48MP photo and bracketing
3457 18 2022-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Mr6mCvMhQN2b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29101 ft
United Kingdom

New to DJI and drones.  Completed my first few flights (mostly sucessfully other than a tiny mishap).Still got lots to learn but such a great community out there especially YouTube which gave me so much confidence to start and so many tips on setting up and flying safely.

I'm into photography as well as video, and have taken a few nice pics as starters.

One thing Ive noticed, 48MP photo is its own separate menu item - rather than just a resolution setting - which prevents you from using other still frame options such as exposure bracketting.

If I'm doing something wrong, then perhaps someone more experienced can help.  If thats just the way it is, is there a place for making feature requests - hopefully DJI can address this in the future.  

48MP is quite laggy also on mine - I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB card but the display locks up for a good few secinds after a pic is taken, which is a bit disconcerting as you dont have a live picture from the drone during that time.

I faced a few other unrelated things that I shoudl post about separately:
- London Council's (Richmond Upon Thames) contradicting national UK legislation by blanket-banning all drones with outdated bylaws.  So you can't legay fly even in Open A1 category.
- ND filters.  Nice for video but not great for stills.  Thats a dilemma.  A built in ND that can be enabled/disbled remotely would have been much prefereable, even if it were just one value it would be better than nothing in many cases.
- Insects swarming the drone.  Yes it's really hot in London at the moment, but they stuck around the drone like glue, chasing it even when it was movign quickly (only C mode so far), and took a bit of cleaning afterwards!

2022-7-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Welcome to the hobby you are going to have so much fun!

Good choice using the 48MP mode it gives the best details. If it's like the Olympus SLR mode one image takes many exposures then combines them which may explain the delay but I'm not 100% on that.

You are right though the 48MP mode is to date exclusive to others so for AEB you have to manually do. If you are using the DJI RC you can allocate shutter speed changes to your right wheel so can take various exposures quite quickly.

I recommend using RAW & Jpeg mode then when you get in a tricky lighting situation you can use photoshop and Adobe camera Raw to get the best out of the DNG files. Photoshop is the best I have found for developing the Mini 3 Pro DNGs so far.

I hear Europe is having crazy Temps good luck with that and the insects :-)
2022-7-16
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 7-16 14:25
Welcome to the hobby you are going to have so much fun!

Good choice using the 48MP mode it gives the best details. If it's like the Olympus SLR mode one image takes many exposures then combines them which may explain the delay but I'm not 100% on that.

Just experiencing normal seasonal temperatures here in Las Vegas.  In fact we had some clouds and cooling today here.  Maximum temperature was down too 102F.
2022-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for sharing these information with us. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2022-7-16
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

BobWinNV Posted at 7-16 16:37
Just experiencing normal seasonal temperatures here in Las Vegas.  In fact we had some clouds and cooling today here.  Maximum temperature was down too 102F.

38 degrees celcius!! That's nuts not a happy place being outside in that! I'm surprised the Mini 3 Pro copes with no fan?  

Being in Las Vegas you'll be all over the Mead and Powell reservoirs?  Is it really as bad as I am reading and seeing on Youtube? Is it correct Hoover Dam is very close to not being able to produce power?

Quite unbelievable really...
2022-7-16
Use props
yannick_c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242946 ft
France

Would be cool to reduce the delay after shooting a 48MP and having the liveview back. I was trying to follow a boat and take pictures but when there 3-5 sec delay without liveview after taking the picture, it's impossible to do. Way too dangerous.

Would also be cool to also have bracketing and interval shooting with 48MP.
2022-7-17
Use props
djiuser_Mr6mCvMhQN2b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29101 ft
United Kingdom

So, sounds like it’s not true 48MP, but a ‘cheated’ (or rather processed) one? That’s a bit disappointing, didn’t realise that.
2022-7-17
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 7-16 22:46
38 degrees celcius!! That's nuts not a happy place being outside in that! I'm surprised the Mini 3 Pro copes with no fan?  

Being in Las Vegas you'll be all over the Mead and Powell reservoirs?  Is it really as bad as I am reading and seeing on Youtube? Is it correct Hoover Dam is very close to not being able to produce power?

I am on the other side of Las Vegas.  North Las Vegas actually and in the NorthWest right up against the mountains.  Yes reservoirs are low.   Normal capacity is 2,074 MW and it is currently 1,567 MW.
I was reading that the Federal Government will declare an official water shortage at Lake mead in August, which will result in large water cuts for Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.

This time of year I only fly in the early morning or at sunset and even at sunset I have to pay attention to temperatures and not hovering too much.
2022-7-17
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_Mr6mCvMhQN2b Posted at 7-17 02:44
So, sounds like it’s not true 48MP, but a ‘cheated’ (or rather processed) one? That’s a bit disappointing, didn’t realise that.

48MP is a single shot, not a multi shot like Olympus.
2022-7-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

SrMi Posted at 7-17 15:41
48MP is a single shot, not a multi shot like Olympus.

Do you know why it takes so long to take the images in 48MP mode?
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 7-16 22:46

Being in Las Vegas you'll be all over the Mead and Powell reservoirs?  Is it really as bad as I am reading and seeing on Youtube? Is it correct Hoover Dam is very close to not being able to produce power?

I should be seeing between 38 and 41C here in the UK today and tomorrow, hope my weather station doesn't melt, or the weather laptop that's in the lean too lol

It takes so long to save because of the size i would think, also, isn't it a Quad Bayer jobby 4x12 in to 1 to get the 48mp
2022-7-17
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 7-17 20:23
Do you know why it takes so long to take the images in 48MP mode?
The exposure takes the same time, as both 12MP and 48MP modes read all 48MP pixels. I have not measured it, but I think it takes longer to generate a 48MP file (re-interpret the data) than a 12MP one (binning).
Re-interpretation of Quad Bayer into Bayer is more complex than binning.
2022-7-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

SrMi Posted at 7-17 20:41
The exposure takes the same time, as both 12MP and 48MP modes read all 48MP pixels. I have not measured it, but I think it takes longer to generate a 48MP file (re-interpret the data) than a 12MP one (binning).
Re-interpretation of Quad Bayer into Bayer is more complex than binning.

Ok thanks well above my pay grade :-)
2022-7-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Bashy Posted at 7-17 20:40
I should be seeing between 38 and 41C here in the UK today and tomorrow, hope my weather station doesn't melt, or the weather laptop that's in the lean too lol

It takes so long to save because of the size i would think, also, isn't it a Quad Bayer jobby 4x12 in to 1 to get the 48mp

That is unbelievable for you Brits, Las Vegas yes they are probably used to it but UK??? I was over there 10 years or so ago and it got to 30 C and that was uncomfortable with the humidity but another 10 degrees on that is unimaginable! Find a good pool!
2022-7-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

BobWinNV Posted at 7-17 14:49
I am on the other side of Las Vegas.  North Las Vegas actually and in the NorthWest right up against the mountains.  Yes reservoirs are low.   Normal capacity is 2,074 MW and it is currently 1,567 MW.
I was reading that the Federal Government will declare an official water shortage at Lake mead in August, which will result in large water cuts for Mexico, Arizona and Nevada.

Not good with the water cuts especially if your livelihood depends on it sounding quite bleak. Good luck with that and I will so a rain dance for you, if you are like Australia you'll have years of drought and fires then be inundated with more water than you know what to do with!

Smart move flying at those times.
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 7-17 21:33
That is unbelievable for you Brits, Las Vegas yes they are probably used to it but UK??? I was over there 10 years or so ago and it got to 30 C and that was uncomfortable with the humidity but another 10 degrees on that is unimaginable! Find a good pool!

Yeah, its a different heat here than say the med or canary islands  where that's a lower humidity, so a dry heat, its certainly workable sunbathing, but not here, you're constantly dripping our pouring lol
2022-7-17
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 7-17 21:30
Ok thanks well above my pay grade :-)

This means I did not explain it well .
After an exposure is complete, the camera needs to process the image before it is stored.
Because of the Quad Bayer sensor, generating a 48MP DNG or JPG is more complicated than creating a 12MP image.
I assume/guess that the extra processing needed for 48MP files is what makes it take longer.
2022-7-18
Use props
yannick_c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242946 ft
France

Wouldn't be possible to still get the live view (even a degraded one) when the file is writing. Sometimes, it's dangerous when you are shooting and moving fast near obstacle.
2022-7-18
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

SrMi Posted at 7-18 06:34
This means I did not explain it well .
After an exposure is complete, the camera needs to process the image before it is stored.
Because of the Quad Bayer sensor, generating a 48MP DNG or JPG is more complicated than creating a 12MP image.

No all good thank you
2022-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules