Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-23 20:51
What app is this? How do you get your flight data into it?

Airdata App or Airdata.com on computer.
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
Canada

so what now in addition to flying and taking pictures/video we have to monitor the drone's temperatures?  sounds like a step back.  what other drone is this true for?
2022-7-24
Use props
Andre vd Weide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1503937 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

i did look in airdata for my drone the max temp for battery was 43,5 for all flights i had one time 47,5 but that was with phantom 4
2022-7-24
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

I am totally new to real drones and I am loving it with this Mini 3 Pro.  I am looking at my flight data in Airdata and my highest is 128.5F/53.6C for battery temp.  This was just the other day when it was 98F/36C air temp out flying in direct sun.  Never got a warning or forced landing everything was fine and I was able to fly around like normal.  Does anyone know what the shutdown temp is that we need to worry about?  It has been pretty hot here in MN and flying around all this water is making me nervous of losing my new friend.  I do have the refresh plan just in case and have been flying it by the rules close to me but also over water so it makes me nervous of an uncontrolled shutdown.

I also wonder if there could be some sort of small add on to direct more airflow from the prop into the vents?  Maybe that could help reduce the internal temps getting more airflow though that heat sink that is in there?  
2022-7-24
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298963 ft
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 7-22 10:15
What happens if your hovering doing a timelapse or filming stationary?????

I was doing just that and the drone overheated. It was after 35ish minutes of taking Timelapse directly in the sun. The drone reverted to forced landing mode and I had zero control over it.
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gregh2000 Posted at 7-24 07:48
I am totally new to real drones and I am loving it with this Mini 3 Pro.  I am looking at my flight data in Airdata and my highest is 128.5F/53.6C for battery temp.  This was just the other day when it was 98F/36C air temp out flying in direct sun.  Never got a warning or forced landing everything was fine and I was able to fly around like normal.  Does anyone know what the shutdown temp is that we need to worry about?  It has been pretty hot here in MN and flying around all this water is making me nervous of losing my new friend.  I do have the refresh plan just in case and have been flying it by the rules close to me but also over water so it makes me nervous of an uncontrolled shutdown.

I also wonder if there could be some sort of small add on to direct more airflow from the prop into the vents?  Maybe that could help reduce the internal temps getting more airflow though that heat sink that is in there?

Battery shutdown when charging 131 degrees F. Not sure of drone shutdown temp...
2022-7-24
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-23 20:51
What app is this? How do you get your flight data into it?

https://airdata.com/
2022-7-24
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 08:08
I was doing just that and the drone overheated. It was after 35ish minutes of taking Timelapse directly in the sun. The drone reverted to forced landing mode and I had zero control over it.

Yikes...not good.
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 08:08

Do you have any logs or videos of flight you can post or upload ?
2022-7-24
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-24 09:38
Do you have any logs or videos of flight you can post or upload ?

I have the full flight log, but I don't know how to upload it into this forum. The picture I've attached shows the overheat warning and the batt temp-147F.
2022-7-24
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-23 21:01
I hate to know that this happened to you, but I’m glad someone else can confirm what I was experiencing.

What I am doing now when I fly, no matter what the outside ambient temperature is, is monitor the battery temperature by going into the menu while in flight. The battery is good and flying is still I believe safe as long as the temperature of the battery remains 50 C or below.

Ok so I did some testing today. I flew the aircraft in the same conditions and manner in which it overheated yesterday. I did a 16 minute hyperlapse shot at a stand-still hover. The shot completed without the drone overheating. I actually ran out of battery before the drone overheated, which is interesting. However, the temps got up pretty high- I saw 67.5C on the controller, and the flight log shows 154.2F. I also took a laser temperature measurement of the battery after landing and it showed 151F. Interesting that the temp is hotter than yesterday’s (147F), and it still didn’t overheat. However, as soon as I landed and the airflow stopped, the aircraft turned off due to overheating. So it was probably right on the verge the entire time. But I think it’s probably safe to say that as long as we monitor the battery temp and keep it below 60C, we shouldn’t have any overheating.

Also of note: I thought that maybe more maneuvering would help it cool better. It appears that is not the case. After letting the temp rise to 62C, I did a ton of flying around and maneuvering. The temps just kept going higher.

Final opinion- keep an eye on the battery temps (For those who don't know: Safety --> Battery Info). Keep it below 60C. That should be fine.
2022-7-24
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

Sorry to hear. Seeing as you did not have any control stick usage during the direct descent, did you press the RTH to get any response?
2022-7-24
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2015627 ft
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 11:17
Ok so I did some testing today. I flew the aircraft in the same conditions and manner in which it overheated yesterday. I did a 16 minute hyperlapse shot at a stand-still hover. The shot completed without the drone overheating. I actually ran out of battery before the drone overheated, which is interesting. However, the temps got up pretty high- I saw 67.5C on the controller, and the flight log shows 154.2F. I also took a laser temperature measurement of the battery after landing and it showed 151F. Interesting that the temp is hotter than yesterday’s (147F), and it still didn’t overheat. However, as soon as I landed and the airflow stopped, the aircraft turned off due to overheating. So it was probably right on the verge the entire time. But I think it’s probably safe to say that as long as we monitor the battery temp and keep it below 60C, we shouldn’t have any overheating.

Also of note: I thought that maybe more maneuvering would help it cool better. It appears that is not the case. After letting the temp rise to 62C, I did a ton of flying around and maneuvering. The temps just kept going higher.

Thank you for all of those details.

What really needs to happen, is for DJI to put an overheat gauge on the in-flight screen that you can monitor without digging into the menu, or give a three or four minute warning that tells you if you do not perform a controlled  landing,  a forced landing will take place because overheating is about to occur.

I don’t think that’s asking for too much, and it will save a lot of aircraft, and at the end of the day, DJI money.
2022-7-24
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-24 11:27

What really needs to happen, is for DJI to put an overheat gauge on the in-flight screen that you can monitor without digging into the menu, or give a three or four minute warning that tells you if you do not perform a controlled  landing,  a forced landing will take place because overheating is about to occur.

I completely agree. I chatted with support today and they said they’d pass it on to the engineers. Who knows if they actually will. They also offered to replace my drone, but I honestly don’t know if I want to go through the work of sending it back and waiting for a replacement haha.
2022-7-24
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

martindronester Posted at 7-24 11:24
Sorry to hear. Seeing as you did not have any control stick usage during the direct descent, did you press the RTH to get any response?

Your controller is dead to you once it goes into forced landing mode, nothing you press on it will work, the aircraft overheats goes in the forced landing mode and lands at whatever area it is over at the moment it happens, you are helpless to stop it.
2022-7-24
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 11:28
I completely agree. I chatted with support today and they said they’d pass it on to the engineers. Who knows if they actually will. They also offered to replace my drone, but I honestly don’t know if I want to go through the work of sending it back and waiting for a replacement haha.

They are all the same, I had my first which was destroyed when it landed on a busy road, and the second drone did the same exact thing although I was able to recover it the second time which is why I thought it was really necessary to start this thread.
2022-7-24
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-24 11:31
Your controller is dead to you once it goes into forced landing mode, nothing you press on it will work, the aircraft overheats goes in the forced landing mode and lands at whatever area it is over at the moment it happens, you are helpless to stop it.

Does that include obstacle avoidance as well?
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-24 11:27

What really needs to happen, is for DJI to put an overheat gauge on the in-flight screen that you can monitor without digging into the menu, or give a three or four minute warning that tells you if you do not perform a controlled  landing,  a forced landing will take place because overheating is about to occur.

i disagree, i don't want more useless stuff cluttering up the display, i want less.  this is a modern drone, not a home-built race car.  it doesn't need temperature gauges that have the monitored on the screen, that's tacky.  the autel nano has none and doesn't need none so i guess it's a superior drone, huh?  it just doesnt randomly overhead and fall to the ground lol.
2022-7-24
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

martindronester Posted at 7-24 11:35
Does that include obstacle avoidance as well?

It has happened to me twice with two different drones and neither time was there an obstacle in the landing path so I can’t confirm that or not, what I can confirm is that zero input from your controller is accepted by the drone when it goes in the forced landing mode after an overheat.
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 11:28
I completely agree. I chatted with support today and they said they’d pass it on to the engineers. Who knows if they actually will. They also offered to replace my drone, but I honestly don’t know if I want to go through the work of sending it back and waiting for a replacement haha.

147 to 154 ,that is pretty hot.  What battery are you using ? You could try plus battery, mine plus runs cooler. Maybe. cause it's draining slower...
Maybe consider the return...
2022-7-24
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-24 11:36
i disagree, i don't want more useless stuff cluttering up the display, i want less.  this is a modern drone, not a home-built race car.  it doesn't need temperature gauges that have the monitored on the screen, that's tacky.  the autel nano has none and doesn't need none so i guess it's a superior drone, huh?  it just doesnt randomly overhead and fall to the ground lol.

Nah man, I hear you.

It should be turnkey but I really think the problem is the size of the drone being small, no fans built into it to keep them below the weight limit, and I think the real culprit is the heat generated by filming in 4K 60P which I do exclusively, and is the reason why I bought the drone in the first place.

I guess we are all still waiting on perfect.
2022-7-24
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perhaps they could look at disabling obstacle avoidance and/or stopping it video recording if it overheats and still permit a controlled landing?

I have noted my one is very warm to the touch on landing and I have never noted that with my other drone models.

I guess the little CPU inside really must cook and relies on forward flight for good cooling.

When I update my one it always has a 3" USB fan blowing on the front to keep it cool.
2022-7-24
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-24 11:41
147 to 154 ,that is pretty hot.  What battery are you using ? You could try plus battery, mine plus runs cooler. Maybe. cause it's draining slower...
Maybe consider the return...

Yeah I’m using the regular battery. What temps are you seeing with the plus?
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 11:52
Yeah I’m using the regular battery. What temps are you seeing with the plus?

40 + flights I can't get it past 105 F but I live in the Catskill Mountain in NY
Not as hot here...
2022-7-24
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-24 11:38
It has happened to me twice with two different drones and neither time was there an obstacle in the landing path so I can’t confirm that or not, what I can confirm is that zero input from your controller is accepted by the drone when it goes in the forced landing mode after an overheat.

Thanks for a good 'heads up' share...
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-24 12:02
40 + flights I can't get it past 105 F but I live in the Catskill Mountain in NY
Not as hot here...

I don't shoot 4k 60 and 99% of my flights later in day (cause of wind) also..
2022-7-24
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384698 ft
United States

Not hijacking the thread, but can this upload direct from RC or do you need to use your phone to upload?

Thanks.
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansfbd2311f Posted at 7-24 16:18
Not hijacking the thread, but can this upload direct from RC or do you need to use your phone to upload?

Thanks.

I use my windows computer to automatically download the flight data from dji with dji username and password, then it is also synced with android/ios apps.
There are probably other ways to accomplish this, but this is how I do it with the mini 3 pro
it syncs the flight data from dji flight records uploaded from RC controller. Don't forget to put wifi back on after flight and sync flight records with dji after flight.
2022-7-24
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-24 17:07
I use my windows computer to automatically download the flight data from dji with dji username and password, then it is also synced with android/ios apps.
There are probably other ways to accomplish this, but this is how I do it with the mini 3 pro
it syncs the flight data from dji flight records uploaded from RC controller. Don't forget to put wifi back on after flight and sync flight records with dji after flight.

I prefer to use my windows computer to access "Air Data" that is why i do it this way....
2022-7-24
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384698 ft
United States

As I read through the thread about M3P overheating issues, it seems that if this particular drone is going to have this issue then the the app needs a way to warn an operator that a forced landing is imminent prior to initiating it.  Either a visible temp gauge on the display, or a warning that happens much earlier than a forced landing.  Even if the Fly app makes it standard (applicable to all drones), it would not affect drones that don't have overheating issues.  Not sure that this would be difficult to achieve.  

Besides, I purchased this drone to do photography over water in the summer, so a forced landing without sufficient warning is an unacceptable situation across the board.  I would be frustrated if my flight time was interrupted due to overheating indeed, but a loss of the drone into the water with no notice, is a much worse outcome.  From what I have read, DJI wants you to return a crashed drone for the Refresh coverage, so it's loss could cost a lot of money.
2022-7-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 09:59
I have the full flight log, but I don't know how to upload it into this forum. The picture I've attached shows the overheat warning and the batt temp-147F.[view_image]

Would be interesting to see your flightlog, about all the warnings for this issue

upload your log to > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
post the upload link on here

or put a cloud link to your flightlog.txt on here

cheers
JJB
2022-7-25
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-24 11:41
Nah man, I hear you.

It should be turnkey but I really think the problem is the size of the drone being small, no fans built into it to keep them below the weight limit, and I think the real culprit is the heat generated by filming in 4K 60P which I do exclusively, and is the reason why I bought the drone in the first place.

Stupid question, but how much of an effect does higher resolution and FPS have on the temps?

2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Beta5K Posted at 7-25 09:40
Stupid question, but how much of an effect does higher resolution and FPS have on the temps?

i could be wrong but i believe the difference is how soon, not by how much, is the effect of heat building up.  shooting video at higher frame rates and higher resolution tend to reach high temperatures faster than shooting at lower frame rates and lower resolution.  if unable to disperse the heat in a timely fashion, the triggers may activate.  i think dji is finding it difficult to find a solution to delaying these triggers.
2022-7-25
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-22 07:56
The first thing that happens is you get aircraft overheating on the controller, then immediately you get forced landing, then if you are recording the recording stops, and then the aircraft lands at whatever spot it started the forced landing at, and no input from the controller is accepted by the drone.

It lands wherever it is at when it tells you it is overheated.

I think I an hover all day long. I try not to fly when it gets over 75F...just too hot for me...so I understand the Mini 3 giving up at that temperature. Who goes outside when it's over 80F??  LOL (I live in North Pole, Alaska...)
2022-7-25
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

fansfbd2311f Posted at 7-25 01:59
As I read through the thread about M3P overheating issues, it seems that if this particular drone is going to have this issue then the the app needs a way to warn an operator that a forced landing is imminent prior to initiating it.  Either a visible temp gauge on the display, or a warning that happens much earlier than a forced landing.  Even if the Fly app makes it standard (applicable to all drones), it would not affect drones that don't have overheating issues.  Not sure that this would be difficult to achieve.  

Besides, I purchased this drone to do photography over water in the summer, so a forced landing without sufficient warning is an unacceptable situation across the board.  I would be frustrated if my flight time was interrupted due to overheating indeed, but a loss of the drone into the water with no notice, is a much worse outcome.  From what I have read, DJI wants you to return a crashed drone for the Refresh coverage, so it's loss could cost a lot of money.

Completely agree. I have reached out to DJI and they said they passed the info on to their engineers.
2022-7-25
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-24 12:02
Not as hot here...

Wow that’s not too bad.
2022-7-25
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-25 07:52
Would be interesting to see your flightlog, about all the warnings for this issue

Sure I can do that!
2022-7-25
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-24 11:17
Ok so I did some testing today. I flew the aircraft in the same conditions and manner in which it overheated yesterday. I did a 16 minute hyperlapse shot at a stand-still hover. The shot completed without the drone overheating. I actually ran out of battery before the drone overheated, which is interesting. However, the temps got up pretty high- I saw 67.5C on the controller, and the flight log shows 154.2F. I also took a laser temperature measurement of the battery after landing and it showed 151F. Interesting that the temp is hotter than yesterday’s (147F), and it still didn’t overheat. However, as soon as I landed and the airflow stopped, the aircraft turned off due to overheating. So it was probably right on the verge the entire time. But I think it’s probably safe to say that as long as we monitor the battery temp and keep it below 60C, we shouldn’t have any overheating.

Is the overheating of the battery or drone that enables shutdown?
2022-7-25
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 7-25 21:48
Is the overheating of the battery or drone that enables shutdown?

I believe it is the battery.
2022-7-26
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-25 07:52

Overheat Log

You have to download the CSV and then scroll over to find the battery temps.
2022-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules