Kinda lost But Ruined
878 22 2022-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Was trying out "Quick Shots," when, due to me not having it up high enough, the Mini2 crashed into a 50 foot tall Palm Tree, and stayed.
IIt was at Santa Anita Race Track.  I contacted their Security, gave them my name and phone number, they said they would check on it.
2 days went by, I called them, they said they have other more important things to do, but that they will get to it.  Third day we had
multiple thunderstorms, with plenty of heavy rains.  Forth day had some more of that weather.  It is probably ruined now, but will keep
the faith and hope that I am contacted.  I got a Mavic Air 2, and am getting used to it, once I feel like I can handle it, I will take it up
to the tree, video anything I can see, and see whar the hopes are of getting it down.  Unless, with all the thunder and rain, it has not fallen out.

2022-6-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That sucks.  If it has fallen out of the tree, maybe you can recover the bits and claim - do you have Care Refresh?
2022-6-24
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh man that just stinks, hope it’s still their and not blown away and that you can get it out.
2022-6-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man that is sad Bob.  Hopefully, you'll eventually be able to get it back but after all that rain not sure how it will effect the electronics in it.  

If you don't want to upgrade to the Mini 3 Pro then keep watching as I bet you'll see some Mini 2 sales coming up soon.
2022-6-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-25 06:45
Man that is sad Bob.  Hopefully, you'll eventually be able to get it back but after all that rain not sure how it will effect the electronics in it.  

If you don't want to upgrade to the Mini 3 Pro then keep watching as I bet you'll see some Mini 2 sales coming up soon.

Thanks for concern, but was my own fault, did not have it up high enough while trying "Quick Shots."
I did get Mavic Air2 and am taking it up there to video "the crash site," and see IF I can figure a way to retrieve it.   Yes, I agree with you, with the heavy rains and powerful shaking thunder, it was subjected to a lot.  Maybe they will call one day soon - would be nice.

THANKS ALL!
2022-6-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-25 14:38
Thanks for concern, but was my own fault, did not have it up high enough while trying "Quick Shots."
I did get Mavic Air2 and am taking it up there to video "the crash site," and see IF I can figure a way to retrieve it.   Yes, I agree with you, with the heavy rains and powerful shaking thunder, it was subjected to a lot.  Maybe they will call one day soon - would be nice.

Just another lesson learned.

I can't tell you how many times I've crashed my cinewhoop.  Good news is it is usually an easy DIY repair provided I have the spares.  If I don't have them then it is a 2 week delay waiting on shipment.

Anyway, have fun flying the Mavic Air 2 and hope you get a call on the Mini 2.
2022-6-26
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-26 04:53
Just another lesson learned.

I can't tell you how many times I've crashed my cinewhoop.  Good news is it is usually an easy DIY repair provided I have the spares.  If I don't have them then it is a 2 week delay waiting on shipment.

I always try to have the attitude, "this drone does not crash," and until I got anxious about trying "Quick Shots," it has never crashed.  But I wanted to get quick shots to work, and did not have it flying high enough - lack of attention to detail.  Where I worked for many years, "check and re-check."
     Yes, I almost jump each rime the telephone rings.
2022-6-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-26 10:10
I always try to have the attitude, "this drone does not crash," and until I got anxious about trying "Quick Shots," it has never crashed.  But I wanted to get quick shots to work, and did not have it flying high enough - lack of attention to detail.  Where I worked for many years, "check and re-check."
     Yes, I almost jump each rime the telephone rings.

Well one can hope that you'll get the right call soon.  
2022-6-27
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-27 04:40
Well one can hope that you'll get the right call soon.

I found the "Quick Shots" of the flight and crash, (knew they should be someplace), the craft DID ascend gradually, but even with that and no obstacle avoidance, the little thing was doomed, by lack of attention to detail.  Yes a lesson re-learned, which I thought I had learned well, years ago.  The Smart Controller and the Mini2 do so damn much on their own, I put too much faith in them, there will not be a next time!.  After 8 days and nights in a palm tree, and heavy rain for a day and a half as well, I figure the battery is at least swollen, and perhaps leaking by now.  IF they ever call, I'll go get it and check it out though.
2022-6-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-27 12:11
I found the "Quick Shots" of the flight and crash, (knew they should be someplace), the craft DID ascend gradually, but even with that and no obstacle avoidance, the little thing was doomed, by lack of attention to detail.  Yes a lesson re-learned, which I thought I had learned well, years ago.  The Smart Controller and the Mini2 do so damn much on their own, I put too much faith in them, there will not be a next time!.  After 8 days and nights in a palm tree, and heavy rain for a day and a half as well, I figure the battery is at least swollen, and perhaps leaking by now.  IF they ever call, I'll go get it and check it out though.

Sadly we sometimes have to re-learn our lessons.  Only takes a second of complacency for something to happen, even to experienced pilots.  

Have you had any thoughts of picking up another Mini 2?  I've seen some pretty good prices on used ones.  Probably from the pilots moving up to the Mini 3.  

Guess you might be contemplating changing your forum name now to Bob-Mavic Air 2.

Despite the loss of the Mini 2 I hope you are able to have a good week.
2022-6-27
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-27 14:48
Sadly we sometimes have to re-learn our lessons.  Only takes a second of complacency for something to happen, even to experienced pilots.  

Have you had any thoughts of picking up another Mini 2?  I've seen some pretty good prices on used ones.  Probably from the pilots moving up to the Mini 3.  

Mini2 was the best of the three drones I have had, it was fun to fly and not too big for the backyard, I enjoyed it!  I have not given up on a miracle happening, I get it back, and all works well.  However, till   that happens, I am trying to learn all about the Mavic Air2, lots there.  IF I didn't make mistakes now and then, I would really worry
2022-6-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-27 17:23
Mini2 was the best of the three drones I have had, it was fun to fly and not too big for the backyard, I enjoyed it!  I have not given up on a miracle happening, I get it back, and all works well.  However, till   that happens, I am trying to learn all about the Mavic Air2, lots there.  IF I didn't make mistakes now and then, I would really worry

I'd be worried that rain (water) and electronics never mix well.  However, miracles to still happen so never give up. I bought a used Mini 2 and loved flying it.  When I picked up the Air 2S I passed the Mini 2 to my grandson.  He is becoming a  very good pilot and is hinting about an upgrade.  He doesn't know that I bought him a Mini 3 pro for his upcoming birthday.  So I might get the Mini 2 back.  
2022-6-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch, that is not nice to hear.
2022-6-28
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-28 02:45
I'd be worried that rain (water) and electronics never mix well.  However, miracles to still happen so never give up. I bought a used Mini 2 and loved flying it.  When I picked up the Air 2S I passed the Mini 2 to my grandson.  He is becoming a  very good pilot and is hinting about an upgrade.  He doesn't know that I bought him a Mini 3 pro for his upcoming birthday.  So I might get the Mini 2 back.

YOU just want the Mini2 back, no matter the cost, and look the good guy. Just kidding, nice to give the right kind of bending to the young tree.
2022-6-28
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

***  NOTICE TO ALL INTERESTED***
     First the story:  Was trying to get Mini2 to do "Quick Shots," but the + mark did not show on the screen, I tapped around
the screen in the area where it was supposed to be, when I got it, it came right up visible to draw the box around the spot
that it was to use for center.  (the + mark is just NOT visible when you enter QS, why I do not know, I had to find it by tapping,
THEN it showed)  The Mini2 took off and started to move around as it arose on it's own.  It went up and farther around then
crashed into a 50 foot  tall Palm Tree, and stayed in place.  I contacted the people that own the tree, they took my name and phone,
no calls for 4 days after a thunder storm and heavy rain the next morning starting about Midnight and going on and off all the day
and early evening.  I called the owners on the fourth day, they took my name and number again.  I started thinking about the Li-Po
battery and the dangers of leaking, fire, and slim chance of explosion.  
     Today I went to the Fire Department and told them about the situation because of the battery.  They recommended I talk to
the Santa Anita Horse Race Track where the Mini2 was in their Palm Tree, I did contact their Security people once again, (this time
I talked to the Sergeant.)  He was understanding an advised me about being responsible for ANY damage MY drone caused.  He took my
name and phone number, and stated that the Tree Maintenance folks were there today, he would have them look for it.
     Miracle happened, the Sergeant called me to come and get the Mini2.  I got the drone home looked it over very well, tested it with
a battery in it. Then tested it with the motors going, then flying it, and really trying everything I could think of.  ALL WENT WELL.
     Am truly glad that my mistake came back, won't happen again.  Also that Dji's Mini2 sat in a 50 foot Palm Tree during a thunder storm with
heavy rain for one day.  It was in that palm tree day and night for 11 24 hour periods.  And still is okay so far.  That is pretty good for Dji
and the tough little Mini2.  Thank you all for your comments!
2022-6-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-28 15:37
YOU just want the Mini2 back, no matter the cost, and look the good guy. Just kidding, nice to give the right kind of bending to the young tree.

He's really a great kid, never in trouble, good grades and very respectful.  Not like most kids nowadays.
2022-6-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-28 16:09
     First the story:  Was trying to get Mini2 to do "Quick Shots," but the + mark did not show on the screen, I tapped around
the screen in the area where it was supposed to be, when I got it, it came right up visible to draw the box around the spot

Now that is what I call a super happy ending.  Could be the palm fronds protected the drone somewhat during all that rain.

Glad you got it back Bob.   

2022-6-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-29 06:41
Now that is what I call a super happy ending.  Could be the palm fronds protected the drone somewhat during all that rain.

Glad you got it back Bob.

THANK YOU so am I, but I also had to point out how well the Mini2 did, also a note I forgot, NO battery swelling, it came out as easily as it normally goes in.  Agree about the Palm Fronds.  I really was surprised that the Gimbal did not get messed-up.  It had a smudge on the left upper portion of the front, between the hole on the left, and the left edge of the center LED. (looking at it from behind.)
2022-6-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-29 08:55
THANK YOU so am I, but I also had to point out how well the Mini2 did, also a note I forgot, NO battery swelling, it came out as easily as it normally goes in.  Agree about the Palm Fronds.  I really was surprised that the Gimbal did not get messed-up.  It had a smudge on the left upper portion of the front, between the hole on the left, and the left edge of the center LED. (looking at it from behind.)

All is well that ends well.  
2022-6-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-28 16:09
     First the story:  Was trying to get Mini2 to do "Quick Shots," but the + mark did not show on the screen, I tapped around

Hi, Bob~ We are glad to see you find your drone and hope you can always have a nice fly. If you have any more needs or questions, you can contact us at any time~
2022-7-1
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 7-1 23:52
Hi, Bob~ We are glad to see you find your drone and hope you can always have a nice fly. If you have any more needs or questions, you can contact us at any time~

Thank you Natalia, and yes, I am glad to have the Mini2 back.
2022-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 7-6 09:15
Thank you Natalia, and yes, I am glad to have the Mini2 back.

You are welcome, and we wish you a nice and safety fly always.
2022-7-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 7-6 17:59
You are welcome, and we wish you a nice and safety fly always.

2022-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules