12587 184 2022-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

WN1X Posted at 5-15 07:22
That is drone operating temperature not the battery temperature. LiPo cells are designed for cells to run between -20 and 60 degrees Celsius. I recent five minute test flight with minimal hovering, my batteries reached 49 degrees Celsius.

This is the ambient temperature at which the drone and batteries can be used. In the heat of 30+, they heated up to 50+ for me.
But it is not recommended to hang motionless for a long period.
2023-5-16
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

DJI Tony Posted at 5-16 00:24
Hi, bxq. Thanks for reaching out, and sharing your valuable suggestions. We have your feedback noted and this will be forwarded to the related team for attention. Have a nice day!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=286594
2023-5-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-16 06:58
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=286594

Hi there. We understand that this has not been implemented yet, and we will continue to forward similar requests for our engineers to know. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.
2023-5-17
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111476 ft
Barbados

Still not a fix!!!

Almost lost my drone over water yesterday.  Was filming surfers and hovering for 2-3 minutes in 28C direct sun.  Flight time total was 6min.  Got overheat notice with RTH followed almost immediately by overheating with immediate landing followed by complete loss of video.  No inputs from controller and lucky for me it did a RTH.  Zero warning.

Today used the lighter battery (my assumption is weight also impacts work rate impacts temp) and kept the drone almost constantly moving.  Same as someone else mentioned, kept monitoring the battery the whole flight.  No issue.

Anyone know what the temp range is for the "emergency" procedures to kick in?

DJI, when will battery temp monitoring be made visible on the screen (so not having to go into menu)?

DJI, when will warnings be displayed before executing RTH or immediate landing??  
2023-5-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Wow 104 and you are flying a drone with no internal fans. Smart move lol. How about don't fly in heat temp able to cook eggs on the sidewalk. All stuff with electronics when overheat will shut down to prevent damage. Drones are no exception. Stop flying to 100 degree heat and you won't have a problem.
2023-5-25
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-25 05:59
Wow 104 and you are flying a drone with no internal fans. Smart move lol. How about don't fly in heat temp able to cook eggs on the sidewalk. All stuff with electronics when overheat will shut down to prevent damage. Drones are no exception. Stop flying to 100 degree heat and you won't have a problem.

104F?  More like 82F.  Maybe you've had one too many of those sidewalk eggs.  
2023-5-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

afreekdusoet Posted at 5-25 08:25
104F?  More like 82F.  Maybe you've had one too many of those sidewalk eggs.

Op said he was flying temp 104 and below. Still pretty damn hot. I fly my mavic 3 pro which has a built in fan and the drone still gets hot to the touch in 80 degree heat. So cant imagine a mini 3 pro which doesnt have any built in fan flying in 100degree heat. Ouch. Maybe op needs to wait till sunset to fly. Since he keep getting overheat issues with 2 difference drones.
2023-5-25
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Slovenia

afreekdusoet Posted at 5-25 05:40
Still not a fix!!!

Almost lost my drone over water yesterday.  Was filming surfers and hovering for 2-3 minutes in 28C direct sun.  Flight time total was 6min.  Got overheat notice with RTH followed almost immediately by overheating with immediate landing followed by complete loss of video.  No inputs from controller and lucky for me it did a RTH.  Zero warning.

So you are saying that drone started an automatic RTH and flew to the homepoint and landed by itself?
2023-5-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Even if DJI do add screen warnings in the app, the bottom line is that the Mini 3 Pro is not a drone designed to be used in tropical to sub tropical regions particularly in the summer months... We keep seeing people from the cold parts of the planet, reporting that their drone is fine, but for the rest of us, we need a built in fan or a bigger heat sink in the drone and the battery... Simple as that...
2023-5-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Burt37 Posted at 5-25 14:35
Even if DJI do add screen warnings in the app, the bottom line is that the Mini 3 Pro is not a drone designed to be used in tropical to sub tropical regions particularly in the summer months... We keep seeing people from the cold parts of the planet, reporting that their drone is fine, but for the rest of us, we need a built in fan or a bigger heat sink in the drone and the battery... Simple as that...

Or just sell the mini 3 pro and get the mavic 3 pro. The mavic is better in every ways plus it has built in fan which kicks on when it get hot. Have been flying in direct sun and have never seen any warning about over heating. But the drone is warm when touch. The mini 3 pro isnt designed to be fly in hot summer day cause no fan to cool it down.
2023-5-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-25 18:23
Or just sell the mini 3 pro and get the mavic 3 pro. The mavic is better in every ways plus it has built in fan which kicks on when it get hot. Have been flying in direct sun and have never seen any warning about over heating. But the drone is warm when touch. The mini 3 pro isnt designed to be fly in hot summer day cause no fan to cool it down.

I got the Mavic and I still enjoy flying the Mini 3 more...

PS

If you pay attention you can see that I specifically mentioned tropics and sub tropics areas. That where we are and there are no hot summer or cold winters here. It is always hot and with 90% humidity... Also the Mavic fan is on almost all the times as well...
2023-5-25
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

Doesn't seem to be battery heat, so maybe the drone itself is overheating?  Had another flight where the battery went up to 49C and zero warnings.   
2023-5-26
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Kazakhstan

Maybe you have a problem there, it overheated very quickly, everything was fine in my heat (30C).
And the errors went, maybe from overheating or from internal problems.
Are you doing well with your drone now?
2023-5-26
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-26 04:21
Maybe you have a problem there, it overheated very quickly, everything was fine in my heat (30C).
And the errors went, maybe from overheating or from internal problems.
Are you doing well with your drone now?

Had another flight the next day where the battery temp reached almost 50C and no problems.  

But now I'm too nervous to fly it over water until I better understand what caused this "overheat" failure.
2023-5-26
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

Wondering if anyone knows, does the drone have 2 temp sensors?  One for battery and another for drone?  

Maybe the drone temp sensor is failing?  

Or if it is battery temp only, could it be that it is malfunctioning even though the battery has not overheated?
2023-5-26
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

Tuxtard Posted at 5-25 12:29
So you are saying that drone started an automatic RTH and flew to the homepoint and landed by itself?

Correct.  Lost video feed and control of the drone.  I posted the output from the logs showing how quick it all happened.
2023-5-26
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

Burt37 Posted at 5-25 14:35

Have also seen YouTube vid of temperature tests in Las Vegas desert without issue.  Battery temp goes 50C+ and no warning.  I've had the same where the battery temp reaches 50C and no problem.  

But in this case the battery only reached 34C and initiated emergency procedure.
2023-5-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

It AIN'T the battery!!! It's the processor overheating!! These are screengrabs from a Ken Heron video.
2023-5-26
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

afreekdusoet Posted at 5-26 05:54
Correct.  Lost video feed and control of the drone.  I posted the output from the logs showing how quick it all happened.

Well RTH and landing is the best solution we can hope for for a drone that can't handle heat by design. Turning off video recording and transmission is the best bet to reduce temperature as both generate a lot of heat. RTH and landing without control is much better solution than just landing without control on the spot.
2023-5-27
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

afreekdusoet Posted at 5-26 05:50
Had another flight the next day where the battery temp reached almost 50C and no problems.  

But now I'm too nervous to fly it over water until I better understand what caused this "overheat" failure.

Hi,

What time of day are you flying the drone?

You probably know this, but at this time of year, the sun's perpendicular rays are migrating from the equator to the tropic of cancer.  I've been to your part of the world in April and May.  The sun is extremely powerful.  People that have never been to your neck of the woods might not understand if they've never felt the sun on their skin at your location in May.  Based on the calendar, the sun's perpendicular rays are probably right over Barbados (from a latitude standpoint).  So right now, based on the calendar, the sun is hotter at your latitude than the equator.  You might have to limit your flights to early in the morning or late in the evening. You probably don't want to be hovering without an ocean breeze or avoid hovering if possible. That's not really the drone's fault or DJI's fault. They can't do anything about the power of the sun at your latitude.  I think you are underestimating the power of the sun's perpendicular rays beating down on your drone in May at your latitude.  Hot sand and warm water doesn't help you either though.
2023-5-27
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would assume it is trivial to add the temp to the screen—more than likely more of an issue when hovering.  Well, I guess it depends on how much available bandwidth they have in order to transmit the temp.
2023-5-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 5-27 06:21
Well RTH and landing is the best solution we can hope for for a drone that can't handle heat by design. Turning off video recording and transmission is the best bet to reduce temperature as both generate a lot of heat. RTH and landing without control is much better solution than just landing without control on the spot.

Thats certainly better than what the OP said anyway, so it sounds like this may have been added at a later date, the RTH part, IIRC, the OP said it just landed there and then with no input allowed.
2023-5-27
Use props
afreekdusoet
lvl.1
Barbados

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-26 07:48
It AIN'T the battery!!! It's the processor overheating!! These are screengrabs from a Ken Heron video. [view_image][view_image]

Seems you are right!!

Support confirmed there is a temp sensor for battery AND drone.  But I've not seen any tracking in notifications (or app) of drone temp.  Support's recommendation is to keep flying it and see if it happens again.  

Anyone have more insight on how to monitor the drone temp?
2023-6-1
Use props
Jack Hart
lvl.2
United States

Check my logic and math and see if this idea makes sense.

Here's a bandaid fix that might help.  Since drone battery cell voltage in flight goes from about 4.2 volts with a fresh battery to about 3.4 volts when it's time to land, all power requirements being equal, the drone will draw 4.2 / 3.4 = 1.235 more amps with a depleted battery than with a fresh one.  Since the heat generated in a conductor is given by I^2R,  the heat generated running at the end of battery capacity will be about 50% more than with a fresh battery.

CONCLUSION:  Always start flight with a fully charged  battery, and in high temperature weather, don't run the battery too close to the red.  

The only time I've had an overheat while in flight was when I ran the battery down below 30% on a very hot day.   
2023-8-15
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

Still no fix for us? No warning message? No control while landing?!
Then this is one area where Mini 3 is a better choice, because no front sensors, only holes here, which means more airflows..
2023-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules