Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mini 3 Pro Aircraft Overheat And Forced Landing
12473 184 2022-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Rony Moura Posted at 9-21 15:08
This happened to me and I even reported it here, now I received a message from this company, trying to blame me, saying that I was flying close to an airport,
where I live, the law is specific and says that it is RECOMMENDED 8km from the airport, but they don't say they will take down your drone...

Hi, there.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.
We will confirm with the relevant team about your problem and keep you updated here asap.
Thank you.
2022-9-21
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300446 ft
United States

I just received my mini 3 pro a few days ago. I've only experienced a couple overheating issues. Once while updating and again when I just had it on but not flying.  

This thread really worries me because I fly it around my neighborhood. Usually over the street but sometimes over houses with about 130ft up high and don't hover over houses.

Has this forced landing issue been resolved?  I'm worried about it overheating and without warning it will just decide to land in the street or in someone's back yard.

I bought the warranty/refresh but if it lands then whoever finds it will have all my pictures on that memory card and who knows what they will do if this lands and hits someone or something.

Will dji send me a replacement if it force lands and I am unable to get it back?

I don’t want to try to return it but I didn't spend 1300+ to worry about a lawsuit if it lands and hits someone

I would be happy with some kind of guage showing when its getting close to overheating
2022-10-18
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
United States

Im hoping there's already a fix and im going off of outdated news
2022-10-18
Use props
djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5
lvl.1
United States

No updates?
2022-10-19
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2015627 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5 Posted at 10-19 08:03
No updates?

I started this thread and I can tell you that there is no fix and that there probably will not be. The only thing you can do at the moment is frequently monitor the temperature of the battery which is what I do now when I fly especially if the duration is over say six or seven minutes. My personal rule is to never to fly when the outside air temperature is above 35°C and return to home if the battery gets past 45°C.

So far implementing my own personal rule I have had no force landings but I have had the duration of my flight time shorten because of it. When this happened to me it was one of the more stressful things  I've ever experienced, but the passage of time has just caused me to develop my own workaround to prevent some sort of forced landing  from happening in the first place.  
2022-10-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_pKJTzQYO6mR5 Posted at 10-18 02:37
I just received my mini 3 pro a few days ago. I've only experienced a couple overheating issues. Once while updating and again when I just had it on but not flying.  

This thread really worries me because I fly it around my neighborhood. Usually over the street but sometimes over houses with about 130ft up high and don't hover over houses.

having you thought about taking out a good insurance policy to protect you while fly your unsafe drone?
2022-10-19
Use props
djiuser_xc6JEdmgW3Xz
New

United States

I am contemplating purchasing the mini 3 pro.
I live in south florida with high winds and temperatures.
It seems this is a real problem due to the drone’s design and if so, how come we havent seen more comments about this issue from all the reviewers / users posting their experience with the mini 3 or is this a problem related to faulty units?
The idea of having an uncontrolled forced landing unexpectedly  is not good at all.
Would this issue be particularly more problematic for users in warmer areas?
2022-11-1
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a mini 3 Pro and wonder if this problem with overheating and forced landing is solved yet, as well as the fogging of the lens.  
Forced landing and no control without any warning is dangerous if the drone gets overheated.
I would really like to learn if these issues have been solved.
Thanks.
2022-11-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 11-6 05:58
Hi,
I am thinking of buying a mini 3 Pro and wonder if this problem with overheating and forced landing is solved yet, as well as the fogging of the lens.  
Forced landing and no control without any warning is dangerous if the drone gets overheated.

Hi,

I recently bought a Mini3Pro.  

No fogging of the lens. No overheat issues, but highest OAT flown about 25 degrees C.

cheers
JJB
2022-11-6
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-6 07:20
Hi,

Hi JJB,
Thanks for your reply and glad to hear that your Mini 3 Pro is working well. I keep an eye out for a while still and if nothing more drastic happens I will place an order. It should not be a problem with the temp up here north.
Cheers
2022-11-6
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

We can have +40 in summer. I wanted there to be a warning about approaching the critical temperature for a controlled self-landing. This can happen over water, in a hard-to-reach area, or over people.
2022-11-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

the overheating issue will be resolved in about 30 days for half of us.  
2022-11-7
Use props
djiuser_r6ZCP2heztV7
New
Australia

I just purchased my DJI Mini 3 Pro, not even tried to fly yet as it was dark when the package arrived. So I was activating it followed by a firmware update when it suddenly turned off in middle of (60%) firmware installation process with a message:

"Auto Off. Aircraft sitting for extended period. Powering off automatically. Wait until aircraft cools down."

WTF.... I am already concerned without even trying to fly off with this thing... What to expect when it overheats without doing anything??? I can imagine serious problem if the drone falls off the sky and kills someone!

2022-11-20
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_r6ZCP2heztV7 Posted at 11-20 07:47
I just purchased my DJI Mini 3 Pro, not even tried to fly yet as it was dark when the package arrived. So I was activating it followed by a firmware update when it suddenly turned off in middle of (60%) firmware installation process with a message:

"Auto Off. Aircraft sitting for extended period. Powering off automatically. Wait until aircraft cools down."

your drone will not fall out of the sky and kill anyone; i promise you that.  just read the entire thread, the 4 pages before your post, and then let us know if you have any more questions.
2022-11-20
Use props
djiuser_SdiqRUQKXMqb
New
Flight distance : 78675 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-21 20:54
Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do our best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

This same issue happened to me today while flying in 69 degree weather. The mini 3 pro made a 10 minutes flight and then I got the overheating message while the drone was hovering for around 10 minutes. Was glad I was over my property or I would have lost the drone. I did have minimal movement on the sticks. I'm afraid to fly again until issue is resolved.
2022-11-28
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_SdiqRUQKXMqb Posted at 11-28 10:48
This same issue happened to me today while flying in 69 degree weather. The mini 3 pro made a 10 minutes flight and then I got the overheating message while the drone was hovering for around 10 minutes. Was glad I was over my property or I would have lost the drone. I did have minimal movement on the sticks. I'm afraid to fly again until issue is resolved.

just dont hover
2022-11-28
Use props
Jupiter1TX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3570 ft
United States

I new this mini fan would come in handy one day!!!
No problems doing update.

fan

fan

2022-11-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_SdiqRUQKXMqb Posted at 11-28 10:48
This same issue happened to me today while flying in 69 degree weather. The mini 3 pro made a 10 minutes flight and then I got the overheating message while the drone was hovering for around 10 minutes. Was glad I was over my property or I would have lost the drone. I did have minimal movement on the sticks. I'm afraid to fly again until issue is resolved.

How would you propose DJI "resolve the issue"?
2022-11-28
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Kazakhstan

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-28 15:33
How would you propose DJI "resolve the issue"?

Advance warning that overheating is coming soon. The pilot will be able to assess the situation and land the drone himself or move to a safer landing site.
2022-11-28
Use props
djiuser_4l7wcJ9ItdqL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55144 ft
Netherlands

ok guys, i hit a tree, misjudged the height from my point of view, sh+t happens,
the drone imediatly shut down to overheating, so didnt found it back......GPS location spot on, but witout making a sound it was never to be found....
now what? should it switch itself off within seconds after a crash? does it get so hot whilst flying? i think it is a flaw in the design if it does.....
Mini 3 Pro
2023-2-27
Use props
djiuser_4l7wcJ9ItdqL
lvl.1
Netherlands

btw, what are you thoughts about this? it improves airflow,so it reduces heating  the guy(dutch vidoegrapher) states it helps a lot, and this is a raw try out, done by a hot solding iron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yY6ACvxCdg

2023-2-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_4l7wcJ9ItdqL Posted at 2-27 07:13
ok guys, i hit a tree, misjudged the height from my point of view, sh+t happens,
the drone imediatly shut down to overheating, so didnt found it back......GPS location spot on, but witout making a sound it was never to be found....
now what? should it switch itself off within seconds after a crash? does it get so hot whilst flying? i think it is a flaw in the design if it does.....

Hi,

In the flightlog the last position is written, so that tree can be found....

share your flightlog > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-2-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_4l7wcJ9ItdqL Posted at 2-27 07:54
btw, what are you thoughts about this? it improves airflow,so it reduces heating  the guy(dutch vidoegrapher) states it helps a lot, and this is a raw try out, done by a hot solding iron

What overheats, the drone or the battery?
If the drone what part of the drone and where is it, above or below the battery?
Unless, because of those holes, air can circulates within the battery shell i.e. up through those holes and then out through the gaps around the battery clips then I imagine no significant gain in battery cooling. If there is circulation and hot air escapes around the battery clips where is that hot air going to go, can it reach the outside air without passing through the drone.
Battery warranty is almost certainly voided.
2023-2-27
Use props
dnddad324
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 2022-11-6 07:20
Hi,

Is it possible to fly the Mini 3 pro with the gimbal protector on?

I ask because I remember someone posting about having the issue with the Mini 2 overheating while in flight. The issue was they were flying with the gimbal protector on so if they crashed, it would still be protected.

2023-2-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

dnddad324 Posted at 2-27 12:23
Is it possible to fly the Mini 3 pro with the gimbal protector on?

I ask because I remember someone posting about having the issue with the Mini 2 overheating while in flight. The issue was they were flying with the gimbal protector on so if they crashed, it would still be protected.

Nope, gimbal cannot move free through the whole range.

2023-2-27
Use props
cmarines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 331762 ft
Canada

JJB* Posted at 2-27 12:25
Nope, gimbal cannot move free through the whole range.

I did take off once with gimbal protection by mistake.
After takeoff, I got a message on remote control telling me the gimbal protection need to be removed. So it was somehow detected.
I did land and removed the protection and fly again. It has a feature to detect that protection.
2023-2-27
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Kazakhstan

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-27 10:09
If the drone what part of the drone and where is it, above or below the battery?
Unless, because of those holes, air can circulates within the battery shell i.e. up through those holes and then out through the gaps around the battery clips then I imagine no significant gain in battery cooling. If there is circulation and hot air escapes around the battery clips where is that hot air going to go, can it reach the outside air without passing through the drone.

The gimbal covers the lower IR sensors, which are responsible for height measurement (up to 10m). You can crash or lose the drone.
In older versions of the cover, the camera was fixed.
2023-2-27
Use props
MarkTravel
lvl.1
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 2-27 09:25
Hi,

In the flightlog the last position is written, so that tree can be found....

i found the tree,based on GPS of the remotescreen within minutes.... but the mini3pro switched off allready... so in those Malaysian woods, without sound, no chance..
2023-2-28
Use props
MarkTravel
lvl.1
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-27 10:09

i can not see what overheats.... the drone is gone, and it gave just a general overheat error when it switched off, but what in the drone can overheat? i do not have a clue how these things function,
Perhaps a processor? or the battery? there are verry likely more advanced technicians then me on this forum...
2023-2-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_4l7wcJ9ItdqL Posted at 2-27 07:54

Hes a bit of an idiot to do that,    cut too deep and that battery could well go pop,   and of course no warranty now, Ive already had to claim for 2 new batteries from DJI as they have some issues with the clips.  
2023-2-28
Use props
TJay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 415830 ft
United States

I just got my mini 3 pro with Goggles Integra and motion controller 2. I flew it in the back yard for maybe 10 minutes. I landed it and right afterwards I got a warning message that said "aircraft processor overheat - aircraft shutting down". Good thing I was already on the ground. The outside air temp is only 73°F. I'm a bit worried to fly it now. I'd hate to have it do a forced shutdown. I'll contact DJI see what they have to say.
2023-5-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In seconds what constitutes "right afterwards"?
What sort of flying had you been doing?
Perhaps you could post the flight log and DAT?
2023-5-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TJay Posted at 5-13 15:31
I just got my mini 3 pro with Goggles Integra and motion controller 2. I flew it in the back yard for maybe 10 minutes. I landed it and right afterwards I got a warning message that said "aircraft processor overheat - aircraft shutting down". Good thing I was already on the ground. The outside air temp is only 73°F. I'm a bit worried to fly it now. I'd hate to have it do a forced shutdown. I'll contact DJI see what they have to say.

How long was it sitting on the ground before you got the warning?
How much hovering were you doing directly prior to landing?

73F external air temp is not very hot at all, i would expect 30C+ with zero wind speed before you would see any warnings about overheating, unless either of the above or both were a part of it.

Perhaps there's more CPU/GPU usage involved when using goggles and motion 2 RC, this would cause over heating to occur sooner than it normally would.
2023-5-13
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Hi all,

Have been reading everything about this overheating problem. This thread started 21 July 2022 and last tread was just yesterday at 17:22. Still no solution from DJI?
I was just sitting summing up all items to purchase the Mini 3 pro and thought that I check this thread to see if the problem have been solved.
If there would have been may people with this problem, I thought that we would have heard from more people by now, but not.
As the weather is cooler up north where I am, I think I will take the chance and place an order for the Mini2 and RC with the screen on.
2023-5-14
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

I found this thread at the right time, just yesterday I flew an unplanned flight right in the afternoon sun where ambient temperature was 42°C, drone few normally without any warnings however I was concerned about the temperature. When it landed it was hot to touch but zero warning during flight. Need to check my flight logs for the sensor data.
2023-5-14
Use props
WN1X
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37884 ft
United States

It would be helpful if DJI would tell us what they consider safe flying temperatures for the battery?
2023-5-15
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Kazakhstan

WN1X Posted at 5-15 04:05
It would be helpful if DJI would tell us what they consider safe flying temperatures for the battery?

https://www.dji.com/mini-3-pro/specs
Operating Temperature: -10° to 40° C (14° to 104° F)
2023-5-15
Use props
WN1X
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37884 ft
United States

Drone.Hunter Posted at 5-15 07:06
https://www.dji.com/mini-3-pro/specs
Operating Temperature: -10° to 40° C (14° to 104° F)

That is drone operating temperature not the battery temperature. LiPo cells are designed for cells to run between -20 and 60 degrees Celsius. I recent five minute test flight with minimal hovering, my batteries reached 49 degrees Celsius.
2023-5-15
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

DJI, add temperature sensors to the screen and add warning if it's getting to hot so user will have time to initiate rth or move the drone to safe at least.
2023-5-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

bxq Posted at 5-15 07:30
DJI, add temperature sensors to the screen and add warning if it's getting to hot so user will have time to initiate rth or move the drone to safe at least.

Hi, bxq. Thanks for reaching out, and sharing your valuable suggestions. We have your feedback noted and this will be forwarded to the related team for attention. Have a nice day!
2023-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules