My RS 3 Pro shakes, gets confused and flips camera upside down?
9380 20 2022-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_cjpOJEQo7Xhf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34167 ft
United States

Hello everyone, I need some help/advice to sort this out as I find this mildly infuriating...

My brand new RS 3 Pro violently shakes, gets tangled up in some weird position and flips the camera upside down.

I  received my RS 3 Pro just about 3 days ago and I’ve been having this problem since then. Just to confirm this wasn't an isolated incident, it has happened about 6-7 times already. The gear on the gimbal is Sony A7 IV paired with Sony 24-70 GM II.

I'm afraid to use it on a shooting scene of the fear of the gimbal sending my gear flying as I do the maneuvers

• The gimbal is well balanced, I balanced it multiple times to ensure the perfect balance.
  • AutoTune and other calibrations are also performed, some even multiple times.
  • No any warning signs on the screen suggesting anything is off with the balance, manual testing also maintains a perfect center of gravity.

This problem mainly occurs when I’m engaging the right roll axis. Say… I want to go from dead center holding the gimbal upright to sideway(right), it abruptly starts shaking, loses its orientation, giving auditory warning, and after a little dance the camera ends up in an upside-down orientation, at times it goes to sleep too.

I’ve not managed to capture a video of it while happening but I’ve taken a few pictures showing what it looks like when it has already happened.

But I'm working on trying to capture video footage so you guys have a better idea of how and when this happens.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3079_sized.jpg
IMG_3083_sized.jpg
2022-7-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry for the late reply. Could you please provide us with a related video for our further checks? You could upload them to the Google Drive/ Dropbox and send the link to us.
2022-7-26
Use props
XinRain
lvl.4
Belgium

Hello there,

Can you give or show us your settings on the gimbal?

Kind regards,
XinRain
2022-7-29
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

add more weight
2022-7-29
Use props
djiuser_aDnnl8NENVir
lvl.1
Malaysia

Ya, I encountered the same issue as well. If the roll axis moved to about 90 degree to left/right, it started to shake and moved and turned wildly and then camera went upside down. If I managed to stop it from going too low or before it shakes, then no issue. Why is that?
2022-8-7
Use props
Squidy666
lvl.2
Australia

I have the same on my rs2. Smashed a filter it flipped so hard. Glad you're getting responses though, in my thread in the RS2 forum they've completely ignored it.
2022-8-17
Use props
bleakcloud
New

Slovakia

Same thing happening to me. It almost broke my camera display.
2022-10-9
Use props
George_P
lvl.2
Russia

I join you! This applies to all RS series products. Who will sacrifice their camera to record a video demonstration for them? LOL
2022-11-17
Use props
chrisb123
lvl.2
Australia

Same thing here, if the handle is point out  to the left/right side of the camera it freaks out and flips upside down
2022-11-27
Use props
fans670dba2b
New
Flight distance : 205112 ft
  • >>>
United States

Me too. I literally didn't even had a chance to turn it on, to check out the menu. I turn it on without my camera on it and it start spinning out of control. I thought it might be because it doesnt have a camera on it. Put my camera and balance it but the same thing shapes, I adjusted the axis to the Lowes possible setting (5) on each still the same. I see the previous versions of the ronin had the same issue and DJI support is not doing anything to address this. They don't even have a dedicated support team in the US (you have to be on a Chinese time I guess). US is probably your biggest market and you don't even have a support team to help with this. This is trash, so far not impressed. Other than your drones, it might be you are not good at anything else.
2023-1-6
Use props
fans670dba2b
New
Flight distance : 205112 ft
  • >>>
United States

I try uploading link to youtube, but its not letting me.
Title is "DJI RS3 Pro spinning out of control"
2023-1-6
Use props
usulname
New

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2022-7-26 05:39
Hi, there. We are greatly sorry for the late reply. Could you please provide us with a related video for our further checks? You could upload them to the Google Drive/ Dropbox and send the link to us.

hi,
i experience the same problem.i use a canon r6m2 + 24/70 2.8
my rs3 pro, sometimes seems stuck and then moves exactly like the other user describes it.
it happens more on the ptf mode.( that i no longer use because of this issue ) but with the other modes too.

could it be a "bad" copy ?is it possible for me to do some kind of diagnostic ?

2023-3-9
Use props
yozelda69
New
United States

usulname Posted at 3-9 18:36
hi,
i experience the same problem.i use a canon r6m2 + 24/70 2.8
my rs3 pro, sometimes seems stuck and then moves exactly like the other user describes it.

My first time chiming in, but yes to the often flipping out RS3 pro/ RavenEye/Sony iv with various lenses...I've had it for several days, testing practicing, resettting, rebalancing before taking to any events. I'm glad I still have my old and completely reliable Ronin-S, as I'm fairly ready To bail on the rs3-pro and glitchy Raveneye ASAP. Probably get another Ronin-S as I wouldn't expect the RS3-mini to be any more reliable than this...and DJI, save the autoreply regarding sending in videos and diagnostics...great drones though
2023-4-17
Use props
jovan_spasovic
New
Norway

Having the exact same issue on my RS3. Here's a video I posted on reddit in hope of help. I do not have permission to post links, so just add reddit.com
/r/dji/comments/12yurn6/can_someone_please_for_the_love_of_god_help_me/

2023-4-25
Use props
J2MFr
New

France

Same issue with DJI RS3-Mini holding Lumix GH5 Mark II with Leica 12-60. As far as the roll axis is engaged over a certain angle (difficult to say how many °) the gimbal shortly shake and then the camera move upside down in a brutal way. The problem occurs in all modes, including simple FP. By chance the GH5+Leica will not interfere with arms during the brutal flip !

I've checked to limit roll angle to 20° (30 is default)  in the  mode setup parameters via the app. Same problem.

If i artificially shake the RS3 mini using the force mobile function of the app, with roll enabled at 50, all is ok, max angles are strictly respected and the camera never flip.
But as soon as I use the gimbal in stand-alone and the roll axis start to move, the camera flip upside-down again.

I think that a firmware update is urgently necessary !
2023-5-5
Use props
rodolfovaliense
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176604 ft
Brazil

J2MFr Posted at 5-5 02:58
Same issue with DJI RS3-Mini holding Lumix GH5 Mark II with Leica 12-60. As far as the roll axis is engaged over a certain angle (difficult to say how many °) the gimbal shortly shake and then the camera move upside down in a brutal way. The problem occurs in all modes, including simple FP. By chance the GH5+Leica will not interfere with arms during the brutal flip !

I've checked to limit roll angle to 20° (30 is default)  in the  mode setup parameters via the app. Same problem.

i have the same problem and on auto-check appears error code 1009
2023-5-18
Use props
djiuser_x2DEwtntz3LI
New
United Kingdom

Mine just started doing that today. A month after buying (unfortunately it's outside Amazon return window). Very very frustrating and I'm not sure if DJI is going to take this seriously and help. I was thinking to buy one of their drones for my holiday to Croatia, but I'm thinking again now. I don't know if I can trust them if anything goes wrong with it.
2023-5-28
Use props
djiuser_9wyuvZLVuijN
New

United States

I've been able to reproduce the issue on-demand and have recorded it. With the default pan limit of 180 and roll limit of 30, all it takes to produce the issue is panning in briefcase mode. You don't even need to move quickly—a slow pan will do the trick. As soon as the two lower arms of the gimbal come close to aligning with each other, the violent flipping begins.

I don't have permission to post links (because this is the dumbest forum ever), so just add this string to the end of youtube.com:  /shorts/TnB2MjrIcD0

Reducing the pan limit to 175 and the roll limit to 25 (as described in posts above) has somewhat reduced the problem. By panning in briefcase mode, I can still occasionally get the gimbal "close to" flipping out: it shudders, acts like it's about to flip around, but then comes back. I can also trigger the problem while changing from an upright stance *into* briefcase mode, or vice-versa. (That's where I first ran into the problem.)

Like everyone else's in this thread, the gimbal is *perfectly* balanced and calibrated. I've owned it for four days and I'm going to return it. There's absolutely no excuse for this in a $1,000 gimbal and if I had a monitor attached via cable, it very well might have damaged the ports on my camera.

2023-6-26
Use props
djiuser_iL9BoJJtCQgK
lvl.1
Romania

My RS3 MINI shakes, and flips camera upside down. With Canon M50 15mm-45mm.
And one more issue: when the gimbal is vertical, it shows 2° inclination on dji ronin app. Tried it on different flat surfaces.
Can be the cause for shakes and flips? Can be fixed?
2023-8-17
Use props
Waka Gamer
New

Jordan

yozelda69 Posted at 4-17 08:55
My first time chiming in, but yes to the often flipping out RS3 pro/ RavenEye/Sony iv with various lenses...I've had it for several days, testing practicing, resettting, rebalancing before taking to any events. I'm glad I still have my old and completely reliable Ronin-S, as I'm fairly ready To bail on the rs3-pro and glitchy Raveneye ASAP. Probably get another Ronin-S as I wouldn't expect the RS3-mini to be any more reliable than this...and DJI, save the autoreply regarding sending in videos and diagnostics...great drones though

Yeah i was using my rs3 mini yesterday day in a wedding shoot and it started flipping crazy and i had to turn it off and get the rest of the weeding shot on hand
2023-9-13
Use props
djiuser_GdU9CMmUlNfo
New
Flight distance : 1017 ft
United Kingdom

I have had similar issues with my rs3 mini.

It will report excellent balance, and then start vibrating and violently shaking side to side risking the monitor of the camera if extended out.

Sometimes it will work fine for a few moments and then it's really a great gimbal, but then will start vibrating and flipping side to side violently.

Happens with my Sony a7s3 or IV and any lens even if very light or heavy.

Very difficult to use on a wedding. feel bad to sell it on so kinda stuck with it now, please release a firmware update addressing these issues!
2023-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules