DJI Mini 3 camera soft/blurry side - de-centred lens?
7023 34 2022-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi there

Stills from my new DJI Mini 3 are very soft on the right hand side, and not just in the corners. I was expecting corner softness from a fixed f1.7 polycarbonate lens, but didn't expect the softness to be as apparent across the whole side of the frame. It looks similar to how a de-centered lens performs.

Is this worth pursuing with DJI or is this sort of performance typical for the camera? Another option is return and replace via Amazon but I'm not having any of the issues with range/dual band functionality that some others are seeing, so I'm reluctant to take my chance with another.

dji-mini-3-pro-soft-100%-crop (2).jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOlvQj_elLOqCuw3VUAOl5oTNJs9Y3XW/view?usp=sharing

RAW/DNG file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOlvQj_elLOqCuw3VUAOl5oTNJs9Y3XW/view?usp=sharing

JPG:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w5oywwVmVFC6soYeZNUYMVGPn8HGmJmZ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks
2022-7-5
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would return it to Amazon with a faulty camera and order a replacement.
2022-7-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Exben. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since we are having this issue with your new DJI Mini 3 Pro, I would recommended for you to contact the seller or you may also contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.  
2022-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you ask me, that Jpeg looks exactly as expected from this tiny camera.
DNG will look much worse, since that reveals the true quality of the camera system. (lens + sensor).
But for the Jpeg goes, I think it is exactly how a small camera will deliver.
TBH, I never use DNG on my DJI products just because of this.
It's way too much work to get acceptable results.
2022-7-6
Use props
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-6 05:56
DNG will look much worse, since that reveals the true quality of the camera system. (lens + sensor).

I've ordered a new Mini 3 so it'll be interesting to see how it compares, but I couldn't use these files and don't think the JPEG looks any better than the DNG. It's less obvious in the 12MP files but images from my Mini 2 have better uniform sharpness than these. The Mini 2 is soft in the corners as you'd expect, but not across one whole side of the frame.
2022-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Exben Posted at 7-6 06:06
I've ordered a new Mini 3 so it'll be interesting to see how it compares, but I couldn't use these files and don't think the JPEG looks any better than the DNG. It's less obvious in the 12MP files but images from my Mini 2 have better uniform sharpness than these. The Mini 2 is soft in the corners as you'd expect, but not across one whole side of the frame.

DNG is really bad for the Mini 2.
At least with my one.
The jpeg is better (just as yours is).
It's just a tiny lens and not much details to uncover.
Plus they seem to have a very aggressive color profile in there.
2022-7-6
Use props
Combat Squirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've also had this issue, the top left 25% corner of the frame is blurred, its my 2nd mini 3 pro as the 1st was even worse with other camera issues.

The drone store I got it from says there is reports of fogging on the lens and it can clear itself up, so I've been told to keep it another week or 2 to see if it clears itself up, if not I will return and get ANOTHER mini 3 pro

DJI really need to work on their quality control.
2022-7-6
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-6 05:56

My raw files once i have edeted them using photoshop look 100 time better than any jpeg could ever look
Do you even know what your talking about lol
2022-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DocSavage Posted at 7-6 08:31
My raw files once i have edeted them using photoshop look 100 time better than any jpeg could ever look
Do you even know what your talking about lol

I'm talking about the Mini 2.
Not the M2P.
Those will look much better, since that has a better lens + sensor.
Just like the DNG files I get from my Nikon D750 give a lot of room for post processing.
But DNG does not help anything if the camera system is not good.
And the one from M2 is not very good.
2022-7-6
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Montfrooij Posted at 7-6 10:45
I'm talking about the Mini 2.
Not the M2P.
Those will look much better, since that has a better lens + sensor.

I believe in discussions was Mini3 Pro, not Mini 2.
And Mini 3 Pro sensor is all but not tiny compared to Mini 2, in fact is almost double size, so...
Air 2 sensor is smaller, still have better details and less blur in photos compared to Mini3...
Now, there is an F1.7 aperture, all who work from long time with lenses knows very well that if you do not have very good optics in a low F, your image will look very soft on edges...so to tell the truth, that is Mini 3 Pro optical group...not the best optics, as DJI does not invest in a high level optical but mostly in middle range quality that generates in some cases a poor image as there is not a super calibrated true glass optics...
So...if your image have flaws...nothing to do but send it back for replacement....is a matter of luck here, as we don't talk about Sony or Canon optical group, but a no-name one without proper QC and with many areas where the optics are just improper.
2022-7-6
Use props
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-6 06:14
DNG is really bad for the Mini 2.
At least with my one.
The jpeg is better (just as yours is).

I'm not sure what your criteria is but I can do a lot more with the DNG files from the Mini 2 than I could with the JPGs. What software are you using to de-mosaic the files? Lightroom? I've used LR and C1, and with some careful adjustments I'm happy enough with the files printed up to A3+ size. The dynamic range offered by the DNG file is much improved compared to that offered by the JPG. Obviously the DNG looks flat and soft until you make the necessary adjustments.

The issue with the Mini 3 I'm having can't be resolved in post. The side is blurry and no amount of sharpening is bringing that detail back. I should receive the replacement today so I'm hoping it will be better, if not I'll just stick with the Mini 2 as the 48MP files aren't much better than an interpolated (enhanced) 12MP file, albeit the 12MP files from the Mini 3 sensor is admittedly a decent improvement over equivalent 12MP files from the Mini 2 (as you'd expect).
2022-7-7
Use props
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Combat Squirrel Posted at 7-6 06:15
I've also had this issue, the top left 25% corner of the frame is blurred, its my 2nd mini 3 pro as the 1st was even worse with other camera issues.

The drone store I got it from says there is reports of fogging on the lens and it can clear itself up, so I've been told to keep it another week or 2 to see if it clears itself up, if not I will return and get ANOTHER mini 3 pro

This is bad news if true. Any lens I've had that's fogged/hazy from new I've returned because you can expect mould to turn up eventually, even if it does clear.

I'm really hoping the replacement resolves this because I much prefer the new remote, and the 12MP files from the Mini 3 are a decent improvement over those from the Mini 2.
2022-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Geo_Drone Posted at 7-6 22:43
I believe in discussions was Mini3 Pro, not Mini 2.
And Mini 3 Pro sensor is all but not tiny compared to Mini 2, in fact is almost double size, so...
Air 2 sensor is smaller, still have better details and less blur in photos compared to Mini3...

Yes, I agree.
2022-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Exben Posted at 7-7 00:41
I'm not sure what your criteria is but I can do a lot more with the DNG files from the Mini 2 than I could with the JPGs. What software are you using to de-mosaic the files? Lightroom? I've used LR and C1, and with some careful adjustments I'm happy enough with the files printed up to A3+ size. The dynamic range offered by the DNG file is much improved compared to that offered by the JPG. Obviously the DNG looks flat and soft until you make the necessary adjustments.

The issue with the Mini 3 I'm having can't be resolved in post. The side is blurry and no amount of sharpening is bringing that detail back. I should receive the replacement today so I'm hoping it will be better, if not I'll just stick with the Mini 2 as the 48MP files aren't much better than an interpolated (enhanced) 12MP file, albeit the 12MP files from the Mini 3 sensor is admittedly a decent improvement over equivalent 12MP files from the Mini 2 (as you'd expect).

I always shoot AEB for extra dynamic range.
DNG just does not work for me, it's too much work to get anything out of it (at least with Mini 2)

I use Affinity, which might be part of the reason, since Adobe is the only editor (company) I know that uses the embedded lens profile.

But I'm not a pro editor by any means
2022-7-7
Use props
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

New Mini 3 arrived yesterday, just flew it out and the camera is much better. It's soft in the corners, as you'd expect from a poly lens with fixed f1.7 aperture, but I can deal with that.

DNG file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QFyDOYEPAa8CC6eRvfeI9vix982f9ZlI/view?usp=sharing
2022-7-8
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 629675 ft
Czechia

Hello,

I think mine camera is also decentered. Left side is visibly softer:

https:// drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-C3oJ7DkCChpJyWSCDheDT4yZfN7RkNp?usp=sharing

I am not sure if it is bad enough to deal with it. Can I ask for advice?

I have just got the drone few days ago and already purchased and bound 2 year care pack. :-(
2022-7-23
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I have the same issue … I described it in other thereads  and I’d believed that it was for the lack of lens profile or a defective lens. Using the Phantom 3 profiles helps ….but still is not enough to compensate the inclinations of the buildings. As others, we compensate in post processing in PS.

Sent a problem report to DJI Europe, as DJI Stephen suggest

Upper right corner

Upper right corner
2022-7-23
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

juan55 Posted at 7-23 11:59
I have the same issue … I described it in other thereads  and I’d believed that it was for the lack of lens profile or a defective lens. Using the Phantom 3 profiles helps ….but still is not enough to compensate the inclinations of the buildings. As others, we compensate in post processing in PS.

Out of curiosity, what is the mfg date of your drone?
2022-7-25
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 7-25 06:20

I am out of home for a while, so I have not the case to check it (although I don't know if there is another way to know it). I live in Spain and I have received the drone by June 12th, if helps.I bought the drone to DJI Spain.
I have check the image quality of the images that I got with my old Mini 2 with the Mini 3 Pro (12 Mpx ) and nothing to see.
The image has a correct informations when you go to the borders, no blurry, no such chromatic aberration mainly. Only the tipical  optical deformation of a wide angle when you tilt.
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Czechia

Mavic 3 Raptor Posted at 7-25 06:20

Sticker on the box says 2022/6
2022-7-25
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Czechia

Since I was able to fly more today, I added some more examples:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-C3oJ7DkCChpJyWSCDheDT4yZfN7RkNp?usp=sharing

I have already sent an email to support and am waiting for a replay.

2022-7-25
Use props
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Left-hand side of the frame looks very bad to me. I wouldn't be happy with this and would return it, it appears to be a physical issue with regards the construction of the lens, perhaps de-centred or some other issue similar to what I was seeing with my first Mini 3.

Edit: I've looked again at all your files and these are terrible, much worse than the copy I sent back. You definitely need a replacement or repair.
2022-7-25
Use props
Exben
lvl.2
United Kingdom

juan55 Posted at 7-23 11:59

Do you have the full file? It's difficult to tell how far into the frame this goes from your crop. I'm guessing you mean upper left corner not right?
2022-7-25
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

I have received mail back from DJI Support Europe in Netherlands .... My Mini 3 Pro is going to be exchanged, opening now a CAS return. I am preparing all to send it tomorrow back to them.
2022-7-26
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

Exben Posted at 7-25 10:30
Do you have the full file? It's difficult to tell how far into the frame this goes from your crop. I'm guessing you mean upper left corner not right?

The problem is going  "in crescendo" from center to all corners.... blurry, chromatic aberration ... and the vertical lines are tilting toward left and right sides
2022-7-26
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Czechia

So far, I have only recieved message from DJI support yesterday that they will transfer my email to concerned team.

I would contact seller, but I need answer from DJI if I will be able to use Care refresh on new drone.

I took some more pictures and added them to the drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-C3oJ7DkCChpJyWSCDheDT4yZfN7RkNp?usp=sharing

Blur is also visible on video, although less noticable.

left side of frame:

right side of frame (same vertical position):

2022-7-27
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx Posted at 7-27 00:17
So far, I have only recieved message from DJI support yesterday that they will transfer my email to concerned team.

I would contact seller, but I need answer from DJI if I will be able to use Care refresh on new drone.

But the question is that this is brand new drone with a malfunctioning problem, and it looks like this problem it's happening to more people. It should be covered by the warranty and replaced for a new proper working unit. I have DJI Care refresh too and I DON'T have to loose one of the three replacements for that. I sent yesterday a mail to the DJI Support and I am waiting for a CAS-xxxxxx-xxxxxx number.
2022-7-27
Use props
djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx
lvl.2
Czechia

Last response from DJI I have so far is 4 days old. I am happy to know, that DJI value my business with them and will transfer my email to the concerned team.

I also tried to contact seller, but it was yesterday and I don't have answer from them either.

I am waiting for the answer from DJI or seller and meanwhile I took some more pictures and also made snapshots from 4k videos added them to the drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-C3oJ7DkCChpJyWSCDheDT4yZfN7RkNp?usp=sharing

top left side of frame (from 4k video):

top right side of frame (from 4k video):

2022-7-30
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

My Mini 3 was 05/2022
2022-8-3
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

djiuser_FMapDUFyImnx Posted at 7-30 08:17
Last response from DJI I have so far is 4 days old. I am happy to know, that DJI value my business with them and will transfer my email to the concerned team.

I also tried to contact seller, but it was yesterday and I don't have answer from them either.

Same as my photos …. Checked with my old Mini 2 and Magic 2 Pro and they doesn’t have that aberration/ blurry/tilt ……even the phones with small sensors have better image and no such distortion/blurry
2022-8-3
Use props
KS-6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

I might be returning mine as well, it is just not uniformly sharp. Bummer too as I really want to use it for an upcoming trip to Iceland at the end of September.
2022-8-11
Use props
tjpro4
New

United States

I have the same camera lens blurry problem with my Mini3 Pro, I was unable to adjust for a clear vision whether I used the PRO camera settings or the AUTO mode.
2022-9-4
Use props
djiuser_nordic
lvl.2
Sweden

Hi,

My brand new mini pro 3 seems to be suffering from a similar problem. Though when I tested to take some photos from a close object the picture is quite good. It seems to be present when the objects are far away, then the right-side of the frame is quite soft and blurry. Could this indicate that issue is not hardware-related and could be solved by recalibrating or some other method using DJI Assistant 2?

ok image:

The right side of the image(screenshot from video footage) is blurry:
2022-11-30
Use props
martinpodt
New

Netherlands

My Mini 3 Pro photos are very soft in the lower left corner. Top corners are fine, lower right corner is also not that sharp. According to DJI this is acceptable. But really, is this acceptable? I can't use these photos. I had other DJI drones in the past, but never saw photos are bad as these.

Sharp in the center:

But this is how it looks in the lower left corner (more than 500 x 500 pixels):
2022-12-29
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

I've quite a lot fmof experience with decentered optics. I'll try look at the full size drive links on PC soon...
2022-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules