DJI RC - Aerial / Satellite resolution very poor and old in F..
123Next >
8451 82 2022-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

To be hostest, I´m really not happy with the Aerial or Satellite Map which you can use in Fly Mode.

DJI RC Controller use two kind of maps and picture sources
  • FlySpots
    Here the Quality is excellent, detail resolution as well as timeliness.
    Looks like, Google Map is used.

• FlyApp
    Here the quality is very bad. In some bigger Citys like Hamburg, it might be OK.
    But in the border of Hamburg, the resoltion dropes down dramaticaly, complete useless for flights!
    Also the picture are really outdated, in the region below, at least 15 Years(!)
    Even Highways you can´t identified in the mentioned area.
    Looks like pictures are from Maptiler

North region of Hamburg, Germany

FlySpot on RC

FlyApp on RC

Region arround Frankfurt, Germany

*He is in contact with DJI Support

2022-7-5
Use props
djiuser_WNMKvutofePI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133110 ft
Canada

I have the exact same terrible satellite resolution on my RC controller when trying to view flight data in Satellite mode.
2022-7-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there RoZis. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. I will forward this matter to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you.
2022-7-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a quick thought, it is connected via a hotspot and the area needed has been cached, yes? i.e. you've looked up the area whilst the RC is connected to the internet?
2022-7-6
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Sure.
With DJI RC you get different aerial Images from Maptiler / OSM. Much less details, much more out dated.
In DJI RC the aerial map source is the issue, nothing to do with WiFi or cached data.

If you use RC-N1 plus Smartphones, you get maps and Satellit pictures from Apple map or Google Maps.

You can compare by yourself. Try to open
https://www.maptiler.com/maps/#hybrid//vector/16.23/10.143049/53.797164
and than do the same with other source
2022-7-6
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Several days I used both controllers - RC and RC-N1 with Samsung phone in the same area.
The difference in quality is amazing and regarding RC, very annoying.
2022-7-16
Use props
djiuser_WNMKvutofePI
lvl.3
Canada

RoZis Posted at 7-16 06:02
[view_image]

Several days I used both controllers - RC and RC-N1 with Samsung phone in the same area.

You have hit the nail on the head.  The map resolution on the RC is not just very poor; but it is absolutely pathetic.  
I have the exact same issue here in Canada.  It is extremely annoying.
I am glad that all my flights are viewable in the flight data center on my iphone with much clearer satellite map data.
2022-7-18
Use props
T-Zero
lvl.2

Brazil

Same issue in Brazil
2022-7-20
Use props
Winnipeg Boy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246178 ft
Canada

I have the same issue in Winnipeg with the RC of my Mini 3 Pro.

Very low resolution in satellite maps in both flight mode and when trying to cache.

Excellent satellite resolution when using "Fly spots"

DJI told me to reinstall the firmware using DJI Assistant, which I did, no difference.

Maybe defective hardware?  The camera picture quality does not seem to be as good as my Mini 2, as well.
2022-7-25
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Winnipeg Boy Posted at 7-25 11:12
I have the same issue in Winnipeg with the RC of my Mini 3 Pro.

Very low resolution in satellite maps in both flight mode and when trying to cache.

Unbelievable, what does DJI in this case for an inappropriate support.
It is a fact that the Maptiler map base does not offer a usable resolution in some regions. This is a map problem, not a hardware or connectivity problem.

To rule out anything else, check your region here at Maptiler. You can compare by yourself. Try to open https://www.maptiler.com/maps/#h ... .35/-97.1528/49.854Is the resolution better here?
If so, the RC is not loading the maps. Is the resolution identical? Then see my first paragraph ;)

Winnipeg

Winnipeg
2022-7-26
Use props
Winnipeg Boy
lvl.1
Canada

I complained to DJI, and, based on the fact that my Mini 2 gets great satellite maps, they have asked me to send the RC to them for repair!

I suspect a long wait. I have told DJI Shop Canada of the issue and am waiting to see if they will send me a replacement so I am not without use of the Mini 3.

2022-7-28
Use props
Winnipeg Boy
lvl.1
Canada

RoZis Posted at 7-26 00:48
Unbelievable, what does DJI in this case for an inappropriate support.
It is a fact that the Maptiler map base does not offer a usable resolution in some regions. This is a map problem, not a hardware or connectivity problem.

DJI says its a RC problem:

I complained to DJI, and, based on the fact that my Mini 2 gets great satellite maps, they have asked me to send the RC to them for repair!

I suspect a long wait. I have told DJI Shop Canada of the issue and am waiting to see if they will send me a replacement so I am not without use of the Mini 3.
2022-7-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

It's not the controller. It IS the resolution of the satellite picture used by the map provider. DJI SHOULD use Google maps instead of MapBox or whatever they now use. Google updates their database much more often than others.
2022-7-28
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Winnipeg Boy Posted at 7-28 08:22

Sorry, you did not check Maptiler Link which I provide to you and your area and you did not understand the real issue I guess.
Map Source MAPTILER, not RC issue, not Wifi Issue.....just the map they used currently.

@mobilehomer
Thanks bro ;)
2022-7-28
Use props
djiuser_bheQKVGhabXe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13379 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly the same for me. FlySpots fine, fly app satellite image is basically unusable it's that bad. RC controller.
2022-8-2
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

OK, by a coincidence I now know what happened, or in other words, DJI reduced the map details on purpose
DJI switched from MAPBOX to MAPTILER

The coincidence was a RC hardware defect. The sound was suddenly gone, so was replaced under warranty and I got a unit with OLD FIRMWARE.
Old firmware: V01.01.0000

The first update what was offered was V01.01.100 and was then updated up to V01.01.300

Complete aerial view over 53.79202591598447, 10.133737971097279
Zoom down to local supermarket on highway 53.79695362277892, 10.142431516427806

BEFORE the update, I had a very well detailed map view from MAPBOX, excellent I thought.
LOOK HOW GOOD ARE THE STREET DETAILS :-)

And than the happiness changed....by firmware...
to compare, same pictures

Complete aerial view over 53.79202591598447, 10.133737971097279
Zoom down to local supermarket on highway 53.79695362277892, 10.142431516427806

Then I did the FW updates and already I got a completely different resolution, 100 times less detailed, unusable.
In the version V01.01.000 was still a MAPBOX logo displayed in the bottom right, now in the latest firmware there is nothing more.

@DJI, why did you do this and why is no one communicating or commenting here?

2022-8-4
Use props
djiuser_WNMKvutofePI
lvl.3
Canada

I have voiced my opinion about this ridiculously pathetic mapping issue both in this forum topic, and directly to Dji.  Dji has not responded with any remediation comments.  We wait.
2022-8-4
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

However, there is also feedback from conversations with DJI support that the change of card provider is already an issue and so a change could happen again because too many customers bring it up.

How much does it cost to use the map from MAPBOX or another provider? Presumably it was too expensive for DJI and so they switched to Maptiler.
The frustration remains with the customers.
About 1000€/$ costs the piece of plastic (RC + drone), we already pay a lot of money for development, service and then they make such a decision because of a few cents?
I thought for the 1000 I get the best product on the market with the best possible map which the processor can safely handle, wrong thought.....
2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_WNMKvutofePI
lvl.3
Canada

We need the help of every Dji RC owner to join in the filing of a complaint to Dji here in the forums, and likely more effective complain directly to Dji.  C'mon everyone, let Dji know how terrible these Maptiler maps really are, and how annoying they are to us all.
2022-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RoZis Posted at 8-6 02:11
However, there is also feedback from conversations with DJI support that the change of card provider is already an issue and so a change could happen again because too many customers bring it up.

How much does it cost to use the map from MAPBOX or another provider? Presumably it was too expensive for DJI and so they switched to Maptiler.

Maps are not free! If you make a piece of software that uses maps supplied by the different providers, then you have to pay that provider. Then if you sell a certain number of those devices, then DJI has to pay the map provider a fee based on the number of users out there.

And quite obviously, the better the quality of the maps, ther more that DJI has to pay the map provider, probably one very good reason why DJI do not use Google maps, although I think they did in the early days.

For this reason, DJI has been trying to find newer, cheaper map services because their useage fees will have rocketted in price over recent years. Perhaps they solution is to provide a choice of a couple of good quality map providers, then require the drone owner to take out a subscription to those maps services that they then pay to the map provider directly?

That would suit me, as I don't use the maps anyway.
2022-8-6
Use props
djiuser_WNMKvutofePI
lvl.3
Canada

Geebax Posted at 8-6 16:18
Maps are not free! If you make a piece of software that uses maps supplied by the different providers, then you have to pay that provider. Then if you sell a certain number of those devices, then DJI has to pay the map provider a fee based on the number of users out there.

And quite obviously, the better the quality of the maps, ther more that DJI has to pay the map provider, probably one very good reason why DJI do not use Google maps, although I think they did in the early days.

Not a welcome suggestion.
2022-8-6
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

An additional license fee for map users is a possible scenario.
However, given the high price of the equipment, I would have expected DJI to maintain either the delivery state and the quality of the map as in FW V01.01.0000, otherwise I would have returned the controller right away if necessary.
Alternativ a card subscription deposit, the 50€ / year would have been me then also no matter, at the total price of over 1300€ with FMC and DJICare, that is also no longer in the weight.
But the same is true for DJI, the equipment has become much more expensive and the license fees should have been preserved for the benefit of customer satisfaction.
It should also be noted that probably only a small percentage would use the Sat cards permanently, the license fees can be through clicks probably not so high.
2022-8-7
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_WNMKvutofePI Posted at 8-6 07:10
We need the help of every Dji RC owner to join in the filing of a complaint to Dji here in the forums, and likely more effective complain directly to Dji.  C'mon everyone, let Dji know how terrible these Maptiler maps really are, and how annoying they are to us all.

Best way to proceed Bro ;)
2022-8-7
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ugh..  This is disappointing.  I just got my RC and I'm finding issues like this and Airsense also not working.
2022-8-17
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Wait...isn't the RC meant to be used with the DJI Mini 3 PRO?  That's the name of one of my drones!  I'll add my name to those asking DJI to fix this.
2022-8-20
Use props
gulfpre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2885656 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would be pretty awesome if the resolution were better…
2022-8-23
Use props
fans40f2a48a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 616978 ft
Australia

Upvote on this one too. Used my iPhone with my spark and maps was crystal clear.
Now it is unusable with the RC. Especially for flying while exploring mountains, etc. Accurate imagery is important when locating the drone.

DJI RC comes at a premium, so I would expect a premium experience
2022-9-4
Use props
azzamen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14616165 ft
  • >>>
Russia

DJI, change the map source please. It is terrible.
2022-9-6
Use props
vivexx
lvl.2
France

Same issue here

2022-9-6
Use props
cold_dog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343520 ft
Russia

Same issue, very low resolution of the satellite images in the maps of DJI RC. The maps are almost unusable. This needs to be fixed ASAP!
2022-9-7
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Maptiler is the worst map provider I have ever seen.

Please DJI, fix that. This map provider is just unacceptable.

2022-9-7
Use props
djiuser_LWwUdxqCwRMQ
lvl.1
Austria

DJI it should allow users of RC controllers to choose where to get the cards themselves, allow downloading third-party cards. and so this is not respect for their users
2022-9-7
Use props
fans489f40bf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 654593 ft
South Africa

Same here in South Africa !!!   Please DJI fix the Map issue or we will be forced to tell all customers to not waste the money on the RC and buy the old controller.

Not very happy with DJI at the moment.
2022-9-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The other issue is FIND MY DRONE, that map too is shlte totally none useable, even the city of LONDON is shlte, not that i live there or would ever fly there my point is, its the capital city of England.
Granted, there is the standard map that is very much useable but that's not the point, there are times when a decent sat view is really needed e.g. off the beaten track is but one of many reasons.

DJI need to take the hit on this one and negotiate with google and to be fair, everyone that buys DJI expect to see Google Maps or at the very least Mapbox.

I too will email support...

2022-9-9
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

For all of you which are effected by course aerial resolution, mayby some good news.

I had written to the support here in Germany and now after weeks I also received an answer.
The core message is clear, something will change, that's good.

"We are already aware of the problem with the poor map quality caused by the new provider "Maptiler" in some countries. For this reason, our responsible team is already working on a solution for this problem"
Thanks to all who have already contacted support, thanks to all who will
This is the only way to change things for the better

2022-9-12
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Sat Map view in the RC is very bad and for all intents and purposes, unusable.  Whatever is causing the low resolution should be fixed ASAP.  Some say it's the Sat Map provider.  I have no idea, except that it is an usable option on the RC.  DJI, please offer us an alternative!  
2022-9-12
Use props
fenomeno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8510814 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Same issue in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brasil. Mavic 3 with the original rc shows beatiful satellite images, with rc pro fuzzy images.
2022-10-14
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 709&pid=2873345

The problem with satellite images is only in the flight controller, in another view the quality is excellent.
2022-10-14
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Drone.Hunter Posted at 10-14 18:28
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=276709&pid=2873345

The problem with satellite images is only in the flight controller, in another view the quality is excellent.
Yes, only in the RC controller when using FlyApp.
I also mentioned that above.  That's what makes the mal issue so frustrating
2022-10-14
Use props
Greg Penner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26467 ft
Canada

Adding to the opinions. DO NOT purchase the RC controller until you see somewhere that they have fixed the poor satellite map issue. I debated, spent the extra money for the controller... I am SO SORRY. What a compete waste of money. DJI should include a warning/illustration so others don't waste their time and money.
2022-10-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules