12Next >
20791 49 2022-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rsl2022
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5308 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, Mini 3 Pro seems amazing - but has anyone else found the propeller screws problematic when replacing a prop?  On my first unit I needed to replace a couple of props.  I couldn't unscrew one prop screw at all, another was extremely difficult to remove and the new screw would not screw fully home (stopped firm with 1mm travel still to go).  I only used the provided screwdriver (as user guide instructs).  DJI actually replaced the unit for me as within 15 days.  (In my view this was a manufacturing defect and the 15 days should have been immaterial anyway).
I'm concerned this may be a reoccuring issue as the depth of the screw recess is very shallow and the quality of the provided screwdriver seems inadequate.  I really think the screws used should have a deeper recess - especially for what is designed to be a user replaceable consumable part.

I'm content to try a better quality screwdriver if that helps but would like to know the correct size before I order one.  I have a PH00 that this not small enough.  Is it a PH000 or a PH0000, or something else?

2022-7-8
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249249 ft
United States

I could not get the screwdriver that came with the drone to work.  I used another micro screwdriver and it worked just fine.  I think the problem is the screwdriver that came with the drone. In other words, I had the same issue as you.
2022-7-8
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Ve read the supplied screwdriver is poor quality.  Best to get a decent jewellers one.  Wouldn't recommend a large driver with a small screw bit just in case you over tighten.  Remember the screws have threadlock so don't reuse unless you have threadlock to put on them and they're not stripped on the head
2022-7-8
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-8 08:57
I could not get the screwdriver that came with the drone to work.  I used another micro screwdriver and it worked just fine.  I think the problem is the screwdriver that came with the drone. In other words, I had the same issue as you.

Thanks for giving your experience.
2022-7-8
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

chillibadger Posted at 7-8 11:01
Ve read the supplied screwdriver is poor quality.  Best to get a decent jewellers one.  Wouldn't recommend a large driver with a small screw bit just in case you over tighten.  Remember the screws have threadlock so don't reuse unless you have threadlock to put on them and they're not stripped on the head

Thanks.  I will be getting one.  Shame DJI doesn't supply a decent one :-(
2022-7-8
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

who doesn't have a wowstick, i think for people like us, it's a given and a no-brainer.
2022-7-8
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

I put a box wrench on top to loosen the screws. Why?
Because with the ring wrench, which sits firmly on the DJI hexagon, I could both attach and hold sufficiently straight and thus loosen the screw sensitively.
The rest was then done by hand without a ring wrench, never by force, especially when screwing it in.
The DJI tool has a good hardness and quality, there is nothing to complain about.
2022-7-8
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-8 12:04
who doesn't have a wowstick, i think for people like us, it's a given and a no-brainer.

Looking for one of these   got some good allen screwdrivers from my model car and heli days
2022-7-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the prop is damaged and the screw driver keeps slipping I be inclined to compare the screw's head diameter with the bore in a new blade and if the screw's head diameter is clearly greater than try crushing the old blade's hub to the screw's head with pliers etc. and use the pliers grip of the hub to undo the screw.
The problem with this is that from what I have see the blade fits over a boss in the motor's top. If that is correct then if you crush the old blade's hub too much or in the wrong place or wrong way you could crush the hub onto that boss.

It would also be nice if DJI would confirm both the size and pattern of the cross.
2022-7-8
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-8 14:42
If the prop is damaged and the screw driver keeps slipping I be inclined to compare the screw's head diameter with the bore in a new blade and if the screw's head diameter is clearly greater than try crushing the old blade's hub to the screw's head with pliers etc. and use the pliers grip of the hub to undo the screw.
The problem with this is that from what I have see the blade fits over a boss in the motor's top. If that is correct then if you crush the old blade's hub too much or in the wrong place or wrong way you could crush the hub onto that boss.

"It would also be nice if DJI would confirm both the size and pattern of the cross."

Agreed.  Thanks.
2022-7-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

rsl2022 Posted at 7-8 11:12
Thanks.  I will be getting one.  Shame DJI doesn't supply a decent one :-(

Having a wowstick is super handy.  Not only for just prop changes but a multitude of other uses.  Much better quality than a DJI provided screwdriver for sure.
2022-7-9
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I would say its PH000, comparing to the Wowstick bits
2022-7-9
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Mechanism Posted at 7-9 06:39

Thanks.  I received a Wera PH000 today.  Significantly smaller than the provided driver and works PERFECTLY.  No feeling of twisting out of the screw head and no having to grip the motor for dear life.  Just managed to screw home two screws that still had 0.5mm travel to go with the new PH000 with ease - whereas I couldn't get any further with the DJI screwdriver and had started to strip the heads.
2022-7-12
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-0534 ... 57623420&sr=8-1
2022-7-12
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

pjglad Posted at 7-12 03:03
Will this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05345290001-Screwdriver-Electronic-Applications/dp/B00LCHYO8E/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Screwdriver+Ph+000&qid=1657623420&sr=8-1

Yes, that is the one I have from another seller in the UK that is now out of stock (https://www.cpltools.co.uk/wera- ... ss-ph000-3366-p.asp).

The photo is generic as the PH000 I received has a step reduction in the shaft diameter 10mm or so from the tip.  Mine has PH000 and 345290 printed on it that corresponds with the manufacturer part number on both sites  (05 345290 001).
2022-7-12
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I was looking at the ESD Wera screwdriver on Scamazon (UK) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B7XKBJG. Not quite as cool as the classic black and green
2022-7-12
Use props
djiuser_ZVviN8IvFQxU
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I've experienced this too. I managed to replace one prop with extreme force and precision, but it was too hard to replicate and I couldn't get the second one off. Not to mention that I was very concerned about the level of down force that was required to not strip the screw.

In the end I had to send my Mini 3 Pro back to DJI for them to replace the screws. I was pretty upset about it, what a waste of time all for them using a cheap screw driver.

In the end I received drone back with the report stating that the screw driver is faulty.

As per other reports on this thread, I'll be purchasing a new #00 screw driver as the one supplied is useless and it's a horrible doubtful feeling I get now when I break a prop - which I did again the other day as a novice pilot lol.
2022-7-26
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_ZVviN8IvFQxU Posted at 7-26 07:24
I've experienced this too. I managed to replace one prop with extreme force and precision, but it was too hard to replicate and I couldn't get the second one off. Not to mention that I was very concerned about the level of down force that was required to not strip the screw.

In the end I had to send my Mini 3 Pro back to DJI for them to replace the screws. I was pretty upset about it, what a waste of time all for them using a cheap screw driver.

PH#000 not PH#00

With the right screwdriver in hand you'll find it absolutely no problem.  I know what you mean about the down force needed with the supplied one.  Nothing like like once you have the right tool.
2022-7-27
Use props
kylejs
lvl.1
United Kingdom

rsl2022 Posted at 7-27 01:15
PH#000 not PH#00

With the right screwdriver in hand you'll find it absolutely no problem.  I know what you mean about the down force needed with the supplied one.  Nothing like like once you have the right tool.

Thanks for the clarification on the size!
2022-7-27
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-8 08:57

I had the same bad experience trying to replace blades with the supplied screw driver.
2022-7-29
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

I ordered the P000 from Amazon.  They sent me a P1 (way bigger).  Hoping they can get it right next time...
2022-7-29
Use props
Renavators4life
lvl.1

Australia

same problem with me
2022-7-31
Use props
djiuser_oGHqKxYKSuf0
New

Indonesia

same. i can't remove the screw coz it's so tight. the screw is rounded now and i have no idea what should i do now
2022-8-8
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_oGHqKxYKSuf0 Posted at 8-8 22:32
same. i can't remove the screw coz it's so tight. the screw is rounded now and i have no idea what should i do now

I contacted DJI support and sent back for a replacement as I was starting to round off the screw with no progress.  Had I known it was an issue with the supplied screwdriver, I would have first got a PH000 driver and tried that first as it is a bit of hassle sending back the drone etc - but they did sort me out.  Hopefully the PH000 will still get some purchase on your rounded screws - else contact support.

DJI should be proactive on this issue or it's going to cost them as more owners need to replace their blades.
2022-8-8
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

FYI
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 099&pid=2817291
2022-8-10
Use props
KHew88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20935 ft
United Kingdom

I know there are mixed opinions on it, but I bought the Wera 1550 PH000x40mm and it grips the screws way better than the DJI screwdriver does!
2022-8-14
Use props
djiuser_lBYauxKTD1V9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 907139 ft
United Kingdom

RoZis Posted at 7-8 13:55
I put a box wrench on top to loosen the screws. Why?
Because with the ring wrench, which sits firmly on the DJI hexagon, I could both attach and hold sufficiently straight and thus loosen the screw sensitively.
The rest was then done by hand without a ring wrench, never by force, especially when screwing it in.
I disagree! The driver provided  in my case was extremely soft and stripped immediately! Had to use a better one to extract  still with difficulty .... and had further difficulty replacing and screwing fully home. The provided driver was worthless!
2022-8-23
Use props
djiuser_lBYauxKTD1V9
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fly.overflying Posted at 7-29 20:25
I had the same bad experience trying to replace blades with the supplied screw driver.

Me too! The provided driver was worthless. And the replacement screws would not go fully home.
Definitely a quality and manufacturing issue!
2022-8-23
Use props
djiuser_lBYauxKTD1V9
lvl.1
United Kingdom

rsl2022 Posted at 8-8 23:37
I contacted DJI support and sent back for a replacement as I was starting to round off the screw with no progress.  Had I known it was an issue with the supplied screwdriver, I would have first got a PH000 driver and tried that first as it is a bit of hassle sending back the drone etc - but they did sort me out.  Hopefully the PH000 will still get some purchase on your rounded screws - else contact support.

DJI should be proactive on this issue or it's going to cost them as more owners need to replace their blades.

Fully agree!
2022-8-23
Use props
FL_Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810594 ft
United States

I use a Craftsman mini-screwdriver kit from Home Depot. Works fine.
2022-8-24
Use props
djiuser_6H9t2nSnOgJH
New

Canada

Mechanism Posted at 2022-7-9 06:39

I had the same issue. They honestly shouldnt be this impossible to screw off. I saw a video of this and it says the size of screwdriver is ph0000
2023-1-4
Use props
MRAD
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_6H9t2nSnOgJH Posted at 1-4 23:53
I had the same issue. They honestly shouldnt be this impossible to screw off. I saw a video of this and it says the size of screwdriver is ph0000

I have a full Wera Kraftform Micro Screwdriver set (model 5134000001 if you're curious).  I tried all of the PH0, PH00, and PH000 and compared them to the factory-provided screwdriver.  Here's the interesting thing: While the PH00 was the closest in size to the factory screwdriver, it did worse than BOTH the PH0 and the PH000 (don't ask me why, it doesn't make sense to me either . . . I think it has something to do with how shallow the screws are).  For me, while the PH0 looked too big, it actually did best - both screwing and unscrewing.  I got mild stripping with PH000 at the end of the range.  I tried on two different propellers (and so two different screws).  

I'm almost wondering if DJI has used different screws throughout the process?  The upside is that the PH0 is only $4 on Amazon, but you'll have to wait until April to get it:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001P18LY?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp , so if you decide to try it, you're only out 1/2 of a cup of coffee.
2023-2-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is the cross slot a Phillips cross slot? There are other designs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
2023-2-25
Use props
Aurgelme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1657 ft
Norway

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-25 09:17
Is the cross slot a Phillips cross slot? There are other designs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

That's a good question, here is a picture of a new screw from the original dji propeller
kit
2023-2-25
Use props
Aurgelme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1657 ft
Norway

Aurgelme Posted at 2-25 11:06
That's a good question, here is a picture of a new screw from the original dji propeller
kit
[view_image]

Answers myself to this one

link
2023-2-25
Use props
djiuser_kWVukKpbb3fU
New
Flight distance : 15528 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all! I too have the same issue. I have only got the Mini 3 Pro under 2 weeks when I had to change one of the props. As I’ve bought additional propellers I’ve decided to change all. There were 2 screws that were problematic, even when using the supplied screwdriver.
One just wouldn’t unscrew, and the other did unscrew however the new screw wouldn’t screw all the way in. I cannot then remove it and have also stripped the screw so I now have 2 screws stripped.
I have been really careful but struggle to replace the 2 screws. I used the same force as the others so I do not believe I’ve used excessive force. Anyway, ordered a wowstick to hopefully negate this issue in the future.
I have decided to send this back to DJI for repair but confused by the options. I have the option of using my Refresh plan (Premium or basic) or submit standard warranty claim. The Premium plan required further £380 or so authorisation on my credit card.
Which one should I go for in my situation please?
2023-4-30
Use props
rsl2022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

djiuser_kWVukKpbb3fU Posted at 4-30 13:57
Hi all! I too have the same issue. I have only got the Mini 3 Pro under 2 weeks when I had to change one of the props. As I’ve bought additional propellers I’ve decided to change all. There were 2 screws that were problematic, even when using the supplied screwdriver.
One just wouldn’t unscrew, and the other did unscrew however the new screw wouldn’t screw all the way in. I cannot then remove it and have also stripped the screw so I now have 2 screws stripped.
I have been really careful but struggle to replace the 2 screws. I used the same force as the others so I do not believe I’ve used excessive force. Anyway, ordered a wowstick to hopefully negate this issue in the future.

I used the standard warranty claim in the same circumstances.  You shouldn't need to use your Care package.  Warranty claim was pretty quick and efficient and DJI readily accepted the issue.  I've still had problems even with a better screwdriver.  I now believe the issue is the lack of consistent quality of the screws.  Some seem to be too soft and the heads strip too easily whereas others are fine.

In a recent case where I couldn't screw the screw fully home - or unscrew it - so I decided to cut the new prop off (tricky and needs care) so that I could grip the screw head with long nose pliers to remove.

My new approach to avoid this in future is to always try the replacement screw without the prop to check it screws fully home.  If it meets excessive resistance or head starts to get stripped - stop, remove and discard the screw and try another.  If a screw works fine, remove and then attach the new prop with it.  I'm accepting that the thread lock may not be as effective when finally attaching the prop - but overall this seems like a safer approach to avoid this problem.
I should stop crashing - that would be the better option.
2023-5-1
Use props
fans920e302a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31332 ft

United Kingdom

Nothing to do with wrong screws etc. after removing screws I have micro taps and dies, so I cleaned the threads up and was amazed at the amount of old blue threadlock that had stuck to the threads inside. After a cleanout the screws went in properly
2023-9-16
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

fans920e302a Posted at 9-16 03:14
Nothing to do with wrong screws etc. after removing screws I have micro taps and dies, so I cleaned the threads up and was amazed at the amount of old blue threadlock that had stuck to the threads inside. After a cleanout the screws went in properly

I think that's a good way to go.  What thread are they ?
2023-9-16
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

After reading almost everything here and in another thread > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 69099&extra=&page=1
I am more confused than sure which screwdriver is now the perfect fit. Too different opinions and experiences are shared here. The fact is for me that the supplied screwdriver for my feeling does not really fit tightly! He has play on both sides and does not go deep enough into the screw from my point of view. I dare not try to loosen the screws with it. Most convinced me still the Aregument that it needs a JIS screwdriver for a tight fit and that the PH screwdriver is not really the right choice. Why does DJI deliver such an inferior screwdriver, since a repair is pre-programmed in many cases. Is that intentional? I hope not, but believe that something went wrong here and has not been corrected until now, because my Mini 3 Pro was produced according to the packaging on May 2023 and contained this not really optimal fitting screwdriver.

Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screwdriver set with 4 hard to find JIS screwdrivers in sizes #000 (2 mm), #00 (2.5 mm), #0 (3 mm) and #1 (4 mm). This particular type of screw is commonly used in consumer electronics such as digital cameras and even RC helicopters.

JIS screws, unlike Phillips screws, are designed so that the screwdriver will not slip out if the torque is too high ("cam-out" effect) and can therefore be damaged when using a Phillips screwdriver. JIS screwdrivers, on the other hand, can be used for Phillips screws without any problems.

2023-9-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules