Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will DJI acknowledge range issues with the Mini 3 Pro?
1234Next >
14535 135 2022-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

HamDesigner Posted at 7-13 09:23
TS, your "drone" (sUAS) and car analogy is a bit off target and non-sequitur.  Indeed, one can complain that their POS electric vehicle is a terrible riding POS which can only be driven for 150 miles before they have to let it charge for several hours, deal with ridiculous electronic gremlins, and have to spend tens of thousands of dollars every 5-7 years as compared to the other vehicles they have had in their lifetime which could be refilled in about 5 minutes, be maintained for relatively much less money, last a few hundred-thousand miles and several years longer, and give a nice, smooth-riding trip half-way across the country.  Unless they compare it directly with one or more others of the same model POS electric vehicle, they'll never know if they simply fell for the marketing BS or actually do have a much larger lemon in a barrel of smaller ones.
At the end of the day though, I agree... it's just an expensive, relatively useless (in the grand scheme of life) toy.  Just like the Mini 3 Pro.
I'm not sure I understand about the interference comment, as interference actually is a valid thing - especially in those two extremely crowded bands. Want me to show you some spectrum analyzer plots in various areas from urban to rural?

interference the way it is often described is simply not a thing  = true statement
interference is simply not a thing = false statement
2022-7-13
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 196811 ft
Latvia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-13 04:58
Thank you for your additional information and your feedback. Please keep us updated. I know it is not the right timing but the scenery in your video is breathtaking.

Thank you Susan. I appreciate the compliment.

And yes, losing signal at 500, 600 meters was a bummer because the place was fantastic, and pretty sure I could have made more breathtaking images if there wouldn’t be the range issue.

The drone must be arriving tomorrow or after tomorrow. I’ll see if I can fly this weekend to test things out, and will reply here how things went.
2022-7-13
Use props
BrettHooker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161736 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6 Posted at 7-5 23:06
Here, another video of what a functional Mini 3 Pro can do. 14 KILOMETERS, and with some room to spare. It still could go further.

https://youtu.be/ChAaXlJ0bmI

Wow.  That would have been much better on my recent trip.  Out in the Australia Outback, clear range for as far as you could see, and Mini 3 pro would return-to-home at 600m to 700m.  Missed opportunity for me as I only get out there a once or twice a year.  14 KM would be EPIC...
2022-7-14
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Latvia

BrettHooker Posted at 7-14 00:50
Wow.  That would have been much better on my recent trip.  Out in the Australia Outback, clear range for as far as you could see, and Mini 3 pro would return-to-home at 600m to 700m.  Missed opportunity for me as I only get out there a once or twice a year.  14 KM would be EPIC...

Felt the same on my trip to Norway. I received the drone, and went on the trip. Got there and had about this same range you got there. Bars starting to drop at 200, 300meters, and complete disconnection at 500, 600, 700 meters.
Big bummer
2022-7-14
Use props
Max_Px
lvl.3
Italy

Hi there,

here is a comparison of Mini3 and Mini SE....
All is done in CE mode but the range is the same....

What about the "magic" of Ocusync3?
2022-7-14
Use props
DPGNAS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 602005 ft
Canada

there is a new 1.6.9 update on the RC controller
turned it on and this time something different happened. Before I would get a range of only 200 m ish now it's lost at 600 m ish so its a bit better but still not good.
Also this happened:
I turn on the drone, went quickly on the transmission tab, and for a split second it was in FCC and there was option auto/ manual for me to choose 2.4 and 5 but it disappeared in front of my eyes.
Its so strange that this issue fixed some people M3P
2022-7-18
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6 Posted at 7-14 00:54
Felt the same on my trip to Norway. I received the drone, and went on the trip. Got there and had about this same range you got there. Bars starting to drop at 200, 300meters, and complete disconnection at 500, 600, 700 meters.
Big bummer

Anyone seen my stick for beating dead horses?

I've read many, many threads and complaints about poor range, and they all have one thing in common: they all die in the 300-700m range.

It is nearly certain this is a hardware fault with the chipset. Anyone who has experienced bad RF hardware will know this is exactly the kind of thing that happens.

Heck - just look at WiFi for computers. There are some access points that are just total junk and hardly work in the same room, while there are some access points that are allegedly working to the same certified specifications that you can still use 2 blocks away.

There is something clearly very wrong when apparently independent people are reporting the same issues, and even the same range at which failure occurs, not just at opposite ends of the same country, but opposite ends of the planet.

There is nothing magical about 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz. All it means is in most countries these are free-to-use, unlicenced frequencies. Why 2.4 GHz nearly universally? Every microwave oven on the planet operates at that frequency, and they trash it every time one is used.

If you're in the countryside miles away from anything (better: in a closed valley) and still lose connection at very short range, then there is absolutely a problem that needs to be investigated seriously.

As for recalls, whether they are legally required or not, it is just good customer service to replace the boards for free for those affected.

2022-7-18
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I just watched the video posted by Max_Px and something very intriguing stands out: At 500m flying away under pilot control, both aircraft suffer sudden and total signal loss, including video feed, but when they fly back through the exact same area? No interruption to video or control.

Is there some BS in the software meaning if the aircraft is flown away it is triggering a bug that kills the radio and triggers RTH?

Would be worth trying to fly in different directions and seeing if the same thing occurs flying the cardinal points N/E/S/W as it is extremely unlikely all 4 directions would be affected the same by "interference".
2022-7-18
Use props
Volsi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116089 ft
Japan

djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6 Posted at 7-13 13:24
Thank you Susan. I appreciate the compliment.

And yes, losing signal at 500, 600 meters was a bummer because the place was fantastic, and pretty sure I could have made more breathtaking images if there wouldn’t be the range issue.

Hello, Did you try with your new Mini 3 pro? still same problem for the range?

Thank you for your feedback
2022-7-18
Use props
DPGNAS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 602005 ft
Canada

Volsi Posted at 7-18 16:17
Hello, Did you try with your new Mini 3 pro? still same problem for the range?

Thank you for your feedback

I don't know there has been no response from anyone I think their issue is fixed ?
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_9kp9cJyb3iV5
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Guys, I can't find any new comments not only in this thread about the range issue. Does it mean it is fixed?
I am about to order M3P but the range issue is pushing me back.
2022-8-6
Use props
zzjollygreenzz
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_9kp9cJyb3iV5 Posted at 8-6 14:53
Guys, I can't find any new comments not only in this thread about the range issue. Does it mean it is fixed?
Definitely not completely fixed or resolved.  See my thread

https://forum.dji.com/thread-271041-1-1.html

I get terrible range because the unit mostly comes up in a restricted transmission mode where I want to fly for no apparent reason.  I'm returning my drone asap, was just trying to do some testing first to help resolve the issues.

I never have any issues with my Mini 2 in these areas
2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Issue not fixed, I am testing my second replacement with the same exactly issue, now DJI is sending a RCN 1 controller to test as well. Here is my video recorded yesterday about the issue where the frequency is locked on CE mode. I am in the US, suppose to be FCC mode. This issue is limiting my fly to 200/300 matters and activating FTH automatically.

2022-8-6
Use props
MHM
lvl.4

United States

I am not sure what's going on with those having range issues.  I have flown well over 12,000.00 Feet before turning around.  I did not feel comfortable taking it out that far and will probably never do it again.  I just needed peace of mind knowing that I can fly with in my comfort zone with no disconnects.  I now believe I have the best combo with my Air 2s, RC Pro Controller and now the mini 3 Pro (No Controller) which I fly with the RC-N1controller that came with the Air 2S.  I am now waiting for DJI to make the RC Pro Controller compatible with the Mini 3 Pro.  I am very satisfied with this little drone.
2022-8-6
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

MHM Posted at 8-6 15:58
I am not sure what's going on with those having range issues.  I have flown well over 12,000.00 Feet before turning around.  I did not feel comfortable taking it out that far and will probably never do it again.  I just needed peace of mind knowing that I can fly with in my comfort zone with no disconnects.  I now believe I have the best combo with my Air 2s, RC Pro Controller and now the mini 3 Pro (No Controller) which I fly with the RC-N1controller that came with the Air 2S.  I am now waiting for DJI to make the RC Pro Controller compatible with the Mini 3 Pro.  I am very satisfied with this little drone.

I still believe the issue relies on the RC controller. I am here seated patiently waiting for USP to deliver this RCN 1.
2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Latvia

Guys, I can't find any new comments not only in this thread about the range issue. Does it mean it is fixed?

I had my drone replaced, it did got a little better, but far from what others are getting. So yeah, I don’t know if new units are better now or not.
2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Latvia

fly.overflying Posted at 8-6 16:05
I still believe the issue relies on the RC controller. I am here seated patiently waiting for USP to deliver this RCN 1.

Let us know the differences
2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Latvia

fly.overflying Posted at 8-6 15:56
Issue not fixed, I am testing my second replacement with the same exactly issue, now DJI is sending a RCN 1 controller to test as well. Here is my video recorded yesterday about the issue where the frequency is locked on CE mode. I am in the US, suppose to be FCC mode. This issue is limiting my fly to 200/300 matters and activating FTH automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcBkLge9Vc

Crazy they’re still having issues. But you’re in US, I’m in Europe. I’m pretty sure the range should be better regardless being in Europe or not. At first I was getting disconnection at around 6 to 700 meters, after they replaced my drone I’m getting double that, but still very far from folks flying over 10Km with it!
2022-8-6
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

fly.overflying Posted at 8-6 16:05
I still believe the issue relies on the RC controller. I am here seated patiently waiting for USP to deliver this RCN 1.

I returned both my M3P and RC for repair due to range issues and they returned my same drone but new RC. Generally speaking I get better range but have noticed that sometimes the signal drops significantly after 800 feet or so. I haven't been in a area yet where I would want to try flying over 2500 feet but I have gotten that far with the new RC with little or no signal loss. Definitely better than before. I'll get the chance tomorrow to try flying over a mile in the bottom lands next to the Mississippi river with no interference.
2022-8-6
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 8-6 16:19
I returned both my M3P and RC for repair due to range issues and they returned my same drone but new RC. Generally speaking I get better range but have noticed that sometimes the signal drops significantly after 800 feet or so. I haven't been in a area yet where I would want to try flying over 2500 feet but I have gotten that far with the new RC with little or no signal loss. Definitely better than before. I'll get the chance tomorrow to try flying over a mile in the bottom lands next to the Mississippi river with no interference.

Of course I'll have to bring my Mavic 3 along with a new RC Pro I picked up a couple weeks ago from a gentleman that had a new in box Air 2 S/RC Pro combo with 4 batteries and a hard case. He purchased this a while back when DJI was offering the Air 2S with the RC Pro because they had run out of the smart controller. Lucky him and now lucky me. I picked everything up for $1450 and now I'm trying to sell my other Air 2S. I love this Hobby
2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_9kp9cJyb3iV5
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Thanks for your replies. The real issue here is that DJI are pretending there is no a massive issue. Just be honest make a statement and take the necessary actions to resolve the issue thus keep the brand trust. You cannot charge 1000€ for a little drone and to pretend everything is fine when it is not obviously.
2022-8-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many people have returned the drone and RC and have had a new board or indeednew drone and RC and they are still getting the issue with range
2022-8-6
Use props
PolAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 642073 ft
Australia

I have had my Mini 3 for  a week and a bit, here in Australia. Love it, my first 'decent quality' drone.

I have spent a bit of time browsing various Mini 3  forums, facebook groups, etc. There seem to be a lot of people complaining about the range.  I understand the FCC/CE issues that some people have. I assume that I am in what people call FCC mode, and I have "auto" selected.

I have had no trouble getting over 2kms in a suburban environment. Did a flight distance of 2,181 metres (7,155 feet) today and still had 2 out 5 signal bars. Only turned back, as the wife was calling me for drinks :-)

I am in a typical suburban area, and  using the  RC controller in the backyard. My neighbour has large two storey height metal shed and house in my signal path, which I am sure cuts the signal down.

Depending upon weather, I am hoping to take it out to a nearby lake later this week to check the range when I have a clear line of sight over water.  I assume it would be a lot further than the 2kms I get in the suburbs.

I am running the latest firmware.  I wonder if there have been hardware changes made during the production run and more recently produced Mini 3s might have improved hardware??  Just a thought.

2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Latvia

PolAir Posted at 8-6 23:18
I have had my Mini 3 for  a week and a bit, here in Australia. Love it, my first 'decent quality' drone.

I have spent a bit of time browsing various Mini 3  forums, facebook groups, etc. There seem to be a lot of people complaining about the range.  I understand the FCC/CE issues that some people have. I assume that I am in what people call FCC mode, and I have "auto" selected.

I don't know if they changed some hardware from when the drone released, but I had mine replaced and still can't get close to the range you got in a rural area!

Pretty disappointing.
2022-8-7
Use props
PolAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 642073 ft
Australia

djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6 Posted at 8-7 16:26
I don't know if they changed some hardware from when the drone released, but I had mine replaced and still can't get close to the range you got in a rural area!

Pretty disappointing.

There are weirdly conflicting reports regarding range.

My unit has a manufacture date of 2022/06. It would be interesting to see if it is only units in a certain date range that are having problems.
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6
lvl.2
Latvia

PolAir Posted at 8-7 20:18
There are weirdly conflicting reports regarding range.

My unit has a manufacture date of 2022/06. It would be interesting to see if it is only units in a certain date range that are having problems.

Where can I check the manufacture date?
2022-8-8
Use props
Reytag
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276 ft
Germany

djiuser_zH4PYuHgtlW6 Posted at 8-8 00:04
Where can I check the manufacture date?

On the outside of the box, the sticker with the serial number, bottom right, it's in a Y/M format.
2022-8-8
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1190512 ft
United Kingdom

This IS NT NORMAL!!

79% to 17% in only 2 metres ikn huge open country.

Drone gone!

Matt
2022-12-2
Use props
HScholz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1389495 ft
Germany

I am pretty sure it´s both a hardware and a softwar issue. I´ve got my Mini3P right after launch. It was a "bad" model with ragne issues after 200m. Im my case both motherboards (drone and controller) were replaced. After that I was better but still not acceptabel. Then there was ahuge firmware update and the range and also the singnal strength clearly improved. I am happy with it now. So my guess: If you have a M3P with a bad hardware, the firmware update does not help. You need both, replace hardware and fw update....
2022-12-3
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Staffydog33 Posted at 12-2 18:21
This IS NT NORMAL!!
[view_image]

Of course, it went from 79 to 17 because your altitude went from 67 to 0. At least that's what your screenshot shows. Every drone has a poor signal at ground level when almost 1km away.
2022-12-3
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well, I have no care refresh and  I'm obviously in the right as a new one is sitting on my kitchen table...lol

Matt
2022-12-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Staffydog33 Posted at 12-7 01:58
Well, I have no care refresh and  I'm obviously in the right as a new one is sitting on my kitchen table...lol

Matt

Would love to see the DJI invoice?
2022-12-7
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
United Kingdom

my badgeOK, guys, explain this....BRAND NERW DJI Mini 3 pro, BRAND NEW EVERYTHING.....

Home
Distance        =  209.6ft

Battery 72%

GPS = 27 satellites

THEN:

Downlink Lost. Disconnected. LUCKILY, this time drone came back.

So, what was I doing this time that was from, only 200ft from remote?????

Are you trying to tell me this is normal?

On my Mini 2 I used to go km, not feet, but even then I didnt lose signal?

Ok, since nobody Is willing to admit there is something, somewhere, somehow wrong with the Mini 3, then It's obviously me, so genuinely now, what am I doing wrong?

I mean, ID course exam on a whim and passed only getting 2 questions wrong, with zero studying, which is good for a brainless idiot like me.

crash.JPG
crash.JPG
Capture.JPG
2022-12-29
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
United Kingdom

How was I able to go around my local golf course with my mini 2, max distance of 2,223 ft

but  - BAM, connection lost at 210ft on a brand new mini 3??

wtf?

Matt
2022-12-29
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
Ireland

Damn. I just bought my DJI Mini 3 Pro and I am going to test it extensively because, if there are any issues, I am returning it and switching to Mavic 3.
2022-12-30
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 12-30 00:00
Damn. I just bought my DJI Mini 3 Pro and I am going to test it extensively because, if there are any issues, I am returning it and switching to Mavic 3.

That's a big change up there...
2022-12-30
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Here, as you can see my old MINI 2 made the flight like a boss!!!

3,300ft FURTHER than my current or any of my Mini 3 drones!

So, my advice, If you own a Mini 2 - KEEP IT!

Matt
2022-12-30
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just do a youtube search and you will see, it's not Just me, but STACKS of people on there are having same Issue, but, IMHO, as long as DJI got your £££££ and they can keep getting away with burying their heads In the sand and get away with it, they will.

My Opinion, Only upgrade from DJI Mini 2 and go Jump straight to Air 2s MINIMUM.

Matt
2022-12-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Staffydog33 Posted at 12-30 11:44
Here, as you can see my old MINI 2 made the flight like a boss!!!

3,300ft FURTHER than my current or any of my Mini 3 drones!

There is nothing wrong with the range, or there wasn't, my latest test was only 3.3km i think
but here is my Mini 3 Pro in CE  NOTE the height too, a Gnats pube off 5.5km.

Images are messed up, ignore the Phantom 4 Pro image,  the other image is my Mini 2 in CE, the same place and this was its max i ever got from it.

The alignment between RC and AC has to be 100% spot on, there is no room for any play, its also more susceptible to interference. Also, the slower you go the better the connection when near the max, once it tilts, the signal degrades.

Mini 2 max.png
Screenshot 2022-12-31 021249.png
2022-12-30
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Low signal - 60%

!=8<>: M:@0=0 2022-12-31 112633.png
2022-12-30
Use props