DJI RC - Hot
2070 7 2022-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rpguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5738396 ft
United States

Anyone else notice how warm the DJI RC screen gets when flying ?

Today was 91F, and standing in the shade. 2nd battery, tapped the screen to draw a box aound a POI.
That screen gets pretty warm/hot to the touch not burning, and you probably don't want to leave your finger on there for too long.
Next time I'm out flying, i'll get a temp reading of the controller.

(Didn't notice any dimming, and it continued to be ok to fly)
2022-6-26
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

91 f is fairly hot
2022-6-26
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes it does get hot if you're in direct sunlight and recording but at least the screen does not auto-dim like most phone. I usually look for a shady spot while flying.
2022-6-26
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pretty nice that it doesn’t auto dim.
2022-6-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there rpguy. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. May we please know if you are receiving any error message or error codes on the DJI Fly application when this is happening? In addition I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mini 3 Pro and uses the DJI RC can give out the best information as well with regards  to this matter. Thank you.
2022-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess for some folks it is. Yesterday in Florida, USA, it was 95F in the afternoon where I live. If the RC was only 91, i would have assumed it had some refrigeration feature ;-)
As a retired electrical eningeer, I can say the very minimium high temperature limit accepted for most consumer product parts is 40C, which is 104F.

2022-6-26
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5738396 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-26 19:52
I guess for some folks it is. Yesterday in Florida, USA, it was 95F in the afternoon where I live. If the RC was only 91, i would have assumed it had some refrigeration feature ;-)
As a retired electrical eningeer, I can say the very minimium high temperature limit accepted for most consumer product parts is 40C, which is 104F.

OP here. I flew 2 batteries today. Temp here 85F, and a bit humid. Somewhat cloudy, but flew for the most part in shade. Temperature of the DJI RC stayed steady at around 124F-125F, checked after each battery.  Underside of the DJI RC was about 118F-119F.
Yes, I had the screen brightness to full, and a screen recording running.

No error messages or noticeable issues. The screen was pretty warm/hot to the touch.
I was able to still change camera modes and select POI, etc.
The center of the screen seemed to be slightly hotter than the edges.
(Used Etekcity IR Thermomter 774)

2022-6-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

rpguy Posted at 6-27 09:24
OP here. I flew 2 batteries today. Temp here 85F, and a bit humid. Somewhat cloudy, but flew for the most part in shade. Temperature of the DJI RC stayed steady at around 124F-125F, checked after each battery.  Underside of the DJI RC was about 118F-119F.
Yes, I had the screen brightness to full, and a screen recording running.

You are good. Commercial specs are usually 60C (140F) and that is a minimum; most designers go higher just to be safe. Most wiring and circuit boards can do 100C easily. The components are the limiting factor. I assume DJI is buying the best as China is leading the world now in electronics manufacturing (consumer and commercial, but not industrial yet).

Dale Carnegie referenced this in an anecdote long ago in his book:
"A company that sells electric motors encountered a customer complaint  about their motors being too hot. The customer was considering  terminating the business relationship, but the company believed to be  the complaint to be ill-founded: they had done extensive testing and  felt strongly that their motors met temperature standards. Instead of  arguing with the customer, the sales rep started conversation with  series of questions emphasizing shared beliefs and goals: “You should  not buy motors if they are running any hotter than standards, isn’t that  so?” The client agreed. The sales rep then asked about the temperature  of the room in which the motor is located, and then continued: “If the  room is 75 degrees and the motor is 72, would not the motor get hotter  because of the room temperature?” The customer agreed — hard to argue  with basic thermodynamics. By gently and positively asking about the  situation in an honestly inquisitive, perspective-agnostic manner, the  company was able to reassure the customer that their motors worked as  expected. By avoiding argument and looking at the problem from the  customer’s point of view, the company was able to keep the account."     
2022-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules