1.6.9. update for RC - OA and compass observations
744 11 2022-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384698 ft
United States

I am posting this in the DJI RC product as it may have something to do with the latest update to 1.6.9. update to the RC.  I did not test the OA from the 1.6.8. version of the RC so I am not commenting on that.

Here are my observations regarding the obstacle avoidence (or lack thereof) for the 1.6.9. update to the DJI RC.  It had been observed by others that the aircraft would just "brake" and not "bypass" while recording in 4K60 after updating the RC.  

I updated this morning and ran a test as well.  My findings are that the behavior indicated above is as also observed in 4K50, 4K48, and 2.7K60, 2.7K50, and 2.7K48.  The lower frame rates of 30, 25, and 24 (the ones that are marked "HD" on the remote), as well as all of the 1080 frame rates. were "bypassing" obstacles while recording.

I personally did not notice any compass fluctuations as others have observed.  I did not experience the RC locking up as I did yesterday while still on 1.6.8., however that had only happened once since I had owned the drone.

I am new to all of this, so forgive me if I am leaving out anything you feel to be pertinent to this reporting.  

Thanks.

2022-7-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.  At least you aren't having the compass issues.  
2022-7-20
Use props
onymar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 564400 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is by design, see the following extract from the M3P PDF:-

APAS is disabled when using Intelligent Flight Modes.
It will be enabled automatically once the aircraft exits Intelligent Flight Modes.
APAS is disabled when recording at a high resolution such as 1080p 120 fps, 2.7K 48/50/60 fps, or 4K 48/50/60 fps.
2022-7-20
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
United States

onymar Posted at 7-20 06:31
This is by design, see the following extract from the M3P PDF:-

APAS is disabled when using Intelligent Flight Modes.

I wasn't using an intelligent flight mode at the time of testing.  
2022-7-20
Use props
onymar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 564400 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfbd2311f Posted at 7-20 07:22
I wasn't using an intelligent flight mode at the time of testing.

See the line in RED, optical avoidance is disabled in any high frame rate video modes.
2022-7-20
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
United States

onymar Posted at 7-20 08:17
See the line in RED, optical avoidance is disabled in any high frame rate video modes.

Ahh yes, you were referring to the red text! Understood, so probably not a flaw.  However, some had reported that APAS was working in high frame rate in earlier firmware.  Maybe they were mistaken...
2022-7-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for sharing these information and your valued observations on the new DJI RC ( DJI Fly App Android : v1.6.9 ). For additional reference I will post what is new and updated to this new version below. Thank you.

• Added support to identify the speed of the SD card. SD cards with a slower speed rating than UHS-I Speed Grade 3 are not supported.
• Fixed issue: Screen flickering appeared when previewing photos and videos in playback.
• Fixed issue: System crashed after extended use in some scenarios.
• Fixed some minor bugs.
2022-7-20
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfbd2311f Posted at 7-20 08:27
Ahh yes, you were referring to the red text! Understood, so probably not a flaw.  However, some had reported that APAS was working in high frame rate in earlier firmware.  Maybe they were mistaken...

Nope they were not mistaken, it did work in previous firmware.
2022-7-21
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 7-21 01:38
Nope they were not mistaken, it did work in previous firmware.

So even stranger...  The manual says it doesn't work, but it does work in one RC firmware, then removed in the subsequent firmware.  

I posted the same topic in DJI Forum and someone there replied saying they think that the reason the OA is disabled at  high frame rates was a heat thing.  Maybe DJI was trying to enable the functionality, but after further testing thought better of it.
2022-7-21
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansfbd2311f Posted at 7-21 01:59
So even stranger...  The manual says it doesn't work, but it does work in one RC firmware, then removed in the subsequent firmware.  

I posted the same topic in DJI Forum and someone there replied saying they think that the reason the OA is disabled at  high frame rates was a heat thing.  Maybe DJI was trying to enable the functionality, but after further testing thought better of it.

I think maybe we are getting "APAS" and "OA" confused. "OA" has always worked, "APAS" has fluctuated through the firmware progression.
2022-7-21
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 7-21 02:22
I think maybe we are getting "APAS" and "OA" confused. "OA" has always worked, "APAS" has fluctuated through the firmware progression.

I thought it was the APAS system that did the OA bypass trick.  So isn't it related?  Forgive me if I'm missing something here, as I am new to this...
2022-7-21
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

No need to apologize. APAS does in fact control bypass. However, at one point when set to "Bypass" the aircraft would come to an abject and simply "Brake." Skip to 24:00' for a better explanation.   

2022-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules