4929 14 2022-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39662 ft
United States

Hi all,

My first post here and a new owner of a Mini 2. This is the first time I've tried flying a drone, and so far the flying part is easier than I had expected it to be. Controls seem to respond quite well and with more practice it will be even better.

However, a problem has occured in that while flying, the camera gimbal points straight down at the ground! If I hold the gimbal control wheel to the right the camera will rise up and point straight ahead. But as soon as I let go of the wheel, the gimbal slowly returns to straight down. It is almost as if the controller is stuck forcing the gimbal down.

I have calibrated the IMU, Compass, RC and Gimbal but still no joy.

Recentering the gimbal does indeed bring it up to looking straight ahead, but as soon as I exit that set up screen, the gimbal returns to straight down.

I am using an iPhone 6S and all firmware is up to date on the drone and RC.

Any thoughts? Did I get a bad unit, or am I overlooking something obvious that a newbie could miss?

Thanks!

Eddie in Mesa AZ
2022-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Eddie. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since you have done several troubleshooting steps to fix the issue and still the issue persist. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-6-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Does it happen on startup too (when on the ground)?
2022-6-29
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-29 23:19
Does it happen on startup too (when on the ground)?

Yes it does...as soon as I take off the gimbal goes straight down. When landing, right after touchdown the gimbal quickly rotates up and then back straight down.

Eddie
2022-6-30
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-29 21:40
Hello there Eddie. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since you have done several troubleshooting steps to fix the issue and still the issue persist. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

I think I may have found the problem....a flaky gimbal scroll wheel on the RC. Earlier today when powering up the app said the RC needed calibration, and while the joysticks cal'd just fine, the scroll wheel kept acting like something was pushing against my movement. When I let go of the wheel, I could see the green band slowly moving left and right from center. I never could get the green band to go all the way to the right, but it zipped hard left right away.

I then powered up again, and again the RC demanded to be calibrated...just after doing so! Once done, I rebooted and again the RC wanted a cal. This time it was happy and I was able to fly a bit.

Sometimes the gimbal would stay pointed straight ahead, but then other times it would just slowly drift to the straight down position.

A noisy amp circuit or bad encoder?

The drone itself responds really well to the joysticks and is becoming a pleasure to fly. But it seems I have a bad controller ...

Eddie
2022-6-30
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This sounds like a flaky connection at the potentiometer for that control. It could be just loose. Send it back, this is a defect.

2022-6-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Eddie Ellis Posted at 6-30 16:35
Yes it does...as soon as I take off the gimbal goes straight down. When landing, right after touchdown the gimbal quickly rotates up and then back straight down.

Eddie

I read you found the issue. (or cause).
That is a good start.
2022-6-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

do you know anyone locally with a 'fully functional' controller that would allow you to test their controller to see if your drone behaves correctly?
2022-7-1
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

Hi all,

Earlier today I returned the Mini 2 and exchanged it for another one. A quick test of the new one seems to show that the gimbal scroll wheel is working just fine. The new RC didn't squawk about calibrating anything, and in a couple of hours when it cools off I'll go fly the new drone.

Ted
2022-7-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If my mini 2 is going to be sitting powered up for any length of time and not flying I direct the out put from a fan at it.
2022-7-1
Use props
Eddie Ellis
lvl.1
United States

Eddie Ellis Posted at 7-1 14:57
Hi all,

Earlier today I returned the Mini 2 and exchanged it for another one. A quick test of the new one seems to show that the gimbal scroll wheel is working just fine. The new RC didn't squawk about calibrating anything, and in a couple of hours when it cools off I'll go fly the new drone.

The new (replacement) Mini 2 is working just fine! The camera gimbal works as it should, and the video quality is better as well.

How does one get the Flight Distance to show up in the avatar box?

Eddie
2022-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Eddie Ellis Posted at 6-30 16:44
I think I may have found the problem....a flaky gimbal scroll wheel on the RC. Earlier today when powering up the app said the RC needed calibration, and while the joysticks cal'd just fine, the scroll wheel kept acting like something was pushing against my movement. When I let go of the wheel, I could see the green band slowly moving left and right from center. I never could get the green band to go all the way to the right, but it zipped hard left right away.

I then powered up again, and again the RC demanded to be calibrated...just after doing so! Once done, I rebooted and again the RC wanted a cal. This time it was happy and I was able to fly a bit.

Hi there Eddie. Thank you for the reply and for this update that you have given. Since you have done several troubleshooting steps to fix the issue and still the issue persist. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-7-3
Use props
Innerspace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287352 ft
United States

Eddie Ellis Posted at 7-2 19:34
The new (replacement) Mini 2 is working just fine! The camera gimbal works as it should, and the video quality is better as well.

How does one get the Flight Distance to show up in the avatar box?

im not certain on this but i think it has something to do with uploading your flight data in the fly app.
2022-7-6
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I would bet you accidentally pressed on the wheel to hard when putting your mobile in the cradle, I did this a while back and messed up the wheel a little, replaced the controller and been more careful since.
2022-7-6
Use props
djiuser_Cpf94BfPPwof
New

South Korea

i fixed the same problem by re installing the fly app
4-8 16:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules