What's the point of the DJI RC Pro SD Card??
25672 7 2022-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13897156 ft
Canada

I bought a DJI Mini 3 Pro.  Given the options available for a controller (ie: DJI RC Pro or the DJI N1 controller), I decided to get the DJI RC Pro.  A big factor for me was to "free" my mobile phone from the burden of holding DJI data (flight logs, cached images/videos and high quality images/videos).  My phone is great for my purposes, but I don't want it to be part of my drone activities, and moreover my experience with the Mini2 and N1 controller was that my phone didn't have sufficient free space to work with videos well.
Without a second thought, I got a large and fast SD card for the RC (as I did for the drone itself).  The slot was right there, and I naiively assumed that it would work the same as secondard storage on an Android phone would.  Now I realize that there seems to be no purpose for the SD card in the RC.  High quality images stay on the drone, but there's no way to move them to the RC.  As a result, the only way to preview images with the RC is to have the drone on and connected to the RC.  That doesn't work well given the drone battery is used, and also the drone overheats after a few minutes.  If I want to look at flight logs (on a computer), the official solution is to sync to the cloud from the RC, then sync to another device (my phone!).  I can then copy the logs from my phone to my computer.  This is crazy.  Why can't I just move the SD card from the RC to my computer and copy them directly??  Similarly, it would be great to copy the high quality images/videos to the RC and preview them there.  Instead of that, I am only able to either copy them to my mobile phone, or pull the drone SD card and read it on a computer.

I really don't understand why it's not possible to copy information (images, videos, flight logs) to the SD card.  Am I missing something?

2022-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The microSD card slot in the DJI RC is used to preview copies of the photos and videos that you have captured using your DJI Mini 3 Pro. While the microSD card placed on the DJI Mini 3 Pro Drone will save and record all photos and video clips in high quality. Thank you.
2022-7-16
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-16 19:04
Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. The microSD card slot in the DJI RC is used to preview copies of the photos and videos that you have captured using your DJI Mini 3 Pro. While the microSD card placed on the DJI Mini 3 Pro Drone will save and record all photos and video clips in high quality. Thank you.

Well, no images or videos are automatically being saved to the DJI RC SD card.  I am able to copy some image files, but for my video files, I get a message that only 1080p videos files can be copied.

As a result of the above, video files over 1080p are not viewable on the DJI RC unless the drone is powered on and connected to the remote.  As in my original post... this is not ideal given the battery and overheating issues.

Can this be fixed?  I'd like to:
1) Be able to copy any video or image file to the DJI RC SD card (preferably with quicktransfer)
2) Be able to copy flightlogs to the DJI RC SD card.

2022-7-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I get a message that only 1080p videos files can be copied"

Yes that is the limitation. This is the reason: Before this, the only secondary low image video was stored only on the device. Now it is stored on the RC. A slight improvement? Maybe, but better than none.
The bitrate required to copy the very high resolution video to the Rc is far over the capabiliy of the commucation link.

2022-7-16
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Canada

Is there a way to at least have the low res cached copies automatically saved to the RC SD card?  This would at least allow me to review video without the need for the drone to be powered on.  As it is now, I don't see any cache files on the DJI RC.
2022-7-17
Use props
sduck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

Yes - it's in the DJI Fly app, profile - settings - storage - set Current Storage Location to SD Card.
2022-7-17
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

with the RCO PRO which has already storage memory, it is option, but for another ones is needed (like a avaialbe store of your phne)
2022-7-17
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Canada

sduck Posted at 7-17 13:15
Yes - it's in the DJI Fly app, profile - settings - storage - set Current Storage Location to SD Card.

So I found my problem.  I had set the cache to "Auto", but no cache images were getting created on my controller.  I tried reformatting the (128G class 3) card but it didn't change anything.  I then tried changing the cache setting to "16G" instead of auto, and it is now creating cached low-res video files.
Can anyone else confirm this bug?
2022-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules