1233 25 2022-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a few times where I had problem finding my Mini/2/3P when it's just a few hundred feet away on a bright sunny day when I looked up from the screen especially if it's toward the sun. Since it won't be use regularly. I want something small and bright that will charge fairly quickly or uses button batteries, doesn't have to last long as I rarely fly for 10-15 minutes at the same spot. Any recommendations?
2022-6-24
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100558 ft
United States

Firehouse strobe light.

https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse ... 56090554&sr=8-5
2022-6-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 6-24 09:10
Firehouse strobe light.

https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse-Technology-Strobe-Anti-Collision-Lumens/dp/B08F6YWPSW/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdWVBhA4EiwAjcYJELAucVUp1B-N3Tg-IQuDYg-z7hEE_XhhkDncECmmrAoEKR4ZTfcPTRoC6_4QAvD_BwE&hvadid=243380292233&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031574&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18333988413936983960&hvtargid=kwd-408253293822&hydadcr=2114_9907470&keywords=firehouse+strobe&qid=1656090554&sr=8-5

this is expensive and overkill.

try these or similar:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/313029682614?
2022-6-24
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-24 10:27

Saw those but the luminance level is pretty low and may not be that much brighter than the 2 on the drone and I sometimes couldn't see those against the bright sky. I do like that they're battery operated. Got a set of 4 off Amazon for a few $ less and can return if it didn't work out.
2022-6-24
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-24 10:27

It's the best strobe on the market and mandatory to fly at night in the US.
It doubles the distance you can see it during the day.

2022-6-24
Use props
fanse7a1a294
lvl.2
Flight distance : 579114 ft
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 6-24 11:25
Saw those but the luminance level is pretty low and may not be that much brighter than the 2 on the drone and couldn't see those against the bright sky. I do like that they're battery operated. Got a set of 4 off Amazon for a couple $ less and can return if it didn't work out.

I ordered the Firehouse light, primarily to improve VLOS of  my M3P during daylight.  Where should I mount?  I was thinking on the back of the battery or on the belly of the drone (not blocking ventilation holes)?
2022-6-24
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 6-24 11:37
It's the best strobe on the market and mandatory to fly at night in the US.

Yea certainly bright enough at 1000 luminance for daytime use. Will take a look. I know this is nitpicking but I want something bright enough to be seen against a bright sky if I know where to look generally but maybe not too bright as to attract attention.
2022-6-24
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
United States

fanse7a1a294 Posted at 6-24 11:38
I ordered the Firehouse light, primarily to improve VLOS of  my M3P during daylight.  Where should I mount?  I was thinking on the back of the battery or on the belly of the drone (not blocking ventilation holes)?

I have mine mounted on top per the FAA.
Technically it's not there to be seen by the drone pilot but other planes above you. This location does not block the GPS chip.

prop guard2.jpg
2022-6-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

For daylight use, I have one of these. Mount it to the back of the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse ... aps%2C67&sr=8-1
2022-6-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 6-24 11:25
Saw those but the luminance level is pretty low and may not be that much brighter than the 2 on the drone and I sometimes couldn't see those against the bright sky. I do like that they're battery operated. Got a set of 4 off Amazon for a few $ less and can return if it didn't work out.

if it's white and strobing, it will be better than any coloured led already blinking on the drone.  but you're right, it won't help a whole lot.
2022-6-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 6-24 11:37
It's the best strobe on the market and mandatory to fly at night in the US.
It doubles the distance you can see it during the day.

ok since you brought up the "mandatory" law, you know using a strobe during the day does not mitigate the vlos rules, right?  if you cannot see your drone during the day but you add a strobe light and then you can see it, it's still bvlos.

im aware of the strobes on the market, i pretty much have all of them.  my eyesight is pretty good so they don't help me that much during the day since i can see the drone pretty far.  nighttime is totally different.

2022-6-24
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-24 11:50
For daylight use, I have one of these. Mount it to the back of the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Firehouse-Technology-Navigation-Quadcopters-Contained/dp/B06ZZ9D1MQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2WUQ2403GTJ0G&keywords=firehouse+strobe+arc+2&qid=1656099937&sprefix=firehouse+strobe+arc+2%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-1

Thanks, it might be the in-between that I'm looking for.
2022-6-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots here. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have inquiries. Have a wonderful day ahead, Wiz!
2022-6-24
Use props
fanse7a1a294
lvl.2
Flight distance : 579114 ft
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 6-24 11:42
I have mine mounted on top per the FAA.
Technically it's not there to be seen by the drone pilot but other planes above you. This location does not block the GPS chip.

Thanks, where can I find the FAA guidance on mounting the strobe on top of the sUAS?
2022-6-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-24 12:12
ok since you brought up the "mandatory" law, you know using a strobe during the day does not mitigate the vlos rules, right?  if you cannot see your drone during the day but you add a strobe light and then you can see it, it's still bvlos.

im aware of the strobes on the market, i pretty much have all of them.  my eyesight is pretty good so they don't help me that much during the day since i can see the drone pretty far.  nighttime is totally different.

Nice that's a nice collection.  
2022-6-25
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

fanse7a1a294 Posted at 6-25 06:46
Thanks, where can I find the FAA guidance on mounting the strobe on top of the sUAS?

§107.29

Mount the strobe on the top of the aircraft as most aircraft will be at or above 500' AGL.
2022-6-29
Use props
Satureyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524908 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Strobon Cree - they are very very bright. They WILL take the MP3 over the 250g limit. The strobes are about 3g each in weight.
2022-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 6-29 06:32
§107.29

Mount the strobe on the top of the aircraft as most aircraft will be at or above 500' AGL.

where are the rules for the recreational pilot?
where do these rules specify the mounting location for a strobe?
2022-6-29
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-29 06:46
where are the rules for the recreational pilot?
where do these rules specify the mounting location for a strobe?

Common sense dictates that the strobe be ANYWHERE on the top of the aircraft for other aircraft to see it. The FAA left that one up to us. Pro Tip: On the props won't work out well.

Recreational pilots DO NOT need Daylight Waivers to fly at night, but DO need to adhere to nighttime/civil twilight regulations.  
2022-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 6-29 06:57
Common sense dictates that the strobe be ANYWHERE on the top of the aircraft for other aircraft to see it. The FAA left that one up to us. Pro Tip: On the props won't work out well.

Recreational pilots DO NOT need Daylight Waivers to fly at night, but DO need to adhere to nighttime/civil twilight regulations.

im just asking where in the law do you see this, not opinions or "common sense."  if it's not in the law, please say "it's not specified in the law" since there are people who follow the law to the letter.

common sense says no strobe light, no matter where it is mounted, has never ever prevented a collision between a drone and a manned aircraft so top bottom left right, who cares.

common sense says that adding a 4g strobe light to 249g drone doesn't turn the drone into one which must be registered.  or does it?
what "nighttime/civil twilight regulations" are you referring to?
2022-6-29
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-29 07:07
im just asking where in the law do you see this, not opinions or "common sense."  if it's not in the law, please say "it's not specified in the law" since there are people who follow the law to the letter.

common sense says no strobe light, no matter where it is mounted, has never ever prevented a collision between a drone and a manned aircraft so top bottom left right, who cares.

A lot of word salad going on there. Commercial operations with ANY drone MUST adhere to Part 107 regulations.

Where would you apply a strobe where a manned aircraft ABOVE you would be able to see it?

"Civil Twilight" would be something you need to know if you are flying at/near dawn or dusk. I've done my studying and homework, I'll leave yours up to you.
2022-6-29
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-29 07:07

ALL drones must comply with the rules, whether Part 107 or recreational.

§ 107.29 Operation at night.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system at night unless -

(1) The remote pilot in command of the small unmanned aircraft has completed an initial knowledge test or training, as applicable, under § 107.65 after April 6, 2021; and

(2) The small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.

(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.
2022-6-29
Use props
SgtMercy
Second Officer
United States

You would think a guy with so many drones would have some knowledge of the rules and regulations.
And yes a 4g strobe would put it over the weight limit and would have to be registered.
2022-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 6-29 08:24
A lot of word salad going on there. Commercial operations with ANY drone MUST adhere to Part 107 regulations.

Where would you apply a strobe where a manned aircraft ABOVE you would be able to see it?

agreed, i wouldn't answer it either.

the bottom line is there are no placement laws.  apply your strobe wherever you want.  if you believe in it and you want to be effective, you might try to top.  but i think that's silly....whatever.  i think you need to have a strobe at night but that's about it.

but you are correct and i think we both agree that commercial operations with any drone must adhere to part 107.
2022-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-29 09:08
ALL drones must comply with the rules, whether Part 107 or recreational.

§ 107.29 Operation at night.

posted in #18 already but thanks for the reminder.
2022-6-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtMercy Posted at 6-29 09:14
You would think a guy with so many drones would have some knowledge of the rules and regulations.
And yes a 4g strobe would put it over the weight limit and would have to be registered.

there's a difference between knowing the rules and questioning the rules.  i am an america, i'm not a subject.
2022-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules