4764 62 2022-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To Gary H, might I suggest a practise that I use.
Immediately after launch and the drone having acquired sufficient satellites to establish a home point, I fly the drone out a short distance, far enough that triggering an RTH will actually produce an RTH, and I then trigger an RTH and look to see where the drone is heading for.
If, for whatever reason, the home point is not where I want it do be ( generally at my feet), I bring the drone over head and reset the home point to the drone's location.

Why do I do this, I had an instance where a M2P/Z  RTH'ed to a place that was 20ft or so from where it should have been, the difference would have brought the drone down into a tree.

I prefer the practical test to trying to judge where the home point is on a map etc., even if a map is available. The test wastes very little battery and it does no harm.
2022-7-25
Use props
gary h
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4833747 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB -- Thanks for the info. It was primarily the abbreviations I didn't understand. The rest I figured out. Very nice analysis software you created. I'll look into the FRAP platform.
2022-7-25
Use props
gary h
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sean -- I have used that technique to establish a known home point. The one problem I have using that technique, when flying from my deck, is that I must descend pretty much back to the deck level before manually setting the home point, otherwise there is no way I can get an accurate-enough home point to automatically land the drone on the deck. Manually updating the home point from 100 feet in the air will usually land the drone in the tree that is next to the deck. But this technique does work well when flying from an open area. I usually don't rely on RTH to land my drones. I usually land them manually, but I do want to ensure that RTH will work when needed. I have had to rely on RTH several times with my Mavic 2 Pro. My older Smart Controller crashed a couple times while flying and I've had to rely on an automatic RTH landing.
So you too have had a drone attempt to land in a place other than from where you took off and from where the home point was set? That pretty much gets to the heart of my original question in this thread. That's the question I was asking in my first post, and you have answered it.
2022-7-25
Use props
gary h
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Update -- I just flew the drone again to test the RTH. I took off and landed about a dozen times, and each time I clicked the RTH button, the drone would fly back to it's launch pad on the deck and land close to it, but not on it. The furthest away was about 6 feet. The closest was about a foot from the launch pad. I shut the drone and controller off and waited about 15 minutes and tried again. This time the drone landed right smack on the big "H" on the launch pad. I repeated this test several times and each time the drone landed on the launch pad.  I'm guessing that perhaps the landing error is being caused by sub-optimal satellite positioning as suggested by Labroids earlier.
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

gary h Posted at 7-25 09:26
Sean -- I have used that technique to establish a known home point. The one problem I have using that technique, when flying from my deck, is that I must descend pretty much back to the deck level before manually setting the home point, otherwise there is no way I can get an accurate-enough home point to automatically land the drone on the deck. Manually updating the home point from 100 feet in the air will usually land the drone in the tree that is next to the deck. But this technique does work well when flying from an open area. I usually don't rely on RTH to land my drones. I usually land them manually, but I do want to ensure that RTH will work when needed. I have had to rely on RTH several times with my Mavic 2 Pro. My older Smart Controller crashed a couple times while flying and I've had to rely on an automatic RTH landing.
So you too have had a drone attempt to land in a place other than from where you took off and from where the home point was set? That pretty much gets to the heart of my original question in this thread. That's the question I was asking in my first post, and you have answered it.

So you too have had a drone attempt to land in a place other than from where you took off and from where the home point was set?
DJI drones don't attempt to RTH autoland anywhere other than where the home point was set.
But they could surprise the flyer when the homepoint isn't where the flyer assumed it was.
2022-7-25
Use props
gary h
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

That's a distinction without a difference from the viewpoint of the remote pilot. Whether or not the drone is landing in a location different from where the home point is being recorded, or the home point is being recorded in a location different from where the drone takes off, although technically there may be a difference between the two statements, the effect is the same. The drone is not landing where we expect it to land. All I was saying was that he too has experienced the same thing that I have.
2022-7-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gary h Posted at 7-25 09:26

Gary, ahhh but I rarely let a drone actually land automatically, for me I use RTH as a "bring it overhead" feature and then manually land or hand catch.
I have once or twice, in a safer area, trees further away from the descent path, let a M2P/Z do a precision landing and then the drone got the camera over the same 2" patch of lichen then it was over when it took off.
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

gary h Posted at 7-25 14:34
That's a distinction without a difference from the viewpoint of the remote pilot. Whether or not the drone is landing in a location different from where the home point is being recorded, or the home point is being recorded in a location different from where the drone takes off, although technically there may be a difference between the two statements, the effect is the same. The drone is not landing where we expect it to land. All I was saying was that he too has experienced the same thing that I have.

That's a distinction without a difference from the viewpoint of the remote pilot.
That's a distinction without difference .... to a flyer who doesn't know where the recorded home point is.
That's a pilot with insufficient awareness of what's going on with his drone flight.

As you gain more experience, you learn about the things that can go wrong and how to ensure they don't happen to you.
2022-7-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

And still we have problems with the GPS of the M3. Why for gods sake is this mysterious? I can confirm some issues with this myself even after the so-called fix.
2022-7-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well said.
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-25 20:07
And still we have problems with the GPS of the M3. Why for gods sake is this mysterious? I can confirm some issues with this myself even after the so-called fix.

And still we have problems with the GPS of the M3. Why for gods sake is this mysterious?
No mystery ... We don't have problems with the GPS on the Mavic 3.
But you can have problems with any GPS receiver when it doesn't have a good spread of sats to work with in a partially obstructed location..
2022-7-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-25 20:59
And still we have problems with the GPS of the M3. Why for gods sake is this mysterious?
No mystery ... We don't have problems with the GPS on the Mavic 3.
But you can have problems with any GPS receiver when it doesn't have a good spread of sats to work with in a partially obstructed location..

Not true. I have no problems with my Ma2 or my A2s or my M2p...Why is that??
2022-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-28 20:07
Not true. I have no problems with my Ma2 or my A2s or my M2p...Why is that??

It's impossible to comment without knowing what problem you are hinting at.
The big GPS problem that the Mavic 3 had was fixed some time back and you are the only user I've heard suggesting they still have a problem.
2022-7-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-28 20:27
It's impossible to comment without knowing what problem you are hinting at.
The big GPS problem that the Mavic 3 had was fixed some time back and you are the only user I've heard suggesting they still have a problem.

Yeh...it's just just me. I am sure the gods have picked me for abuse. My M3 (do you have one by the way?...no offence) Is failing big time. If I fly with the M2 it is flawless. If you contest that, you may have neither...again no offence. Actually I would like to send you an M3. Not kidding. I will do that. Over anyone here you deserve one.
2022-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-28 20:39
Yeh...it's just just me. I am sure the gods have picked me for abuse. My M3 (do you have one by the way?...no offence) Is failing big time. If I fly with the M2 it is flawless. If you contest that, you may have neither...again no offence. Actually I would like to send you an M3. Not kidding. I will do that. Over anyone here you deserve one.

Thanks for the generous offer Gary, but I've been flying an M3 for two months now.
The GPS performance is flawless.
There are a few things I don't like about the app and the too-severe braking, but I can live with those to be able to put that camera in the air and get the extra battery life.

So what's the issue/s that's affecting yours?
2022-7-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Gary,

When ythe GPS icon is coloured White; Homepoint is set, so waiting for this to takeoff is clever to do.
When you take off and direct fly away from position than shortly after in Flight HP is set again.
I often miss this mesage in the app, watching the drone and not the screen.

See my chart ; did manual takeoff UP and direct followed with FWD stick. Second HP was set 0.7 meter away from takeoff point.

RTH landing at this second HP position and not at the takeoff position, mayby worth to try this out yourself.

cheers
JJB
analysis2.png
2022-7-29
Use props
gary h
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

JJB — My second home point is automatically set upon climbing vertically within the 1st foot or so of altitude. I don’t give the drone any forward stick until it reaches a vertical altitude of 7 m. That ensures that the drone should RTH using “precision landing.”
2022-7-29
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

gary h Posted at 7-29 04:50
JJB — My second home point is automatically set upon climbing vertically within the 1st foot or so of altitude. I don’t give the drone any forward stick until it reaches a vertical altitude of 7 m. That ensures that the drone should RTH using “precision landing.”

oke. just trying to help  :-)  mayby not all drone pilots know this....
2022-7-29
Use props
djiuser_wNXLYlcx5wUR
New

United Kingdom

I own a DJI Mini 4 Pro, bought as part of a combo. Encountered an issue with the controller, so DJI replaced the entire unit. However, the new aircraft has the same problem—it frequently attempts to land on the roof, far from where it should be. DJI claims it's a common issue in urban areas, but my previous drone consistently landed in the correct spot. I'm unsure whether to trust DJI's explanation, as I'm new to drones.
3-22 01:49
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_wNXLYlcx5wUR Posted at 3-22 01:49
I own a DJI Mini 4 Pro, bought as part of a combo. Encountered an issue with the controller, so DJI replaced the entire unit. However, the new aircraft has the same problem—it frequently attempts to land on the roof, far from where it should be. DJI claims it's a common issue in urban areas, but my previous drone consistently landed in the correct spot. I'm unsure whether to trust DJI's explanation, as I'm new to drones.

Hi,

If you like share your FlightLog for this issue.

Use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploade link on here

My Mini4Pro lands always close to mt HomePoint position.

cheers
JJB
3-22 02:40
Use props
gary h
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Since I posted in this thread originally regarding the Mavic three, I have acquired a Mavic three Pro. My Mavic three Pro does the exact same thing as the Mavic 3. Just yesterday I took off from my deck, flew South about 100 yards, then flew back to the house using return to home, and the drone tried to land 30 feet from where I took off onto my roof. This doesn’t always happen, but is more likely to occur on the first flight within a session of flights. If I land and takeoff again, it rarely has this problem. I’ve got a handful of other DJI older drones, and they seem to be much more accurate when doing an automated return to home. I’ve learned to just deal with this, but in the event that my controller crashes, and I have to rely on an automated return to home, the drone is going to try to land on the roof, and just sit there hovering 3 feet above the roof until the battery runs out, in which it will then automatically land on the sloped roof, covered with snow.
3-22 12:19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_wNXLYlcx5wUR Posted at 3-22 01:49
I own a DJI Mini 4 Pro, bought as part of a combo. Encountered an issue with the controller, so DJI replaced the entire unit. However, the new aircraft has the same problem—it frequently attempts to land on the roof, far from where it should be. DJI claims it's a common issue in urban areas, but my previous drone consistently landed in the correct spot. I'm unsure whether to trust DJI's explanation, as I'm new to drones.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Kindly have a test flight in a different location to further isolate the issue. In addition, please record the screen during the test flight so we can check the behavior of the unit including the error message you received on the app. You may upload the video via Google Drive or YouTube. Please keep us posted.
3-22 21:09
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

gary h Posted at 3-22 12:19
Since I posted in this thread originally regarding the Mavic three, I have acquired a Mavic three Pro. My Mavic three Pro does the exact same thing as the Mavic 3. Just yesterday I took off from my deck, flew South about 100 yards, then flew back to the house using return to home, and the drone tried to land 30 feet from where I took off onto my roof. This doesn’t always happen, but is more likely to occur on the first flight within a session of flights. If I land and takeoff again, it rarely has this problem. I’ve got a handful of other DJI older drones, and they seem to be much more accurate when doing an automated return to home. I’ve learned to just deal with this, but in the event that my controller crashes, and I have to rely on an automated return to home, the drone is going to try to land on the roof, and just sit there hovering 3 feet above the roof until the battery runs out, in which it will then automatically land on the sloped roof, covered with snow.

Hi Gary,

If you like upload a flightlog for this issue (your first of the day...)

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link one here.

If you start to fly without a white GPS icon (top left app) then HP is set during flight

cheers
JJB
3-23 02:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules