DJI Mini 3 Pro and RC — Screen goes BLACK when selecting VIdeo
8052 25 2022-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177408 ft
Ireland

For the first time since updating the firmware of the Mini 3 Pro i tried a video shot today and as soon as i selected Video the RC screen when black, the map was still showing in the bottom left corner and the other info on screen app read to be there. The only was to get the display back working was to either select SLO-~mo or change to Picture.

Control of the Mini3 pro did not appear to be affected, but i was not going to hang around and try to much.

Anyone else seen this? I did not have my M3 with me at the time but tomorrow i will try with the M3 and see if i get the same result.

Will be raising Support ticket tomorrow and sending log off tot DJI for them to look at.

Thanks

JohnW
2022-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JohnW. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since we are having this issue, I would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance. We will do there best to help and will give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-7-8
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing happened to me after my second flight
2022-7-8
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Are you sure you weren't in video Pro mode, and the settings were too dark for the conditions?
2022-7-8
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

jefish Posted at 7-8 16:04
Are you sure you weren't in video Pro mode, and the settings were too dark for the conditions?

Hello,

Firstly, this problem has been reported to DJI Support, however, have not received any response from them as yet.

There has been one development, I noted that as I also use a Mavic 3 and I started to use the RC as the controller for both devices after the major software update, this issue occurred with the Mini 3 Pro.

So I carried out a further test to see if the problem occurred when using the M3 and in my test it did not, however, I also then noted that when I switched to using the Mini 3 Pro and had to go through the Connection set up again, this issue also did NOT occur.

Strangely when I first had the Black screen when using the Mini 3 Pro I also noted that when I powered on the RC then the Mini 3 Pro I did NOT have to go through the Connection set up step.... so I am now wondering if this issue is related to switching devices on the single RC? and how do you correctly pair your devices?? I have advised DJI Support on this finding and am awaiting feedback.

thanks

JohnW
2022-7-8
Use props
Steve_UK_M3P
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4392336 ft
United Kingdom

Hi John

What firmware version do you have on your RC remote controller?
Reading through the release notes for the lastest Mini 3 Pro firmware update, the firmware on the DJI RC remote controller must be v01.01.0300
2022-8-22
Use props
Steve_UK_M3P
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm not sure from your description if this is the same issue, but the 'black screen' part is definitely similar (maybe just with a different trigger).

Since one of the DJI Mini 3 Pro firmware updates that were released in June, I have been getting what I thought was a random “black screen” that just happens mid-flight, where I lose the video, but I still have full control of the aircraft and can still see all the live telemetry on-screen such as height, distance, battery, compass etc, I also still have all the on-screen menus and maps etc available.

After lots of testing I have discovered that the black screen issue was not actually 'random' after all, I found that it only happens after using 'Spotlight' or 'POI' modes, but the weird thing though is that it doesn't happen straight away (in tests the black screen occurs about 35 seconds after you exit the mode).
Also I have also found through extensive research, that the issue only appears to happen with the DJI Mini 3 Pro, with the standard RC-N1 controller and a Tripltek 8 Pro tablet (so the issue is very specific).  
I have also figured out that if you do get the black screen issue, simply click on "album", then click back, and the video is restored within a few seconds.  
This issue has been reported to both DJI & Tripltek.

2022-8-22
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Steve_UK_M3P Posted at 8-22 07:03
Hi John, are you using the controller with the built in screen, or the standard controller with a phone/tablet?

Hello

Yes using the new RC with Screen.

JohnW
2022-8-22
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Steve_UK_M3P Posted at 8-22 07:53
I'm not sure from your description if this is the same issue or not.
Since one of the DJI Mini 3 Pro firmware updates that were released in June, I have been getting a random “black screen” that just happens mid-flight, where I can still see all the live telemetry such as height, distance, battery, compass etc, I also still have on screen menus and maps etc.
After lots of testing I have discovered that the "black screen issue" is not actually random after all, it only happens after using one of the focus modes such as Spotlight or POI. The strange thing though is that it doesn't happen straight away (in tests it takes about 10 to 35 seconds after you exit the mode). I have also found that the issue only appears to happen with the DJI Mini 3 Pro, with the standard RC-N1 controller and a Tripltek 8 Pro tablet (so the issue is very specific).  

Hi,

Interesting, I have had a totally different experience with my "Black Screen" issue.

I happens on the new RC Controller (with Screen)

It only occurs shortly after i have switched on the controller then the Drone (Mini 3 Pro) which then enables the controller to go directly to `go FLy mode, bypassing the Connection phase.

it only happens if i select Video

I can get out of it by selecting Slo-Mo but then I am stuck in Slo-Mo mode until I reset the video.

I have two Mavics a 3 and the mini 3 Pro, i tried using them on the new RC controller but it appears that the fault only happens if the Mini 3 Pro is the Drone in use.

So totally different failure modes to yours ???? how odd. At one point i was convinced that it was to do with the proper execution of the Connection mode phase so that the particular Drone is correctly "linked" to the controller..... but jury out on that for now.

Thanks

JohnW
2022-8-22
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Clarrification..... i have 2 Drones  1 Mavic 3 and the newer Mini 3 Pro
2022-8-22
Use props
Bluenoes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3896775 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am having a very similar issue with my Tripltek 8 pro and mini 3 pro.

It doesnt happen with my google pixel 4a.

During flight, the camera view screen goes black after using spotlight or POI mode.
It doesnt happen in any other modes.
If i dont use a special fly mode, it does not happen.
I found the quickest fix is to switch to the photo album view, and back again, which restarts the live view.
I have tried three different app versions, but that has made no difference.

I have reported to both Tripltek and DJI.

So, if this is happening with the official Controller, then hopefully it will now get investigated properly.
2022-8-22
Use props
Steve_UK_M3P
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ejwjohn Posted at 8-22 14:21
Hi,

Interesting, I have had a totally different experience with my "Black Screen" issue.

Hi John
When the issue happens, have you tried the workaround that I use for my black screen issue?
Click on album, then go back (this restores video on mine)
2022-8-23
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Hi,

No, and at the moment DJI has insisted I send my Mini 3 Pro back for assessment on an unrelated issue to do with Vision System Calibration so will not be able to try until it returns hopefully not too long to wait.

Interestingly i use the same controller when i fly the Mavic 3 and to date, i have never seen this "Black Screen " issue using the Mavic 3.

One other point i forgot to mention is that i also can see all the telemetry info on the controller screen when the "Black Screen " issue occurs.

Thanks

JohnW
2022-8-23
Use props
Bluenoes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3896775 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ejwjohn Posted at 8-23 23:08
Hi,

No, and at the moment DJI has insisted I send my Mini 3 Pro back for assessment on an unrelated issue to do with Vision System Calibration so will not be able to try until it returns hopefully not too long to wait.

I did a simple test yesterday as it was suggested that the problem wasa due to a weak signal.
I stood in the back garden, took the drone up about 6 feet and 6 feet away from me.
I use myself as the focus point for spotlight. and did a little up, down and side to side movement.
I turned off spotlight mode.
Within 30 seconds, the screen was black.
You could rinse and repeat that process and you would get the same response all the time.
I have a screen recording of it and sent it to DJI, waiting for a resonse.
2022-8-24
Use props
George Driscoll
lvl.2
Flight distance : 220666 ft
United States

Bluenoes Posted at 8-24 00:52
I did a simple test yesterday as it was suggested that the problem wasa due to a weak signal.
I stood in the back garden, took the drone up about 6 feet and 6 feet away from me.
I use myself as the focus point for spotlight. and did a little up, down and side to side movement.

Exact same with me.
2022-9-15
Use props
munk49
lvl.1
Flight distance : 326677 ft
Italy

I’ve been using the mini 3 pro for about 15 days and I’ve had the same problems.
Using DJI FLY (updated to ver 1.7.0) on my Tripltek 8 pro (vers.Android 10) connected to the remote control DJI N1 (vers Firmware 04.140300) and my new MINI 3 pro (vers Firmware 01.00.030), after about 20 minutes of flight the image becomes completely black, Telemetry information, including histogram, is correctly reported. If I disconnect and reconnect the cable from the tablet, or if I switch to album and then return to flight mode the image will be displayed correctly. This problem does not occur on the MINI 3 PRPO if I use the same RC N1 connected to my Samsung Galaxy S9 . Also,  The problem does not arise if , with the same remote control RC N1 and Tripltek 8,  I pilot the DJI MINI2.
As reported by you others, in fact if I do not use the "spotlight" mode of the mini 3 pro the problem does not arise.
I reported the problem to Tripltek and DJI without receiving solutions. I very much hope that the problem will be solved not to give up the excellent display features of my excellent tripltek 8
2022-9-18
Use props
djiuser_h63MF9asOy6B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1025535 ft
United States

I had this same exact problem and may have the solution. My djim3pro with rc controller randomly started going almost black while in video mode. I too could also still see map, altitude, etc. when I switched to photo (vs video) the image was perfect.
Solution: while in video, in the bottom right corner of the controller there is a camera symbol with text inside it. Tap this to alternate between “auto” and “pro.” Select  auto and the image returns to normal.
2023-4-22
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_h63MF9asOy6B Posted at 4-22 22:58
I had this same exact problem and may have the solution. My djim3pro with rc controller randomly started going almost black while in video mode. I too could also still see map, altitude, etc. when I switched to photo (vs video) the image was perfect.
Solution: while in video, in the bottom right corner of the controller there is a camera symbol with text inside it. Tap this to alternate between “auto” and “pro.” Select  auto and the image returns to normal.

Interestingly the fault i had seems to have "disappeared" since I have been updating the Mini and the controller.

But i will certainly remember your solution.

JohnW
2023-4-23
Use props
fans7ac73174
lvl.2
Flight distance : 385594 ft
United States

ejwjohn Posted at 4-23 03:11
Interestingly the fault i had seems to have "disappeared" since I have been updating the Mini and the controller.

But i will certainly remember your solution.

I had the exact problem.  I "refreshed" the firmware on both the RC and the MP3 and it corrected the issue.  Hopefully it'll last.
2023-4-28
Use props
Thibaud Le calvez
New

Switzerland

Hi
I am having similar problems just bought the mini 3 pro and it seem to have a mind of its own. From the screen freezing and getting stuck mid flight.
Or the screen being black from the start. For some reason I am having connectivity issues.
Turning the drone on and off helps and sometimes works also seems to depend on the day.
But is about a 50/50 chance of a working drone or not. The drone is always showing full bars and I can still fly it.
Not sure how relevant it is but seems to be especially a problem when trying to use follow me or other self fly feature as it freezes nearly instantly. It will be then stuck on the last frame until a reboot where I get a black screen most of the time.

If anyone has any ideas would be great
Many thanks Thibaud
2023-5-2
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Thibaud Le calvez Posted at 5-2 13:43
Hi
I am having similar problems just bought the mini 3 pro and it seem to have a mind of its own. From the screen freezing and getting stuck mid flight.
Or the screen being black from the start. For some reason I am having connectivity issues.

Have you updated both the RC & Mini 3 pro to latest firmware?
2023-5-2
Use props
fans870b2255
New

United States

djiuser_h63MF9asOy6B Posted at 4-22 22:58

Nicely done!  This solved my issue instantly!
2023-5-8
Use props
FlapjackBeans
lvl.1
United Kingdom

HiI too was flying today 05/07/2023 and after a few short flights the RC screen went Black I could barley see any images at all i did have it recording so i have 3 short clips but can't see them ever getting corrected. I then returned home and looked don here and i have turned video from normal to slo mo and back and it seems to have sorted it WHAT THE HECK is all that about ? This is my first drone and my first post any help would be great thanks.
2023-7-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

FlapjackBeans Posted at 7-5 03:00
HiI too was flying today 05/07/2023 and after a few short flights the RC screen went Black I could barley see any images at all i did have it recording so i have 3 short clips but can't see them ever getting corrected. I then returned home and looked don here and i have turned video from normal to slo mo and back and it seems to have sorted it WHAT THE HECK is all that about ? This is my first drone and my first post any help would be great thanks.

Hi, FlapjackBeans. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please try the steps below?
1. Confirm whether a microSD card is mounted from the aircraft. We recommend removing the microSD card, rebooting the device, and trying again.
2. Please make sure the firmware version of the drone and remote controller is on the latest. When the microSD card is not mounted, refresh the aircraft or the remote controller firmware.  You can upgrade or refresh the firmware by using the DJI Assistant 2 that you can download from (dji.com/downloads) to your computer.
3. Please reset the camera settings. After resetting the camera settings, please check if the photo and video can be shot normally. If not, the photo or video also shows black, we recommend sending the remote and aircraft for testing. You can submit a repair request by going to (dji.com/support). Don't hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.
2023-7-6
Use props
mhoffmaster14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 413 ft

United States

**Update - I used the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) to downgrade my firmware to an earlier version. This has helped... while it still seems to happen, it's less frequent. Keeping the drone within 6 feet of the RC also seems to help.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or found a fix? I received a replacement drone through the Refresh program, paired the new drone with my existing RC, and have been struggling with the screen blacking out or freezing ever since. The original drone did not have this problem. I have found, however, that putting the quality to 1080 at 25 fps works more often than 4k and other modes. I have already reset the settings on my drone and controller multiple times, removed and reformatted my sd cards, and ensured that the firmware has been update appropriately.
2023-10-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

mhoffmaster14 Posted at 10-25 11:09
**Update - I used the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) to downgrade my firmware to an earlier version. This has helped... while it still seems to happen, it's less frequent. Keeping the drone within 6 feet of the RC also seems to help.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or found a fix? I received a replacement drone through the Refresh program, paired the new drone with my existing RC, and have been struggling with the screen blacking out or freezing ever since. The original drone did not have this problem. I have found, however, that putting the quality to 1080 at 25 fps works more often than 4k and other modes. I have already reset the settings on my drone and controller multiple times, removed and reformatted my sd cards, and ensured that the firmware has been update appropriately.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what specific drone are you currently using? In addition, please send us a screen recording showing the live camera view during the issue with the error message so we can further isolate the issue and provide you with an accurate resolution. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules