Red spots on video feed and footage
1782 14 2022-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_erhvOS7VOP9w
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78629 ft
United Kingdom

I've had the mini 3 pro for about a week now and ever since I first powered it on I've had red spots show up on the screen of the DJI RC. I always just thought it was some transmission artifact or something as it didn't appear in video footage. But today I tried 4k 60 fps for the first time (I've always just used 4k 30 fps) and when I watched the footage back the red dots appeared in the footage.

I've tried changing the codec and tried in normal colour and D-cinelike but the only thing that seems to stop it is if I film at 30 fps or less. I've not tried any other frame rates or resolutions though. The dots also only appear in certain areas of the image. Another strange thing is that the dots appear in all video footage (even at 30 fps) if I watch the footage back on the DJI RC controller. I'm worried it's the sensor but not sure exactly what is causing it. In the pic below you can see the dots however during playing these move around as if it's image noise. I've not been able to find anyone else with the same issue. I'm just hoping it's a software problem and not hardware.

dots.png
2022-7-20
Use props
PAROINA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3279160 ft
United States

A few comments: 1) Are you only seeing this while playing back on the RC controller? Are the dots not there while playing on a smartphone or computer? 2) Are you shooting in PRO mode and happen to have the ISO cranked way up? If so, set to AUTO or change it to something lower and see what happens. 3) Try a completely different SD card. And by different, I mean different brand and/or specifications.
2022-7-20
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

PAROINA Posted at 7-20 15:01
A few comments: 1) Are you only seeing this while playing back on the RC controller? Are the dots not there while playing on a smartphone or computer? 2) Are you shooting in PRO mode and happen to have the ISO cranked way up? If so, set to AUTO or change it to something lower and see what happens. 3) Try a completely different SD card. And by different, I mean different brand and/or specifications.

1) I see this on the RC controller during the live video feed from when I first turned it on, I've never been bothered by it as I've never seen the dots in the video files until today where for the first time since having the drone I put it into 4k 60 FPS and only then can I see the dots when playing it back on my laptop. Although when playing back on the controller it seems to happen regardless of fps. I've also tried at 1080p 120 fps and there's no red dots when playing back on the laptop. 2) in this instance I was in pro mode but had iso at 200, however, I have played with the settings and nothing helps except increasing the exposure as it seems to be darker areas where the dots appear. 3) Have tried a different sd card but still have the same issue.

Edit: I've just uploaded a clip to youtube but the red dots aren't there. Maybe it's some encoding issue that goes away when the file is converted? (hasn't finished uploading in HD yet though).
2022-7-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PAROINA Posted at 7-20 15:01
A few comments: 1) Are you only seeing this while playing back on the RC controller? Are the dots not there while playing on a smartphone or computer? 2) Are you shooting in PRO mode and happen to have the ISO cranked way up? If so, set to AUTO or change it to something lower and see what happens. 3) Try a completely different SD card. And by different, I mean different brand and/or specifications.

The SD card has absolutely no effect on the quality of image stored.
2022-7-20
Use props
PAROINA
lvl.4
United States

mikesaa309 Posted at 7-20 15:52
1) I see this on the RC controller during the live video feed from when I first turned it on, I've never been bothered by it as I've never seen the dots in the video files until today where for the first time since having the drone I put it into 4k 60 FPS and only then can I see the dots when playing it back on my laptop. Although when playing back on the controller it seems to happen regardless of fps. I've also tried at 1080p 120 fps and there's no red dots when playing back on the laptop. 2) in this instance I was in pro mode but had iso at 200, however, I have played with the settings and nothing helps except increasing the exposure as it seems to be darker areas where the dots appear. 3) Have tried a different sd card but still have the same issue.

Edit: I've just uploaded a clip to youtube but the red dots aren't there. Maybe it's some encoding issue that goes away when the file is converted? (hasn't finished uploading in HD yet though).

Almost like the Peaking function for focus. It puts little red dots all over the video feed for manual focusing, but it does not record the dots in the video itself. Are the red dots there if you take just a standard photo? Are you in H.264 or H.265 when shooting video?
2022-7-20
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

PAROINA Posted at 7-20 18:57
Almost like the Peaking function for focus. It puts little red dots all over the video feed for manual focusing, but it does not record the dots in the video itself. Are the red dots there if you take just a standard photo? Are you in H.264 or H.265 when shooting video?

Does look similar although I have the focus peaking off and I'm using AF. Was using H.265 as it locks to that when using 4k 60 FPS.
2022-7-20
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Wow... my web browser totally butchers images.

Looks to me like it is some kind of focus tracking or similar. The areas where the dots appear are quite specific.
2022-7-20
Use props
PAROINA
lvl.4
United States

mikesaa309 Posted at 7-20 18:59
Does look similar although I have the focus peaking off and I'm using AF. Was using H.265 as it locks to that when using 4k 60 FPS.

Ah, I've never used the H.265 codec yet. I'll have to try it and see what mine does once the sun comes back up. Are you using D-CINE or STANDARD?
2022-7-20
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

CineDude Posted at 7-20 19:08
Wow... my web browser totally butchers images.

Looks to me like it is some kind of focus tracking or similar. The areas where the dots appear are quite specific.

It's mainly in dark areas, it gets worse if the image is under-exposed.
2022-7-20
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

PAROINA Posted at 7-20 19:14
Ah, I've never used the H.265 codec yet. I'll have to try it and see what mine does once the sun comes back up. Are you using D-CINE or STANDARD?

Using D-CINE. I'm guessing though you don't have the red spots appear on the screen when you're viewing the live feed (assuming you're using the DJI RC)?
2022-7-20
Use props
melihyuksel
New

Turkey

Hi, I have the same problem, could you find any solution about the red pixels?
2022-11-30
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

melihyuksel Posted at 11-30 03:53

Nope sadly not. I put up with it a little while longer because I needed the drone for a while and even at 4k 60 fps where it does show up on footage, the dots disappeared if I saved the video out from editing software or if I uploaded to anywhere online. Makes me wonder if it's some sort of encoding issue. But I sent the drone in for repair/replacement literally a couple of days ago as I'm not using it much this time of year. Didn't want to have to send it in but just worried in case it got worse over time.
2022-11-30
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

melihyuksel Posted at 11-30 03:53

Just to let you know. I got my drone back today, well they just sent a new drone with my original RC controller and battery. All seems fine with this drone. Dunno how severe your issue is but my one was only an issue if I filmed at 4k 60 fps but even then if I uploaded the video anywhere online or if I saved it from an editing program then the dots disappeared. Not entirely sure what the issue was though. Up to you if you can live with it and hope it doesn't get worse out of warranty or you send it in now for a replacement while it's covered under warranty.
2022-12-8
Use props
Element115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

looks like bad sensor.
2022-12-8
Use props
mikesaa309
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 12-8 08:34
looks like bad sensor.

Most likely. Just weird that the dots disappear if I uploaded a video online or if I edited the vid. I would have thought a hardware issue would have stayed. But new drone is fine so all is good now.
2022-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules