Flying in Portugal
4451 16 2022-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NTH1981
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222612 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I will be on holiday in Portugal next month & would love to take my mini 2 with me.
I have a UK flyer ID & drone registration for it but not sure if i can use this in Portugal as a visitor or do i need to do something else?  i will only be there for 2 weeks.
I dont want to get into any trouble so would love a heads up.
2022-6-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a good website on rules for drone flying in Portugal.

This is the official Portugal UAS website for drone rules and laws.  It is in portugues but if you use Google Chrome you can translate the page into english.

Hope this helps.

2022-6-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there NTH1981. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have gone to Portugal can give out the best recommendation with regards to this matter. In addition, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with your DJI intelligent flight batteries and for reference I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2022-6-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

been there recently, no problems flying there. (all legal, almost everywhere allowed to fly)
Only drones < 250 gr are limited to 30 meter flying height.

cheers
JJB
2022-6-28
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm off to Greece in the next 2 weeks and as we are now Non EU  I took the on line course to get my Remote Pilot Certificate. I used the Luxembourg  one as any EU country will do. It was free and took about 2 hrs to complete. I know you also need Operator Registration but I'm hoping just showing my certificate if asked will do, at least I made the effort to comply.  its probably the same for Portugal.
2022-6-28
Use props
NTH1981
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the info, i’ll have a look at it all tonight. I never actually gave a thought to the transportation of the batteries. I’ll need to look into that too.
2022-6-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

NTH1981 Posted at 6-28 00:59
Thanks for all the info, i’ll have a look at it all tonight. I never actually gave a thought to the transportation of the batteries. I’ll need to look into that too.

i use 3 seperate 'bags', in my handluggage, never had any problem with airlinesBatt at approx 30%.  just to be sure if security wants to see that batterys are not fully loaded.

cheers
JJB
Image 001.png
2022-6-28
Use props
NTH1981
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Dale 68 Posted at 6-28 00:49
I'm off to Greece in the next 2 weeks and as we are now Non EU  I took the on line course to get my Remote Pilot Certificate. I used the Luxembourg  one as any EU country will do. It was free and took about 2 hrs to complete. I know you also need Operator Registration but I'm hoping just showing my certificate if asked will do, at least I made the effort to comply.  its probably the same for Portugal.

Hi, Do you have a link to the website you used for this? The only ones i can find want to charge me 165 euros
2022-6-29
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

NTH1981 Posted at 6-29 08:22
Hi, Do you have a link to the website you used for this? The only ones i can find want to charge me 165 euros

https://dac.gouvernement.lu/en/drones/train-where-how.html

You should take the A1/A3 training.
2022-6-29
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NTH1981 Posted at 6-29 08:22
Hi, Do you have a link to the website you used for this? The only ones i can find want to charge me 165 euros

As above  ^^
2022-6-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-28 00:22
been there recently, no problems flying there. (all legal, almost everywhere allowed to fly)
Only drones < 250 gr are limited to 30 meter flying height.

? Drones less than 250g (ie the Mini 2) are not allowed to go higher than 30m, but heavier drones are?

Is that right?

Sounds the wrong way around...
2022-6-30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

No Original Thought Posted at 6-30 14:05
? Drones less than 250g (ie the Mini 2) are not allowed to go higher than 30m, but heavier drones are?

Is that right?

i read this april 2022 in an official portugese web site, indeed a strange limitation.
To be honest ; i did not follow this rule flying there....

But cannot find it now where i have read this.

cheers
JJB
2022-6-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 6-30 23:30
i read this april 2022 in an official portugese web site, indeed a strange limitation.
To be honest ; i did not follow this rule flying there....

Very strange rule indeed.

They allow drones that would have a higher impact force to fly higher... Madness.

Would be interesting to see it if you do find where you read it.
2022-7-2
Use props
markramer
lvl.2

Germany

Hello guys, did you register on e-AAN and request permits for the defined flight areas? Also, did you ask for permits from ICNF (national reservate, e.g. algarve region) and the captaincies for flying above beach and sea?
2022-7-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

markramer Posted at 7-10 02:17
Hello guys, did you register on e-AAN and request permits for the defined flight areas? Also, did you ask for permits from ICNF (national reservate, e.g. algarve region) and the captaincies for flying above beach and sea?

hi,

i did not....when i prepared my travel in may this was not known by me  ( and i did search the web about flying in Portugal)

Did few flights in Portugal (inland and beaches ect) , no one did a check on me....
Having said that, if i had known i had registerd myself/drone.

cheers
JJB

2022-7-10
Use props
NTH1981
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Just a little update, Managed to get the certificate eventually. I took the drone through as carry on luggage, no one even asked me to remove it from the bag.
Spent 10 days in Portugal & managed to get a grand total of about 8 minutes of filming. Turns out the Portuguese seagulls do not like the drone. Tried at the beach & they started circling  & swooping for it. In the town i managed to get onto the roof of my hotel, perfect take off area, as soon as it took off they all started squawking & within 30 seconds they were all in the air diving for it, tried to fly away but they just followed it. Didnt want to loose the drone so gave up  
2022-8-5
Use props
insider
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60515 ft
Ireland

NTH1981 Posted at 8-5 06:05
Just a little update, Managed to get the certificate eventually. I took the drone through as carry on luggage, no one even asked me to remove it from the bag.
Spent 10 days in Portugal & managed to get a grand total of about 8 minutes of filming. Turns out the Portuguese seagulls do not like the drone. Tried at the beach & they started circling  & swooping for it. In the town i managed to get onto the roof of my hotel, perfect take off area, as soon as it took off they all started squawking & within 30 seconds they were all in the air diving for it, tried to fly away but they just followed it. Didnt want to loose the drone so gave up

There’s always a downside to being a bird magnet!!!
2022-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules