Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Major noise/gain issue in footage.
3736 29 2022-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jj.ecpvideo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1305886 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a Ronin 4D but am really struggling with the amount of noise in the footage.

Shooting at base of EI800 and the image is just full of noise and won’t capture block colours cleanly regardless if exposure. Turn on peaking and you can see the pixels constantly jumping around without a smooth block colour.

Has anyone noticed this on theirs? Not sure if I was expecting more from the camera but never seen anything like this before from a cine camera.
image.jpg
2022-6-24
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 830564 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting. I've got to say mine is by far the cleanest camera I've ever had. Even with noise reduction turned off.

2022-6-25
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you got a downloadable clip?
2022-6-25
Use props
jj.ecpvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That’s interesting to hear. May hire one in to check the difference as what we are getting from it is very disappointing to be honest.

I’ll get a clip uploaded and share it soon
2022-6-25
Use props
jj.ecpvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

rone4d Posted at 6-25 10:29
Have you got a downloadable clip?

Some test shots in the folder below all shot in EI800. Will post some exterior shots in a while too. Mainly seeing the noise in block colours and just not getting clean images. Is this how yours is?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f4b711ekpdd4ad2/AAC6MS7ehNypa7tZ1yBSwEQVa?dl=0
2022-6-25
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I will download this later today and have a quick look and feedback
2022-6-26
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In checked your footage. It's muddy.

First things first the footage you've shot here is basically HD.  2048*1080.

Can you reshoot in 4K delivery?

And maybe even switch the compressor to H264/10bit.

Let's leave the prores alone for a second due to its massive size.

2022-6-26
Use props
jj.ecpvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hey no worries. I’ve just re-shot 2 clips and added to that folder.

In a hotel room so tried to get you something to show you
2022-6-26
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just checked your 4k clip (quickly at home) in full size full quality and it seemed okay.

I will check properly at work when I get in.
2022-6-26
Use props
jj.ecpvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rone4d Posted at 6-26 22:21
I just checked your 4k clip (quickly at home) in full size full quality and it seemed okay.

I will check properly at work when I get in.

Hey, back in the office now so I've been able to put together a quick video showing where we're noticing this noise.

The first shot is D-Log ungraded with a crop in the corner highlighting one area, then cuts to the same shot with a basic grade and the DJI X9 D-log_to_Rec709 Lut added.

This was shot in D-Log Prores422HQ EI:800 and you can see the amount of chroma noise we're getting in both the shots. This seems majorly excessive! Is your footage anything like this?
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/724813560?h=b19e2ee63c" width="640" height="338" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
2022-6-28
Use props
RussellKentNicholls
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My Ronin 4D also has really bad noise at 320ISO and above... not sure if this normal.
2022-6-28
Use props
jj.ecpvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RussellKentNicholls Posted at 6-28 06:23
My Ronin 4D also has really bad noise at 320ISO and above... not sure if this normal.

Interesting to hear... We've actually sent ours back now to the retailer who are assessing it. I'm hoping we can get some help from DJI as this is not at all what we expected in a Cine camera. Really disappointing if this is just the quality of the footage and not at all acceptable.

We've even had clients question it which shows something can't be right.
2022-7-4
Use props
JJP-ECP
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can anybody from DJI help with this? I can send numerous examples showing what we are capturing. Hoping to find out if this is the performance of the camera or if ours has a defect?
2022-7-4
Use props
rone4d
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just to recap I shot something in low light at s35 and it was noiser than full frame. But on the whole very clean.
2022-7-4
Use props
XavierRonin
lvl.2

United States

I get a similar level of noise in all of my darks. Now I am wondering if I also have a hardware issue. I just assumed it was the natural poor noise performance of this camera. Please let me know if you find out more. I can upload sample footage if needed.
2022-7-5
Use props
JJP-ECP
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

XavierRonin Posted at 7-5 03:55
I get a similar level of noise in all of my darks. Now I am wondering if I also have a hardware issue. I just assumed it was the natural poor noise performance of this camera. Please let me know if you find out more. I can upload sample footage if needed.

The camera is currently on it's way back to DJI. We sent it to the retailer who assessed it and have said it's defective so it's going back to DJI for repair or replacement.

I'm hoping it is defective and not just the poor performance otherwise the camera is unusable. Cutting into Sony FX6 and FX3 footage and the 4D is not at all on the same level. We did manage to get one of the first from our supplier so I'm hoping it's a problem with an early model. If not we'll be getting rid and swapping for another Sony.
2022-7-5
Use props
XavierRonin
lvl.2

United States

So I have been recently playing with the noise reduction settings and since doing so, I just noticed that my camera noise seems to be significantly less than what it was before by turning noise reduction to 0 and or -1. Here is a sample clip showing what my camera produces at 0. I have no idea why its suddenly seems better. But does this look decent to you?

Here are the settings
sony gmaster 14mm

Porch shot - somewhat bright room with dark colors
30FPS
180 degree shutter
el 800
f5

bathroom vanity two shots - dark room no lights
f2.8 el 800 and el 5000
everything else the same

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yg2rk ... 20705_002G.mp4?dl=0
2022-7-5
Use props
TomBanno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3292060 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJP-ECP Posted at 7-5 04:02
The camera is currently on it's way back to DJI. We sent it to the retailer who assessed it and have said it's defective so it's going back to DJI for repair or replacement.

I'm hoping it is defective and not just the poor performance otherwise the camera is unusable. Cutting into Sony FX6 and FX3 footage and the 4D is not at all on the same level. We did manage to get one of the first from our supplier so I'm hoping it's a problem with an early model. If not we'll be getting rid and swapping for another Sony.

Hi, wondering if this was resolved? Was the camera defective or did they send you another? If they sent another unit has the noise issue been fixed? Cheers
2022-7-7
Use props
TomBanno
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

The camera is currently on it's way back to DJI. We sent it to the retailer who assessed it and have said it's defective so it's going back to DJI for repair or replacement.

I'm hoping it is defective and not just the poor performance otherwise the camera is unusable. Cutting into Sony FX6 and FX3 footage and the 4D is not at all on the same level. We did manage to get one of the first from our supplier so I'm hoping it's a problem with an early model. If not we'll be getting rid and swapping for another Sony.

Hi, wondering if this was resolved? Was the camera defective or did they send you another? If they sent another unit has the noise issue been fixed? Cheers
2022-7-7
Use props
TomBanno
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

2022-7-7
Use props
JJP-ECP
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TomBanno Posted at 7-7 23:33

Still waiting to hear an outcome. Supplier said it can take 3-4 weeks to either receive it back or have a replacement sent. Will post an update once we’ve heard any more.
2022-7-8
Use props
djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy
lvl.1

United States

Any resolve on this noise issue? I'm having the same issue. I am going to do a refresh on my firmware update and make sure my dji assistant 2 software is up to date also. I tried resetting camera, cleaning lenses, securing mount again and even switching lenses and switch to e mount from dL mount. Also I unplugged everything from camera. Hoping it's just a firmware issue.
2022-12-30
Use props
djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy
lvl.1

United States

The camera is currently on it's way back to DJI. We sent it to the retailer who assessed it and have said it's defective so it's going back to DJI for repair or replacement.

I'm hoping it is defective and not just the poor performance otherwise the camera is unusable. Cutting into Sony FX6 and FX3 footage and the 4D is not at all on the same level. We did manage to get one of the first from our supplier so I'm hoping it's a problem with an early model. If not we'll be getting rid and swapping for another Sony.

Guess what?!?! I figured it out. All i did was downgrade my firmare to the old version and there was no noise issue. Then i upgraded back to the original version and the issue was fixed! I would not recommend trying to refresh the firmware as that didnt resolve problem for some reason and dont worry if donload does not fully finish if it gets stuck at 79 or 87% and your camera is back on and updated you are goo to go. Let me know if this helped.
2022-12-30
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy Posted at 2022-12-30 22:34
Guess what?!?! I figured it out. All i did was downgrade my firmare to the old version and there was no noise issue. Then i upgraded back to the original version and the issue was fixed! I would not recommend trying to refresh the firmware as that didnt resolve problem for some reason and dont worry if donload does not fully finish if it gets stuck at 79 or 87% and your camera is back on and updated you are goo to go. Let me know if this helped.

Wait, this really helped?? I don't think I've had noise issues but WOW!

From what version to what version did you downgrade to?
2023-1-1
Use props
djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy
lvl.1

United States

Ford4D Posted at 1-1 04:22
Wait, this really helped?? I don't think I've had noise issues but WOW!

From what version to what version did you downgrade to?

I downgraded to version 3.1 and back to version 4.01 I just noticed alot of noise when I put lens cap on and in editing footage I felt like too much noise was happening and I couldn't find a fix so I decided it might be some glitch in camera.
2023-1-1
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3

United States

djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy Posted at 1-1 08:12
I downgraded to version 3.1 and back to version 4.01 I just noticed alot of noise when I put lens cap on and in editing footage I felt like too much noise was happening and I couldn't find a fix so I decided it might be some glitch in camera.

That's so weird! I wonder what's causing it on the software end??
2023-1-1
Use props
djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy
lvl.1

United States

Ford4D Posted at 1-1 10:14
That's so weird! I wonder what's causing it on the software end??

I think at one point a month ago something happened while ising the camera where the monitor said something along the lines of "unstable firmware update now?" Didnt think much of it but i confirmed it on the screen but i wasnt even connected to a computer to update so maybe it glitched or something.
2023-1-5
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3

United States

djiuser_f6eDwDrnjZIy Posted at 1-5 19:44
I think at one point a month ago something happened while ising the camera where the monitor said something along the lines of "unstable firmware update now?" Didnt think much of it but i confirmed it on the screen but i wasnt even connected to a computer to update so maybe it glitched or something.

Both I and my friend have that problem with our Remote Monitors...
2023-1-6
Use props
djiuser_NytdlOsMZT4D
New
United States

Hi.
Do you have any updates on this, I am having the same issue.
I have never had a camera with this much noise. I have to use noise reduction on every single clip.

I tried downgrading as suggested but it’s the same.

Best,
Thomas
2023-2-24
Use props
JJP-ECP
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_NytdlOsMZT4D Posted at 2-24 06:28
Hi.
Do you have any updates on this, I am having the same issue.
I have never had a camera with this much noise. I have to use noise reduction on every single clip.

For us, we sent the camera back to DJI who ran tests to check it.

Said it was fine after testing and would return it, however they shipped back a new main body but our original accessories which makes us think it wasn’t fine. Serials numbers were different on the body we sent and the noise is not at all like we were getting…

One thing we have noticed is that even in this replacement, nailing exposure is critical, if it’s under by a little bit, it’s very difficult to grade up cleanly without introducing noise, but nothing like our first body we had.
2023-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules