forgetting the foam is in there still....
12Next >
4038 70 2022-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As the title says, have you done that yet? I thought i would share what i did, maybe you will come up with something too
I know for a fact that i would forget at some time or another so i had to come up with a way to remember, the quick and easy way was with a red rubber band hanging down, see image. I chose a rubber band for one main reason, unlike to scratch or cause rubbing marks. I did sommat similar for the P4P Gimbal cover, but that was with an old red handle from a tesco carrier bag. Hope it helps at least 1 of you forgetful (me included) folk

Screenshot 2022-07-18 044218.png
Screenshot 2022-07-18 044142.png
Screenshot 2022-07-18 044100.png
2022-7-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Good idea, I admit that I am also guilty of forgetting the foam in there once or twice
2022-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bashy. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. This is very innovative. Great idea and keep flying. .
2022-7-17
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why would you reinsert the foam after initial unpacking? I do not think it is meant to be reused as there is no mention of it in the manual.
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-17 20:46
Why would you reinsert the foam after initial unpacking? I do not think it is meant to be reused as there is no mention of it in the manual.

Its not meant to be used, its an accidental accessory, for the older version of the gimbal cover the foam reinserted steadies the gimbal so as to aid refitting the gimbal guard easier. for the later version of the gimbal guard, whilst its much easier to put on, this in turn leaves allows the gimbal some movement, something i do not like at all, hence reinserting the foam, Hope that helps?
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 7-17 20:04
Good idea, I admit that I am also guilty of forgetting the foam in there once or twice

Thanks, if you sommat different, please show it off as it might be easier or better or both lol
2022-7-17
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Now you just need a giant tag that says REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT dangling from the rubber band.

Next time you happen to be near an airport for small airplanes, take a walk around and notice how many have aircraft plugs, external control-locks, and other items which, if inadvertently left on, would cause the plane to quickly crash. They all have big, dangling signs that say REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT, the bigger the better (so impossible to overlook).
2022-7-17
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

I used to use the foam to ease putting the old style cover on.
But I have stopped using it because of this very concern.

Now, I find that putting the old style cover is very easy when I place the drone vertically.
Maybe you can consider buying an old style cover from Aliexpress?    Using the foam is a bit of a nuisance, I found.
2022-7-17
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 7-17 20:55
Its not meant to be used, its an accidental accessory, for the older version of the gimbal cover the foam reinserted steadies the gimbal so as to aid refitting the gimbal guard easier. for the later version of the gimbal guard, whilst its much easier to put on, this in turn leaves allows the gimbal some movement, something i do not like at all, hence reinserting the foam, Hope that helps?

Thank you for the explanation.
2022-7-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only did it the once, but that was a sufficient warning.  Good tip about the rubber bands.
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-17 21:45
Thank you for the explanation.

No worries
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-17 21:58
I only did it the once, but that was a sufficient warning.  Good tip about the rubber bands.

Not yet for me on the Mini 2 or 3, but i think that was the mistake on the Phantom, forgetting about it on a few occasions thus leading to me having to replace the gimbal motor(s) cant remember if i replaced one or 2. so i got ahead on this one, didn't need to do out for the Mini 2 as there was no need, if you forgot the guard on that then you need a Guide dog lol
2022-7-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh,    I thought the foam was in the gimbal guard,  I didnt realise it slotted behind the gimbal.    Now that is a PITA
2022-7-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-17 23:01
Not yet for me on the Mini 2 or 3, but i think that was the mistake on the Phantom, forgetting about it on a few occasions thus leading to me having to replace the gimbal motor(s) cant remember if i replaced one or 2. so i got ahead on this one, didn't need to do out for the Mini 2 as there was no need, if you forgot the guard on that then you need a Guide dog lol

Ah, I remember now onetime I flew the P4 with the foam in place. It didn't go well, but the drone survived and landed safely,
And now just the onetime with the Mini3 but I realised before takeoff.
2022-7-17
Use props
MavicMike1955
lvl.2
Flight distance : 915669 ft
  • >>>
United States

You really don't need to use the foam.  Just be very careful when installing the gimbal cover.  It is really quite easy once you do it a few times.  
2022-7-17
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28641640 ft
  • >>>
United States

MavicMike1955 Posted at 7-17 23:13
You really don't need to use the foam.  Just be very careful when installing the gimbal cover.  It is really quite easy once you do it a few times.

I agree, I used the foam for the first few days and that was it.
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MavicMike1955 Posted at 7-17 23:13
You really don't need to use the foam.  Just be very careful when installing the gimbal cover.  It is really quite easy once you do it a few times.

Its certainly needed if you have version 2 of the guard, the gimbal has free movement inside the guard
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-17 23:07
Ah, I remember now onetime I flew the P4 with the foam in place. It didn't go well, but the drone survived and landed safely,
And now just the onetime with the Mini3 but I realised before takeoff.

You know what, i am VERY surprise that dji doesn't put a check in place during the initial startup, the gimbal goes through a procedure then so it must know it cannot move lol,  i suppose there will be something when airborne as it normally you get gimbal errors, well, i think the P4P did, not sure about these new ones
2022-7-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-17 23:39
You know what, i am VERY surprise that dji doesn't put a check in place during the initial startup, the gimbal goes through a procedure then so it must know it cannot move lol,  i suppose there will be something when airborne as it normally you get gimbal errors, well, i think the P4P did, not sure about these new ones

Even with all the safety checks, as we see from the many tales of woe published on the forum, they're not idiot-proof
2022-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-17 23:47
Even with all the safety checks, as we see from the many tales of woe published on the forum, they're not idiot-proof

Yeah, ya right there, though you would have though the gimbal would be there with the initial drone startup, any suggestion for them later
2022-7-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-18 00:14
Yeah, ya right there, though you would have though the gimbal would be there with the initial drone startup, any suggestion for them later

There really isn't any substitute for pre-flight checks, I suppose.
2022-7-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-18 00:23
There really isn't any substitute for pre-flight checks, I suppose.

Without a doubt, shouldn't have been overlooked, hopefully it can be rectified
2022-7-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-18 02:03
Without a doubt, shouldn't have been overlooked, hopefully it can be rectified

2022-7-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very innovative Bashy.    No doubt you will not miss removing the foam before a flight with that red dangling down.  You can never have too many safety reminders. So I don't forget to remove the foam I pull it out as soon as the gimbal cover is removed.   
2022-7-18
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384698 ft
United States

There are two different versions of the gimbal cover for the M3P?  

How do you know which one that you have?
2022-7-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfbd2311f Posted at 7-19 01:57
There are two different versions of the gimbal cover for the M3P?  

How do you know which one that you have?

The original one has ribs inside around the camera (A),  the newer version has no ribs inside (B).  

2022-7-19
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-19 03:11
The original one has ribs inside around the camera (A),  the newer version has no ribs inside (B).  

[view_image]

Mine was manufactured in 5/22 with style B. Though I haven't tried turning it on with the cover still on.
Is there any other differences besides the 2 fins in the middle?
2022-7-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-17 20:46

I agree. Once you have used the drone a few times you get the knack of putting on the gimbal cover. The piece of foam whether with a band or not is just additional faff and after a short while you will stop using it

A solution to a perceived problem that does not exist
2022-7-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For some that do not have a Scooby Doo (clue) and are just trolling my own thread, the foam IS NEEDED for version 2 of the gimbal guard, but they wouldn't know why because they have the older version, old Mr know it all knows nothing, he should stick with his electricity, he's good at.... oh wait, no he's not, perhaps he should explain why 1080 is better quality than 4k cause he failed to do that.
2022-7-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

this is ridiculous
2022-7-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which part?
2022-7-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was not aware that any one owned a thread

I was also not aware that DJI said you should keep using the foam on either gimbal guard. Didn’t see that in the instructions anywhere. Just more faff as I said putting it on and off
2022-7-19
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 7-19 08:48
For some that do not have a Scooby Doo (clue) and are just trolling my own thread, the foam IS NEEDED for version 2 of the gimbal guard, but they wouldn't know why because they have the older version, old Mr know it all knows nothing, he should stick with his electricity, he's good at.... oh wait, no he's not, perhaps he should explain why 1080 is better quality than 4k cause he failed to do that.

Can you explain why it is needed? If it is needed, why is DJI not recommending it anywhere?
2022-7-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-19 10:20
Can you explain why it is needed? If it is needed, why is DJI not recommending it anywhere?

Quite it isn’t needed
2022-7-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-19 10:20

I have already explained why but again, with the new v2 guard, the gimbal has free movement inside the guard, again, it moves about in the guard, so the foam is needed to stop it it moving about.

If you have the original version then this does not apply to you...
2022-7-19
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 7-19 10:28
I have already explained why but again, with the new v2 guard, the gimbal has free movement inside the guard, again, it moves about in the guard, so the foam is needed to stop it it moving about.

If you have the original version then this does not apply to you...

Why is that a problem that it moves around? It does not hurt the gimbal.
2022-7-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 7-19 11:24

The camera is pretty much the most expensive part on the drone, rattles, knocks and bangs will not aid its longevity.

Why do you think that all DJI drones have a gimbal guard that actually prevent the camera from moving, not just the gimbal?

The reason DJI did version 2 was for 2 reasons, 1 because folks complained it was hard to install it and 2, because folks suggested free movement when the drone was used only for transfer.

The result is what we have now, if you don't need the foam because either you have v1 or you have v2 but not interested in the idea, that's 100% fine, it's a choice is all, not requisite.
2022-7-19
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

SrMi Posted at 7-19 11:24

are you sure?
2022-7-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did DJI intend the foam for more than shipping packing
2022-7-19
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 7-19 11:40
The camera is pretty much the most expensive part on the drone, rattles, knocks and bangs will not aid its longevity.

Why do you think that all DJI drones have a gimbal guard that actually prevent the camera from moving, not just the gimbal?

Agreed that it is a choice. I misunderstood what you meant by "the foam is needed."
In my book, inserting/removing the packaging foam could do more damage than help.
2022-7-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules