DJI Mini 3 Pro - Docking Gimbal Cover
3886 18 2022-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mavic3tw
First Officer
Flight distance : 6485269 ft
Taiwan

This is for the people who threw their packing foam away.
The tiny packing foam is very easy to lose. You may make another one yourself easily.

Note: Anti-static foams guarantee the best possible protection for packaging and transport of sensitive, electronic components and devices.
2022-7-21
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

The thing about these foams, don't they push the gimbal forward? Or does it not matter that much?
I'm looking at the rubber on the sides.
2022-7-21
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Beta5K Posted at 7-21 06:32
The thing about these foams, don't they push the gimbal forward? Or does it not matter that much?
I'm looking at the rubber on the sides.

The anti-static foam helps lock the gimbal (keep the gimbal facing forward)  and attach the gimbal cover easily
2022-7-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very creative William.     thanks for sharing.
2022-7-21
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

My dog tried to eat mine.  Luckily got to it before any teeth marks.  Just wiped clean :-)
2022-7-21
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

mavic3tw Posted at 7-21 06:46
The anti-static foam helps lock the gimbal (keep the gimbal facing forward)  and attach the gimbal cover easily[view_image][view_image]

I guess I meant, isn't there additional strain pushing the gimbal forward when you wedge the foam in between?
2022-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there mavic3tw. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video that you have created for the DJI Mini 3 Pro. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying. .
2022-7-21
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

Beta5K Posted at 7-21 08:38
I guess I meant, isn't there additional strain pushing the gimbal forward when you wedge the foam in between?

It can help to lock the gimbal facing forward with the right size of the foam and attach the gimbal cover easily in order to protect the gimbal from scratches.
2022-7-21
Use props
ElleKN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 813307 ft
Germany

it works fine with mine drone - thanks for sharing
2022-7-21
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

oh my god..
2022-7-22
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

It's easy, simple, and useful
2022-7-22
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

mavic3tw Posted at 7-22 07:12
It's easy, simple, and useful

yess, just time Interstellar music made my day
2022-7-22
Use props
djiuser_Y9fJD6XIIBri
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Doh, I did not realise it was even there, (no mention anywhere, and no tape to remove before flight). Left aside but thanks for saying it needs to be refitted when finished a flight. I did not see it behind the gimbal / lens, being black in colour. Only realised after first flight and read message on screen about gimbal and high temps. Please update and support add to the unboxing. Or did I miss something...
2022-7-23
Use props
mavic3tw
First Officer
Taiwan

djiuser_Y9fJD6XIIBri Posted at 7-23 05:04
Doh, I did not realise it was even there, (no mention anywhere, and no tape to remove before flight). Left aside but thanks for saying it needs to be refitted when finished a flight. I did not see it behind the gimbal / lens, being black in colour. Only realised after first flight and read message on screen about gimbal and high temps. Please update and support add to the unboxing. Or did I miss something...

You can find the packing foam for protecting the gimbal when you do unboxing.  
2022-7-23
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

So I am new to having a real drone is protecting the gimbal important besides just putting the cover on it?  If so could you stick the foam to the cover so that it stays on the cover all the time?  Like cut a piece and hot glue it to the cover to hold the top and bottom of the gimbal in place.  Then it would just stay on the cover and not get lost, just sort of cradle it when you put the cover on.  Or is it supposed to be free to move around in there?
2022-7-24
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

gregh2000 Posted at 7-24 10:22
So I am new to having a real drone is protecting the gimbal important besides just putting the cover on it?  If so could you stick the foam to the cover so that it stays on the cover all the time?  Like cut a piece and hot glue it to the cover to hold the top and bottom of the gimbal in place.  Then it would just stay on the cover and not get lost, just sort of cradle it when you put the cover on.  Or is it supposed to be free to move around in there?

It depends on whether you have the old style gimbal cover or the new one.

The old one doesn't need the foam at all.   It would lock the gimbal as you put on the cover.

For the new one, the gimbal can move freely inside the cover.   So you may consider using the foam when transporting the drone.

One major downside of using the foam is that sometimes you may forget to remove it before turning on the drone.
2022-7-24
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

nosnoop Posted at 7-24 10:46
It depends on whether you have the old style gimbal cover or the new one.

The old one doesn't need the foam at all.   It would lock the gimbal as you put on the cover.

Mine can move inside the cover, I thought that is how it is supposed to be and if it was to be locked then they would have designed it to lock it in place?  It made me wonder and I saved the foam from the packing just because if I were to take it on a trip where it might get tossed around more I would pad it before packing just in case since that is how it was in the box.
2022-7-24
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

gregh2000 Posted at 7-24 16:57
Mine can move inside the cover, I thought that is how it is supposed to be and if it was to be locked then they would have designed it to lock it in place?  It made me wonder and I saved the foam from the packing just because if I were to take it on a trip where it might get tossed around more I would pad it before packing just in case since that is how it was in the box.

The original gimbal cover would lock the camera and gimbal.
But it is harder to put on, as it has to align with the camera exactly to slide in, and the camera can move around, so it may take a few tries.   They probably have received quite a bit of complaints about this, and that's why the redesign.

I think for normal use, locking the gimbal is not very important.   The cover would serve its purpose of protecting the gimbal and camera.

If you plan to travel, hiking or put the drone in your luggage where the bag may be thrown around, it may be helpful to use the foam to fix the gimbal and camera.
2022-7-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice solution!
2022-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now