Remove camera and gimbal for newbie fight practice?
822 7 2015-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ggonline
New

United States

For training purposes,
Can / Should the camera(entire gimbal) be removed while learning to fly? Don't want to damage the camera as newbie.  Would this be wise or not recommended? Any significant differences (i.e. control)?

2015-8-4
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Welcome gg! It would be of my opinion, opinion being the operative word there, that it would be more of a hassle than it would be worth, and there could be some risk of it not working properly when putting it back together even though I don't think it's that complicated (I have never attempted this though). The camera and gimble are fairly well protected. I'd try to focus on keeping good control of the aircraft, which will in turn take care of the rest. I've slapped both my birds down (1 of them really hard too) and both still work fine. Just my thoughts!  Happy Flying!

Barney
P.S.  As far as major differences, I think you would only realize a slightly longer flight time because of the lighter craft, but I don't think it would handle all that differently. Again, I have only flown with the camera.
2015-8-4
Use props
sdtag
lvl.2

United States

leave the camera on and get a gimbal saver from ebay
you don't want to deprive yourself of the first time fpv experience.
2015-8-4
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

I would also recommend flying with the full set up. Having the OSD is the most value and seeing what the camera see I'd fantastic. Do yourself a favor. If unsure and you need practice get one of the cheep quads off eBay that has a simular controler as the Phantom. Practice flying and get the feal of the controls. However the Phantom is easy to fly and if you keep the orientation away from you  you can fly with no problems  if you get disoriented just release the sticks and she'll hover in place. My best recommendation would be to review the you tube video on the different functions and flying of the PhAntom.
2015-8-4
Use props
ggonline
New

United States

thanks for the quick replies.   I figured a little longer flight time, but not meaningful. Hadn't heard the term "gimbal saver"... what a great idea...learn something everyday.
2015-8-4
Use props
phantomjack
lvl.1

United States

i took the camera and gimbal assy off for my first 20 flights or so. it is easy to replace, just make sure you hang on to the extra set of clear plastic retainers in your kit.
2015-8-5
Use props
myvision
New

United Kingdom

Newbie here leave it on it's all part of the experience looking forward to flying mine again at the weekend.
2015-8-6
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

There are a few FIGHT videos on youtube to watch  to get the hang of it.   

I  vote for leave it together and get used to flying and landing with it all together.  recommend landing on soft grass (but not so high it hits camera and pushes it out of position hard or you get error).  not on gravel or pavement to start.

I would strongly  suggest you NOT do CSC to stop props when landed - it is very hard to NOT tip and break props. Instead just use the throttle full down into notch hold position;  ya, props run on about 3 secs after landing, but seldom tip,

enjoy!
2015-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules