DJI determined to push FPV customers away
1503 14 2022-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
Flight distance : 615361 ft
United Kingdom

First things first, I think DJI make some really well engineered products and I have felt as an amateur that they get an unncessarily hard time by the FPV community which I assumed as a mature user they were more inclined to racier product offerings.

Unfortunately I am coming around to the opinion of my younger breathern and the most fustrating thing is that its an unforced error. DJI just have such poor product management / customer awareness that they drive folks away. Lets ignore the fact that DJI sells the same product in dollars for the exact same unit number of UK pounds, thats a 20% markup already. *****Edit: Its been kindly pointed out ( by @jfbond) that the 20% discrepancy was to do with the US/UK tax system and I was being plain dumb.******

We have the bigger issue of just taking the advantage of customer ( or just being daft ), take for instance the DJI FPV Air Unit, which is a great way for DJI to integrate to non DJI drones using their excellent googles for instance. Unfortunately DJI decided that this is still not enough, we also to need to force DJI FPV owners to buy another handset (retailing at around £300) that does exactly the same thing as their DJI FPV 2 controller ( this new controller your forced to buy only works with the DJI FPV Air Unit mind ). Why would you do this.....?

This is just a firmware change to make their current handsets work with the DJI FPV Air Unit, DJI just want the additional cost of another drone for another handset that nobody really wants to buy. With this type of carry on its becoming increasingly hard to justify having DJI kit because they just keep taking the pi*s even though it will ultimately drive those like myself who dont want to spend my nights soldering to other ready-to-fly drone vendors.

P.s. The engineering decision to make the DJI FPV without plug and play arms that do not require soldering was just plain dumb, the drone itself is pretty awesome, DJI could have really captivated the market with this simple feature. Instead its fragile and the awful problems I have had with care-refresh limit my willingness to invest in it long term. I am pretty confident instead of coming out with a upgrade to the original that does not force owners to have to buy a completely new unit (which is a win-win for DJI and customers) it will be yet more gouging through isolated peripherals and fragile quads that need to essentially be repeatedly rebought through their expensive care-refresh scheme (from some distance warehouse that takes weeks to access from the UK).
Edit: Did a quick google this morning and there is plenty of bad feeling about on why DJI FPV Googles were not made compliant with the DJI FPV Air Unit, looks like DJI decided to ignore their customers and focus on profit ( or made some very daft engineering choices by essentially ignoring their customers)

2022-7-22
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI has always been that way. Every item in the kit of an aircraft has always been fully custom for that aircraft, and very rarely are you able to reuse accessories like controllers with any of their other products. That's how we end up with as many controllers sitting on our shelves as we have aircraft with DJI's products.  I don't know why they do it that way, because it's expensive for DJI too, not just their customer base. But their pockets seem to be deep enough to afford to be kind of wasteful like that, so they probably just do that becuase they can.

And that's just part of being a DJI customer. You just have to expect each new product to be a full clean-sheet one-off design completely customized for just that product, with no backwards or forwards compatibility with anything else.

There are moves in that direction though, with the smart controllers. The first smart controller works with quite a few aircraft, and the new RC Pro now supports two aircraft (the M3 and the Air 2S). So at least with the camera drones, DJI is starting to figure out how to reuse at least some of their technology, without just doing a total clean-sheet totally brand new custom kit every time like they normally do.

As for FPV, I think they've dropped that market altogether, so I don't expect any of their FPV technology to ever be reused as-is in any future products. I have both of those too (the black controller for the Air Unit and the FPV drone kit) and they're great and I love em. But I don't expect any future support of either one. I don't expect much future for FPV from DJI at all going forward, to be honest  about it.

The RC Pro is encouraging though. I bought it for my M3 and it's a really nice piece of gear. And I could use at least 2 aircraft with it now, which is better than just one. Will DJI keep supporting it by making it work with future aircraft? Nobody knows but DJI. But I think so, if the original smart controller (which I also have) is any guide. So there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

2022-7-22
Use props
jfbond
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1240538 ft
Ireland

Isn't 20% the VAT you pay in the UK? That would account for the price difference you are referring to.
2022-7-22
Use props
fans9fb173e6
New
United States

This is interesting, as I was just looking into the FPV model. In all honesty, do you think I should look elsewhere?
2022-7-22
Use props
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans9fb173e6 Posted at 7-22 20:25
This is interesting, as I was just looking into the FPV model. In all honesty, do you think I should look elsewhere?

I would not recommend getting the current DJI FPV right now since it will likely be replaced in early 2023,  its fragile and as a result limits your FPV usage to cinematic at a distance from obstacles ( the care-refresh is also expensive and very un-reliable ). There is also the wider issue that I have raised above on whether I want to put my faith in a company that can't even connect to its own wider product range never mind 3rd parties.

I came from a DJI route into FPV so it seemed the right way to go for since I liked the RTH features etc, but if I were you I would get an iFlight Protek 35 and take a view on what flight system you want. The DJI Googles V2 historically were a real drive towards getting a Protek 35 with the DJI FPV Air Unit, but the are much better offerings now to compete with the DJI Googles (and having to pay the same money again for a controller as a drone that does not work with any other company is not worth it).

If I thought DJI would be sensible in future by .... :

-  bringing out replaceable arms for the current DJI FPV or provide some service to replace them so you don't have to buy a completely new drone ;
- providing integrated protectors to current model (like everyone else does in the FPV community);
- allowing the DJI FPV controller 2 handset to be used with the DJI FPV Air Unit;
- not forcing customers to buy their peripherals ( especially when inferior);

then I would say go for it but its not going to happen. Its why none of the well known FPVrs out there use a DJI FPV drone and why it will likely be my last, DJI appear (as eleoquently statef above by @luciens) to be stuck in that mindset of every product range is standalone, has care-refresh ..... which does not translate well to FPV.

2022-7-22
Use props
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
United Kingdom

jfbond Posted at 7-22 07:31
Isn't 20% the VAT you pay in the UK? That would account for the price difference you are referring to.

Your not wrong, I checked this out and your right the US has a combined tax at state level which is about 1-10% (which I am not sure how its treated for online purchases ) and the UK has a flat 20% rate which is the price difference to within a few pence. This has cheered me up and part transferred  DJI hate to the UK government .

Still no idea why DJI cannot have a warehouse in the UK though so we don't have to send stuff to Holland....
2022-7-22
Use props
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 7-22 05:34
DJI has always been that way. Every item in the kit of an aircraft has always been fully custom for that aircraft, and very rarely are you able to reuse accessories like controllers with any of their other products. That's how we end up with as many controllers sitting on our shelves as we have aircraft with DJI's products.  I don't know why they do it that way, because it's expensive for DJI too, not just their customer base. But their pockets seem to be deep enough to afford to be kind of wasteful like that, so they probably just do that becuase they can.

And that's just part of being a DJI customer. You just have to expect each new product to be a full clean-sheet one-off design completely customized for just that product, with no backwards or forwards compatibility with anything else.

You have articulated the issue much better than I did, your right they make standalone offerings which just don't work with anything else even though it does not make sense for them to do it.

Its almost random as well what they decide will work with what, the googles will work for different controllers but the controllers are kept isolated ( or not depending on the controller type).

2022-7-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we’re sorry for any inconvenience caused. Due to the difference in product supply channels as well as exchange rates and tariffs incurred in different regions, the prices of the products in different regions will vary slightly. You may refer to the price information given on the DJI online store of your current region. Thank you for your understanding and support. If you encounter any issues while using the drone or DJI Care Refresh, please feel free to contact us and tell us the details.
2022-7-23
Use props
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-23 02:02
Hi there, we’re sorry for any inconvenience caused. Due to the difference in product supply channels as well as exchange rates and tariffs incurred in different regions, the prices of the products in different regions will vary slightly. You may refer to the price information given on the DJI online store of your current region. Thank you for your understanding and support. If you encounter any issues while using the drone or DJI Care Refresh, please feel free to contact us and tell us the details.

I have acknowledged my mistake and edited my initial message.
2022-7-23
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans9fb173e6 Posted at 7-22 20:25

IMO, it would depend on what you want to do. If you're into racing or freestyle, I personally wouldn't recommend it. It's just not built for that kind of duty.

OTOH, it's got some advantages over a traditional FPV aircraft. I fly both - I have the DJI FPV and several 5" and 7" quads running the DJI Air Unit with Betaflight FC's. Those quads fly much more precisely with no shaking or wobbling in flight, so I prefer those in strong winds.

The biggest problem of the DJI FPV drone is the tune. We don't have access to the PID's, so we can't adjust the tune.  As it is, it shakes really bad when flying in rough air or wind. This causes the video to really shake hard in the goggles, which causes pilot fatigue very quickly. It's just no fun to fly in turbulence or windy conditions.

But the DJI FPV uses O3 so it has much better range than my other quads. The in-goggle video is also significantly better, as good as the video is with the Air Unit/Caddx Vista, etc. Also, the DJI FPV has normal and sport modes, where it flies just like a regular DJI camera aircraft. This is good if you've never flown FPV and want to learn how to fly.

So there's advantages and disadvantages. I still have my FPV drone and I still fly it when there's not a lot of wind. But when it's windy, it stays home on the shelf and I fly my regular quads (or my Mavic 3).

If you can find the combo at a discount, it's still a good deal, even though it's a dead product now. I don't think DJI is maintaining it anymore. I believe the V2 goggles are already out of production, so I would imagine the FPV drone will be dropped shortly too.
2022-7-23
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

luciens Posted at 7-22 05:34

Regarding your comment on DJI dropping FPV market, isn't DJI Avata due to come out within weeks?
It would have been released already if not because of the delay.
On the contrary, I think they are very much committed to the FPV market.
And DJI Avata design looks much less fragile and probably can withstand reasonable impact.

With a new batch of new drone users because of Mini 3 Pro, I would foresee a proportion of these new drone users would venture out into FPV drones.
2022-7-23
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nosnoop Posted at 7-23 08:49
Regarding your comment on DJI dropping FPV market, isn't DJI Avata due to come out within weeks?
It would have been released already if not because of the delay.
On the contrary, I think they are very much committed to the FPV market.

You may be right, but truth is I'm not sure of FPV's future at DJI. There are rumors of a "V3" goggle too, but those are just rumors. The Avata looks like just a small ciniwoop, and nobody really knows if they're going to improve their main FPV offerings.

I doubt it, and I'll believe it when I see it .

2022-7-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

HighlandAirhead Posted at 7-23 03:46
I have acknowledged my mistake and edited my initial message.

Thanks for the update. Should you have any further inquiries, please feel free to contact us.
2022-8-2
Use props
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 7-23 08:53
You may be right, but truth is I'm not sure of FPV's future at DJI. There are rumors of a "V3" goggle too, but those are just rumors. The Avata looks like just a small ciniwoop, and nobody really knows if they're going to improve their main FPV offerings.

I do hope not.

1. Googles are amazing, outstanding kit.

2. Batteries are amazing ( they should license this technology since its a MAJOR headache using LIPO)

3. The DJI FPV is a joy to fly and would require a few cosmetic changes to make it more acceptable in the DIY FPV community.

4. The RTH features have saved me more than a few times from losing my craft.

My comments above while contrary are to do with the wider acceptance of DJI FPV and to persuade them to change mindset. Its classic DJI though that customers are left to guess at future intentions, why the mystery, why do we have to wait for some random leak to know if a product is worth investing in?
2022-8-2
Use props
HighlandAirhead
lvl.2
United Kingdom

luciens Posted at 7-23 08:53

DJI Avata is coming out. What I am interested in:

1. Compatibility between the V2 Googles/ Controller and Avata ?

2. Whether V3 Googles / Controller are compatible with the AIr Unit / DJI FPV ?

2022-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules