Can UgCS be used with the L1 and P1?
2633 2 2022-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Candarco
lvl.2

United States

Hello, I have a current challenging project that has proven difficult to approach. We intend to use an M300 drone, the L1 Lidar scanner, and the P1 camera to capture data in a redwood forest that is 100 percent GPS denied, no cell service of any type. The routes themselves have already been finished in UgCS, and are attached here in .json format.

My question is, how will the L1 know when to stop gathering data during the turns?

Another question is, is there any way to import the camera actions from UgCS to the M-300 Controller or UGCS tablet client?

It appears that the UgCS missions only export the waypoints themselves, not any vehicle settings. What is the best way to provide an M-300RTK with the neccessary flight planning info here?

This link is to another thread involving this same project - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2791321

UgCS Routes - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PrL4mnbO-rBdtTYeEr0PteHVKdxPhjjf?usp=sharing

Map of Area - https://drive.google.com/file/d/16HaYdonQ2hN-ufUsabS9kJS6A7JdUe0-/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all

2022-7-16
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

comment deleted
2022-7-17
Use props
mbuonanno
lvl.4

Italy

Hi Candarco,

I had a look of your files and your survey area.

The SURVEY AREA is quite complex from various points of view:
- it is a long irregular corridor (5000m long x 200m wide) along a creekbed
- as you said there is no cellular signal and poor GNSS signal
- the Sequoia sempervirens (redwood) trees are 250ft or more

On the other side:
- the creek valley is not very narrow and the height range betweeen the bottom of the creekbed and the boundary of the survey area is around 50m
- looking at 09/28/2021 Google Earth satellite image, it seams that not all the trees are evergreen and in most of the area the tree coverage is not 100%

From the PLANNING point of view this will require:
- to fly in a period of the year when most of the trees are without leaves;
- to use a DJI D-RTK2 Base Station positioned on a known coordinate point, positioned about in the middle of the corridor and at elevated position (e.g. on the ridge);
- to segment the survey in more than one mission to fly in VLOS; alternatively in theory you could also fly in BVLOS with some observers or other pilots along the corridor.

Furthermore I suggest you to do a high altitude (120m AGL) preliminary flight to generate a detailed DSM (GSD 0,5m or better) describing redwood maximum height in the survey area. This data will be imported in UgCS to plan a further mission using Terrain Following.
The preliminary flight can also be a single LiDAR CORRIDOR mission done with your own LiDAR.

About UgCS

Q: My question is, how will the L1 know when to stop gathering data during the turns?
A: It depends on the UgCS license you have got.
UgCS PRO only allows you to plan an AREA SCAN mission. In this case the best is to plan a LiDAR mission using the AREA SCAN mission in UgCS, export the route as a .KML file, import the .KML in DJI Pilot and set there the DJI Zenmuse L1 parameters. Export the UgCS route as KML file using the folowing settings: Format:"As placemarks"; Altitude: "Relative to the ground under the 1st waypoint"
UgCS Expert and Enterprise allow you to plan a LiDAR AREA or LiDAR CORRIDOR mission and in that case the LiDAR will start and stop by default at the beginning and the end of the LiDAR mission segment.
All license type can be bought as montly licenses.

Q: Another question is, is there any way to import the camera actions from UgCS to the M-300 Controller or UGCS tablet client?
A: the short aswer is NOT yet. UgCS is able to export the routes as PLACEMARKs (i.e. waypoints) with all ACTION settings (e.g. gimbal+camera) but DJI Pilot is NOT able to import the Actions (confirmed by Kristaps Brass, UgCS).

If you share a shapefile (WGS84) with the perimeter of the Red Creek survey area and you let me know the type of UgCS license you will use, I can prepare a draft mission for your study site.

Maurizio

2022-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules