Battery RTH is a huge issue
508 0 2022-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Morotezuki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1651473 ft
United States

TL;DR: The Battery RTH will cut out all your controls and starts to ascend at nearly full throttle without warning. And you may not be able to regain control even after you cancel RTH.

This picture shows that even with the warning at 8s, the Aircraft actually has already changed into RTH mode and is ignoring all my inputs and ascending at nearly full throttle. This caused my aircraft to hit the top of a narrow tunnel I was flying through, and I did not regain control even after I canceled the RTH mode, the motor was overloading, and eventually, one of the props hit the ceiling and caused the aircraft to tip over. Luckily I only lost a prop and got some minor scratches.

Reading through the forum, it looks like the same situation caused lots of crashes already: the low battery RTH starts immediately, which will cut out all your controls and ascend at a very high speed and does NOT give you a warning. The RTH actually starts at the beginning of the 10s warning. This means when you see the warning, it may already be too late as the RTH has already taken over control. If you happen to be under something at this time, it's a guaranteed crash.
I was flying through a very narrow space today when an auto RTH warning showed up "RTH in 5s". The flight log showed the warning started at 10s, however, the goggle only gave readouts at 5s. I immediately reached for the pause button to cancel, but as my footage and flight log will back up, the aircraft started ascending when the warning reached 8s (Prior to the warning popping up in my goggles). For some reason, I was not able to control the aircraft even after the RTH was canceled (perhaps due to another RTH being started? there are two types of battery RTH), eventually causing the craft to crash while it could easily be avoided (the RC throttle was at 0 position at the moment).

Why did DJI make a warning when the RTH actually starts as soon as the warning comes up? It's extremely dangerous to lose control of your aircraft, and you have a setting for RTH logic when the signal is lost, why can't we do the same for battery RTH?

2022-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules