Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
After Firmware update, 1st flyaway Compass gone BAD
12Next >
4583 46 2015-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fac
New

United States

I did the latest firmware update, it took no issues, remote , unit and all 4 batteries.

It started with motors glitchers.. random spin ups during flight.  very weird

Then APP said repeatedly "ATTI MODE"

Then various compass ERRORS.  "aTTI MODE"  compass error...

started to fly away quickly....but I took control and did a controlled fly back and landning.  WT@?? dji... really  is this your best?

Had to do a complete reset of the unit and ALL CALIBRATIONS. COMPASS, GIMBAL, IMU...

and by the way.. when I got the new HDMI module... I had to rebind the control as well.

So update and use at your own risk.

good luck.

2015-8-4
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Can you revisit your location again and watch the sensors after you put the phantom where it took off and se if the numbers start jumping around, also did you do all calibrations before you start the first test flight after the phantom got upgraded ?
2015-8-4
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Good to do all the calibrations after every firmware update , And I do a compass calibration before every flight ..
2015-8-4
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

You should check your sensor readings after every firmware update.
2015-8-4
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Total Posted at 2015-8-5 10:13
Good to do all the calibrations after every firmware update , And I do a compass calibration before  ...

Totally agree, best to update and reset everything to a clean slate. RC, IMU, gimbal, compass and then take it easy. don't launch it 100' up right away and then be like oh shit.
2015-8-4
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Total Posted at 2015-8-5 10:13
Good to do all the calibrations after every firmware update , And I do a compass calibration before  ...

I'm trying to get an idea for how good an idea it is to do a compass calibration before every flight.   Some say don't do it.

How many flights do you have doing it your way?

Never a flyaway?
2015-8-4
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

of course it will fly away when you in a ATTI mode. if i were you i would roll back and upgrade again
2015-8-4
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-8-5 11:31
I'm trying to get an idea for how good an idea it is to do a compass calibration before every flig ...

I havent calibrated the sensors after 2 firmware upgrades. Only calibrated the compass when i first bought it. No problems since then.

But I did do hover and flight tests on one battery after the upgrades tho. Made sure all the sensor readings are correct before takeoff. fly about 6 feet from the ground just in case anything does happen.

Should save you from any crashes or flyaways due to bad sensor readings
2015-8-4
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I'm trying to get an idea for how good an idea it is to do a compass calibration before every flig ...

36 flights and counting , with no fly aways ..
2015-8-4
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

A fly away isn't the p3 in attitude mode and drifting away with the wind! A fly away is when it flies off into the sunset and you can't do squat about it...  Please rename your thread because your misleading people.  And it sounds to me like you were losing gps coverage not your compass giving issues. The app would have told you the compass was malfunctioning and you didn't say anything about that..  Your gps signal was prolly weak that is shy it was going in and out of attitude mode and why you actually had to fly it. If you get down to 4 gps Satalite connections the p3 and any copter will bounce around..  If this god your blood pumping then you need to get to know your machine better and stop relying on gps so much..  Btw no gps locks means no return to home..  So figure your toy out before we see you complaining you lost it..  

I hope I helped you understand your p3 better....
2015-8-4
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Lets give him the benefit of explaining himself first then you can go down his throat after...
2015-8-4
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would suggest to upload your flight log to dropbox or google drive for DJI to take a look at.  
2015-8-4
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like you didn't calibrate after the update. Post the logs and/or contact DJI. I'm sure that if this happened as you say it did, they would be interested in seeing the logs.. IF...
2015-8-4
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

axidify Posted at 2015-8-5 10:24
You should check your sensor readings after every firmware update.

Check the sensor values is a good practice before each takeoff.
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i have had 100+ flights and one compass cal before first flight, i have travelled over 400miles from first location, i check the sensor readings b4 each flight and manually chk compass bearing, if all chks out fine then i let compass recal alone. never a fly away.
2015-8-4
Use props
romansu
lvl.2
Latvia

Ulysse Posted at 2015-8-5 14:39
Check the sensor values is a good practice before each takeoff.

hi, how you check sensor value?
2015-8-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

romansu Posted at 2015-8-5 16:03
hi, how you check sensor value?

In the App, press Mode then choose sensors.
sensor.jpg
2015-8-5
Use props
romansu
lvl.2
Latvia

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-5 16:15
In the App, press Mode then choose sensors.

thank.

how to know the correct information or not?
in section "mod" should be 0?
2015-8-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

romansu Posted at 2015-8-5 19:19
thank.

how to know the correct information or not?

Gyro and acceleration should be close to 0 as possible for all readings.. ( calibrate IMU on level surface ). The image I posted is just from Google so don't go by that.

MOD for compass between 1400 and 1600
2015-8-5
Use props
Steve.Petry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 462621 ft
  • >>>
United States

MOD should be 1300 ~ 1700
2015-8-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steve.Petry Posted at 2015-8-5 19:32
MOD should be 1300 ~ 1700

I like to sit in the middle
2015-8-5
Use props
fac
New

United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-8-5 13:36
A fly away isn't the p3 in attitude mode and drifting away with the wind! A fly away is when it flie ...

No. It was a compass error. I had 15 GPS locked in.

However, the wind was taking the phantom 3 away very quickly.  If it does not stay in one place, thens its flying away. It can fly towards me, left or right.., still its a fly away cause you expect assisted mode not to go bad with 15 GPS Sats locked in.

It wasn't until I re-calibrated everything..that this behavior went away.  So my advice
CALIBRATE, CALIBRATE, CALIBRATE...after any firmware update.
Also, for you to asume that folks don't know there " toy" for your info,. I have been doing RC for over 15 years.

I have Trex 600, 500, 450, electric and nitro in the larger scales..some 400 scale Elites, I have build various racing drone 250 class,
I even have a turbine f16 model..I own equipement far superior to what every you have seen and I also own a real SR -20 GTS, thats right, I'm a private pilot,
and I also have amature radio license.  
2015-8-5
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

The takeaway here that even the "Experienced RC/Private pilot"  failed to re-calibrate after firmware update and just went up. Cant expect perfect stability/flight when not following the guidelines. Even admitted all was well when re-calibrated. How is that DJI's fault?
2015-8-5
Use props
fac
New

United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-8-5 21:54
The takeaway here that even the "Experienced RC/Private pilot"  failed to re-calibrate after firmwar ...

Simple. For failing to indicate, recommend,  suggest, in writing..  That you must do a calibration on these system  etc..etc..etc.   after you run a firmware update.  It is not in the "how too" document.
2015-8-5
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just live and learn Fac, no need to blame others/DJI for you not knowing some common knowledge. The Firmware Update guide is NOT there to tell you to calibrate the compass. Its there to tell you how to update the firmware.
2015-8-5
Use props
fac
New

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-5 22:47
Just live and learn Fac, no need to blame others/DJI for you not knowing some common knowledge. The  ...

I don't about that "common knowledge"  some folks have not done calibration and when I did the previous firmware update , I did not calibrate  and it was working perfect. You will find many versions of this on the forums.

Blaming DJI is the proper thing to do, so that moving forward they update the documentation. I just posted what happened,  there is no mention you have to calibrate after a firmware update on the official guide.

My drone flies perfectly fine now.  I had no damage.. but if it would of been someone else.. things might have been different.

2015-8-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I did compass calibration and IMU calibration before every flight since nearly 3 years starting with the Phantom1. I would even say the IMU calibration is more important since it sets the gyro and accelerometer close to 0 and 1 again. Everytime you fly those values will get worse. But after a FW update it is a no brainter to do IMU and compass calibration. In the Naza days with older assistant software you had to do this otherwise it will show error messages on your desktop.I never had a crash or fly away. To be fair i always fly only 1 or max. 2 batteries. Sometimes i think that some fly aways are happening with the 3rd battery or with quads that had a slight hit to the ground.  
2015-8-5
Use props
Trilithon
lvl.2

United States

2015-8-5
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

wow so much great stuff fac, why are you flying a phantom 3 when you could have the matrice, clearly youre above us blebs
2015-8-5
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

fac@ratherby.co Posted at 2015-8-5 22:32
Simple. For failing to indicate, recommend,  suggest, in writing..  That you must do a calibration ...

Well you lucked out this time and maybe you learned something or maybe you didn't but let me ask you this, when you take your SR-20 GTS for a spin do you just hop in and take her up cause it should all just work and fly? Gotta think there is an extensive pre-flight checklist you have go through before takeoff. Same goes for these birds, their Aircraft and should be treated as such.You should know better being a 15 year RC veteran. Sorry to rag on you but you "Poked the Bear" here dude.
2015-8-5
Use props
miguel.ar.silva
lvl.1

Portugal

Dont know when guys stop thinking Phantom 3 is a expensive toy. It is a complex machine, made to be easy to fly.
From the moment you update your firmware, you need to know to follow some steps to keep stability in your system.

Compass calibration before every flight to make sure the system knows here it is on Earth.
Make sure to calibrate your sensors because on firmware upgrade they can be changed or reseted.

And most of all, after you take off, if feal that someting is not ok, LAND IMEDIATLY ( Nº 1 rule for flying.... ). After that...Check your system....Check you surrounding for electromagnetic interference that can take some effect on your compass  ( high voltage power lines, big iron structures,etc)

but in one point you are Wright, DJI should have put in manual that on every firmware upgrade it would be advised to calibrate every sensor....
2015-8-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

After firmware updates, I always do an IMU calibration and then a compass calibration.  
2015-8-5
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

fac@ratherby.co Posted at 2015-8-5 21:23

However, the wind was taking the phantom 3 aw ...

Man you blew it! Don't blame DJI for your own fault. And you are as you say your a real pilot, I should apologize to everyone for defending you because you did not follow protocol.
2015-8-5
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
United States

Told you..  I read it in his first post...  Fly away is just that..  Flying away with no control and helplessly  watching it go bye bye is a fly away!  The p3 switching modes is not a fly away.. It does that to stop it from flying away. If he was able to control the p3 it was doing what it needed to under the circumstances..  So read the manual it explains everything people just told you in your thread..  People like this that don't read a manual or real regulations are the ones going to get the governments putting bands on this hobby..  So all you people like that and you know who you are, I hope your copter gets lost so maybe you decide to read more instead of pulling it of the box and flying how ever relying on the p3 to keep itself safe!
2015-8-5
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
United States

P.s.  The manual doesn't say to calibrate the compass and Imu after a firmware upgrade, your right about that, but if you read more of the manual than just what covered 1 topic you were interested in you would have seen the manual does state to do these calibrations before every flying session.. Especially if flying at different locations.  
2015-8-5
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Cool the Cirrus is awesome - Where are you located
2015-8-5
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

I just installed HDMI module and did not have to rebind, I also upgraded firmware and flew without issue without any calibrations
2015-8-5
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-5 15:05
i have had 100+ flights and one compass cal before first flight, i have travelled over 400miles fr ...

A wise man . If it's not broken don't fix it
2015-8-5
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Where are you located, FAC?
2015-8-5
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-5 09:11
Can you revisit your location again and watch the sensors after you put the phantom where it took of ...

Not to mention - it seems to be the rule now - immediately after an update BEFORE FLIGHT revisit those specs and redo the calibrations. Wouldn't hurt to also check your RTH altitude settings.

Damn. That checklist just seems to keep getting bigger and bigger!
2015-8-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules