Surprise comparing Mini 3 Pro to Olympus OMD-EM1 MK2
769 14 2022-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I did some tests in this post https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268001&page=1#pid2785006  comparing the 12MP images to 48MP and concluded the 48MP images are definitely providing greater information and clarity especially if you take at least 3 shots and stack them using median mode in something like Affinity Photo or Photoshop.
But I was really impressed with the result, it was something way better than the Mini 1. I have always been a little frustrated with the Mini 1 as it's image quality while fine for 360x180 Panos but really struggle with single shots from it without an enormous amount of post processing. I have always used my Olympus OMD EM-1 MK2 as a bench mark or standard to achieve as that camera will happily enlarge single shots up to a metre or more in dimension. It's a 4/3 sensor. So I thought only fitting to run that same test I did comparing 12MP vs 48MP  but this time compare the 48MP to the Olympus.  Here is the result!

Mini 3 VS OMD-EM-1 MK2 downsized.jpg

Here is the undownsized link for a non compressed view  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdE1WD5PPRh59A7JlT2U6J-QNl01nLiy/view?usp=sharing

I was surprised with the Mini 3 Pro result, to me it compares really well if not actually shows more detail than the Olympus!  I was not expecting that...

2022-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bussty. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information and your positive feedback for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.
2022-6-29
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Details in Olympus makes Mini 3 look like a drunken duck.
Try video too, you will be amazed...about the ghosting and blur in Mini 3
I hope DJI will add the Disable HQ and Disable Noise profile in it.
2022-6-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-29 01:46
Hello there Bussty. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information and your positive feedback for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.

Thanks Stephen I'll be able to feedback a whole lot more after the next 6 days as going on a 100% photography road trip with my Mini 3 Pro and Olympus!!  Very excited
2022-6-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-29 01:49
Details in Olympus makes Mini 3 look like a drunken duck.
Try video too, you will be amazed...about the ghosting and blur in Mini 3  
I hope DJI will add the Disable HQ and Disable Noise profile in it.

Hey Geo_Drone

Don't really do video so can't comment but will have a lot more to report in 6 days time a taking the Mini 3 Pro and Olympus away for 6 days so will have a really good feel for how the Mini 3 Pro compares. So far from what I have tested inside and out, with a little coaxing the Mini 3 Pro is doing really well so will be fascinated to see how real world results compare. Plus the Mini 3 Pro can do things the Olympus can only dream about :-)

P.S. I have the actual picture in that test on my wall and Olympus has missed a lot of detail which surprised me.
2022-6-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It does compare favourably in the examples you provide
2022-6-29
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Blériot53 Posted at 6-29 03:03
It does compare favourably in the examples you provide

Cheers Bleriot53 makes me think I'll be having big Mini 3 canvases on the wall soon
2022-6-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 6-29 03:17
Cheers Bleriot53 makes me think I'll be having big Mini 3 canvases on the wall soon

2022-6-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very surprising comparison.    Will be interested on how it does over the 6 day photo vacay.  
2022-6-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I mourn the end of OM cameras and Minolta but Minolta really is going back a bit lol.
2022-6-29
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice comparison, the Mini 3 sure does a nice job.
2022-6-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mi3 does great indeed.
2022-6-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They’re pretty close, but this is to be expected these days, smaller sensors have improved greatly. I think you will find that video also stacks up well. While some complain about sharpness we now seem to be at a stage that photographers and videographers are actually looking to reduce the false sharpness of new sensors and while I like sharp Landscapes I would much prefer the slightly softer video in the Mini 3 to the very over sharpened Autel which is a bit like watching a soap opera from cheesy street ;+)

Good job keep up the good work.
2022-6-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Thanks Hallmark. I think I have been holding that older 4/3 sensor tech in a sense of awe in comparison to drone sensors (mainly from comparison with Mini 1) so is exciting times we are living in to see how close they now are. Had the Mini 3 up today in the wild in an absolute gale and while it was getting pushed around a little in terms of trying to keep my composition accurate it wasn't going anywhere, quite impressed. Would never have put the Mini 1 up in that, wind was so strong had to bring the drone into the lee of a building to land safely! Hopefully a bit calmer tomorrow :-)  Cheers  Bussty
2022-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Bussty Posted at 6-29 02:22
Thanks Stephen I'll be able to feedback a whole lot more after the next 6 days as going on a 100% photography road trip with my Mini 3 Pro and Olympus!!  Very excited

Hi there Bussty. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply, Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2022-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules