Mini 3 Pro Active Track Control Loss Over Water
3067 14 2022-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all, I've recently purchased the mini 3 Pro and I'm impressed with the features and image quality.  Today I updated the firmware on both the aircraft and RC and headed off to a nice local park with a lake. There was a fellow on a stand up paddle board and I asked him if I could practice filming him to which he agreed. Not having used active track much on any of my drones including my Inspire 2, I was keen to give it a go. At first all was well but then all of a sudden the gimbal pitched straight down at the water and just stayed there and I was unable to fly the drone in any direction except for up and down. The drone was still in visual range but with not being able to pitch the gimbal back up with either the pitch wheel or the switch I was getting nervous. In the end I activated the return to home button and the drone ascended and started coming home when I cancelled the rth and was able to manually fly safely back to me. Has anyone else experienced this or was it operator error ?
p.s. I forgot to mention that just prior to take off I got a "gimbal overload" message which popped up briefly and disappeared and didn't come back on again.  

2022-7-16
Use props
TopDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326191 ft

United States

That does sound like a strange issue. Maybe you need to upload your last flight log of that incident to the link below and then post that link back here once uploaded. Someone will be able to read your log and assist you further.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2022-7-16
Use props
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

TopDrones Posted at 7-16 18:16
That does sound like a strange issue. Maybe you need to upload your last flight log of that incident to the link below and then post that link back here once uploaded. Someone will be able to read your log and assist you further.

Thanks I might do that.  I’m heading out again this afternoon and will put it through its paces to see if I can replicate the fault.
2022-7-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Scary, perhaps the pause button would have pulled you out of AT mode?
2022-7-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Stuminator. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know before having this issue. Was there a hard landing or a crash that happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. For reference I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181878
2022-7-16
Use props
TopDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326191 ft

United States

Stuminator Posted at 7-16 18:22
Thanks I might do that.  I’m heading out again this afternoon and will put it through its paces to see if I can replicate the fault.

Sure, hopefully it was just a once off issues
2022-7-16
Use props
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-16 18:55
Hello there Stuminator. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know before having this issue. Was there a hard landing or a crash that happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. For reference I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181878

Thanks Stephen, no hard landings ever on this machine.
2022-7-17
Use props
fanse92f794f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18491 ft
Netherlands

...p.s. I forgot to mention that just prior to take off I got a "gimbal  overload" message which popped up briefly and disappeared and didn't  come back on again.

You didn't attached any kind of ND filter on the cam?

2022-7-17
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Werent you at low battery aswell?
2022-7-17
Use props
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

fanse92f794f Posted at 7-17 02:08
...p.s. I forgot to mention that just prior to take off I got a "gimbal  overload" message which popped up briefly and disappeared and didn't  come back on again.  

No ND filter
2022-7-17
Use props
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

fateofangel Posted at 7-17 03:36
Werent you at low battery aswell?

I had just taken off with a full battery.
2022-7-17
Use props
fanse92f794f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18491 ft
Netherlands

Ok,...
m3p took off from a flat surface? so not any obstacles (like grass or something similar) that could  jam the gimbal while powering on? (Dont get me wrong...I'm trying to help)
2022-7-17
Use props
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

fanse92f794f Posted at 7-17 04:08
Ok,...
m3p took off from a flat surface? so not any obstacles (like grass or something similar) that could  jam the gimbal while powering on? (Dont get me wrong...I'm trying to help)

Thanks I appreciate the assistance. Took off on a clean concrete surface.  The active track was working fine  and then the next thing it’s looking at the water and hovering in the one place. If it happens again I’ll press the pause button because by activating the RTH and then cancelling it I was able to gain full control.
2022-7-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Stuminator Posted at 7-17 05:06
Thanks I appreciate the assistance. Took off on a clean concrete surface.  The active track was working fine  and then the next thing it’s looking at the water and hovering in the one place. If it happens again I’ll press the pause button because by activating the RTH and then cancelling it I was able to gain full control.

if you like postt the log for this issue

cheers
JJB
2022-7-17
Use props
Volans
New

Germany

Hi,

I lost my Mini 3 Pro two weeks ago in Norway while I was in Active Track mode above water. I was on a stand up paddle board with my son and the drone was following us for about 5 minutes without any issues. Then I saw that there where overhead line ca. 50m in front of us, so I turned the board 180° and went in the opposite direction. As soon as the drone turned 180° too, it descened under 0.

Unfortunately I was not able to find it again. But I noticed that the first 5 minutes the sun was in front of us, so that the drone saw the sky/clouds reflected in the water. After we turned 180°, the sun was behind us, so that there were not that much sky reflection but you were able to see through the water.

I bet I could reproduce the failure and there are major problems with the sensors/water/sun.

Edit: I just read the post from Stephen. I didn't deactivate the vision positioning function before the flight. Maybe the detection of water doesnt work every time? I don't know.

2022-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules