What a huge place.
2022-7-4
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69432 ft
Ireland

It's the Catholic Seminary college.
They do not allow the flying of drones on their land but I may fly over it soon enough as they don't own the airspace.
2022-7-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CuAnnan Posted at 7-4 13:27
It's the Catholic Seminary college.
They do not allow the flying of drones on their land but I may fly over it soon enough as they don't own the airspace.

Mind how you go
2022-7-4
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice old architecture - even if it's NEOgothic I suspect.
2022-7-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 7-4 21:23
Nice old architecture - even if it's NEOgothic I suspect.

Older than you might think, Depp:

How old is Maynooth?
Patrick's College at Maynooth is the largest Roman Catholic seminary in the British Isles; it was established in 1795 on the site of a college founded by the earl of Kildare in the 16th century and is now part of the National University of Ireland.

Thinking FPV?  
2022-7-4
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Ireland

Blériot53 Posted at 7-4 22:20

How old is Maynooth?

It's the tail end of the 18th century. But that's not very old as far as Maynooth goes as a settlement.
Maynooth Castle was the very early 13th Century Norman Castle home of the Fitzgerald family. And they would certainly not have called it Maigh Nuadha. There's archaeological evidence of settlement as far back as the iron age. So the area has been settled fror somewhere between 2500 and 3200 years.

Also SPCM is not part of the National University of Ireland. Maynooth University ends at the library. The bridge over the Lyreen River demarcates the end of one college and the beginning of the other. While SPCM rents some offices and rooms to the university, the two colleges have completely separate faculties, administrative departments and rules.

They don't allow flying on their property but I'll get some good shots of the place landing and taking off from outside. That photo was taken just shy of 900m away (I am consistently amazed by how good the quality of zoomed photos is). I have a shot of it from the far end of Carton too, but I'm waiting until I get halfway decent at the technical parts of photography to post any.

2022-7-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shot    
2022-7-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CuAnnan Posted at 7-4 23:41
It's the tail end of the 18th century. But that's not very old as far as Maynooth goes as a settlement.
Maynooth Castle was the very early 13th Century Norman Castle home of the Fitzgerald family. And they would certainly not have called it Maigh Nuadha. There's archaeological evidence of settlement as far back as the iron age. So the area has been settled fror somewhere between 2500 and 3200 years.

Great images.  Yes I love the zoom on the Mavic2Z - it's given me some nice shots I otherwise could not have obtained.
Thanks for the background info.
2022-7-4
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Ireland

Blériot53 Posted at 7-4 23:47
Great images.  Yes I love the zoom on the Mavic2Z - it's given me some nice shots I otherwise could not have obtained.
Thanks for the background info.

I have recently developped an interest in aerial archaeophotography (mostly as an excuse to get me to take daily walks or cycles with the drone) and it has resulted in me learning more than just drone stuff.

Thanks for not taking it as condescension. Autistic people often tend to be taken that way, especially in a text only medium.
2022-7-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CuAnnan Posted at 7-4 23:49
I have recently developped an interest in aerial archaeophotography (mostly as an excuse to get me to take daily walks or cycles with the drone) and it has resulted in me learning more than just drone stuff.

Thanks for not taking it as condescension. Autistic people often tend to be taken that way, especially in a text only medium.

Nothing to thank me for - I didn't see anything wrong with your earlier reply, and certainly nothing to take offence at.  So no worries
2022-7-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great shot.    Different architectural design than most colleges.
2022-7-5
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 7-4 22:20

How old is Maynooth?

Always depends on what you compare it to. "Real" gothic secular buildings are scarce even in the UK.

I'm always thinking fpv but I prefer nature or ruins - don't feel comfortable flying around "lived-in" buildings.
2022-7-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 7-5 08:21
Always depends on what you compare it to. "Real" gothic secular buildings are scarce even in the UK.

I'm always thinking fpv but I prefer nature or ruins - don't feel comfortable flying around "lived-in" buildings.

I get that
2022-7-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CuAnnan. Good day and thank you for posting this cool overhead photo that you have captured. Great work and have a nice day. .
2022-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice shot!
2022-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now