Accidental crash
3561 22 2022-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MiniAddict
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello folks,

First time posting here and it isn’t exactly great news! I was enjoying flying the Mini 3 Pro yesterday afternoon in this great sunny weather until I accidentally collided with a branch on a tree while I was looking confused when I seen the compass on the RC wasn’t positioned correctly on the screen.

It fell just from roughly 3.4ft and the drone immediately shut down before I got a ‘motor overload’ message on the screen. I also was screen recording at this point too. I turned the controller off and then turned it back on and then switched on the drone and everything connected and powered up without any warning messages. I then deployed the drone to make sure if it was still working and thankfully it still does!

However, I’ve now noticed there is some damage to one of the front corners of the drone. I’ve tried to clip it back in but considering how fragile the drone feels I’m a little worried incase I make it worse or damage it completely.

Any advice? Unfortunately I do not have DJI Refresh Care but now I’m wishing I did!

Thanks
EDIT: I forgot to mention that while I was screen recording before it shut down, I noticed there was no video recording stored on the controller. Is this normal? I would've thought the drone powering off wouldn't have a knock on effect with the controller recording.
A0737F0E-F35E-4A5D-9E50-AB77E706F22B.jpeg
6D552704-5F26-4B99-83C8-D30364F49F31.jpeg
0D26D028-A0B5-423F-8A6F-D7904DEEF68C.jpeg
E66B68D9-6E5A-406A-A59B-FD6CD7223B8E.jpeg
2022-7-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

sorry about your crash.  i think it looks like you'll need to repair that little bit of minor damage before taking serious flight.
2022-7-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm sure that's not the experience you were hoping for. Commiserations. Looks like a return for repair.  Hope you paid for care refresh.
2022-7-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a look at the Mini 3 dismantling/teardown videos on youtube ( note videoS plural, not single, not all you tubers should make dismantling videos) and you might be able to figure out how to refit that cover.
From memory of those videos I think it is just clipped on, with no screws involved.
If that is correct it may be better to remove it entirely, then check that any/all screws anchoring the gimbal a correctly located and then refit the cover but refit it 'squarely' rather than try to replace it from its current cockeyed position.
2022-7-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bumps and bruises are a normal part of the drone hobby.  Sometimes you have a good long run of good luck where everything is smooth, but reality looks a heck of a lot like your pictures for most of us.  My suggestion, become familiar with the repair process, how to ship in for service, etc.  It's a process that is worth knowing inside and out because you will need it again.  

On the plus side, I had a M2P that was very high use, and just started failing me in many respects.  I sent it in, got a replacement, and feel like life is fresh again.  : )

2022-7-18
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like a easy fix seeing as the clips have not broken off.
2022-7-18
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It looks like its just needs popping back in, its just a cover. See this clip from a teardown video. Just make sure the clips are n't broken. Bit of luck you'll be back in air very quickly.

The video recording was n't closed properly, always need to stop recording before switching off.

See at 5:30 minutes on the next video.

2022-7-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One point can you post a photo of the other front arm, comparable to the 3rd or 4th photos .......for comparison? The arm shown seems to be very close to the front body work.
2022-7-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-7-18
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you fixit ? Others can learn from all of us on the forum, we need to know if you popped it back or sent to DJI ???
2022-7-21
Use props
MiniAddict
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for reaching out to me, your help and recommendations have been very helpful! I was also away for 2 days and didn’t have much time to respond to your replies.

The 2 days I was away I was still using the drone in the same condition as above. I must’ve done 27 flights and averaged about 23 miles. I also recorded several master-shots along with numerous screen recordings. I also recalibrated everything after the accidental crash and ran diagnostics on the sensors and everything seems to be fine. I don’t think the crash has damaged anything internally considering the usage I got from it in the last 2 days.

I have followed up with the videos you all provided and have tried once more to remove the leg cover and put it back in but it doesn’t seem to budge at all and I’m worried I do more damage to the cover; possibly glued on?

I’m in two mind state’s: Send it to DJI and wait 1/ 2 weeks or head to a drone repair shop considering it’s just the leg cover…
2022-7-21
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

@MiniAddict

Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention that while I was screen recording before it shut down, I noticed there was no video recording stored on the controller. Is this normal? I would've thought the drone powering off wouldn't have a knock on effect with the controller recording.
/Quote

Suffered the same one time. Seems you have to manually stop recording before shutting down the RC to get the file system updated. Obviously the RC OS does not do this by itself, perhaps shutting down is considered highest priority and file system operations are stopped at once.

2022-7-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniAddict Posted at 7-21 11:43
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for reaching out to me, your help and recommendations have been very helpful! I was also away for 2 days and didn’t have much time to respond to your replies.

It's not a leg cover. I think it acts as a cover for a stranded cable running into the camera and it probably gives support to the gimbal mounting point on that side.

Given that there appears to be no screws involved I would, if you have a reputable repairer nearby, be inclined to take it to them as ask if they are allowed to just refit the cover and if so what they would charge. They might even be able to do it there and then.

Oh the attached is the best screen capture os the insides of the cover, I think its from the wrong side but it may be of some use, it look like they are mirror images of one another.

Screenshot from 2022-07-21 21-10-59.png
2022-7-21
Use props
djiuser_SMvZqsM3pAHv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1083 ft
Canada

Hello, I just tried sport mode and as a newbie I was in my back yard, ran into my house 8’ off the ground and it fell to concrete. Replaced 2 busted propellers but now there is a buzzing noise when turned on. No cosmetic damage and it seems to fly ok but there is a buzzing sound. When I rotate the drone in my hand side to side or upside down the buzzing stops. Any thoughts? It didn’t buzz before the crash.
So, the buzzing noise is coming from the gimble, if I lightly touch it the buzz stops. Could it be repaired or does it have to be replaced?
2022-7-29
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

it not look that bad, what was the cost without DJI Care?
2022-7-30
Use props
fans83686d4d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90394 ft
United States

DocSavage Posted at 7-18 08:29
Looks like a easy fix seeing as the clips have not broken off.

Looks like an easy fix.
2022-7-30
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 688652 ft
Australia

Sorry to hear. Although it doesn't help you now; I wouldn't fly without Care Refreah - it is really worth it.

Having written off 3 Air 2Ss in crashes I've learned that the final video is usually corrupted, but I have been able to fix them. Strange that yours didn't record one.
Are you sure it was recording at the time?

2022-7-30
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Australia

djiuser_SMvZqsM3pAHv Posted at 7-29 20:33
Hello, I just tried sport mode and as a newbie I was in my back yard, ran into my house 8’ off the ground and it fell to concrete. Replaced 2 busted propellers but now there is a buzzing noise when turned on. No cosmetic damage and it seems to fly ok but there is a buzzing sound. When I rotate the drone in my hand side to side or upside down the buzzing stops. Any thoughts? It didn’t buzz before the crash.
So, the buzzing noise is coming from the gimble, if I lightly touch it the buzz stops. Could it be repaired or does it have to be replaced?

Do you mean while the props are turning? If so, the most likely one of the motors. It it's a motor, I wouldn't fly it; it's an accident waiting to happen - you could lose the drone and do some damage to people or property.
When working on car engines I use a screwdriver to locate the source of a noise. I press the handle of the screw driver to my ear and touch parts of the engine with the other, and you can hear very clearly.
if the props aren't turning then it might be a CPU cooling fan. In which case the drone would be in danger of overheating.
Best to get it checked out
2022-7-30
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

ReproRetro Posted at 7-30 17:06
Do you mean while the props are turning? If so, the most likely one of the motors. It it's a motor, I wouldn't fly it; it's an accident waiting to happen - you could lose the drone and do some damage to people or property.
When working on car engines I use a screwdriver to locate the source of a noise. I press the handle of the screw driver to my ear and touch parts of the engine with the other, and you can hear very clearly.
if the props aren't turning then it might be a CPU cooling fan. In which case the drone would be in danger of overheating.

I think you can safely eliminate the cooling fan as a source of any problem because there isn't any...
2022-7-30
Use props
DreamWorks
lvl.2

Netherlands

djiuser_SMvZqsM3pAHv Posted at 7-29 20:33
Hello, I just tried sport mode and as a newbie I was in my back yard, ran into my house 8’ off the ground and it fell to concrete. Replaced 2 busted propellers but now there is a buzzing noise when turned on. No cosmetic damage and it seems to fly ok but there is a buzzing sound. When I rotate the drone in my hand side to side or upside down the buzzing stops. Any thoughts? It didn’t buzz before the crash.

Could be the ribbon cable or 1 of the motor, parts may not be readily available, if it was me, i would give the gimbal a wee flick or 2. I suspect you may have to send it in though.
2022-7-30
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Australia

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-30 17:25
I think you can safely eliminate the cooling fan as a source of any problem because there isn't any...

Yes it does!

If you power up the Air 2S, but without the props spinning, you can hear it running.
And this is one one looks like.
2022-7-31
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

ReproRetro Posted at 7-31 17:51
Yes it does!

If you power up the Air 2S, but without the props spinning, you can hear it running.

The  OP is talking about Mini 3 Pro and this is Mini 3 forum so I assumed you were talking about Mini 3 not air 2s. I concede Drones do have fans but not mini 3...
2022-7-31
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Australia

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-31 18:05
The  OP is talking about Mini 3 Pro and this is Mini 3 forum so I assumed you were talking about Mini 3 not air 2s. I concede Drones do have fans but not mini 3...

My apologies, I lost track
2022-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules