Ordinary ND Filters Vs. Polarized
4365 6 2022-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlashNY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391709 ft
Poland

I know Polarized filters are good for high glare conditions...but is there reason why they couldn't be used in all conditions where you would use nd filters?

I ask as I am looking to buy some nd filters for my mini 3 pro. Seeing if there is a downside to just buying one polarized set (e.g. Freewell bright day).

2022-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there FlashNY. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The ND/PL filters includes a Polarizer in the same filter, while the ND is just that a neutral density filter only. In addition, ND filters reduce the amount of light coming into the sensor, giving you more control of the camera's aperture, exposure time, and sensor sensitivity settings. Thank you.
2022-7-1
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

From my experience, there are benefits to both.

ND/PL filters are great for intensifying bright blue skies and cutting glare from the water.

Then straight ND filters will help cut the light intensity and allow you to use slower shutters and work within the cinematic 180 rule; double your shutter over your frame rate to get cinematic motion blur.

There is a third option, which is VND Filters. These are a blend of ND levels into one filter.

The only visual negative I have with ND/Pls is that at times you get uneven banding of the sky when flying at a certain direction.

2022-7-1
Use props
Steven So
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10010 ft
Hong Kong

As PL filters will make the color/light of the sky uneven, you must take down PL filter if you want to take pano photo
2022-7-1
Use props
tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

Steven So Posted at 7-1 22:15
As PL filters will make the color/light of the sky uneven, you must take down PL filter if you want to take pano photo

Good point.
Thanks
2022-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PL filters can give weird color changes if you move the camera around while filming or taking pano's etc.
So they are best for shots where you don't change the direction that the sun is hitting the filter too much during filming or photographing.
2022-7-6
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Have a look here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=267327
2022-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now