After all the updates Is your Mini 3 Pro now working for you as y...
123Next >
8272 104 2022-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So as of the 22nd July 2022 there have been several updates to fix various issues that some people had. Do you now feel that the Mini 3 Pro is working well and you are now very happy with it.
Single SelectVote, Total 116 people participate in voting
58.62% (68)
41.38% (48)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-7-22
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Seriously ?
Does it really need the 57th goofy poll ?
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 7-22 09:15
Seriously ?

Well now let me think...................... Yup I have thought. So some advice you you. If you don't like it walk on down the bus...........
2022-7-22
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Seriously ?

Some people just never give up. I think he would have much better luck 8 months ago on the Mavic3 forums, when a lot of people were having issues and no answers from DJI. But apparently DJI has put in in so much more efforts and resources to fix known issues and adding new features to the Mini3 Pro much quicker than they did with the Mavic3.
2022-7-22
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 7-22 12:27
Some people just never give up. I think he would have much better luck 8 months ago on the Mavic3 forums, when a lot of people were having issues and no answers from DJI. But apparently DJI has put in in so much more efforts and resources to fix known issues and adding new features to the Mini3 Pro much quicker than they did with the Mavic3.

Hail to the fixes.  Hope we get a good one as im sticking with it
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well i chose a resounding no
2022-7-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 7-22 19:06
Ha ha, youre 3 for 3

You and I both know why you've made yet another poll don't we?

Good day, Bashy. I know some will disagree with me, I don't care. My controller arrow was about 5-7 degrees off also. NOT what I expected or paid for!! I tried this with my Air 2S. I carefully calibrated the IMU, then went outside and calibrated the drone compass. Since then, the arrow points where the drone is!!! No more than 1 or 2 degrees off, if that much. I haven't tried the controller in center, tomorrow I will. It was all over the place before, hopefully no longer.
2022-7-22
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

So the range issue doesn't seem to be an issue for most people now? I returned mine to DJI last week for repairs because of not being able to fly over 300 meters without losing signal. They informed me that they repaired a board on the RC and will be sending back in 3-5 business days after further evaluation. I told them that I also tried the same test using the RC-N1 from my Air 2S and still the same range issue. They appreciated my input so we'll see
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-22 19:28
Good day, Bashy. I know some will disagree with me, I don't care. My controller arrow was about 5-7 degrees off also. NOT what I expected or paid for!! I tried this with my Air 2S. I carefully calibrated the IMU, then went outside and calibrated the drone compass. Since then, the arrow points where the drone is!!! No more than 1 or 2 degrees off, if that much. I haven't tried the controller in center, tomorrow I will. It was all over the place before, hopefully no longer.

Perhaps you would enlighten us all as to how you are measuring the degrees of the arrow.

Further most competent drone pilots do not need that little arrow and can fly their drone using other information available to them.

There are courses available. You might like to attend one to ensure you can safely fly your drone
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 7-22 19:33
So the range issue doesn't seem to be an issue for most people now? I returned mine to DJI last week for repairs because of not being able to fly over 300 meters without losing signal. They informed me that they repaired a board on the RC and will be sending back in 3-5 business days after further evaluation. I told them that I also tried the same test using the RC-N1 from my Air 2S and still the same range issue. They appreciated my input so we'll see

Perhaps it is outside factors including possibly pilot error
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So in the minority at the moment
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-22 20:07
So in the minority at the moment

Still something wrong then and its not just me, so stop telling me its all fixed, not like you would know mind, you don't do any updates do you..... and before you start harping on, i had no choice, if i wanted to fly it i had to update else it was grounded!

Another proven point i made a while back when i told you then that DJI DO force you to update! remember? i said i knew of at least 2 occasions in the past when they did this ;)
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 7-22 19:33
So the range issue doesn't seem to be an issue for most people now? I returned mine to DJI last week for repairs because of not being able to fly over 300 meters without losing signal. They informed me that they repaired a board on the RC and will be sending back in 3-5 business days after further evaluation. I told them that I also tried the same test using the RC-N1 from my Air 2S and still the same range issue. They appreciated my input so we'll see

Hope you get it resolved, being in the US and having poor range, sommat had to be amiss for sure.
2022-7-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-22 20:05
Perhaps you would enlighten us all as to how you are measuring the degrees of the arrow.

Further most competent drone pilots do not need that little arrow and can fly their drone using other information available to them.

1 - close estimate based upon decades of experience.
2 - MOST competent machine owners want them to WORK CORRECTLY!!!
3 - nit picking is the pervue of small minds.
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-22 20:21
Still something wrong then and its not just me, so stop telling me its all fixed, not like you would know mind, you don't do any updates do you..... and before you start harping on, i had no choice, if i wanted to fly it i had to update else it was grounded!

Another proven point i made a while back when i told you then that DJI DO force you to update! remember? i said i knew of at least 2 occasions in the past when they did this ;)

Not me telling you look at the survey results. Also Most people realise that people generally come to forums like this if they perceive a problem So there will be many satisfied customers who would vote yes but never see the poll.

Some people of course are never satisfied.

Also and old saying………..   A bad workman blames his tools
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-22 20:05

You're a real piece of work, ya know that? You even go after those that dare to favour my responses.
Stop being rude and insulting to other members

It's quite simple to know that its off by a few degrees, anyone with ANY common sense would know that without needing a protractor.

Remember now, you don't do any updates, therefore you have no "real world experience" with this issue, so why do you insist on thinking you know all about it?  
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am glad DJI managed to fix the issues some people seem to have far quicker than they did with the Mavic 3

Well done DJI
2022-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I use the Mini3 pro 100% as a tool for photography, I don’t use it to engage in voyeurism or just willy nilly flying around. Straight off the bat it was excellent working well but needed some fine tuning. This came pretty quickly many fixes and almost without delay. To shoot video or take photos with any drone you do not need it to fly huge distances, it’s probably better to be as close to your subject than many KM away and not being sure of your surrounds. So distance was not a problem and signal seemed then pretty good and this has also improved.
There were some problems with different file types and editing on some formats but again these teeting problems were sorted out very quickly.
We have also seen many new features since the drones inception and many bugs sorted. Now as it stands I don’t have any problems flying it straight 90% of the time I use line of sight to fly the drone, but as long as I have been flying drones with the DJI fly app the small triangle has fluttered somewhat but has no effect on how I fly my drone. The compass arrow was messed up for a couple of days but again sorted very quickly.

I believe now the drone is working exceptionally well and having flown drones from DJI for 8 years at this stage it is as good as I would expect it to be. Yes it can and most likely will get better, but if I had to wait for everything to be 100% perfect on any drone I would be pretty much miserable everyday I woke up ;+)
2022-7-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 01:37
I use the Mini3 pro 100% as a tool for photography, I don’t use it to engage in voyeurism or just willy nilly flying around. Straight off the bat it was excellent working well but needed some fine tuning. This came pretty quickly many fixes and almost without delay. To shoot video or take photos with any drone you do not need it to fly huge distances, it’s probably better to be as close to your subject than many KM away and not being sure of your surrounds. So distance was not a problem and signal seemed then pretty good and this has also improved.
There were some problems with different file types and editing on some formats but again these teeting problems were sorted out very quickly.
We have also seen many new features since the drones inception and many bugs sorted. Now as it stands I don’t have any problems flying it straight 90% of the time I use line of sight to fly the drone, but as long as I have been flying drones with the DJI fly app the small triangle has fluttered somewhat but has no effect on how I fly my drone. The compass arrow was messed up for a couple of days but again sorted very quickly.

I am glad it's working OK for you and others, sadly I cannot say the same as I have shown, my radar is deffo not right, but then I didn't have that major radar issue where the RC showed as pointing in the opposite direction, so who knows what is going on....
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 01:37

Very well said. I think also some people will winge on about stuff being slightly out but in all honesty they don't need it at all or probably never use it.

For me the Mini 3 is an incredible piece of kit as was straight out of the box.

The only thing I would want fixed is making it less prone to seagull attack  

2022-7-23
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Still DJI has work to do ...  for example, as photographer, I am not happy yet with the quality of the image (distortion, vignette, EV difference between 48 Mpx and 12 Mpx), and the lack of lens profile and auto corrections for processing afterwards. This is a Pro Drone (means expensive drone) and I spect to have a pro tool.

About the range I can not tested actually becuse where acutallly I am, all maritime areas are protected (coastal birds) and  it's not easy to find a place where I can fly. Due to fires, also helicopters are flying, even beyond the 120 mt ! So need to wait to test it propperly. I shal try to find out a place where I can fly 2 km without problems. Hard job. Time in between, I am continue playing with some master shots, hyperlapses and those things.
2022-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

juan55 Posted at 7-23 02:50
Still DJI has work to do ...  for example, as photographer, I am not happy yet with the quality of the image (distortion, vignette, EV difference between 48 Mpx and 12 Mpx), and the lack of lens profile and auto corrections for processing afterwards. This is a Pro Drone (means expensive drone) and I spect to have a pro tool.

About the range I can not tested actually becuse where acutallly I am, all maritime areas are protected (coastal birds) and  it's not easy to find a place where I can fly. Due to fires, also helicopters are flying, even beyond the 120 mt ! So need to wait to test it propperly. I shal try to find out a place where I can fly 2 km without problems. Hard job. Time in between, I am continue playing with some master shots, hyperlapses and those things.

DJI lens profile is baked into the dng file. Its always been this way. So distortion etc could be down to the software you are using. With PS or LR there are no vignetting or distortion . I think if you are a photographer and you are depending on a 12mp drone camera for professional work then it might not work out for you. Its a good drone for a hobbyist maybe a stretch for an enthusiast but its not a professional drone “pro in name only”
2022-7-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-23 02:09
Very well said. I think also some people will winge on about stuff being slightly out but in all honesty they don't need it at all or probably never use it.

Some people are never satisfied and some sadly have varying cases of OCD which they often want to inflict on others (which I suspect is part of their OCD issues).

I do need it working else i would not be going on about it, it is correct for all of my other drones except for this one, so for nearly a grand, I expect it to spot on.

And what if I did have OCD, does that give you the right to make light of somebodies disability?
2022-7-23
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-22 20:07
Perhaps it is outside factors including possibly pilot error

Yeah sure, pilot error.
2022-7-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-22 19:28

All DJI drones need to have a localised compass calibration before first flight.

The compass points to magnetic north, The map is True north.

To be able to point to magnetic north correctly the drone has to have a full GPS coordinate of its current flight location.

If you travel more than 100klm east or west of this location you also need to recalibrate the compass.

The calibration aligns the compass direction to north dependant on your current attitude and longitude. It's called correcting the magnetic declination.
Magnetic Declination

2022-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bjr981s Posted at 7-23 04:12
All DJI drones need to have a localised compass calibration before first flight.

From what I know all dji drones now are equipped with a look up table , this is basically a spreadsheet of all the known changes In declination on the globe this is already programmed into the drone. So there is practically no reason ever to calibrate compass in your drone for declination or when you move long distance. I have travelled throughout Europe Africa and have never needed to calibrate compass. I did own a Mavic Air that was basically a nuisance in requiring a calibration if I just turned around.
2022-7-23
Use props
juan55
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577096 ft
  • >>>
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 03:14
DJI lens profile is baked into the dng file. Its always been this way. So distortion etc could be down to the software you are using. With PS or LR there are no vignetting or distortion . I think if you are a photographer and you are depending on a 12mp drone camera for professional work then it might not work out for you. Its a good drone for a hobbyist maybe a stretch for an enthusiast but its not a professional drone “pro in name only”

In previous models yes, but not in this one, the table info is empty .... read previous threads about this, please.
2022-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

juan55 Posted at 7-23 05:28
In previous models yes, but not in this one, the table info is empty .... read previous threads about this, please.

Thats not true, at least when using PS or LR. I have software that needs editing and I also use Lightroom and the dng files work perfectly on Lightroom but not on Luminar but using luminar to fix vignetting or distortion is a simple one push button for optics correction.

In lightroom you just need to turn on auto in optics.

I have posted in other threads previous to recent updates.
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-23 03:36
I do need it working else i would not be going on about it, it is correct for all of my other drones except for this one, so for nearly a grand, I expect it to spot on.

And what if I did have OCD, does that give you the right to make light of somebodies disability?

The reason you are going on about it has nothing to do with need......... It is cos you just go on and on about things, many of which are totally trivial
2022-7-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Luxembourg

bjr981s Posted at 7-23 04:12

From what i have learnt from Labroides, i might add, is that it is very rare that a DJI compass will need calibrating. The idea of calibrating is to set the field around the drone, i.e. if you add something magnetic to the drone, say a speaker, for example, then the drone will need its compass calibrated.

Probably the same goes for when adding a new compass too.

I have never had to calibrate the Mini 2 compass, its the same as when it left the factory and that drone works 100% as it should.

2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-23 07:08
From what i have learnt from Labroides, i might add, is that it is very rare that a DJI compass will need calibrating. The idea of calibrating is to set the field around the drone, i.e. if you add something magnetic to the drone, say a speaker, for example, then the drone will need its compass calibrated.

Probably the same goes for when adding a new compass too.

Might I suggest if you are now disappointed with the Mini 3 (which I think you were pleased with some time ago) ???!!!!!) you perhaps sell it and go back to the Mini 2 or that small very convenient Phantom 4 you bought
2022-7-23
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 05:09
From what I know all dji drones now are equipped with a look up table , this is basically a spreadsheet of all the known changes In declination on the globe this is already programmed into the drone. So there is practically no reason ever to calibrate compass in your drone for declination or when you move long distance. I have travelled throughout Europe Africa and have never needed to calibrate compass. I did own a Mavic Air that was basically a nuisance in requiring a calibration if I just turned around.

The declination has to be set at the time a calibration is done It cant correct dynamically.

There is no Table. No such thing. This was discussed in MavicPilots and they are wrong. The table would exceed the memory size of the drone.

The compass calibration to true north will be off by the number of degrees your local location has a declination error.

Use this calculator to determine the degree your radar screen will be off target. It may only be small but the error is enough for you to get a missed return to home if its too far out. e.g. relocation your takeoff point to the opposite hemisphere.

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml

The drone will have been calibrated originally in Schengen China. It is 2° 37' E  ± 0° 23'  changing by  0° 10' E per year

At my location it is 12° 45' E  ± 0° 21'  changing by  0° 2' E per year

So about 10 Degrees out without taking declination into effect. That would mean my heading on my radar screen would be 10 degrees off compared to a true north aligned map.

The people that say there is a spreadsheet or a table are ignorant of how Software or FW is written.

There is no need for a massive table when the correct information is provided by a simple calculation at the time the compass is being calibrated in 3 dimensions with a known home point location..

This is just an example off their ignorance and the propagation of misinformation. There is much about unfortunately.

Anyhow it does not bother me if I am believed or not. Just explaining how a simple compass calibration can fix the small Radar Compass Direction errors reported by many users.

DJI used to recommend doing a compass calibration every 3 months even if the drone and Application did not ask for it.

I would be less prone to doing an IMU calibration unless you crashed your drone. IMU calibration can be fraught with danger.

Cheers

I challenge anyone reading this to determine the size of the imaginary table.

Here are the basics You would need to divide the entire earths surface up into 100Klm square klm, squares

Then have this number mutiplied by the magnetic pole drift that is show by the calculation per year.

In my case thats about 2.5 degrees over 5 years of ownership.

2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 7-23 09:06
The declination has to be set at the time a calibration is done It cant correct dynamically.

There is no Table. No such thing. This was discussed in MavicPilots and they are wrong. The table would exceed the memory size of the drone.

All very complicated and seems all rather pointless to me. Just fly your drone and enjoy it
2022-7-23
Use props
AuroraFource
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111047 ft
United States

No. The max distance is absolute trash.
2022-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you are incorrect but I will get back to this, some of what you’re saying is completely wrong and I can 100% safely say this from experience as I said I have flown in Ireland and traveled to capetown a distance of 14000km and I didn’t get any warning or had no need to calibrate a perfect compass. I travel to Sweden almost on a monthly basis and have never calibrated compass. Lastly I got the information from one of djis beta testers that the look up table was and is part of every dji drone since orignal Mavic Air.
2022-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

This was written by a very prominent member here and what he doesn’t know about drones you could write on the back of a postage stamp. It makes perfect sense but more than that in reality it works.

Misinger
The only purpose of compass calibration is to measure the components of the aircraft's magnetic field so that they can be subtracted from the total measured magnetic field. Rotating the three-axis magnetometers allows the aircraft's flight controller to separate the surrounding magnetic field from the magnetic field of the aircraft itself. It's able to separate them since the aircraft's magnetic field remains constant (in the frame of reference of the magnetometers) while the surrounding magnetic field rotates.

No amount of measuring will allow the aircraft's flight controller to determine the deviation or declination at a location (since it has no idea where true north is located). Declination is determined from a global declination model within the firmware. There is no way to compensate for deviation since it's unmeasurable. That explains why taking off in areas of significant magnetic deviation will lead to unstable flight.
2022-7-23
Use props
NewToy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Seriously ?

I guess there can never be too many goofy polls
2022-7-23
Use props
NewToy
Second Officer
United States

NewToy Posted at 7-23 16:36
I guess there can never be too many goofy polls

I see another clown has popped up on here,that seems to be a twin to another one here.
So Sad.
2022-7-23
Use props
NewToy
Second Officer
United States

Seriously ?

Lol,I guess so.
2022-7-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules