DJI RC - Aerial / Satellite resolution very poor and old in F..
123Next >
8463 82 2022-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MacGyver007
lvl.1
Colombia

I find this bait and switch of the aerial maps to be a form of false advertising, as when I was reading reviews and writeups for the mini 3 pro, it showed clear maps which actually served a purpose, but now for some unknown reason they have castrated the resolution whereby it is completely useless.
This is not an acceptable form of doing business, I liken it to buying a 4K tv to find out it has been later reduced to 240i.
As a customer one has a reasonable expectation of a products functionality as demonstrated, not to have functions downgraded for unknown reasons without notice or explanation, at any rate it is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
What is next, the max range of 12KM drops to 1.2KM without notice or explanation??? or the camera one day starts only taking pics in 480P?
If I had seen the horrible resolution of the DJI RC, I would have NEVER bought it, as it is junk in its current state.
This is a blatant form of false advertising, and I am sure others who have bought the DJI RC think the same way.
DJI FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY, it is unacceptable by all means.
2022-10-21
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

I have exactly the same problem with satellite maps.
This is totally unacceptable DJI , get it fixed immediately !
2022-10-31
Use props
skoffice
lvl.1

Poland

RE: DJI RC - Aerial / Satellite resolution very poor and old in F..

I have exactly the same problem with satellite maps in Poland.
This is totally unacceptable DJI , get it fixed immediately !
2022-11-7
Use props
Berhatz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 667575 ft
Russia

Friends, hello everyone! What kind of normal cards are you talking about if DJI is now saving even on components that it installs into its devices. Unfortunately, we will suffer, not their big bosses.
2022-11-8
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

Berhatz Posted at 11-8 07:48
Friends, hello everyone! What kind of normal cards are you talking about if DJI is now saving even on components that it installs into its devices. Unfortunately, we will suffer, not their big bosses.

The version of the RC, software and map service I purchased met all the required details. The service and maps originally came from MAPBOX.

In a later firmware was then also MAPTILER neutered.

You buy something and the manufacturer just takes it away.
E.g. you buy a BMW with nice navigation system and after 3 months the update makes it like Lada navigation - not nice!

"OK, by a coincidence I now know what happened, or in other words, DJI reduced the map details on purpose - DJI switched from MAPBOX to MAPTILER"
See
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 644&pid=2814800
2022-11-8
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the same issue. I bought the Mavic 3 Cine for the RC Pro. There is a cloud over the area I normally fly so no detail at all. Near my home is about 5 years out of date and very poor resolution. Please fix this DJI.
2022-11-10
Use props
JmsWms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3344603 ft
United States

https://dronexl.co/2022/11/17/dr ... ps-map-improvement/
2022-11-17
Use props
djiuser_2lekDwTPBtfk
New

Australia

Dji what is going on with this one? I'm seriously considering returning the drone based on lack of any usable satelite maps. Terrible regression since the previous generation.
2022-12-17
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.3
Flight distance : 704741 ft
Cyprus

It is impossible to pre-plan waypoint missions with this sh...ty resolution. So this function is unusable for me. Why did I spend 2000.- € for a Mavic 3 Classic when one of its main features is basically unavaliable because DJI wanted to save some money? Pathetic!
2022-12-19
Use props
fansb0150470
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168297 ft
United States

Just purchased the Mavic 3 Classic and yes the maps are terrible.
DJI you need to address this issue ASAP.
We pay too much money for your products to have to deal with poor map resolutions.

Switch to Google Maps it is plain to see that MapTiler is not the way to go.
I loaded my area using MapTiler on my laptop and the quality is terrible.
2022-12-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Just took this screenshot of Mt Olympus. Fly 1.9.0, S21 Ultra
Nothing wrong with the resolution.
Screenshot_20221222_112228.jpg
2022-12-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

The first picture was from the "Places to fly" map. This is the same area from the camera view map. Even better.
Screenshot_20221222_113245.jpg
2022-12-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

And this from the RC Pro camera view. Why the different maps? The "Fly Places " maps are great! on all, why such garbage on the RC Pro?
Screenshot_20221222-114204.png
2022-12-22
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

JmsWms Posted at 11-17 20:35
https://dronexl.co/2022/11/17/drone-pilots-update-dji-apps-map-improvement/

Nothing new, RC Controller is updated and aerial map view is same as before - poor.
2022-12-22
Use props
Seouluis
lvl.1
Peru

Tengo el mismo problema de Mapas Borrosos en DJI RC Control, me apena mucho que DJI no haga una actualización que resuelva este GRAN PROBLEMA. Creo que usan mapas que sirvan en United States y en Europe, el resto del mundo pues simplemente no les interesa (estoy en Peru, Sudamérica), una verdadera lastima, adiós Waypoints en mi Mavic 3.

I have the same problem of Blurry Maps in DJI RC Control, it seemed to me very much that DJI does not make an update that solves this BIG PROBLEM. I think they use maps that work in the United States and Europe, the rest of the world simply doesn't interest them (I'm in Peru, South America), a real shame, bye-bye waypoints on my Mavic 3.
2022-12-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-22 09:25
Just took this screenshot of Mt Olympus. Fly 1.9.0, S21 Ultra
Nothing wrong with the resolution.

The issue is primarily with the screened RC's, not the pilots phone/tablet, hence it being in the DJI RC section and the OP stated the DJI RC
2022-12-28
Use props
Dazzzz
lvl.1

Australia

I purchased the new Mavic 3 Classic a few weeks ago with the RC. I have the latest firmware and the maps are terrible. I have downloaded offline maps and the resolution is very poor. It’s virtually unworkable to set Way Points or POIs as a whole area is confined to a very small dot. This I consider to be a serious usability problem.
2022-12-29
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

It looks like DJI is not willing or able to offer a solution.
I suspect that the performance of the RC's mainboard is simply too weak to work with high resolution aerial pictures. Possibly this is in conflict with flight safety or stability.
Another possibility would be only too high license costs, there could be developed a price model for customers who insist on it.
2023-1-5
Use props
CB1960
New
South Africa

RE: DJI RC - Aerial / Satellite resolution very poor and old in F..

Geebax Posted at 2022-8-6 16:18
Maps are not free! If you make a piece of software that uses maps supplied by the different providers, then you have to pay that provider. Then if you sell a certain number of those devices, then DJI has to pay the map provider a fee based on the number of users out there.

And quite obviously, the better the quality of the maps, ther more that DJI has to pay the map provider, probably one very good reason why DJI do not use Google maps, although I think they did in the early days.

Maps are indeed not free but my $200 Samsung can see Google maps in great detail without me being charged.  Maybe Samsung pays Google.  Now with the price of a Mini 3 Pro, surely the same model can be used to provide the RC controller with great map satillite mp detail.
2023-1-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

CB1960 Posted at 1-6 09:43
Maps are indeed not free but my $200 Samsung can see Google maps in great detail without me being charged.  Maybe Samsung pays Google.  Now with the price of a Mini 3 Pro, surely the same model can be used to provide the RC controller with great map satillite mp detail.

Google IS Android.
2023-1-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Here's a funny. Check Recommended Zones and Fly Spots when you open Fly. BOTH maps are perfect. Why is the map under the Atti Indicator GARBAGE!!! Both my S21 Ultra and RC Pro are this way!!
2023-1-6
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-6 09:58
Here's a funny. Check Recommended Zones and Fly Spots when you open Fly. BOTH maps are perfect. Why is the map under the Atti Indicator GARBAGE!!! Both my S21 Ultra and RC Pro are this way!!

Right! That was also my first thought and question, why sometimes so and sometimes so, on the same Device
2023-1-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CB1960 Posted at 1-6 09:43

Google Maps is a totally different mapping system, of course it is free. But to do what DJI is doing you have to use a map and then apply your own overlays to show the drone position, that facility is what cost money.
2023-1-6
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Geebax Posted at 1-6 13:02
Google Maps is a totally different mapping system, of course it is free. But to do what DJI is doing you have to use a map and then apply your own overlays to show the drone position, that facility is what cost money.

I think we agree that Google Maps is not the request by User.

DJI has delivered the Mini 3 Pro with RC remote control with the map from MAPBOX (firmware until June 2022)
MAPBOX had the overlay included and has excellent aerial resolution, worldwide!

DJI had sold the drone and remote control with these good features and then degraded them via FW update.

THAT was subsequently changed to MAPTILER, ancient and in part 15-30m resolution.

See: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 644&pid=2814800
2023-1-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 1-6 13:02

Agreed, its the google maps API that DJI uses and for commercial use there is a charge, its X amount per x amount of users, so they are charged accordingly.

I, at 1st thought it was down to the money but it just cannot be that reason, if it was then it would be the same across the board, ie. mobile and tablet etc these all use Google maps, my suspicion now is perhaps its something to do with the Android license on the screened RC's, i cant see why mind as its all Google but there must be something, you can't just install GApps on anything you like, it has to be compatible, perhaps DJI devs screwed sommat up when compiling Android or perhaps its a google licensing thing, that being the more likely problem i think.

Or perhaps more likely, that DJI is not allowed to use native Google Maps, perhaps on mobiles and tablets, somehow DJI are piggy backing the maps already installed.

Yeah i don't think that 100%, it was a tad far-reaching lol I don't think we will ever know the reason, we just want a decent viewable map to use. As it stands, the satellite layer is unusable enough so that when out in the sticks it makes the whole maps system useless when detail is needed to find specific sites etc...
2023-1-20
Use props
Sashe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87215 ft
United States

Same here

2023-2-3
Use props
DominoDoggy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 948123 ft
United States

I just spoke with DJI live chat about this. They seemed to appreciate that it is a big deal to have high quality maps.

If they don't remedy the situation, I think customers in the USA can and should raise this to the FAA's attention. I am beyond certain that the FAA would want its pilots to have current maps. That is kind of a very big deal to them. Ask them how good a sectional chart is good for. Here we are trying to fly using maps from 2008. I think the FAA would probably want that changed to the absolute most recent maps.

Someone mentioned that maps aren't free.
No, they are not. It is cheaper and easier to do map updates than it ever has been, and as a customer I am very willing to pay a reasonable cost to keep updated, current maps. I just don't want garbage low-res maps peddled to me as the only option when the RC-N1 I just "upgraded" from had crystal clear current maps at the ready.

EDIT: I am within Amazon's return window for my DJI RC, I am actually thinking about returning the hardware and remaining with my DJI RC-N1 that had great maps, and the C1 and C2 buttons weren't that big of a deal since the RC lost the dedicated Fn and Swap Mode buttons, which I could map four separate actions to with the RC-N1. The RC has turned out to be a very handy, easy to carry disappointment.

2023-2-27
Use props
fans59983a03
lvl.1
Flight distance : 881096 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

I bought Mini 3 with DJI RC. It arrived yesterday, I unpacked it, saw the horror, contacted support, saw they consider me an idiot ("connect to wifi to get higher resolution images") even though I provided enough details that I've done it and that Maptiler's satellite imagery is outdated (10-15 years!) and extremely low resolution/quality in my country and no amount of "redownloading" will solve the issue.

Today, I have returned it. Already on its way. So long, good riddance. I don't feel confident enough to find my way through unfamiliar areas with satellite maps that look like they were taken by Soviet Sputnik at peak of Cold War.

I mean, if DJI considers this a peak of technology, let them have it:

For comparison, this is nearby my hometown:

Google Maps image on the right show large areas which have been cut down, repurposed, even 20+ objects built... and it's been like that for 10 years now. That's how old and outdated Maptiler images are. I've been flying DJI drones since 2014 and this is unacceptable. Whole neighborhoods are missing and even where they're not, zooming in just a bit more gives you the first photo. Horrendous!
2023-3-31
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Greg Penner Posted at 2022-10-19 11:04
Adding to the opinions. DO NOT purchase the RC controller until you see somewhere that they have fixed the poor satellite map issue. I debated, spent the extra money for the controller... I am SO SORRY. What a compete waste of money. DJI should include a warning/illustration so others don't waste their time and money.

It's not that big of a deal guys. I've been using the RC for a while now and have never been bothered by satellite resolution. I mainly use it for navigating the drone back when I can't see it in low light. So it's not a deal breaker. The only possibility I might need high-res maps is when using the find-my-drone feature.
2023-3-31
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

fans59983a03 Posted at 3-31 08:38
I bought Mini 3 with DJI RC. It arrived yesterday, I unpacked it, saw the horror, contacted support, saw they consider me an idiot ("connect to wifi to get higher resolution images") even though I provided enough details that I've done it and that Maptiler's satellite imagery is outdated (10-15 years!) and extremely low resolution/quality in my country and no amount of "redownloading" will solve the issue.

Today, I have returned it. Already on its way. So long, good riddance. I don't feel confident enough to find my way through unfamiliar areas with satellite maps that look like they were taken by Soviet Sputnik at peak of Cold War.

Your area in Slovenia is quite difficult to identify, you are right about the Sputnik idea.
The only possibility of high resolution map is the combination RC-N1 plus smartphone.
Unfortunately the display quality of the smartphone in sunlight is also unusable, there the RC is really quite good.
Too bad with the aerial details in RC + FlyApp
2023-3-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jake. A Posted at 3-31 10:27
It's not that big of a deal guys. I've been using the RC for a while now and have never been bothered by satellite resolution. I mainly use it for navigating the drone back when I can't see it in low light. So it's not a deal breaker. The only possibility I might need high-res maps is when using the find-my-drone feature.

You've obviously never had to go off-road before, satellite view is crucial to finding spots on the map, dropping a pin and flying to it.
2023-3-31
Use props
fans59983a03
lvl.1
  • >>>
Croatia

Jake. A Posted at 3-31 10:27
It's not that big of a deal guys. I've been using the RC for a while now and have never been bothered by satellite resolution. I mainly use it for navigating the drone back when I can't see it in low light. So it's not a deal breaker. The only possibility I might need high-res maps is when using the find-my-drone feature.

To you maybe it isn't. For me, it's crucial. I mostly fly along the coast, which looks 99% same and there are no other identificators possible than hi-res satellite photos to know where you are, which cove you are above and what location you're trying to reach. Considering ruggedness of Croatian coast (very high mountains just next to the sea, lots of bays and coves) it's a disaster waiting to happen if you can't recognize if that's a flat spot or some 150m high rugged cape between you and your drone.

So, exactly as you said - "finding my drone" feature, but in real time (read: flying drone with maps) is a must for me. I won't get myself into nerve-wrecking situations just because DJI decided to save up few cents on each user (read: pay for Google/Mapbox/etc license). Yet, the products keep getting more expensive (I've purchased 3 Mavic Pros in my life, neither costed as much as "Mavic Classic", heck I think one even had a price tag same as this Mini 3). And they were all new, yep.

2023-4-2
Use props
fans59983a03
lvl.1
  • >>>
Croatia

RoZis Posted at 3-31 11:35
Your area in Slovenia is quite difficult to identify, you are right about the Sputnik idea.
The only possibility of high resolution map is the combination RC-N1 plus smartphone.
Unfortunately the display quality of the smartphone in sunlight is also unusable, there the RC is really quite good.

Croatia, but close enough ;) Yeah, if there wasn't a map overlay ("hybrid") I'd have no clue where I am. Even I live here. WTF DJI, really?!
2023-4-2
Use props
djiuser_l35T4Z0CvVyp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 355758 ft
Canada

Same here Canada Ontario the map picture is terrible
Really disappointed
2023-6-21
Use props
ata_bahamas
lvl.1

Bahamas

@DJI please fix this issue as soon as possible.
2023-6-22
Use props
djiuser_l35T4Z0CvVyp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 355758 ft
Canada

ata_bahamas Posted at 6-22 06:03
@DJI please fix this issue as soon as possible.

No one person want to do anything in this problem
Really sad.
This issue not in the user manual or the promotion.
Dji know this problem but not interested to do anything
2023-6-22
Use props
fans0e454ef4
lvl.1
United States

Hawaii is also broken...
2023-6-27
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Germany

Maptiler has no investors who pay for high-resolution imagery (as is the case with Google).
The datasets are very expensive, several million euros per year.
Nothing is free! Google Maps is funded by our location data and selling it to advertisers.
Maptiler does not.

However, I have received feedback from Maptiler that there will soon be a 1.2m/pixel update(*) in some particularly poor resolution areas (Germany, is planned during August). They are aware of the annoyance of DJI customers there and I believe I understand they are working on a solution.

(*) Here is an example how 1.5m/pixel satellite images look like.
So Maptiler update with 1.2m/pixel resolution should be a bit better than the 1.5m/pixel example in the middle.
That would be good enough for me. Hope for update as soon as possible.

https://www.destatis.de/DE/Service/EXSTAT/_Bilder/2-2.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-02 um 12.45.34.jpg
2023-7-2
Use props
David59
lvl.2

Georgia

RoZis Posted at 7-2 02:36
Maptiler has no investors who pay for high-resolution imagery (as is the case with Google).
The datasets are very expensive, several million euros per year.
Nothing is free! Google Maps is funded by our location data and selling it to advertisers.

Any news about possible update to have acceptable satellite maps on DJI RC ?
2023-8-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

RoZis Posted at 2022-9-12 10:40
For all of you which are effected by course aerial resolution, mayby some good news.

I had written to the support here in Germany and now after weeks I also received an answer.

One year has passed now... You still believe that something will change?

How long now? 6 months? Another year?
2023-8-30
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules