o(^-^)o
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-26 11:46
Overheat Log

You have to download the CSV and then scroll over to find the battery temps.

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your log, see my chart of your data.
Indeed high batt temp!

During Autolanding no RC input was made,  well   just 2% up for 0.1 second.

I was curious to see if indeed no RC could be made in this overheat autolanding,
AFAIK there is no autolanding where you cannot control the craft using the sticks.

AND...warning "Aircraft overheated. Unable to continue using. Wait until aircraft cools down"  bit weird message to show to the remote pilot while flying!! WAIT DJI ??

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-7-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i missed it, in which post did the poster claim he actually gave the rc any stick input?  /s
2022-7-26
Use props
Ragstaaf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79318 ft
Netherlands

Just checked my Airdata logs. Highest temperature was 48,4C (119F) and outside temp at the time was 27,9C (82F). i ended my flight because of empty battery, so It couldn't get any hotter.
But since I don't have any insurance with refresh, what will DJI do If my drones force landed in water for instance without my fault?
2022-7-26
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-26 12:36
i missed it, in which post did the poster claim he actually gave the rc any stick input?  /s

It was implied in post #45  "The drone reverted to forced landing mode and I had zero control over it."
2022-7-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-26 13:20
It was implied in post #45  "The drone reverted to forced landing mode and I had zero control over it."

actually it was implied in several posts and even when asked specifically he only said yes but he never actually said it directly.  which means either he doesn't know/understand (what he is being asked) or he lacks candor.  i get it, when your drone is going down and you see "forced" message, the panic of trying to control the drone can certainly feel like you are "locked out" and you call it "zero control" especially if your efforts are unsuccessful.  i probably would have believed a brief attempt followed quickly by simply giving up which would be described as "falls straight down below on top of...."  however, i'm curious the explanation for what happened to his stick inputs, what says he. ;)
2022-7-26
Use props
DroneGameChanger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flown my Mini 3 Pro in 92 degrees and nothing happened
2022-7-26
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298963 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-26 12:15
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your log, see my chart of your data.

Thanks for the analysis! Yeah so as soon as I noticed it was autolanding I tried to put some stick input in... I guess for only .1 seconds hahaha. It seemed like it wasn't doing anything so I rushed out to catch my drone bc it was going to land in some tall grass in the yard and I didn't want to mess the blades up.

I did try to recreate the situation the next day, and long story short (see my other post on this thread for more details), I couldn't get it to overheat in the air. Oddly enough, the batter temps got even higher when I tried to recreate it, and it still didn't overheat. I was hoping to test the control inputs again to see if there truly is no input allowed, as well as to gauge a good internal temp that I should stop flying at before overheating. I think 60C is a comfortable margin, but I can't be 100% sure haha.

One final note- I chatted with DJI about this. They didn't want the flight logs. They just wanted me to turn the drone in for analysis with their engineers. I asked them if they'd give me a loaner drone while they have mine, and they said nope haha. So I kindly declined. Once they realized I wouldn't send it in, he asked me for the drone serial number. Then when he looked it up in the system, magically my drone was eligible for free return/replacement. It seems they REALLY want to get their hands on my drone. I'm not 100% sure I want to send it back to them TBH. It seems like the overheating in flight issue is a time bomb waiting to go off, and I'm not sure DJI really understands that. If enough of these drones are lost, and if influencers/journalists start to lose them, it's going to become a big deal.
2022-7-26
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-26 17:55
Thanks for the analysis! Yeah so as soon as I noticed it was autolanding I tried to put some stick input in... I guess for only .1 seconds hahaha. It seemed like it wasn't doing anything so I rushed out to catch my drone bc it was going to land in some tall grass in the yard and I didn't want to mess the blades up.

I did try to recreate the situation the next day, and long story short (see my other post on this thread for more details), I couldn't get it to overheat in the air. Oddly enough, the batter temps got even higher when I tried to recreate it, and it still didn't overheat. I was hoping to test the control inputs again to see if there truly is no input allowed, as well as to gauge a good internal temp that I should stop flying at before overheating. I think 60C is a comfortable margin, but I can't be 100% sure haha.

Okay but I'm trying to understand why you don't want to turn it in for a different one that might not overheat and potentially cause more issues for yourself and your drone?
If I purchased a new car and it started to overheat and cause me to crash or do more harm to the car, I'd return it back to the dealer immediately.
But to each there own..............
2022-7-26
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Benjamin Stone Posted at 7-26 17:55
Thanks for the analysis! Yeah so as soon as I noticed it was autolanding I tried to put some stick input in... I guess for only .1 seconds hahaha. It seemed like it wasn't doing anything so I rushed out to catch my drone bc it was going to land in some tall grass in the yard and I didn't want to mess the blades up.

I did try to recreate the situation the next day, and long story short (see my other post on this thread for more details), I couldn't get it to overheat in the air. Oddly enough, the batter temps got even higher when I tried to recreate it, and it still didn't overheat. I was hoping to test the control inputs again to see if there truly is no input allowed, as well as to gauge a good internal temp that I should stop flying at before overheating. I think 60C is a comfortable margin, but I can't be 100% sure haha.

Don't fly over any large bodies of water on hot days till you get the problem sorted...
Just an idea...
2022-7-26
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2015627 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 7-26 18:08
Okay but I'm trying to understand why you don't want to turn it in for a different one that might not overheat and potentially cause more issues for yourself and your drone?
If I purchased a new car and it started to overheat and cause me to crash or do more harm to the car, I'd return it back to the dealer immediately.
I can’t confirm they all overheat, but I can confirm that my first M3P overheated, forced landed on a busy road and was crushed and destroyed by a vehicle, and the replacement I received also overheated and entered into forced landing mode, the second time though, I was able to retrieve it.

As far as stick input and control, I can also confirm that you have none.

Forced landing means exactly that. Wherever the aircraft is at that moment, it’s going to land over the point it’s at when it goes into forced landing mode.

You can’t steer it or stop it.

This is not good.

2022-7-26
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-26 18:42
I can’t confirm they all overheat, but I can confirm that my first M3P overheated, forced landed on a busy road and was crushed and destroyed by a vehicle, and the replacement I received also overheated and entered into forced landing mode, the second time though, I was able to retrieve it.

Agreed. This is not good
2022-7-26
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-26 18:42
I can’t confirm they all overheat, but I can confirm that my first M3P overheated, forced landed on a busy road and was crushed and destroyed by a vehicle, and the replacement I received also overheated and entered into forced landing mode, the second time though, I was able to retrieve it.

refer to JJB*"s  thread # 71 to upload your logs to see what happened. If you want to know.
2022-7-26
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 7-26 18:08
Okay but I'm trying to understand why you don't want to turn it in for a different one that might not overheat and potentially cause more issues for yourself and your drone?

Mainly because I don't want to wait for them to send a replacement. But you do make a good point, and I'm definitely willing to consider it!
2022-7-27
Use props
Benjamin Stone
lvl.1
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-26 18:26
Don't fly over any large bodies of water on hot days till you get the problem sorted...
Just an idea...

Completely agree!
2022-7-27
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

With lipo batteries, I imagine there might be some concern about fire at extreme temperatures, which might be why the decision was made to immediately land (with no ability to control) was made…. Imagine if the drone caught fire and then set something else ablaze (forest, structure)…. Who would be responsible for the damage?

Between eliminating the cooling fan and increasing performance, it seems the Mini 3 tends to run hot - add high ambient temperatures combined with lipo batteries and this is the result…
2022-8-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Does anyone know exactly what is overheating? Is it the battery? ESC? Or processor?
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TomKatt Posted at 8-2 15:21
With lipo batteries, I imagine there might be some concern about fire at extreme temperatures, which might be why the decision was made to immediately land (with no ability to control) was made…. Imagine if the drone caught fire and then set something else ablaze (forest, structure)…. Who would be responsible for the damage?

Between eliminating the cooling fan and increasing performance, it seems the Mini 3 tends to run hot - add high ambient temperatures combined with lipo batteries and this is the result…

c'mon tom, the mini 3 pro is not a fire hazard.
2022-8-2
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-2 15:37
Does anyone know exactly what is overheating? Is it the battery? ESC? Or processor?

I’m not certain, but earlier in the thread someone posted data indicating that it’s the battery.

I’m the one who started the thread, and since my replacement drone overheated and forced landed after the first one did and was destroyed, I haven’t had another incident…only because I monitor the battery temperature, and immediately RTH when it reaches 50C.

It would be optimal if DJI could incorporate some sort of 5 minute warning if the drone senses an overheat/forced landing event, but instead of that, they could also let you see the battery temperature by pressing the time remaining battery indicator in the Fly App.

When you do that now, it only tells you time remaining before RTH, Forced Landing…which is based on battery level, not the advent of battery or aircraft overheat, and time to battery depletion.

Currently, the only way to check the battery temperature is by going into the safety menu, which is really inconvenient while in flight.

I hope the DJI team is working on it.
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 8-2 19:59
I’m not certain, but earlier in the thread someone posted data indicating that it’s the battery.

I’m the one who started the thread, and since my replacement drone overheated and forced landed after the first one did and was destroyed, I haven’t had another incident…only because I monitor the battery temperature, and immediately RTH when it reaches 50C.

no they are not working on a countdown time to overheating warning or anything similar.  
2022-8-2
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-2 20:05
no they are not working on a countdown time to overheating warning or anything similar.

That’s fine.

That would be optimal, but instead of that, like I said, maybe they’re working on restoring the battery temperature indication when you press the battery percentage indicator, which is what previous versions of the Fly App let you do, instead of having to dig into the Safety menu while in flight.

2022-8-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-2 19:32
At the time of this 10.5 mile non-stop flight it was 89•.  No overheating.  No forced landing.

https://youtu.be/jdfGQZfOWFA

I think forward flight enables it to keep its cool, so to speak, hovering for x amount of time on the other hand would probably be an issue with those ambient temps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was flying in 30ºC and the battery reached a max of 49.7ºC with no forced landing, i was, however, moving, for the most part, flight specs,
take-off 91%,
24.18 minutes on battery,
5.38km total travelled.
Landed at 13%

Its not very far so some slow flight and some hovering was involved, it was the Steam Rally i was filming.

Screenshot 2022-08-03 051511.png
2022-8-2
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Will someone fly it and then check the temperature of the heatsink? From everything I have seen and heard, it ain't the battery overheating.
2022-8-3
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

Ambient temperature 32.5°C and a normal flight, much back and forth.

After that I had done a hyperlapse, here the battery only heated up to 49°C, although the drone was almost only in one place. This disproves the theory that only forward flight cools.
The M3P also cools when hovering.
2022-8-5
Use props
fly.overflying
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-2 19:32
At the time of this 10.5 mile non-stop flight it was 89•.  No overheating.  No forced landing.

https://youtu.be/jdfGQZfOWFA

Great video! Which RC is your aircraft connected to?
2022-8-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-3 05:41
Will someone fly it and then check the temperature of the heatsink? From everything I have seen and heard, it ain't the battery overheating.

That would make sense, i suppose though that it would have a knock-on effect with heating the battery or vice versa?

Form what i can make out, the forward movement would cool the motherboard and components while the prop wash is for cooling the battery compartment, or are both cooling methods for the drone as a whole?
2022-8-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 8-8 21:39
That would make sense, i suppose though that it would have a knock-on effect with heating the battery or vice versa?

Form what i can make out, the forward movement would cool the motherboard and components while the prop wash is for cooling the battery compartment, or are both cooling methods for the drone as a whole?

Ken Heron used a FLIR to record his Mini 3. VERY telling. Watch the first couple minutes here.
2022-8-9
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-9 08:46
Ken Heron used a FLIR to record his Mini 3. VERY telling. Watch the first couple minutes here.
https://youtu.be/g8K3SMRaSSA?t=21

Surprised Ken didn't get a compass error taking off from his car
2022-8-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-9 08:46
https://youtu.be/g8K3SMRaSSA?t=21

Interestingly, those vents being above the battery, heat rises etc so i bet the batteries play a big part in the heat up, maybe not all but they will have a part in it for sure, thanks for the share.
2022-8-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 8-9 17:56
Surprised Ken didn't get a compass error taking off from his car

What we didn't see was Ken turning it on, if it is turned on and the initial startup has done its part (gimbal dance finished) away from any magnetic source then they can take off anything they like, that's not specific to the MM3P either.
2022-8-9
Use props
Rony Moura
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64003 ft
Portugal

It's today UNFORTUNATELY it happened to me and I had my drone, bought after fighting and working hard, totally destroyed with no chance of defense, the worst thing is that it's only been 25 days since I bought it...
2022-9-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Rony Moura Posted at 9-7 13:59
It's today UNFORTUNATELY it happened to me and I had my drone, bought after fighting and working hard, totally destroyed with no chance of defense, the worst thing is that it's only been 25 days since I bought it...

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about that. May we know if your drone can work normally or not? If it has crashed, you are advised to contact our team via support@dji.com to open a case and send it back for further testing. Thank you.
2022-9-8
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

There should be no gauges, no alarms or additional clutter and no FORCED LANDINGS. If the AC overheats it should turn off video recording, sensor processing and radio link as all these things generate additional heat and just initiate GPS RTH.
2022-9-8
Use props
JoeFlyZone
lvl.1
United States

Ragstaaf Posted at 7-26 13:07
Just checked my Airdata logs. Highest temperature was 48,4C (119F) and outside temp at the time was 27,9C (82F). i ended my flight because of empty battery, so It couldn't get any hotter.
But since I don't have any insurance with refresh, what will DJI do If my drones force landed in water for instance without my fault?

I just got my drone...have done several flights. low altitude.  I live near an airport and have several GEO Zones around me.   I was just starting to fly five miles from the airport at about 90feet up where the FAA ceiling is 200ft.  50-degrees out, and I was 45-seconds into the flight, so heat couldn't have been the issue.  Regardless, the warning came up "forced landing" and it proceeded to land my drone right in the middle of a lake.  I could do nothing with the controls.
Does anyone have a suggestion?  I regrettably went flying before fully understanding all circumstances that are possible.  I was merely worried about the battery power, the height I was flying, avoiding obstacles, being conscious of any persons or property beneath me, around me.... I didn't account for it to force a landing.  No...they don't float.  It's about 35 feet down....
2022-9-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JoeFlyZone Posted at 9-12 13:51
I just got my drone...have done several flights. low altitude.  I live near an airport and have several GEO Zones around me.   I was just starting to fly five miles from the airport at about 90feet up where the FAA ceiling is 200ft.  50-degrees out, and I was 45-seconds into the flight, so heat couldn't have been the issue.  Regardless, the warning came up "forced landing" and it proceeded to land my drone right in the middle of a lake.  I could do nothing with the controls.
Does anyone have a suggestion?  I regrettably went flying before fully understanding all circumstances that are possible.  I was merely worried about the battery power, the height I was flying, avoiding obstacles, being conscious of any persons or property beneath me, around me.... I didn't account for it to force a landing.  No...they don't float.  It's about 35 feet down....

Hi Joe,

If you like to get help/advice upload your log for this flight.

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

post the upload link on here

cheers
JJB
2022-9-13
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1259715 ft
United States

I ordered one, hasn't shipped yet, half tempted to cancel the order. I'm not too keen on $800 deciding to land wherever it wants. Not worth the risk.
2022-9-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JLB768 Posted at 9-13 05:33
I ordered one, hasn't shipped yet, half tempted to cancel the order. I'm not too keen on $800 deciding to land wherever it wants. Not worth the risk.

Hi,

DJI drones do not land wherever it wants.....so do not cancel and enjoy flying.

There is always a reason/explantion for a forced landing!

One reason : fly without a GPS lock into a GEO zone. One locked it will land, but during landing controls are working....if you flying above water and you cannot reach dry land....bad luck.

cheers
JJB

2022-9-13
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 9-13 06:04
Hi,

DJI drones do not land wherever it wants.....so do not cancel and enjoy flying.

It appears that the Reason/Explanation is heat. I looked further into this googling, not liking what I'm reading. I'm extremely hesitant to pretend it's an $800 pet, and go along the old saying...If you love something, set it free, if it comes back...Not too fond of how this old saying ends.
2022-9-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

JLB768 Posted at 9-13 06:44
It appears that the Reason/Explanation is heat. I looked further into this googling, not liking what I'm reading. I'm extremely hesitant to pretend it's an $800 pet, and go along the old saying...If you love something, set it free, if it comes back...Not too fond of how this old saying ends.

well  only the log will tell more....

But in 45seconds in flight, heat most likely not the cause of this

cheers
JJB
2022-9-13
Use props
JLB768
lvl.2
United States

I'm not a gambling man.
2022-9-13
Use props
Rony Moura
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64003 ft
Portugal

This happened to me and I even reported it here, now I received a message from this company, trying to blame me, saying that I was flying close to an airport,
where I live, the law is specific and says that it is RECOMMENDED 8km from the airport, but they don't say they will take down your drone...

Now I'm going to fight to spread how dirty this company is here in Europe, Europe as a whole is worthless.

They pretend to be the good ones, but in the end after selling, they tell you to fuck off.

That is, the equipment came down ALONE, I didn't have any control over it, and now they want me to pay a repair of 200 euros.

REPAIR of a ZERO KILOMETRO aircraft, REPAIR
photo_5861976905991961295_y.jpg
2022-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules