14338 10 2022-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheElementNrOne
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21857 ft
Germany

Hello,

I was wondering what the meaning of the two holes at the top of the RC controller (for the DJI Mini 3 Pro) is? Is this just for cooling, or can they maybe be used to attach external antennas? Are external antennas even a thing you can do to extend the connectivity range of the RC controller?

Just FYI, I am from europe which are having the CE regulations.

Thanks!
2022-7-16
Use props
TopDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326191 ft

New Zealand

You can if you are willing to void your warranty
2022-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TheElementNrOne. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI Mini 3 Pro or any of its components like the DJI RC. There is a  possibility that these modification will work however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said battery when in use. In addition, using modified accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI Products and can cause trouble when on flight as well and can void the warranty of the DJI drone. Thank you and fly safe always.
2022-7-16
Use props
TheElementNrOne
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,

thank you for your replies.

I do not have the intention to modify the hardware in a way that is harmful for my warranty. My question was mainly out of curiosity, because I was wondering what these holes in the controller are used for. If they are intended by DJI to be used for external antennas then I have hope that they will also offer the product (antennas) to be used here in the near future.
2022-7-16
Use props
i00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81598 ft
Australia

TheElementNrOne Posted at 7-16 23:06
Hello,

thank you for your replies.

The real question is "why" - I saw a video (I think by Drone Tech Media) - and it compared the signal of the RC controller between the Mavic 3, and the Mini Pro 3... and the Mavic got close to 10KM where the Mini got < 2KM ...
So it appears that the real limitation is from the drone - not the controller!
Edit: I notice that you posted this under Mavic 3, but your profile lists that you have only a Mini 3?.. I assumed that you only had a Mini 3?
2022-9-1
Use props
TheElementNrOne
lvl.1
Germany

Hello, that was my bad, I was a bit confused back then if Mavic 3 and Mini 3 pro is the same thing or not.

Regarding the range I also saw some comparison videos were they used the same drone but compared different controllers including the black pro controller that has external antennas and that led also to a range differences most likely due to the antennas.

And my main question still is what the usage of these holes are. I still think that they are for connecting external antennas but I don't know.
2022-9-1
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

TheElementNrOne Posted at 2022-9-1 22:00
Hello, that was my bad, I was a bit confused back then if Mavic 3 and Mini 3 pro is the same thing or not.

Regarding the range I also saw some comparison videos were they used the same drone but compared different controllers including the black pro controller that has external antennas and that led also to a range differences most likely due to the antennas.
The small holes at the top is not for external antenna. Its just vent holes. To even add an external antenna you need to take the controller apart and modify it. You will need to drill 2 larger holes so you can add 2 external antenna. Ive seen folks do it on youtube but none really showed b4 and after test. So cant say adding external antenna will help or not. Only way is to try it yourself.
Screenshot_20230507_124638_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230507_124705_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230507_124823_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230507_124933_YouTube.jpg
2023-5-7
Use props
TheElementNrOne
lvl.1
Germany

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-7 09:45
The small holes at the top is not for external antenna. Its just vent holes. To even add an external antenna you need to take the controller apart and modify it. You will need to drill 2 larger holes so you can add 2 external antenna. Ive seen folks do it on youtube but none really showed b4 and after test. So cant say adding external antenna will help or not. Only way is to try it yourself.[Image]

Thank you for your answer. That the holes are for venting makes sense. Thank you also for mention that it could be done. At the moment I am still okay with the range of the drone, so for now I will not modify the controller.
2023-5-8
Use props
djiuser_FYvCAvmzf1A9
New

United States

Let me know if you try it, I am thinking of connecting a dual band booster then putting it up in a tree.... seems like a lot of work for maybe nothing
2023-7-7
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

TheElementNrOne Posted at 5-8 01:46
Thank you for your answer. That the holes are for venting makes sense. Thank you also for mention that it could be done. At the moment I am still okay with the range of the drone, so for now I will not modify the controller.

Here there is a video for installing external antenna on the RC..

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=293330
2023-7-7
Use props
TombRitual
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1213136 ft
United States

Yes, you can do it. I did it to my Smart RC and it does work yes, I got an extra mile or so out of it. But you have to use the correct pigtail connectors and you have to be good with building stuff. Im a metal fabricator
so I know how to build or fix pretty much anything. I have a machine shop with every tool I need. If you don't Id maybe skip it.
2023-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules