ND1000 Filter for Photography and Stable Drone?
1700 20 2022-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

I've noticed at Ali Express, it's possible to buy individual ND filters and not just in packs.
If I bought a ND1000 (10 stops) to get a shutter speed of around the 1 to 2 seconds (taking photos of waterfalls, moving water or to blur traffic etc).
Would I get sharp images or would the Mini 3 move too much in those long exposure periods, and make using such a strong ND filter a waste of time?

I appreciate there's ND256 (8 stops) availble too.

Thank you.
2022-6-23
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

It had a Freewell ND1000 for the Mini 2 and the times I used it I could never get a completely sharp image, there was always a tiny bit of motion blur. Although it probably doesn't show up as much if the images are posted to social media or scaled down.

I suppose if you had a completely calm day no wind at all and a good amount of sat locked you might get lucky after shooting multiple images.
2022-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You should get sharp photos, you will almost have to shoot more than usual but the hit rate is pretty good.

2022-6-23
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you Yazu and Hallmark 007
2022-6-23
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

As a back up, I'd take a faster shot from the same point so you can blend in the long exposure in post.
2022-6-23
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-23 06:10
You should get sharp photos, you will almost have to shoot more than usual but the hit rate is pretty good.

[view_image]

Great waterfall capture, well done.
2022-6-23
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lobster Posted at 6-23 08:29
As a back up, I'd take a faster shot from the same point so you can blend in the long exposure in post.

Good idea. But how can you place the drone in exactly the same position twice?
2022-6-23
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just received my all day pack from FreeWell. Planning on trying out the 1000 this weekend.

@hallmark007  FANTASTIC shot!
2022-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MS. Good day and thank you for sharing these information about the ND1000 Filter that you have came upon for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2022-6-23
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MS Posted at 6-23 13:33
Good idea. But how can you place the drone in exactly the same position twice?

Just take two shots without moving the drone, but adjusting the capture settings in between. It's a 24mm equivalent lens so the minor jiggling around of the drone isn't going to shift perspective in any noticeable way. If it were me, I'd use the fast shutter as the image then blend in the longer exposed water.
2022-6-23
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lobster Posted at 6-23 22:25
Just take two shots without moving the drone, but adjusting the capture settings in between. It's a 24mm equivalent lens so the minor jiggling around of the drone isn't going to shift perspective in any noticeable way. If it were me, I'd use the fast shutter as the image then blend in the longer exposed water.

Thank you.
2022-6-24
Use props
Lobster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

You're welcome. Thinking about to further tho, there are some compromises to be made with this method, namely the span available between the two shutter speeds as it's not like you can change the filter between shots and you've only got 4 stops of ISO to play with. I'd expose for the highlights of the slower shot and underexpose the faster one if I needed more or didn't want to go to iso1600.

All that said, with my personal creativity and depending on the waterfall in question, my longer exposure time would probably still be less than a second. A 2 second starting point is going to affect how effective doing this is gonna be. But hey, a 2 second exposure and several 1/4sec ones will give you a good chance of something to work with.

If it wasn't for the fact that the nearest decent waterfall is an optimistic 3.5hr drive away from me, I'd be trying this out myself
2022-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It depends.
With windy conditions my rate went down to 5% (acceptable results)
2022-6-24
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lobster Posted at 6-24 01:31
You're welcome. Thinking about to further tho, there are some compromises to be made with this method, namely the span available between the two shutter speeds as it's not like you can change the filter between shots and you've only got 4 stops of ISO to play with. I'd expose for the highlights of the slower shot and underexpose the faster one if I needed more or didn't want to go to iso1600.

All that said, with my personal creativity and depending on the waterfall in question, my longer exposure time would probably still be less than a second. A 2 second starting point is going to affect how effective doing this is gonna be. But hey, a 2 second exposure and several 1/4sec ones will give you a good chance of something to work with.

Many thanks for the additional words of wisdom.
2022-6-24
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-24 01:33
It depends.
With windy conditions my rate went down to 5% (acceptable results)

Thank you.
2022-6-24
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KLRSKIR Posted at 6-23 13:48
I just received my all day pack from FreeWell. Planning on trying out the 1000 this weekend.

@hallmark007  FANTASTIC shot!

Thank you for the reply. I'd be interested to know if there's any colour casts.
2022-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2022-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MS Posted at 6-24 04:59
Thank you for the reply. I'd be interested to know if there's any colour casts.

My Freewell ND1000 for P2 has very very little.
2022-6-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-23 06:10

[view_image]

Wow, that is a fantastic shot hallmark.  I have a 6 pack of Freewells due to arrive today so I can't wait to try them out.  
2022-6-24
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-24 05:02
My Freewell ND1000 for P2 has very very little.

That's great news. Thanks for posting.
2022-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MS Posted at 6-24 05:49
That's great news. Thanks for posting.

2022-6-24
Use props