Mid-air power-down/power-up
1413 11 2015-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Dear all,
Firstly this is my first post. Have been reading through some of the posts in this forum and they are very helpful, so thank you to those who have contributed!

Ok so I have a hypothetical question here, (would not and have not tried this...) what would happen if you powered off your motors mid-air and immedietly powered back up? the reason I ask this is due to a video I just watched with a surfer coming through a pipe, holding the landing gear and as he exits the pipe, the SUAS powers-up and flys away - very cool video, I dont think I could try this... but there must be quite alot of downward pressure already being aplied to the SUAS before it powers up...

Anyway, it would be awesome to have sime insigth into the aerdynamic logistcs of how much force/pressure it can take during power-up/take off.

Here is the video that I mentioned - www.surfingmagazine.com/video/jamie-obrien-teahupoo-drone-barrel/

2015-8-4
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

Well, i could be wrong but...

P3's seem to have the glide ratio of a greased rock, so unless you are way over the allowable altitude restrictions, i think the chances of getting a re-start and enough torgue to get the aircraft to climb are slim.  

Just ask the folks that have mistakenly CSC'd during flight.
2015-8-4
Use props
afponiky
lvl.2

United States

here we go again......................
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

stvnvicbc Posted at 2015-8-5 04:58
Well, i could be wrong but...

P3's seem to have the glide ratio of a greased rock, so unless you ar ...

Me for one, it will cost you $1259,
2015-8-4
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

From studying the video, its a phantom 3 and it was not stopped and motors were running, he caught it right before he got a chance with the surf and he let it go at the moment the tunnel was going to close. the phantom never stopped running.
2015-8-4
Use props
DrDoktir
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

That drone had propellers running the whole time.  It says it int he article and shows it int he video below.
2015-8-4
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

DrDoktir Posted at 2015-8-5 07:34
That drone had propellers running the whole time.  It says it int he article and shows it int he vid ...

I apologize i did not read the article LOL i just watched the videos.
2015-8-4
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-5 08:59
I apologize i did not read the article LOL i just watched the videos.

Thats some tricky business right there, i've seen the pics of arms torn open from messed up hand catches etc.  But holy cow, surfing with a running quad in your hand?

But on the other hand it's probably the coolest drone vidya i've seen so far imo!
2015-8-4
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

Video is absolutely awesome!  unfortunately  when the drone flew up it didn't shoot the surfer.
2015-8-4
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

It is possible to do the CSC and recover mid air in the SIMULATOR!!!!!, i had it up approx 300' and did a kill and restart almost immediately with full power....It stopped at about 15 feet up. Would I try this in real life hell no, is it theoretically  possible yes I believe it is. Try it and let us all know how it goes for you....
2015-8-4
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Gabe R Posted at 2015-8-5 11:11
It is possible to do the CSC and recover mid air in the SIMULATOR!!!!!, i had it up approx 300' and  ...

haha, no ill let someone else try it! never considered trying the simulator, will do it now myself! cheers
2015-8-5
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DrDoktir Posted at 2015-8-5 07:34
That drone had propellers running the whole time.  It says it int he article and shows it int he vid ...

That makes a bit more sense, maybe i should of read it! thanks for pointing that out.
2015-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules