Mini 3 Pro compass/heading drift
4845 26 2022-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jefish
lvl.3
United States

I find that when sitting in one spot in the sky, the M3P will very slowly rotate to the left (CCW). I have to keep very slight pressure on the yaw stick to keep the subject centered. I've only tried "parking" like this at n hundred feet capturing large vistas, not down low with trees and other close-in objects. Need to try that, see if the sensors are maybe used to augment the compass? Dunno.

• Happens in all three flight modes.
  • Happened in the original shipped firmware, and the 2 or 3 that have come since.
  • I've done a compass and a IMU calibration, no change.

Anyone else? What else can I try?

2022-7-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone moving around like that will usually be down to IMU. It’s the job of IMU to maintain the aircraft in place. It’s not a compass problem and if it was you would get a warning. Weak GPS or sensors could also be the issue. I’m not sure if you can calibrate downwards sensors on Mini 3 in assistant it might help if you can. Also calibrating IMU “must” be done on a level surface and you should really use a spirit level to insure its correct.
2022-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jefish. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know if you are receiving any error message on the DJI Fly application when this is happening and may we also please know before having this issue was there a hard landing or a crash happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you.
2022-7-1
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-1 21:56
Hello there jefish. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know if you are receiving any error message on the DJI Fly application when this is happening and may we also please know before having this issue was there a hard landing or a crash happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro for us to be able to isolate the issue? Thank you.

No errors, no hard landings or crashes. It has done this since the day I unboxed it a week ago.

Again, it's a very slow rotation. If you watch the screen for only a few seconds, you'll never notice. But park the drone in one spot and record for 5 minutes, you'll definitely notice that it doesn't end up pointing the same direction as when it started.
2022-7-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jefish Posted at 7-1 22:04
No errors, no hard landings or crashes. It has done this since the day I unboxed it a week ago.

Again, it's a very slow rotation. If you watch the screen for only a few seconds, you'll never notice. But park the drone in one spot and record for 5 minutes, you'll definitely notice that it doesn't end up pointing the same direction as when it started.

Are you sure it's the drone that's rotating, and not the gimbal that's drifting slightly?
I get that sometimes with my Mavic 2 Zoom.  I've not had the Mini3 Pro long enough yet to test
that out. Bad weather today is keeping me grounded.
2022-7-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

My first thought was a stick calibration should fix this issue.
If the yaw stick gives little input while in mid position than drone will yaw.
Do you have a 5 minute flightlog on this issue?If you like upload > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

Low GPS reception gives horizontal instability, but the heading drone does not change.To keep the heading compass, gyro and acc meters for this.
Same for vision, not for keeping the heading correct.

cheers
JJB

2022-7-1
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Recalibrated the compass and IMU again, in a better location. No change. Today's flight started as a CW rotation, then kinda "corrected" itself when pointing downward, but then became a CCW rotation.

See here for an example of just one flight.

I'd immediately want to do a stick calibration in such cases, but that doesn't seem to be an option on the DJI RC controller. I'd upload a flight log, but not sure how to fetch it (this is my first DJI product). Tips?
2022-7-2
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Heeyyyyyyy, I have an idea: I'm going to switch from Mode 3 back to Mode 2. If the movement changes from a yaw to a lateral drift, I know it's an issue with my right stick.
2022-7-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jefish Posted at 7-2 19:28
Recalibrated the compass and IMU again, in a better location. No change. Today's flight started as a CW rotation, then kinda "corrected" itself when pointing downward, but then became a CCW rotation.

See here for an example of just one flight.

I'd upload a flight log, but not sure how to fetch it
Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2022-7-2
Use props
djiuser_TIfSVEvmgUSK
New
Flight distance : 447415 ft
Canada

jefish Posted at 2022-7-2 19:32
Heeyyyyyyy, I have an idea: I'm going to switch from Mode 3 back to Mode 2. If the movement changes from a yaw to a lateral drift, I know it's an issue with my right stick.

Hey you figure anything out.. im having the same problem. Ill to a time-lapse focus on one spot,look away and its not on that area anymore .. starts drifting. Like a ps5 controller stick drift im guessing its the controller
2023-1-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_TIfSVEvmgUSK Posted at 1-7 15:45
Hey you figure anything out.. im having the same problem. Ill to a time-lapse focus on one spot,look away and its not on that area anymore .. starts drifting. Like a ps5 controller stick drift im guessing its the controller

You could try RC calibration found under Control/Remote Controller
2023-1-7
Use props
Romo79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298323 ft
Slovakia

Hello guys, any update? I have same problem. Making night photo unusable
2023-3-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Romo79 Posted at 3-3 15:34
Hello guys, any update? I have same problem. Making night photo unusable

Have you tried a RC stick calibration?
2023-3-3
Use props
Romo79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298323 ft
Slovakia

Bashy Posted at 3-3 18:22
Have you tried a RC stick calibration?

Yep, it's still the same.
2023-3-17
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Romo79 Posted at 3-17 10:22
Yep, it's still the same.

What about an IMU calibration, if its still the same then try refreshing the FW and it its still the same, then you need to contact DJI support
2023-3-17
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find that I’m constantly calibrating the Dji RC before I do any hyperlapses that are not using waypoint.  If the mini 3 is up there doing free mode or any mode that allows control input then there’s a chance a minor lack of calibration can send it in a slow yaw that shows up 30 minutes later in the final video.  Also I noticed when trying to use spotlight mode in hyperlapse it bounces around a lot keeping that crosshairs inside the green spotlight box which could be a huge range for it to be limited to.  For this I really wish they made it easier to switch to a map marker instead of the visual box.   

Calibration of the controllers is what I suspect the most though… that and the wide area of error in visual point selection.
2023-3-18
Use props
Taulant
lvl.1
Flight distance : 546621 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Same issue here! Tried calibrating everything, still same. Always need to correct the drone, it’s like a very old car where you always need to correct the steering to keep a straight line.

I’ve had 2xMA2, Mini2 and now Avata and Mini3Pro. The Mini3Pro is the only drone with this attitude.
2023-3-18
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Can you physically see the drone rotating or is it just on screen?
It could be the gimbal settling.
2023-3-18
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

gnirtS Posted at 3-18 17:56
Can you physically see the drone rotating or is it just on screen?

Left long enough, the image will spin further than the gimbal is capable of. The drone itself is rotating.
2023-3-18
Use props
Taulant
lvl.1
Flight distance : 546621 ft
  • >>>
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 3-18 17:56
Can you physically see the drone rotating or is it just on screen?

The drone is rotating.
2023-3-19
Use props
chrisvomradio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3241519 ft
Germany

I am facing the same issue. Night photos with long exposures are not usable this way..
2023-3-19
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

An i thought it was wind on the height i'm flying on every timelapse shows that drift - no errors displayed.
2023-3-21
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys, my mini 3 pro is doing the same thing as well!  No crashes at all, nothing odd has happened.  I almost wonder if a motor is slowing or going bad and it can't compensate so you get some drift.

I've tried calibrating the controls, imu, compass and gimbal, always the same.

Generally the gimbal is ok for a bit, then while rotating or flying around I notice the screen no longer has a level horizon, maybe 1-5 degree tilt.  Then while flying back I'll notice CW drift, have to keep correcting course to get back.  Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think a few times I've turned to fly back, pointed the center of the screen at my location but that doesn't line up with the line/direction/arrow on the map.  So I ended up flying back using the map and aligning the arrow with the line pointing back to my location but eventually had to make corrections to fly back to where I was sitting.

Something doesn't seem right
2023-3-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 3-21 17:12
Hey guys, my mini 3 pro is doing the same thing as well!  No crashes at all, nothing odd has happened.  I almost wonder if a motor is slowing or going bad and it can't compensate so you get some drift.

I've tried calibrating the controls, imu, compass and gimbal, always the same.

Interesting, i wonder what would happen if you used RTH?
Have you tried calibrating the RC?
2023-3-21
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

Bashy Posted at 3-21 19:35
Interesting, i wonder what would happen if you used RTH?
Have you tried calibrating the RC?

Yes, I tried all of the calibrations
2023-3-22
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

zzjollygreenzz Posted at 3-22 12:41
Yes, I tried all of the calibrations

Please upload the flightlog of the flight in particular,

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/
2023-3-22
Use props
Lost Somewhere
lvl.3
Canada

jefish Posted at 2022-7-1 22:04

Again, it's a very slow rotation. If you watch the screen for only a few seconds, you'll never notice. But park the drone in one spot and record for 5 minutes, you'll definitely notice that it doesn't end up pointing the same direction as when it started.

Mine does the same thing. Hope DJI fixes it.
2023-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules