threshold for many drone regulatory expectations. Any weight below this limit was considered so light that it was unlikely to cause safety problems, and thus there was little reason to impose stronger regulations. DJI later took a more comprehensive look at the science behind the calculations and concluded that the 250g limit was very conservative. In a white paper released in 2017, DJI said drones up to 2.2 kilograms should be considered lowest-risk. However, the 250g limit has become the global regulatory standard for drones that pose a negligible safety risk.

yet there are many here who believe that a 275g drone is not a toy and is so capable of hurting or killing someone (or inflicting major damage) that it should be highly regulated and the pilot prosecuted if necessary....until the law is changed and the limit is raise to 300g....then it's ok.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 6-23 14:25

While the 250g limit was intended only as a threshold for registration, it was quickly adopted by other countries as the threshold for many drone regulatory expectations. Any weight below this limit was considered so light that it was unlikely to cause safety problems, and thus there was little reason to impose stronger regulations. DJI later took a more comprehensive look at the science behind the calculations and concluded that the 250g limit was very conservative. In a white paper released in 2017, DJI said drones up to 2.2 kilograms should be considered lowest-risk. However, the 250g limit has become the global regulatory standard for drones that pose a negligible safety risk.

Thank you, so with that in mind, it could always be lowered or have more regulations for the sub 250g then.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 6-23 14:50
yet there are many here who believe that a 275g drone is not a toy and is so capable of hurting or killing someone (or inflicting major damage) that it should be highly regulated and the pilot prosecuted if necessary....until the law is changed and the limit is raise to 300g....then it's ok.

Could you honestly say that if a mini drone fell from 120m and hit a baby in the face or head that serious injury wouldn't occur, or worse? I am not talking about how likely this will happen mind...
2022-6-23
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Bashy Posted at 6-23 18:51
Thank you, so with that in mind, it could always be lowered or have more regulations for the sub 250g then.

It's an interesting topic. The thing with drones is they make all these very strict rules and regulations when you rarely ever hear of them injuring anyone. They add more and more laws here in Australia to them and our government spends millions of dollars setting up more and more air safety rules, regulations, staff and registrations... and for what? To prevent people flying above their house or at a park? It's just crazy. Bikes on roads are far more dangerous than a drone flying in open air space. They don't have to register bikes... You should google the whole 250g thing though, it makes for an interesting read. How countries all around the world basically adopted this very conservative weight as being the safe one without any of their own testing.
2022-6-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 6-23 18:54
Could you honestly say that if a mini drone fell from 120m and hit a baby in the face or head that serious injury wouldn't occur, or worse? I am not talking about how likely this will happen mind...

lol lol absolutely i believe a 747 can fall out of the sky and hurt a baby, so what?
2022-6-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

itsdavesdrone Posted at 6-23 19:19
It's an interesting topic. The thing with drones is they make all these very strict rules and regulations when you rarely ever hear of them injuring anyone. They add more and more laws here in Australia to them and our government spends millions of dollars setting up more and more air safety rules, regulations, staff and registrations... and for what? To prevent people flying above their house or at a park? It's just crazy. Bikes on roads are far more dangerous than a drone flying in open air space. They don't have to register bikes... You should google the whole 250g thing though, it makes for an interesting read. How countries all around the world basically adopted this very conservative weight as being the safe one without any of their own testing.

100% agree mate
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

itsdavesdrone Posted at 6-23 19:19
It's an interesting topic. The thing with drones is they make all these very strict rules and regulations when you rarely ever hear of them injuring anyone. They add more and more laws here in Australia to them and our government spends millions of dollars setting up more and more air safety rules, regulations, staff and registrations... and for what? To prevent people flying above their house or at a park? It's just crazy. Bikes on roads are far more dangerous than a drone flying in open air space. They don't have to register bikes... You should google the whole 250g thing though, it makes for an interesting read. How countries all around the world basically adopted this very conservative weight as being the safe one without any of their own testing.

Whilst this is true, there have been a good few drone-related injuries.

The whole idea of the regulations is to mitigate risk and, like you said, injury is rarely heard of, so with that in mind,  wouldnt you say that the regs are working?

Dont get me wrong, i would love to be allowed to fly x amount of distance or up in the clouds or fly my P4P where i can my Mini 2.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 6-23 19:23
lol lol absolutely i believe a 747 can fall out of the sky and hurt a baby, so what?

This is a drone forum, lets keep it on topic, no need to go to silly extremes after all, we know what aircraft can do hence why they are very highly regulated, you was talking about a 270g drone...
2022-6-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 6-23 19:39
Whilst this is true, there have been a good few drone-related injuries.

The whole idea of the regulations is to mitigate risk and, like you said, injury is rarely heard of, so with that in mind,  wouldnt you say that the regs are working?

the regs are not based on safety.  not even close.
2022-6-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 6-23 19:43
This is a drone forum, lets keep it on topic, no need to go to silly extremes after all, we know what aircraft can do hence why they are very highly regulated, you was talking about a 270g drone...

i had to laugh because you were the one to take it there... it's for the kids.

a guy once told me no drones should be allowed to fly over a school.  he said "what if the drone falls out of the sky and puts out a kid's eye."  well, that's not funny but it is ridiculous.

more kids are run over by parent's cars in the parking lot than drones, why not let's start with banning cars within 1000 feet of a school....for the children's safety.  lol

my point, if you're not worried about a 747 falling atop a kid then don't be worried about a drone.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 6-23 19:54
i had to laugh because you were the one to take it there... it's for the kids.

a guy once told me no drones should be allowed to fly over a school.  he said "what if the drone falls out of the sky and puts out a kid's eye."  well, that's not funny but it is ridiculous.

Your analogies are poop, this is about drones and how we mitigate risk, not doing something illegal helps towards that goal. Not only that staying away from schools is good practice, there's the safety aspect and theres the privacy and CHILDREN, we here in the UK  have areas marked for schools etc.

In the UK at least, the 250g regs are for safety, 100%.

Back to the actual subject in hand, I dare say the public would much prefer a drone of legal standing flying over their town than a drone illegally flown. There has to be a line and that line was drawn at 250g, you may not like it but that's just the way it is, if you break the law and get away it then result, but break the law and cause injury and it will be a different matter. If you play the game, you have to accept the prizes.

Im not sure what you're bleating about, to be honest, the EU/UK 250g regs don't apply to you except for registration purposes, is that correct?
2022-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-23 06:44
It would be unlikely here, I hope. Especially as the heavier batteries are not available here.

They are available here,  there's a guy on eBay selling the Fly More plus kits,  he's importing them and selling them on.
2022-6-23
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 22:54
They are available here,  there's a guy on eBay selling the Fly More plus kits,  he's importing them and selling them on.

Have you gone for it yet?
2022-6-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 22:54
They are available here,  there's a guy on eBay selling the Fly More plus kits,  he's importing them and selling them on.

There's a way round every regulation if you look hard enough I suppose.
2022-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-23 23:01
Have you gone for it yet?

No,   I just want a single battery and as soon as I see one I will grab it.   

Although I was reminded of a guy on the forum that posted he was visited by the UK police because he was flying from the garden and his neighbour complained.  The police visited twice for two separate complaints and they did check the weight of the drone.  So if I do fly with it somewhere built up I will make sure I have a normal battery handy.
2022-6-23
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here in the United States it’s not like that but definitely hope they don’t follow that restriction.
2022-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-23 23:10
There's a way round every regulation if you look hard enough I suppose.

Heliguy and Moment were selling the Mavic 3 bits that added weight until DJI clamped down in it.   In the Australia example though they are using max take off weight and ignoring what's actually for sale locally.  
2022-6-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 23:21
Heliguy and Moment were selling the Mavic 3 bits that added weight until DJI clamped down in it.   In the Australia example though they are using max take off weight and ignoring what's actually for sale locally.

Not good for the Ozzie droners then
2022-6-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-23 23:24
Not good for the Ozzie droners then

It could happen anywhere too,   it would nice to just get the rules set and have them stick to them.  
2022-6-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 23:28
It could happen anywhere too,   it would nice to just get the rules set and have them stick to them.

Roger that!  
2022-6-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

EU also is talking about this.
For now we just pretend that is not the case
2022-6-24
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-23 23:15
No,   I just want a single battery and as soon as I see one I will grab it.   

Although I was reminded of a guy on the forum that posted he was visited by the UK police because he was flying from the garden and his neighbour complained.  The police visited twice for two separate complaints and they did check the weight of the drone.  So if I do fly with it somewhere built up I will make sure I have a normal battery handy.

Yep, i can see that happening for sure. We had some moaners here and they posted on the village site, then the parish councillor joined in and said that the flights were legal, he too flys lol i think he either locked the post or removed it
2022-6-24
Use props
RalUK
lvl.2
United Kingdom

This will potentially be an issue for me as I'm in Oz later this year. Is there a link regarding this recent categorisation?
2022-6-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-24 03:50
Yep, i can see that happening for sure. We had some moaners here and they posted on the village site, then the parish councillor joined in and said that the flights were legal, he too flys lol i think he either locked the post or removed it

I rarely fly now from my garden to avoid such issues.  
2022-6-25
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-25 00:12
I rarely fly now from my garden to avoid such issues.

To be honest, i dont do it as much, but if i do, its normally for a test run and i don't hang about over folks gardens. Makes laugh though, we have a steam rally every year with helicopter rides over the village and local areas, no one complains about that, no sunbathing naked for me on that weekend lol
2022-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules