A warning related to the tripod thread mount of the Pocket 2
2612 16 2022-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Recently, I almost messed my pants when I made a mistake with the Pocket 2 that could have proven to be expensive.

I was attempting to record my bicycle ride with my Pocket 2 attached to a handlebar mount with the tripod thread mount adapter that came with the Pocket 2, having it screwed to the mount by that. I had barely started the ride, when I rode over a manhole cover and the bike took a bump... resulting in the Pocket 2 POPPING OFF the mount adapter and falling straight onto concrete. (The thread stayed attached to the handlebar mount, but the part that attached between the thread and the Pocket 2 got loose from the Pocket 2.) It also caused my ND filter to pop off the Pocket 2 and fly into the grass patch nearby, having it lost for a while. Luckily, it seems like the Pocket 2 is still working, and I also managed to find the lost ND filter and that seemed to be fine too, but that taught me a valuable lesson:

When mounting the Pocket 2 to a mount for action shots that could cause in bumps and vibrations, ALWAYS use the DJI's own Osmo Pocket Action camera mount adapter instead of the thread mount adapter. Only use the thread one for static and stable conditions. NEVER rely on the thread mount for action shots.

Might be that I just was thoughtless and should have seen that coming, but decided to share this experience in case someone else could avoid the same pitfall when doing this.

Might post the resulted video at some point after editing (and censoring the plethora of cursing that occurred in the accident).

2022-6-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear no damage to the P2 and very nice that you found the tiny ND filter in the grass.   

Lesson learned and thanks for sharing to keep others from the same thing happening.  

I'm interested to see what DJI is working on for the Pocket 3.  Might be time to upgrade my OG Pocket 1.
2022-6-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there HGDC84. I am sorry to read and to know about what happened to your DJI Pocket 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened and if you feel that your DJI Pocket 2 is not working properly in the future. Kindly please contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for what happened and thank you.
2022-6-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

As I recall it, there's a lanyard attachment point on the Pocket 2 which can be used to attach a safety strap, though even that might not prevent damage from the camera getting knocked against something while dangling from the string.
2022-6-27
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-27 20:17
As I recall it, there's a lanyard attachment point on the Pocket 2 which can be used to attach a safety strap, though even that might not prevent damage from the camera getting knocked against something while dangling from the string.

The safety strap also popped into my mind after the accident had already happened. But I started to wonder if it still could get knocked against something, right like you said.

I think my safest bet from now on will be using the Osmo Pocket Action camera mount adapter.
2022-6-28
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-27 15:31
Glad to hear no damage to the P2 and very nice that you found the tiny ND filter in the grass.   

Lesson learned and thanks for sharing to keep others from the same thing happening.  

Yeah, I was relieved after the initial shock when I found the filter and checked the Pocket 2 to find out it was still working.

Just thought to told that in case somebody was about to make the same mistake.

Will be interesting to see how the Pocket 3 will turn out, although I am not likely to upgrade to it immediately (unless I really manage to wreck my Pocket 2 first XD )
2022-6-28
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-27 19:13
Hello there HGDC84. I am sorry to read and to know about what happened to your DJI Pocket 2 and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened and if you feel that your DJI Pocket 2 is not working properly in the future. Kindly please contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry for what happened and thank you.

Thanks, will bear that in mind in case I need further service and support. Seems to be fine now, but good to know anyway.

I think it would be good if you mentioned to Pocket 2 buyers that the thread mount is not suitable for this use scenario, and also, possibly redesigning that with the Pocket 3 could help prevent these issues (for instance, making the tripod mount thread integrated instead of a detachable adapter).
2022-6-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch! That could have been an expensive mistake.  Glad the P2 and attachments survived. Thanks for the warning.
2022-6-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 6-28 07:07
Yeah, I was relieved after the initial shock when I found the filter and checked the Pocket 2 to find out it was still working.

Just thought to told that in case somebody was about to make the same mistake.

I'm not firm on upgrading to the P3 yet, but the P1 is not getting any new updates and with technology changes every year I'm sure DJI can come up with a really cool upgraded version for the Pocket 3.  
2022-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

HGDC84 Posted at 6-28 07:10
Thanks, will bear that in mind in case I need further service and support. Seems to be fine now, but good to know anyway.

I think it would be good if you mentioned to Pocket 2 buyers that the thread mount is not suitable for this use scenario, and also, possibly redesigning that with the Pocket 3 could help prevent these issues (for instance, making the tripod mount thread integrated instead of a detachable adapter).

Hi there HGDC84. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any concerns or any issue with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. .
2022-6-29
Use props
Greg_Toronto
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for the heads-up. Unlike the do-it-all handle that clamps in to place with spring loaded tabs, the smaller tripod mount handle is attached with friction. I figure, the more often you remove/insert the tripod mount handle, it will loose its cohesion with the camera. You could tape the two together, but I don't think it will do much. Unfortunately, that action camera mount adapter is a bit pricy for what it is and why I have yet to get one (as I have two pocket 2 units). Maybe I will get a friend to 3D print one for me.
2022-7-1
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Greg_Toronto Posted at 7-1 19:43
Thanks for the heads-up. Unlike the do-it-all handle that clamps in to place with spring loaded tabs, the smaller tripod mount handle is attached with friction. I figure, the more often you remove/insert the tripod mount handle, it will loose its cohesion with the camera. You could tape the two together, but I don't think it will do much. Unfortunately, that action camera mount adapter is a bit pricy for what it is and why I have yet to get one (as I have two pocket 2 units). Maybe I will get a friend to 3D print one for me.

Have to agree with you on the points of friction and the cost of the action cam mount. While it is more secure than the thread mount, I wouldn't mind it being a little cheaper.

I hope you have fun with your Pocket 2's, it is a great little camera after you get over the activation nonsense. :-)
2022-7-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-29 20:58
Hi there HGDC84. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any concerns or any issue with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you.  .

Thanks for the support :-)
2022-7-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-29 05:55
I'm not firm on upgrading to the P3 yet, but the P1 is not getting any new updates and with technology changes every year I'm sure DJI can come up with a really cool upgraded version for the Pocket 3.

It will be interesting to see what changes they will make. I hope they learn from their (luckily relatively small amount of) mistakes and keep the good stuff or make them even better.

While I'm not hurrying to get a new one instead of the Pocket 2, I could consider buying another Pocket model later on if they keep up the standards and if I really need to get a new one.
2022-7-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 7-3 03:24
It will be interesting to see what changes they will make. I hope they learn from their (luckily relatively small amount of) mistakes and keep the good stuff or make them even better.

While I'm not hurrying to get a new one instead of the Pocket 2, I could consider buying another Pocket model later on if they keep up the standards and if I really need to get a new one.

It is a bit cost prohibitive and really doesn't make sense to upgrade every time a new model of something comes out.  I usually keep my smartphone and laptop for at least 3 years before I consider updating.  
2022-7-3
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-3 06:23
It is a bit cost prohibitive and really doesn't make sense to upgrade every time a new model of something comes out.  I usually keep my smartphone and laptop for at least 3 years before I consider updating.

Very true words and wise thoughts.
2022-7-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 7-11 12:27
Very true words and wise thoughts.

Thanks.  
2022-7-12