12Next >
9601 64 2022-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_NfbAAfDsNUWe
lvl.1
Germany

Greeting,

I have a question about the DJi Mini 3 Pro.
I bought the drone from a private person at a flea market, the seller told me that the drone is 3 months old and that it is still under warranty.

Since I have never used a drone, I did not try to fly it, but I just turned it on and it seemed that both the drone and the controller were working.

Because dron was in original packaging I assumed everything is OK with it. I bought the drone and tried to start it but then I got the error "Device activation prohibited. Contact DJI Support for assistance (1112)". I didn't know what that meant, so I contacted DJi. They then told me that the drone was stolen and that DJI had locked it. I am wondering if there is any possibility to unlock the drone again because it is new and supposedly under warranty, since I cannot get my money back or sue someone because I do not know who the seller is and I have no one to blame. Can it be solved in any way or will the drone go in the trash? :/

Thank you in advance
2022-7-23
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Always buy from a reputable source, ALWAYS! DJI is not going to unlock your unit.
2022-7-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Oh what a silly thing though!  
Since activation always has to be done via a DJI account, there will probably be no way to put this drone into operation...
Terrible when something like this happens to you...
2022-7-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if it is stolen then there has to be a police report since i think think just anyone can call in a drone and report it stolen and it gets locked forever.  the police report should identify the owner and then you can try to work it out with them.  there are laws (in my country) that cover this when you buy personal property in good faith.  if you wish to consult an attorney but i don't think you need one to get it done.

because you want to understand the process.  if a dji store was broken into and a hundred drones were stolen and dji turned them off, you're probably sol unless you try to work it out with dji.  if someone sold their new drone and then turned around and sold it leaving someone else to hold the bag, you might have a claim.  what are you supposed to do?  sell it to the next guy and screw over someone else?  that's not how it works.  again, it depends on the facts how this all went down, i'm really curious the circumstances how this drone came to be locked out of activation.

2022-7-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry mate, you've been had.  An expensive lesson
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-23 06:43
if it is stolen then there has to be a police report since i think think just anyone can call in a drone and report it stolen and it gets locked forever.  the police report should identify the owner and then you can try to work it out with them.  there are laws (in my country) that cover this when you buy personal property in good faith.  if you wish to consult an attorney but i don't think you need one to get it done.

because you want to understand the process.  if a dji store was broken into and a hundred drones were stolen and dji turned them off, you're probably sol unless you try to work it out with dji.  if someone sold their new drone and then turned around and sold it leaving someone else to hold the bag, you might have a claim.  what are you supposed to do?  sell it to the next guy and screw over someone else?  that's not how it works.  again, it depends on the facts how this all went down, i'm really curious the circumstances how this drone came to be locked out of activation.

Consult a Lawyer.... What planet are you on. The first couple of hours of their time would cost more than the person laid out
2022-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's still of value if sold for parts
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-23 07:01
It's still of value if sold for parts

Good point.... I wonder if the Battery is locked in some way
2022-7-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-23 07:56

I wonder if it would fly with a different APP - like Litchi for example
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-23 08:53

Another interesting point. So keep it a while and wait.

I bet there is some clever geek type that could unlock it.....

Yoda for example could deffo do it or even 11
2022-7-23
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Blériot53 Posted at 7-23 08:53

It wouldn't because all third party apps use DJI SDK to communicate with the drone. DJI SDK communicates with DJI servers just the same and checks activation.
2022-7-23
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apple does this when devices are stolen from stores. They know the serials of the device and just lock them out. Sorry this happened to you but I guess it's lessen learned. Maybe you can go back to flea market and find the seller?
2022-7-23
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-23 07:56

At least drone and gimbal would be as they always have those serials in tandem.
2022-7-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-23 06:59
Consult a Lawyer.... What planet are you on. The first couple of hours of their time would cost more than the person laid out

all i meant was seek legal advice or ask the legal questions, i wouldn't hire a lawyer...like i said in the rest of my statement, you can do it yourself.  pretty easy these days especially in where you have small claims or conciliation court, etc.

it's just a suggestion or like a lot of people, you can just be another sucker and throw it in the trash and "win some lose some", "fool me once....", etc.
eta:  re-read he said it wasn't exactly nib
2022-7-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

btw, we've semi-covered this topic before in the past and i still feel the same way:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=265194
2022-7-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 7-23 10:20
It wouldn't because all third party apps use DJI SDK to communicate with the drone. DJI SDK communicates with DJI servers just the same and checks activation.

Looks like the OP is well and truly stuffed then
2022-7-23
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would try and track down the person who sold it, probably always selling stuff at flea markets near you, etc. Explain its stolen and request a refund.

Failing that, you have been taught a very valuable life lesson that you paid for. You won't be caught twice.

You have balls to come on this forum, as legitimate drone owners, it could have been one of our members drone.
2022-7-23
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You now know its a stolen drone, you've broadcast it to an online community, I supose you are now guilty of "Handling stolen property". Best report to a police station your story, if your caught knowningly with stolen property you could be facing a difficult time.

Good to know if our drones are stolen, DJI can lock them.
2022-7-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

The only people that CAN unlock this is Dji (unless you can find the owner) and they will not as it was reported stolen. Buying stolen goods, knowingly or unknowingly can be considered a crime in certain countries. The fact that you now have knowledge that this item was stolen, it is your duty to take it to the nearest cop shop and hand it in.
2022-7-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 7-23 13:07
You now know its a stolen drone, you've broadcast it to an online community, I supose you are now guilty of "Handling stolen property". Best report to a police station your story, if your caught knowningly with stolen property you could be facing a difficult time.

Good to know if our drones are stolen, DJI can lock them.

But the thing is, as far as I know, DJI DO NOT lock the drones if WE have OUR drone stolen.
This appears to be an un activated drone. At a guess stolen from a shop or during transportation etc, and that has been recorded and activation is prevented. The drone has not been locked as such.  

It remains to be seen if flyaway cover would prevent a stolen drone being flown but if so it seems likely it is more coincidence rather than intention.
2022-7-23
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 7-23 13:42
The only people that CAN unlock this is Dji (unless you can find the owner) and they will not as it was reported stolen. Buying stolen goods, knowingly or unknowingly can be considered a crime in certain countries. The fact that you now have knowledge that this item was stolen, it is your duty to take it to the nearest cop shop and hand it in.

Very good advice.
2022-7-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-23 13:44
But the thing is, as far as I know, DJI DO NOT lock the drones if WE have OUR drone stolen.
This appears to be an un activated drone. At a guess stolen from a shop or during transportation etc, and that has been recorded and activation is prevented. The drone has not been locked as such.  

ive been saying as such but nobody listens which is fine because laws are different here in america then the rest of the world so i could be way off base.  so i get it, people are going down a certain path.  which is why i have been saying, consult legal advice.  if activation is blocked, it could be for many reasons.  you can't always rely on what you were told over the phone or by email.  op, i suggest you start with the mods on this forum to seek legitimate help in resolving your problem before you think about trashing your drone.
2022-7-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this DJI Mini 3 Pro was reported stolen, the said DJI Product was locked by our company and cannot be activated. To protect your rights and interests, please contact the seller as soon as possible to apply for a refund. Just a friendly reminder to kindly please purchase your DJI Products from our official DJI online store ( https://store.dji.com/?site=brandsite&from=nav ) or visit our where to buy platform ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ... ite&from=footer ) for you to be able to purchase genuine DJI Products and Merchandise. Thank you.
2022-7-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buying like that means you did not pay full price I am guessing.  You got had for sure.
2022-7-23
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

You bought a product and don't know who the seller is? LOL

Maybe you'd like to publish the serial number here so the legitimate owner can get their drone back?

As stated above, handling stolen goods is a crime in most jurisdictions, even if you bought it "innocently" but later discover its origin. Report this to the Police, and give them the drone. They will be able to return it to the legitimate owner.
2022-7-23
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Re ver also that Just because DJI say it was stolen does not mean that it was. If I repeat a drone as stolen to DJI do they just lock it based on my say so or do they do some research them self
2022-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can always sell it for parts on eBay.
2022-7-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sell it on ebay?
That could get him/her in deep &*(^.
It's a traceable means of sale and means they would have sold knowingly stolen goods....... not a good idea.
2022-7-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-23 06:59
Consult a Lawyer.... What planet are you on. The first couple of hours of their time would cost more than the person laid out

Might be true in the UK but not exactly true in most of the US.  An initial consultation is normally free.  Continued sessions and advice is billed.  

Unless the OP knows the name of the seller a lawyer would not be able to assist much anyway.  

Moral to this story is to test fly it before buying and then have the seller remove it from his DJI account.  
2022-7-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear this.  Just another one of life's expensive lessons.  
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-23 21:40
Re ver also that Just because DJI say it was stolen does not mean that it was. If I repeat a drone as stolen to DJI do they just lock it based on my say so or do they do some research them self

in the u.s., stolen is a legal term that requires a court affidavit or a police report.

a drone is not stolen just because someone says so.  dji should be able to at least provide the name of the party who reported it.

i noticed the op appears to have not revisited this thread.
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

CineDude Posted at 7-23 20:18
You bought a product and don't know who the seller is? LOL

Maybe you'd like to publish the serial number here so the legitimate owner can get their drone back?

it doesn't work that way; don't be ridiculous.  maybe in the uk everything is a crime but in america we are free and intent means everything.

it's 2022 not 1992, you're never going to know your seller.  the buyer shall secure his purchase thru his payment options, not by being well known to his seller.

going to the police station and filling out a stolen report doesn't establish ownership.
2022-7-24
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Contact the DJI support to give back the aircraft to the previous owner. Maybe than they will unlock the machine and the owner will thank you somehow. About the seller - just crucify
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-24 10:18
Contact the DJI support to give back the aircraft to the previous owner. Maybe than they will unlock the machine and the owner will thank you somehow. About the seller - just crucify

and what if dji says they blocked activation on the drone because a hundred drones were stolen from their local dji store last month so they called the police and reported the break-in and took action on the serial numbers.  what will do you, give the drone back to dji?

dji is not in the drone recovery business; no manufacturer is.  they don't collect serial numbers and maintain a list of stolen goods and their owners in order to facilitate the recovery of "stolen" property.  the police won't even do that for you. and because of this, the owner is probably going to sell the drone to the next guy and another innocent (honest) person gets the shaft.
2022-7-24
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

The Saint Posted at 7-24 11:45
and what if dji says they blocked activation on the drone because a hundred drones were stolen from their local dji store last month so they called the police and reported the break-in and took action on the serial numbers.  what will do you, give the drone back to dji?

dji is not in the drone recovery business; no manufacturer is.  they don't collect serial numbers and maintain a list of stolen goods and their owners in order to facilitate the recovery of "stolen" property.  the police won't even do that for you. and because of this, the owner is probably going to sell the drone to the next guy and another innocent (honest) person gets the shaft.

You got account binded to aircraft S/N to connect an aircraft.
You put your telephone and emal during registration.

If i had my drone stolen, i would be glad to have an oportunity to get it back.
In this situation both the 1st and current owner have no aircraft which can fly, so besides punishing the thief i recommend return the aircraft to the 1st owner, unblock it and it can be used by someone at least
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-24 12:18
You got account binded to aircraft S/N to connect an aircraft.
You put your telephone and emal during registration.

the email and telephone number used during registration doesn't mean you're the owner.  stop pretending these drones have a title/registration to them.  in the eyes of the law, a drone is no different than a golf club or a fish tank or a boat anchor or a football.

if i had my drone stolen, i would love to get it back too.  but i would rather we operate as a nation of laws rather than morals and feelings.  if someone got their drone stolen and we promptly recover that drone from the person who stole it, fine, return it.  but i don't necessarily agree that we confiscate it from someone who bought it in good faith.  we don't know all the facts.  what if the insurance company has already paid the owner for his loss, does the insurance company own it?
2022-7-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-24 14:31
the email and telephone number used during registration doesn't mean you're the owner.  stop pretending these drones have a title/registration to them.  in the eyes of the law, a drone is no different than a golf club or a fish tank or a boat anchor or a football.

if i had my drone stolen, i would love to get it back too.  but i would rather we operate as a nation of laws rather than morals and feelings.  if someone got their drone stolen and we promptly recover that drone from the person who stole it, fine, return it.  but i don't necessarily agree that we confiscate it from someone who bought it in good faith.  we don't know all the facts.  what if the insurance company has already paid the owner for his loss, does the insurance company own it?

"A nation of laws" Yes we are. Whether bought in "good faith" or not, stolen goods will be confiscated and the buyer is out the money. It happens all the time. The police do due diligence to trace the S/N. If it cannot be returned to the rightful owner, many times it will be sold at auction. Check your local papers for police auctions.
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-24 14:39
"A nation of laws" Yes we are. Whether bought in "good faith" or not, stolen goods will be confiscated and the buyer is out the money. It happens all the time. The police do due diligence to trace the S/N. If it cannot be returned to the rightful owner, many times it will be sold at auction. Check your local papers for police auctions.

that's what i said:

"if someone got their drone stolen and we promptly recover that drone from the person who stole it, fine, return it."

also as i said earlier, i want to see all the details of this case, would also like to see the police report.  a ghost cannot file a stolen goods police report, i want to know the owner since he might be the person i'll need to sue.  also would need to know from whom you bought it from.

i'll just leave it there since we are getting into the weeds.  call a lawyer:  https://www.seattlelitigation.co ... ul-who-you-buy-from

personal opinion:  to be honest, i think it is dji that put the stop on this which makes it pretty valid; it's their drones they can do whatever they want.  if not....if it's a 3rd party, i would fight it.  sure, some mistakes were made, but there is a legal avenue.  i honestly don't believe there is a police report made by a 3rd party saying the drone was stolen.
2022-7-24
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

If somone buys a drone in the US, have an invoice, he is NOT an owner of this stuuf in US? wtf, so who is the owner than?! Santa Claus?
During registration you make and account which can you link with specific product by binding it, its also necessary to use the product you OWN. If the item changes the owner one need to unbind it from acc to another can bind and use it. It is saved all in DJI's database, start pretending its not.

Maybe thats some translation issue but where is said about the confiscation? I just purpose to try give the aircraft back to the 1 st owner if the current one actually have just bunch of plastic not a drone and both can not use it.. Thats a good will and just practical resolution.
Than if i would be a 1st owner, sorrowing that i've lost a drone and suddenly somone contact me to just give it back for me and tells me he paid some kind of full price i would purpose to spread the costs half to half.
This way at start we had 2 persons without a drone and one with 1K $ loss
at the end we had 1 person with a working drone which spent half a price on it and second person which loss is only half. Together its would be easier for them to crucify a thief. Thats how the rules of law arise
2022-7-24
Use props
ElleKN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755669 ft
Germany

There is a very easy answer: the German law says that you are not the owner of the drone (as you bought something that was stolen)....  If your story was correctly told, that was a quiet expensive lesson that you have learned
2022-7-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules