Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-24 19:49
If somone buys a drone in the US, have an invoice, he is NOT an owner of this stuuf in US? wtf, so who is the owner than?! Santa Claus?
During registration you make and account which can you link with specific product by binding it, its also necessary to use  the product you OWN. If the item changes the owner one need to unbind it from acc to another can bind and use it. It is saved all in DJI's database, start pretending its not.

you got it half right, angel.  yes it is true and i agree with you, if you buy a drone in the usa and you buy it from a legitimate seller like a retail store or a merchant who sells drones or a shop where the owner sells electronics and he gives you an "invoice" then yes, you are the "owner" and the drone is yours....for the most part.  you bought the drone in good faith (you have no reason to believe it is stolen) and you bought it from someone whom you had every legitimate reason to believe owned the drone....pretty good chance if there are problems with the drone later on you will stand a good chance.  meaning if you charged it on a credit card and it's fake, you can get a chargeback (within the limits).  meaning if the police pull up a database and show the drone as stolen and you show them a receipt from best buy where you bought the drone, they're not going to confiscate the drone from you and send it off to bubba who filed a silly unverified police report in bozeman, montana.

buying a drone that turns out to be stolen later, it's not a crime.  that's just plain ridiculous.  "handling" a stolen drone that you bought in good faith, it's not a crime; that's doubly ridiculous.  buying a drone in a back alley from a kid for half price using cash...yeah that could get you in trouble.  but it's 2022, buying stuff from other people face to face from fb or cl or peer-to-peer like ebay, it's not a crime.  you ultimately may not be entitled to keep it but it's not a crime.  not sure exactly what an "invoice" looks from like from fb, cl, or ebay but it's a good example of how it may be as worthless as the paper it's printed on.

angel, as far as i know, you can make an account and bind any product whether you own it or not, correct?  what makes you think you can only do this with products you own?  i think you are using the word "own" pretty loosely, not sure what you think owning a drone means.  is it the person who pays for the drone?  it is the person who has possession of the drone?  is it the person who you give the drone to as a gift?  is it the last person with their name on the dji account?  why not let a court of law decide who owns the drone?  you can make an account and bind any product that you have in your hands whether you are the rightful owner or not.  i guess, as long as dji hasn't blocked it.

ymmv, check your local law; the laws in the "old world" vary greatly.  i can tell you guys have a lot of passionate feeling when it comes to the law because you keep thinking about the "thief" and "punishment" when most of the disputes don't come down to that.  i think we all agree if you steal something and you get caught, it's clear what happens...nobody is arguing that.  join me in the real world, in the 21st century where it's way more complicated.
2022-7-24
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Okay, im not sure but i guess you cant bind a product to multiple accounts, so the owner would be the binded user, in this case rightfull buyer which from the drone was stolen. Now i see there is a potential gap unless S/N are presented outside the box, but its downpart which makes sense. I think you try to complicate this i just give a simple not sure if workable solution.
2022-7-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-24 22:02
Okay, im not sure but i guess you cant bind a product to multiple accounts, so the owner would be the binded user, in this case rightfull buyer which from the drone was stolen. Now i see there is a potential gap unless S/N are presented outside the box, but its downpart which makes sense. I think you try to complicate this i just give a simple not sure if workable solution.

ownership of the drone is not legally determine by the "binded user."  im going to exit this thread, i see youre starting to make up stuff that isn't in the law (not even in your country) so it probably best to leave it here before we get too far away from the issue at large.  in the eyes of the law, a drone is just like a football or a golf club or a boat anchor.  there are a bunch of factors that weigh in on to help establish ownership but there is no title on this personal property and therefore none of it is definitive on it's own.

please keep an open mind, i've continued down this discussion path because i personally don't want drones to end up like automobiles and it sorta bugs when we drones get carved out.  i like your solution, i think if you are a judge and you hear all the facts and this is what you conclude, fine by me.  but a lot of people are not going to be happy that you think the person who got his drone stolen should pay half of it just to get it back.  have a good day, comrade.
2022-7-24
Use props
CineDude
lvl.2

United Kingdom

In the UK it would be "beyond reasonable doubt" that the owner is the registered user, or the registered user knows who the owner is, so that would be sufficient for the "owner" to be found and the drone returned.

Had the drone then been sold but not de-registered, most people are honest enough to say they sold it, but given what we're talking about here, it's likely the registered account would be changed as well, as part of the sale, so in most cases I'd say it was pretty likely they'd find the correct actual owner.

We haven't sunk so deep down the globalist rabbit hole yet that "you'll own nothing and be happy". ;)  It is a physical, tangible good, so it is owned. To take it would be theft, which requires a legal "owner".

https://www.sentencingcouncil.or ... bbery-and-burglary/
2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineDude Posted at 7-25 05:30
In the UK it would be "beyond reasonable doubt" that the owner is the registered user, or the registered user knows who the owner is, so that would be sufficient for the "owner" to be found and the drone returned.

Had the drone then been sold but not de-registered, most people are honest enough to say they sold it, but given what we're talking about here, it's likely the registered account would be changed as well, as part of the sale, so in most cases I'd say it was pretty likely they'd find the correct actual owner.

"In legislation “a person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.”

really?  is that what you think happened at that private transaction at the market in the original post?  sorry i didn't realize we were accusing the o.p. of being a thief.  if that's the case, he should give it back.  lol
2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ElleKN Posted at 7-24 20:59
There is a very easy answer: the German law says that you are not the owner of the drone (as you bought something that was stolen)....  If your story was correctly told, that was a quiet expensive lesson that you have learned

has that ever happened to you, my friend?  have you ever bought something you didn't own?
2022-7-25
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We are all assuming the story we have been told is true. Roaming around a flea market with somewhere around £600 - £800 in cash to burn, impulse buying a drone.
2022-7-25
Use props
ElleKN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755669 ft
Germany

The Saint Posted at 7-25 06:04
has that ever happened to you, my friend?  have you ever bought something you didn't own?

not yet - but of course, I could have happened to me sometime as well. - But what is your point? If this will happen I will cry silently but still knowing that I just burned money.
2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ElleKN Posted at 7-25 06:39
not yet - but of course, I could have happened to me sometime as well. - But what is your point? If this will happen I will cry silently but still knowing that I just burned money.

never mind. lol
2022-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 7-25 06:16
We are all assuming the story we have been told is true. Roaming around a flea market with somewhere around £600 - £800 in cash to burn, impulse buying a drone.

are these types of environments considered like the black market or the grey market in your country?  it's pretty typical to buy stuff at a flea market around here but i wouldn't buy a drone from there.

all i am saying is you need to be careful because you could be supporting the criminal.  if i'm a smart criminal, i report my goods as stolen and i sell it to someone for cash, and then i wait around to get it back, returned to me by the police.  think about it.
2022-7-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-24 04:03
Might be true in the UK but not exactly true in most of the US.  An initial consultation is normally free.  Continued sessions and advice is billed.  

Unless the OP knows the name of the seller a lawyer would not be able to assist much anyway.  

How lawyers work in the US is not a model that  any other Country would sensibly follow
2022-7-25
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 7-24 21:32
you got it half right, angel.  yes it is true and i agree with you, if you buy a drone in the usa and you buy it from a legitimate seller like a retail store or a merchant who sells drones or a shop where the owner sells electronics and he gives you an "invoice" then yes, you are the "owner" and the drone is yours....for the most part.  you bought the drone in good faith (you have no reason to believe it is stolen) and you bought it from someone whom you had every legitimate reason to believe owned the drone....pretty good chance if there are problems with the drone later on you will stand a good chance.  meaning if you charged it on a credit card and it's fake, you can get a chargeback (within the limits).  meaning if the police pull up a database and show the drone as stolen and you show them a receipt from best buy where you bought the drone, they're not going to confiscate the drone from you and send it off to bubba who filed a silly unverified police report in bozeman, montana.

buying a drone that turns out to be stolen later, it's not a crime.  that's just plain ridiculous.  "handling" a stolen drone that you bought in good faith, it's not a crime; that's doubly ridiculous.  buying a drone in a back alley from a kid for half price using cash...yeah that could get you in trouble.  but it's 2022, buying stuff from other people face to face from fb or cl or peer-to-peer like ebay, it's not a crime.  you ultimately may not be entitled to keep it but it's not a crime.  not sure exactly what an "invoice" looks from like from fb, cl, or ebay but it's a good example of how it may be as worthless as the paper it's printed on.

Way too many words again
2022-7-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-25 08:36
How lawyers work in the US is not a model that  any other Country would sensibly follow

That's your personal opinion and a bit biased it seems.
2022-7-26
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-24 21:32
as far as i know, you can make an account and bind any product whether you own it or not, correct?  what makes you think you can only do this with products you own?

You can only bind products to your account when you communicate with them - so you must physically have them in your possession.  It's not possible to create dummy accounts and start binding random drones.

Personally, I think the lock-out process is great and I'm all for it - I have to think it prevents a lot of theft.  Since there is no good way to "prove" ownership or bill of sale from private parties, DJI isn't likely to take anyone's word for anything.  It's unfortunate the OP got scammed, but  it's always caveat emptor with used electronic gear.  

Edit - another good reason to ensure your email accounts are secure...  All one need do is hack a drone owners email, reset their DJI password and then unbind the drone from their account.  THEN you could sell it at the flea market.

2022-8-2
Use props
Drone Junkie RC
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It was probably bought with a stolen credit card or I.D. theft.  Expensive lesson to learn.
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_B6nOa3NhAVW2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57034 ft
United Kingdom

how did DJI lock the drone as i have just had both my mini 2 and mini 3 pro stolen and need to lock them???
2023-6-15
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

djiuser_B6nOa3NhAVW2 Posted at 6-15 01:02
how did DJI lock the drone as i have just had both my mini 2 and mini 3 pro stolen and need to lock them???

Contact DJI support.
2023-6-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dji can certainly maintain a stolen drone list comprised of s/n that are legitimately reported as stolen; however, i do not believe they have the ability to remote lock a drone to prevent it from flying.  they can prevent an activation but i sincerely hope the capability to remotely lock a drone is not within their capabilities.
2023-6-15
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

You bought it in person and didn't bother to test fly it? Lmao. So who's fault is it? Since it's not from dji, there's nothing they can do. Your money lost and paper weight drone. No way you can active a stolen drone.
2023-6-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-15 10:23
You bought it in person and didn't bother to test fly it? Lmao. So who's fault is it? Since it's not from dji, there's nothing they can do. Your money lost and paper weight drone. No way you can active a stolen drone.

Do you realise the bulk of this thread is quite old?
2023-6-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You will have a PM in a few minutes.
2023-6-15
Use props
djiuser_M1Dx9lIvqsZ6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 185285 ft
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 2022-7-23 06:59
Consult a Lawyer.... What planet are you on. The first couple of hours of their time would cost more than the person laid out

What are you on about you don't pay for police time, you don't know if the owner just reported it to DJI and not the police. He said I bought from a car boot sale in England to sell at a car boot sale they take your name/address and your car/van registration. My 1st port of call would be the car boot organisers for information and go from there. Has it been reported to police. I really don't get your reply like your talking as thought the police are going to say that's 500 dollars just for starters. We pay for public servants so you do not have to pay the police directly in any country unless it's corruption. I'd love to know why you got on your high horse about the police ????
2023-7-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Smart move. Buying in person and don't even test it lmao. There's nothing we can help you or dji can do. Take the lost and learn a lesson.  Next time you buy a drone in person, always test it. Do you buy a car and pay without testing? Lol
2023-7-5
Use props
martindronester
lvl.3
Canada

Reminds me of this:
2023-7-6
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 2022-7-23 13:04
I would try and track down the person who sold it, probably always selling stuff at flea markets near you, etc. Explain its stolen and request a refund.

Failing that, you have been taught a very valuable life lesson that you paid for. You won't be caught twice.

Yes that's what I'd do.

Find the seller, get a photo of him first discreetly and possibly find out if he's a known seller from the organisers, but be wary doing this as he might be a mate and doing it with their knowledge..... but after you have a photo approach him and demand a refund.

If he refuses tell him you will be ringing the police as he's been selling stolen goods.

No joy still, tell him you have his photo but don't show him.

Be calm, but do it all in a loud voice and attract attention from others, let a crowd gather even better.
2023-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules